PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Boosts

Mongoose87
2009-10-05, 12:43 PM
So, I've got a level 25 Cursader/Paladin/Ruby Knight Windicator, and he's about to gain three levels. I'm thinking that I want to make a two-level dip into either Swordsage or Warblade, in order to grab a few nice boosts, to use with my Divine Impetus class feature, but I'm not sure which boosts would suit my needs. He's mostly built around lance charging on a mount, and has pretty much all of the most useful maneuvers a Crusader could access. Any advice?

Fluffles
2009-10-05, 02:00 PM
Teehee, Ruby Knight Windicator :smallbiggrin:

sofawall
2009-10-05, 02:21 PM
What, isn't that how it's printed?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-05, 02:23 PM
Ya, level 25 Cursader/Paladin/Ruby Knight Windicator. Sounds like a Hexblade/Paladin/RKV.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 02:27 PM
Man, we're nitpicky today. Too bad it's HILARIOUS. :smallamused:

Also, I wish I could help ya out man, but I'm still laughing at the Windicator remarks. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 02:38 PM
Both would probably get you the best bang for your buck. Assuming 10 levels of RKV, you'd have an IL of 17.5 for the first level, 18.5 for your second level, and 19 for your 3rd level if you went W/S/W or S/W/S.

So yea...you can pretty much pick any boosts in the game. My first idea involves Raging Mongoose and Girallon Windmill Fleshrip. That would give you +2 attacks unless you are duel wielding, then it would give you 4. The 2nd would give you a HUGE rend attack. Doing both in a round would cost you 1 TU attempt. There is also Inferno Blade, the Desert Wind one that gives +3d6+IL PER HIT. You're IL will be pretty high, and that'll actually probably result in more dice than GWF, especially combined with Raging Mongoose.

Then there is always Sudden Leap or Quicksilver Motion if you want to abuse free movement, but in that respect, you are probably better off taking Travel Devotion which lets you move as swift action once activated. Then you can just pump TU attempts into moving REALLY fast, without having to use Divine Recovery to recoup SL or QM.

Whatever you do though, don't Dismiss a Persisted Extended Footsteps of the Divine! Just don't do it!

Douglas
2009-10-05, 02:43 PM
Whatever you do though, don't Dismiss a Persisted Extended Footsteps of the Divine! Just don't do it!
That one's not even debatably RAW valid any more. Footsteps of the Divine is explicitly a dischargeable spell thanks to errata and is therefore not eligible for Persistent Spell.

Darrin
2009-10-05, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking that I want to make a two-level dip into either Swordsage or Warblade, in order to grab a few nice boosts, to use with my Divine Impetus class feature, but I'm not sure which boosts would suit my needs. He's mostly built around lance charging on a mount, and has pretty much all of the most useful maneuvers a Crusader could access. Any advice?

Warblade would allow you to pick up the Diamond Mind counters that replace your various Will/Ref/Fort saves for Concentration checks. These may not be any use to you if you haven't been maxing out Concentration up to this point. Other than those, Warblade is a bit thin on boosts/counters... Wall of Blades is keeper. Sudden Leap is obviously awesome, but requires another Tiger Claw maneuver. Punishing Stance is another great way to pile on a little more extra damage (particulary if you're trying to optimize Aura of Chaos), and of course Iron Heart Surge isn't a boost but is tremendously useful.

Swordsage would allow you to pick up the Desert Wind boosts, such as Burning/Searing/Inferno Blade. However, these work best for multiple attacks/TWF builds, and the fire-based damage could be situationally useless, particularly as you get up into higher levels and resistance/immunity becomes more common. Still, great way to boost damage, and even the lower-level manuevers scale up +1 damage per IL. Fire Riposte is also a neat little counter. You also get enough maneuvers you can probably pick up all the Desert Wind and Diamond Mind boost/counters, and have enough skill points to max out Concentration. Oh, and I almost forgot Cloak of Deception if you don't have it already! If you can't have fun with greater invisibility for a round, you're not trying hard enough.

There are some counters in Setting Sun, but I've never messed much with that discipline. Counter Charge is a nice Power-Attack Spoiler, but I'd take Wall of Blades over Baffling Defense any day, and trying to remember how Feigned Opening works is a pain in the tuchus.

The other thing dipping into Swordsage gets you is two stances, which may be worth it all on its own. You'll want to ask your DM how he would adjudicate Island of Blades for a mounted attacker (does the mount underneath you count as "adjacent"?), but that's a good one if you want the undying love of any rogues in your party. I've always loved Assassin's Stance, but since you're mounted... not sure there are a lot of stances that help with that. Then again, Dance of the Spider, while it doesn't do anything for your mount, is immensely useful for getting around innumerable dungeoneering problems.

Mongoose87
2009-10-05, 03:15 PM
I won't be persisting anything - I don't have the feats to spare for that, at the moment.

Also, I should have mentioned, he's a Paladin of the Silver Flame, and Travel Devotion simply won't suit the character concept.

I was thinking about Quicksilver Motion - I have an absurdly powerful CHA booster, so I have Turning attempts out the wazoo, and it would be pretty sweet to be able to back off, then charge, every round, considering between the Lance and Spirited Charge, I have x3 damage, and I have both War Leader and War Master's Charge, which help my charges a decent amount.

Mongoose87
2009-10-05, 03:24 PM
Warblade would allow you to pick up the Diamond Mind counters that replace your various Will/Ref/Fort saves for Concentration checks. These may not be any use to you if you haven't been maxing out Concentration up to this point. Other than those, Warblade is a bit thin on boosts/counters... Wall of Blades is keeper. Sudden Leap is obviously awesome, but requires another Tiger Claw maneuver. Punishing Stance is another great way to pile on a little more extra damage (particulary if you're trying to optimize Aura of Chaos), and of course Iron Heart Surge isn't a boost but is tremendously useful.
The various save replacers are largely useless to me - my lowest save is 37. Iron Heart Surge, on the other hand, is always intriguing.

The other thing dipping into Swordsage gets you is two stances, which may be worth it all on its own. You'll want to ask your DM how he would adjudicate Island of Blades for a mounted attacker (does the mount underneath you count as "adjacent"?), but that's a good one if you want the undying love of any rogues in your party. I've always loved Assassin's Stance, but since you're mounted... not sure there are a lot of stances that help with that. Then again, Dance of the Spider, while it doesn't do anything for your mount, is immensely useful for getting around innumerable dungeoneering problems.
My DM actually allowed me to apply the bonus Leadership feat I received from my Cha item to my mount. Now, in addition to flying armor, it also has Dance of the Spider.

EDIT: One thing that has me leaning towards Swordsage is that i also have a massive Wisdom booster, which could make my AC very shiny.

sofawall
2009-10-05, 04:09 PM
Man, we're nitpicky today. Too bad it's HILARIOUS. :smallamused:

Also, I wish I could help ya out man, but I'm still laughing at the Windicator remarks. :smallbiggrin:

What do you mean picky? The class is actually known in optimization as the Windicator.

Mongoose87
2009-10-05, 04:25 PM
What do you mean picky? The class is actually known in optimization as the Windicator.

That, or I type with a German accent :smalltongue:

jiriku
2009-10-05, 05:29 PM
That, or I type with a German accent :smalltongue:

rofl rofl rofl!

Go SS, for the AC, stances, and counters. Definitely. +1 for raging mongoose and inferno blade. Heck, use them both at once.