PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy in 4e

WarBrute
2009-10-04, 09:35 PM
Just some question about Alchemy in 4e dnd. For reference I only own the core books and the Eberron Players guide.

First, if a player opts to switch ritual casting with Alchemy, do you give them any “free” recipes to start with?

Also if they take the alchemy feat separately do you give them any “free” recipes?

Can artificer’s create alchemical items with just the master mixer feat or do they need the Alchemist feat as well?

Gralamin
2009-10-04, 09:56 PM
Just some question about Alchemy in 4e dnd. For reference I only own the core books and the Eberron Players guide.

First, if a player opts to switch ritual casting with Alchemy, do you give them any “free” recipes to start with?

Also if they take the alchemy feat separately do you give them any “free” recipes?

Can artificer’s create alchemical items with just the master mixer feat or do they need the Alchemist feat as well?

By RAW no to the first two, and Yes, just need Master Mixer, to the last.

If your focusing on Alchemy, Artificer -> Alchemist Savant is a good choice.

WarBrute
2009-10-04, 10:35 PM
Hmm. Its just seems odd that standard starting gold is 100gp and all the alchemy recipes are more than that. Especially when the suggested first feat for artificers is alchemy.

Gralamin
2009-10-04, 10:40 PM
Hmm. Its just seems odd that standard starting gold is 100gp and all the alchemy recipes are more than that. Especially when the suggested first feat for artificers is alchemy.

Alchemy really is something you have to do over many levels. Though, notably, some Adventurers Vault and Dragon recipes cost less then 100.

WarBrute
2009-10-04, 10:52 PM
... some Adventurers Vault and Dragon recipes cost less then 100.

I thought that might have been the case. I need to work on my 4e library

Thajocoth
2009-10-04, 11:22 PM
Personally, I'd give free recipes to them based on the free rituals they would otherwise get, but by RAW, no.

The Adventurer's Vault is the book you need for most Alchemy. There's probably some in the AV2 as well, but I have DDI now, so I can just look in the character builder for everything.

The builder actually gives you the free rituals that you get for free with your class, even if you take alchemy instead. Maybe you're supposed to have the ability to cast those regardless? Or you can hand them over to another party member who can cast rituals? I'm not sure... Perhaps this is a question to ask WotC. (They have a thingy for that on their site somewhere... I used it for another thread inwhich a few questions about the slowed condition came up.)

Kurald Galain
2009-10-05, 04:15 AM
The builder actually gives you the free rituals that you get for free with your class, even if you take alchemy instead. Maybe you're supposed to have the ability to cast those regardless? Or you can hand them over to another party member who can cast rituals?
Yeah, that would be a bug in the builder. By RAW, you can't use those rituals unless you take RC, and you can't "hand over" rituals known.