PDA

View Full Version : Beware the shadows in the trees.

The Mentalist
2009-10-05, 07:05 AM
Mordant Raven
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ¼ d8+3 (4 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-5 and poison)
Full Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-5 and poison)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Flock (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 1
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Poison (Ex): Contact, Fortitude DC 12, 1d3 Con/1d3 Con damage and anyone who fails a save is Sickened for 2d10 rounds. The save is Constitution based and includes a +2 racial bonus. Mordant Ravens are immune to their own venom and the venom of other Mordant Ravens.

Combat: Small flocks of ravens ambush their prey, clawing quickly and waiting for the venom to take effect. Both Talons are combined into a single attack.

A Mordant Raven can be acquired as a familiar with the Improved Familiar feat or as an Animal companion.

Debihuman
2009-10-05, 07:44 AM
Could use a little tweaking.

How does the poison get from the bird to its victim? If it has poisonous claws then "and poison" should be listed in the stat block. Is the poison a contact poison? It always helps to give a little description of the poison. Are mordant ravens immune to their own poison and the poinson of other mordant ravens? You didn't mention this. Under full attack you just list claws. You should state how many claws--I'd guess 2 as that is what birds have. Can these be used as familiars?

Also, are these particular to the Ravenloft setting?

Debby

The Mentalist
2009-10-05, 07:49 AM
Thank you Debbie for your quality advice as usual.

Editing now.

Also, not for Ravenloft actually, I just wanted some birds with poison. Any reason why you'd guess that? (Never played the setting myself.)

Debihuman
2009-10-05, 05:37 PM
Mordentshire is a domain in the Ravenloft setting. These birds fit the setting really well.

Poison -- If you make your Fort save, does it negate all the damage and the Sickening? Also, these birds could really use a +2 racial bonus on poison. DC 10 is a bit too easy. I assume the save is Con based but you didn't mention it. Also, it seems that the talons just have to touch you (Contact poison) rather than actually injure you and that should be stated. Here's how I would revise this:

Poison (Ex): Contact, Fortitude DC 12, 1d3 Con/1d3 Con damage and anyone who fails a save is Sickened for 2d10 rounds. The save is Constitution based and includes a +2 racial bonus. Mordant Ravens are immune to their own venom and the venom of other Mordant Ravens.

Debby