PDA

View Full Version : Pyromaniac's Spell Selection? (3.5)

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 08:24 AM
Ok, so...
Short story shorter, me and a new group are prepping for a new game we'd like to be prepared for this coming weekend.

One of our party is role-playing as someone with natural talent with fire, although he also may use spells relating to earth and air. (He's from the Desert, you see.)

His spell selection is very limited, and though I intend to do some in-depth searching later, this is what you guys tend to be good with.

So, my query to you!
What are some of the better/more versatile spells with the Fire, Earth, or Air descriptor? Or, for that matter, spells that might be thematically appropriate and don't have such a descriptor. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys might throw in, especially obscure ones that I might overlook.

Thanks in advance.

DragonBaneDM
2009-10-05, 08:34 AM
FIREBALL!!!

Sorry. Had to. Just had to... But also, what class/edition is this guy playing? I'm rusty on 3.5, but if it's 4th I could be quasi-helpful here.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 08:35 AM
Pfft I forgot to mention.

Unfortunately (?) it is 3.5, my good sir.

DragonBaneDM
2009-10-05, 08:36 AM
CURSES!!! Then I truly hope you'll accept my meager gift of bumping your thread and giving everyone a good giggle when they open it. :D

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 08:38 AM
Hey, I accept gifts freely, friend.
Thanks for trying to help.

BenTheJester
2009-10-05, 08:43 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MagErrata03162006.zip

Check the feat called Spell Thematics, it might interest you. Although I usually just roleplay my spells to look like what I want.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that.

Bayar
2009-10-05, 08:59 AM
Remember, there is no better way to show off as a pyromaniac than using the phrase: "I burn down the inn", "I set the inn on fire", "EVERYTHING BURRRNNNNSSSS !!!!" and "If the party member doesnt know how to start a fire, start it for him...preferably using him as fuel".

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 09:07 AM
Eh... I don't know if burning the other party members is the way he wants to go.

Yet.

JellyPooga
2009-10-05, 09:08 AM
Well anything with an Elemental Descriptor when combined with Elemental Substitution (Fire) feat will do...although you can produce some odd effects like that...e.g. an Otilukes Freezing Sphere [Fire] produces the PopTart effect (So Hot they're Cool!) by freezing water using fire damage :smallconfused:

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 09:11 AM
That's a pretty good idea. I'll have to check with him and see if he's willing to spend a feat on that later.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-05, 09:17 AM
So you just want fire related spells? Hm...

Heart of x, Orb of Fire, Fireburst, Fire Stride, Scorching Ray, Pyrotechnics... Hm, I'm sure there's more than that.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 09:20 AM
Hi Temet.

Yeah, definitely more than that. I'm just seeing if I can't get a healthy scoop of them before getting home to my books. Cuts time.

...Meteor Swarm is always an option, I suppose.

JeminiZero
2009-10-05, 09:49 AM
He might also want to take the Searing Spell feat (Sandstorm). For a +1 Spell level cost, the spell ignores fire resistance, and does half damage to fire immune creatures. Helps reduce one of the weaknesses of being entirely reliant on a single energy type.

Temet Nosce
2009-10-05, 09:58 AM
Hi Temet.

Yeah, definitely more than that. I'm just seeing if I can't get a healthy scoop of them before getting home to my books. Cuts time.

...Meteor Swarm is always an option, I suppose.

Ironically I just played a character like this, but he was mostly concentrated on Orb of Fire (and had a custom PrC granting other power over fire, so I rarely made use of fire spells other than Orb).

Well, if you're looking for Feats you may want to suggest Bloodline of Fire (+2 to CL for fire spells), and Energy Admixture (Fire) (lets you add fire damage to other spells... including fire spells).

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 09:59 AM
He might also want to take the Searing Spell feat (Sandstorm). For a +1 Spell level cost, the spell ignores fire resistance, and does half damage to fire immune creatures. Helps reduce one of the weaknesses of being entirely reliant on a single energy type.

Hmm. I think he already has an ability like that, meaning he could almost completely bypass fire resistance.

Now I just have to remember how metamagic works on spontaneous casters.

