PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e question] Can a Bard sing and attack simultaneously?

Hashmir
2009-10-05, 01:57 AM
Well, pretty much what the thread title says. I was looking through the basic class descriptions, and I wanted to be absolutely clear on the use of Bardic Music (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm#bardicMusic): The description states that starting to sing is a standard action, and only songs requiring Concentration take up more standard actions. So does this mean that while singing (say, Inspire Courage), a Bard may continue to attack at will?

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

tyckspoon
2009-10-05, 02:00 AM
Yes. Unless otherwise stated, it requires no further action to continue a song, although certain styles of Perform may place limits on what else you can do while using them. Perform (string instrument of choice), for example, will usually occupy your hands and make it impossible to attack with them while sustaining a performance.

Hashmir
2009-10-05, 02:05 AM
Thanks a lot. This actually raises another question for me:

A Bard must make a Perform (Cha) check to begin his song. The Rage ability prohibits the use of Charisma-based skills, among other things. Does this mean that a character cannot begin a song, then Rage, and continue singing -- despite the fact that they need not make any more Perform checks?

Heliomance
2009-10-05, 02:08 AM
Bards don't need to make Perform checks to start singing. They simply need a certain number of ranks in Perform to be able to at all.

Hashmir
2009-10-05, 02:13 AM
Oh, you're right. I was confused due to skimming -- certain abilities require Perform checks to start (Countersong, Fascinate), but the ones I'm interested in do not.

I suppose this means that I can someday realize my dream of a magnificent gestalt Bardbarian. He plays the kazoo as he cleaves his foes, inspiring courage in his allies and steeling their resolve.

Thurbane
2009-10-05, 09:18 PM
This is the reason no sane Bard takes any other perform skill than sing (or oratory etc.) - magical instruments with minimum skill ranks notwithstanding. Why tie up your hands if you don't need to?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-05, 09:20 PM
Bonuses from masterwork instruments?

Arundel
2009-10-05, 09:28 PM
Masterwork fillings of proper pitch?

ericgrau
2009-10-05, 09:30 PM

This doesn't help the minimum rank requirement. But it does help you make better perform checks. Only thing is that rarely matters. You gotta roleplay it out, become famous, and then get connections in high places.

As for masterwork tooth fillings of singing... no, just no. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: A masterwork harmonica with neck attachment solves both problems. Except if I were to DM I'd house rule that harmonicas could not be masterwork b/c they're friggin' harmonicas. But in your games feel free to become a famous harmonica player.

Ernir
2009-10-05, 09:35 PM
I had an idea about a drummer bardbarian who attacked with the drumsticks. One man's skull is another's instrument, right? :smallsmile:

Now I want a Bard with a draconic vocal cord graft. :smallfrown:

Siosilvar
2009-10-05, 09:37 PM
This is the reason no sane Bard takes any other perform skill than sing (or oratory etc.) - magical instruments with minimum skill ranks notwithstanding. Why tie up your hands if you don't need to?

Why do that when you can be just awesome enough to play your guitar with one hand?

ericgrau
2009-10-05, 09:41 PM
Most brass instruments are played one handed.

Guitars aren't though.

But it really doesn't matter. The effect lasts after you stop performing anyway. And it's a standard action to continue to do so whether you're playing an instrument or singing. So with an instrument you play music before the combat starts, then drop or put away your instrument. So, ya, sane bards can use instruments.

Siosilvar
2009-10-05, 09:47 PM
Most brass instruments are played one handed.

Guitars aren't though.

Which was kind of the point of my post. You're awesome enough to play a guitar with one hand.

Douglas
2009-10-05, 10:08 PM
This doesn't help the minimum rank requirement. But it does help you make better perform checks. Only thing is that rarely matters. You gotta roleplay it out, become famous, and then get connections in high places.
I believe he was referring to the special bonuses from masterwork instruments in Complete Adventurer. For example, masterwork drums increase the damage and save bonuses from Inspire Courage by 1 at the cost of reducing the lingering time to 1 round instead of 5, and a harp (I think) increases your effective Bard level by 1 for determining the effects of your bardic music. There are about 8 or 9 of them listed, I think, each with a different special effect on bardic music.

Evil the Cat
2009-10-05, 10:16 PM
EDIT: A masterwork harmonica with neck attachment solves both problems. Except if I were to DM I'd house rule that harmonicas could not be masterwork b/c they're friggin' harmonicas. But in your games feel free to become a famous harmonica player.

Masterwork Harmonica.
http://www.uberreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/Six-Sided%20Harmonica.jpg

Alternatively, Because I'm evil that way.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RvjTPRCYghI/AAAAAAAAOmI/MhD0gLSQZ0s/s320/trumpetHarmonica.jpg

"This heirloom-quality music instrument is handmade by the famous Hohner instrument company, renowned makers of fine harmonicas for 150 years. This full concert octave harmonica faithfully reproduces the original 1907 design, and includes five meticulously crafted brass bells which produce the instruments vibrant sound. A solid pearwood comb forms the core of the harmonica, and it will not swell, even after years of playing, because it is the same wood used in orchestral recorders."

ericgrau
2009-10-06, 01:01 AM
Those aren't harmonicas, those are freaks of nature :smallbiggrin:.
I traced the websites using the image urls and sure enough the first is really a 6 sided harmonica, while the second is a trumpet harmonica whose main virtues are being oldy timey and using wood from a real instrument. Neither is all that special otherwise.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 01:09 AM

For awesomeness or for teh lolz :smallbiggrin:. I did make a guitar/axe that i played whilst clubbing people to death.

-Wrath