PDA

View Full Version : Help with some Big Bads

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-04, 11:48 PM
I need help statting out three baddies. A werewolf, a vampire and some sort of lich (or similar something). Each needs two basic builds, since I'm not sure which one is going to be the true Big Bad and which are going to be mini-bosses. It will be for level 6-7 adventure for a large group (six to eight players).

Basically, the group is intended to go after one of the three (say, the lich) and then another (say, the werewolf), both of which would be mini-bosses, and then they would take on the final baddie (the vampire) who would need to be the true Big Bad. If the group wants to take them Werewolf -> Vampire -> Lich, I will need the Lich to be the true Big Bad.

So, basically, I need them to be mostly modular. Anyone want to help a non-optimizer out with these guys?

PinkysBrain
2009-10-05, 12:23 AM
Assuming it's core only then I'd make the Lich a druid 11 (random CR1 race) with a summoning build ... he has to be a solo because he needs 11 caster levels, with animal companion and summoning he can still provide something more than just focus fire bait.

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-05, 02:57 PM
Core is preferred, but I would accept the full gamut of Monster Manuals and the Completes books for feats or classes and such.

Johel
2009-10-05, 03:04 PM
Since the three are templates, can you give us some background ?

For the werewolf, I would go for either a human barbarian or some high-Str humanoid. Unless you want a "full caster" team.

jiriku
2009-10-05, 03:08 PM
What power level do you want for the two builds? Should they be designed as solo monsters, or will they be encountered as part of a group? If they're encountered with a group, would you like stats for the other group members, or do you just want canned MM creatures to reduce complexity?

Johel
2009-10-05, 03:32 PM
Werewolf Ogre
Ogre form
Size/Type: Large Giant (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 4d8+2d8+24 (48 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft. in hide armor (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +7 natural, +3 hide armor), touch 8, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Greatclub +8 melee (2d8+7) or javelin +1 ranged (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Alternate form, wolf empathy, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +5, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (greatclub)
Challenge Rating: 5

Hybrid form
Size/Type: Large Giant (Shapechanger)
Initiative: +1
Speed: base speed 50 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: 2 Claws +7 melee (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Alternate form, wolf empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +6, Listen +3, Spot +3

Wolf form
Size/Type: Medium Giant (Shapechanger)
Initiative: +2
Speed: base speed 50 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+1 Dex, +7 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+9
Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d6+9)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft
Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Alternate form, wolf empathy, damage reduction 10/silver, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Climb +6, Listen +3, Spot +3

Add class level if you want but I think it's already good as a CR 5 encounter.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-05, 03:39 PM
I'd throw in random encounters to get most of the players up to level 7 ...

I'd make the vampire and lycanthrope encounters group encounters ... not a bad idea to use an ogre for the lycanthrope.

How about a werewolf ogre/fighter 2, spiked chain tripper build to keep things simple, backed up by wererat gnome cleric 5 and 2 x ranger 5 archers (these will try to take some distance, the cleric casts mass resist energy, spell from complete arcane, to protect them against fireballs at the start of combat).

woodenbandman
2009-10-05, 03:46 PM
For the vampire - Beguiler (PHB2)
Lich - Wizard
Werewolf - Cleric (moon domain not necessary).

The vampire should ideally be a mindgames encounter, with a maze and traps and illusions. He needn't be very challenging by himself at all, as long as the journey is worth it, and the players are satisfied when they KILL the bastard.

The Lich should just be cruel and evil, and try to kill them with his minions and avoid getting hit.

And the werewolf should try to kill them righteously. With claws and a bite.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-05, 03:58 PM
I need help statting out three baddies. A werewolf, a vampire and some sort of lich (or similar something). Each needs two basic builds, since I'm not sure which one is going to be the true Big Bad and which are going to be mini-bosses. It will be for level 6-7 adventure for a large group (six to eight players).

Basically, the group is intended to go after one of the three (say, the lich) and then another (say, the werewolf), both of which would be mini-bosses, and then they would take on the final baddie (the vampire) who would need to be the true Big Bad. If the group wants to take them Werewolf -> Vampire -> Lich, I will need the Lich to be the true Big Bad.

So, basically, I need them to be mostly modular. Anyone want to help a non-optimizer out with these guys?

Hexblade Lich. Get Practiced Spellcaster and he can Lich-out by 14th (7+4=11). Give him the ACF from PHB 2 (that Curse Companion thingy)
No one ever expects a decent melee Lich.

Vampire Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 5 with daring outlaw (letting levels stack for stuff)

Werewolf Marrulurk Ninja 8

See, now you have a Pirate, a Ninja, and a Warrior Lich (just because).

Johel
2009-10-05, 04:02 PM
If you go for the "Werewolf Ogre" (see up there), make sure the adventurers don't know what they're up against. They can know about the "werewolf" part but not the "ogre" part. Have the alpha werewolf create a few "werewolf goblins".

Now imagine the adventurer's face when they encounter a pack of wolves and think about it. They slaughter the first wave of wolves and they change back into goblins. But one lone black wolf, which looks like a big worg, remains behind.
"-Come and fight us !!"
But he runs away in the wood...

Second fight, the adventurers find the werewolven's den.
Several combats against hordes of goblins, werewolf goblins, worgs and regular wolven...and finally, that lone black wolf.

"-Ok, another goblin. I bet this one has even character levels, guy. Eh, sweety, hurry up and show your true face, now !!"
*Shapeshift Hybrid*
Half-wolf, half-ogre, towering at nearly 4 meters tall.
"-As you wish...sweety"
"-...Holy **** !!"

PinkysBrain
2009-10-05, 04:05 PM
The Lich should just be cruel and evil, and try to kill them with his minions and avoid getting hit.
With 11 full caster levels he can't really have minions on top of that ... unless you really really want a TPK.

jiriku
2009-10-05, 05:15 PM
With 11 full caster levels he can't really have minions on top of that ... unless you really really want a TPK.

Lich adept 11 FTW!

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-05, 05:23 PM
Lich adept 11 FTW!

Kobold Lich Adept 7/Commoner 4?

Mauril Everleaf
2009-10-05, 09:00 PM
You guys are awesome. Okay, a little backstory for those that wanted it.

The lich is going to be the necromancer that killed my character's father and a decade or two ago harassed the town I am starting the players are starting in. He isn't doing much, but my character learned he was there, hiding. He has little established fluff, since he was meant to be a nebulous evil.

The werewolf alpha is attacking the village because the vampire is increasing in power (and I'm keeping the vampire-lycanthrope animosity thing going). He otherwise had lived peacefully in the nearby forest with his pack. Making him an ogre seems entirely appropriate for the region.

The vampire is currently hiding in the village, masquerading as a priest. He's slowly thralling the village (increasing his power). He's the first contact the players are going to make in the city, right after a lycanthrope attack.

As far as power level, the players are really taking their first tries at optomizing, to varying degrees of success. There will be about seven players: a melee cleric, a timid favored soul, a (semi-)blaster mage, a crusader, a ranger, a fighter/rogue and a TWF rogue.

If you want to toss out groups, that would be awesome, but the early encounters should be slightly easier for me. I'm wanting this to be a slightly combat heavy adventure (since most of them have been combat light and I want a change of pace). If you want to build the final encounters, the rest should be simple enough.

Again, thanks. You're all awesome.