Also, Temet, what are those feats from?

Temet Nosce
2009-10-05, 10:09 AM
Also, Temet, what are those feats from?

Bloodline is from PGtF (Players Guide to Faerun) and Admixture is from CArc (Complete Arcane).

Scarlet Tropix
2009-10-05, 10:13 AM
I really need to look at Faerun more.
And Eberron.
And pretty much every expanded setting, honestly.

I'm woefully unfamiliar with them.

Darrin
2009-10-05, 04:00 PM
Ok, so...
What are some of the better/more versatile spells with the Fire, Earth, or Air descriptor? Or, for that matter, spells that might be thematically appropriate and don't have such a descriptor. I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys might throw in, especially obscure ones that I might overlook.

Start with Burning Hands. An old classic [fire] spell, damage is pretty yawn but it gets a lot more interesting when you slap Sculpt Spell on it.

Scorching Ray has some of the best damage output in the game. If you want to burn something, go here first before you start lobbing fireballs, so you avoid all that "save for half/evasion-neener-neener-neener!" nonsense.

Another one of the best [fire] spells is Flame Blade. Unfortunately, it's tediously difficult to get it onto a Sor/Wiz spell list. Fortunately, Flame Dagger (SC) is an almost identical spell. Another great substitute for a desert theme is Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm), untyped damage plus save vs. fatigue. For more mirth, add Energy Substitution + Born of Three Thunders + Persistent Spell (Range = 0, fixed) and Lyric Thaumaturge's Sonic Might, slather on some Maximize and Empower, and you've got an all-day touch attack with some decent no-save damage.

I've heard Combust (SC) leads to some outlandish combos, but I'm not familiar with them.

Orb of Fire is great for no-save damage plus a save vs. dazed, but you can use Energy Substitution for the other Orbs if you're looking for save vs. entangle, save vs. blinded, save vs. sickened, and so forth.

Most of your other great [fire] combos are probably going to be some other energy type plus Energy Substitution. Sonic Snap, for example, only does 1 sonic damage but it's no-save (well, the save is for deafness, not damage), but you can add Fell Energy Drain and all sorts of nastiness on top of that.

Charlie Kemek
2009-10-05, 04:09 PM
you could also be one of these. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm)

sofawall
2009-10-05, 04:28 PM
Nuclear Dan might be a good inspiration.

ericgrau
2009-10-05, 05:04 PM
From low level to high: gust of wind (might be better on a scroll), endure elements (ditto), wind wall (ditto), scorching ray, illusions - especially hallucinatory terrain, resist energy, flaming sphere, maybe a phantom steed, fireball of course, ray of exhaustion, maybe daylight, maybe leomund's tiny hut, flame arrow, protection from energy, slow, fire shield, wall of fire, wall of stone, transmute mud to rock, repulsion (?), mass bear's endurance, move earth (only when given prep time), delayed blast fireball, waves of exhaustion, control weather (only when given prep time, see DMG weather rules), sunburst, imprisonment, meteor swarm.

woodenbandman
2009-10-05, 05:39 PM
Nuclear Dan might be a good inspiration.

http://agc.deskslave.org/comics/AGC6.GIF

Faerie FIRE!!!

jiriku
2009-10-05, 06:06 PM
Blast of flame (SC). It bypasses spell resistance.
Fire shield. Control Winds (get your dust storm on). Control Weather (hotter and drier).

Consider the domain wizard variant class or that feat that I can't remember what it's called from complete divine that lets a wizard put a domain on his spell list. Either would let you cast divine spells from the sun domain, which includes searing light, flame strike, fire seeds, and sunbeam.

In general, hit up the Sandstorm splatbook for tons of useful character options.

JellyPooga
2009-10-05, 06:09 PM
Consider the domain wizard variant class or that feat that I can't remember what it's called from complete divine that lets a wizard put a domain on his spell list. Either would let you cast divine spells from the sun domain, which includes searing light, flame strike, fire seeds, and sunbeam.

Or go Sorcerer and take the variant from Complete Champion that gives you a Domain (including granted power) and take the Fire Domain and channel the power of elemental flame to control creatures with the [Fire] subtype.

lvl 1 sharnian
2009-10-05, 07:46 PM
Two PrCs to make it unstoppable:

Take a couple levels of Elemental Savant to give most of your spells the Fire Descriptor.

Then take Santified One of Kord, makes all your Fire damage 1/2 divine damage.

With the Searing Flames feat, Fire Immune enemies still take 75% of damage from your spells and you can blast with whatever you want.

kme
2009-10-06, 06:46 AM
Here are some mostly blasting fire spells from spell compendium:

Ray of Flame: It's like a flaming magic missile, sort of.
Combust: Solid damage with no save but touch, good candidate for reach spell.
Fire Shield mass: It can be useful. Remember that you don't have to be hit, only attacked, and protection is also nice.
Fire Stride: Very flavorful :smallwink:.
Fireburst greater: It can deal a lot of damage but probably requires sculpting.
Body of the sun: It's cool enough that you don't want to miss it :smallcool:.
Shroud of Flame: This spell is normally not very useful but if you can cast it on someone who cannot remove it and then retreat, it can deal a lot of damage. Extend it and it doubles.
Burning blood: You make someones blood burn, one of the better spells.
Lucent Lance: This is a light spell not fire but it may still meet the criteria. No save untyped damage and blindness for one round.
Radiant Assault: This is also light but its very good.

some other:
Lingering Flames (Complete Mage): It's a blast that is also a battlefield control, not bad.
Firestride exhalation (Dragon magic): It's nice and flavorful.
Mark of the enlightened soul (Dragon Magic): not a blast or fire related, but useful to all blasters.

Thespianus
2009-10-06, 07:31 AM
You missed Firebrand from SpC.

It's the ultimate pyromaniac spell: 1 5ft fireburst / level, each burst give 1D6/level (max 10D6) damage on the first round and 1D6/2 levels the next round.

There's a lot of D6s to roll, but it might not cause too much damage. However, it's just crazy amounts of fire streaking about, exploding everywhere, fire, fire, fire, huh-huh, and it burns..burns... BURNS into the next round too.. huh-huh.. Burns..fire..hehe..fire..fire.. hehe...

Then..then..you can cast another one...and ..well..uhm...one more.. fire. fire..pretty. burning..hehe...fire.

Oh..uhm..Aaaanyways... It's fun. :)

Gametime
2009-10-07, 12:30 AM
While largely unrelated to casting fire spells, the Sand Shaper prestige class (Sandstorm) is pretty much all about the desert mage angle. It isn't fire-focused, but none of the class ability would make a poor addition to a flame mage's repertoire - in particular, getting free metamagics per day is a nice way to make those booms big ones.

Myrmex
2009-10-07, 12:51 AM
Ironically....

Like RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN on your wedding day?

Sorry.:smalltongue:

Kylarra
2009-10-07, 01:02 AM
He'll definitely want the fiery burst reserve feat. Partially for +1cl to fire spells, but more importantly, all day burning.

Godskook
2009-10-07, 01:04 AM
As a couple of very left-field suggestions:

Dragonfire Adept - Breathing fire fits the pyro theme. These guys get it at-will, and the class features to back it up reasonably well. Con-dependent breath weapon means that mental stats are reasonably free for roleplaying desires.

Swordsage - The Desert Wind discipline fits very, very well with a guy who loves fire and deserts, making this fairly custom made for this guy.

ericgrau
2009-10-07, 02:42 AM
Now I just have to remember how metamagic works on spontaneous casters.

1. Apply any metamagic you want on the fly to your normal spells. Ya, this is awesome.
2. Mark off 1 spell slot from the metamagic adjusted spell level.
3. Increase the casting time to a full round action, or add a round for a spell that already takes a full round action or more o cast.

Godskook
2009-10-07, 09:01 AM
1. Apply any metamagic you want on the fly to your normal spells. Ya, this is awesome.
2. Mark off 1 spell slot from the metamagic adjusted spell level.
3. Increase the casting time to a full round action, or add a round for a spell that already takes a full round action or more o cast.

4.Pick up Rapid Metamagic(from complete mage) at L9, so you can ignore #3.