PDA

View Full Version : Shackled City conundrum (spoilers)

Telonius
2009-10-05, 01:02 PM
Hey folks. I'm currently DMming in the Shackled City adventure path, and I wanted to know if anyone else had this experience. We've just reached the end of Chapter 1, and my players have saved the orphans and cleared out the Malachite Fortress. My problem is: Chapter 2 says that the players should be "around 3rd level," but my group of four players is already well into 4th. The adventure path doesn't have the players expected to be 4th level until Chapter 3.

Now, Chapter 2 seems to me to be a bit of a softball. A bunch of goblin mooks, some were-rats, a couple decently-statted mercenaries and a nerfed vampire. Still, the party is at a low enough level that the encounters by rights should be giving them XP. If I run them through Chapter 2, they'll probably level up at least once before the chapter runs out.

I'm seriously considering skipping the chapter entirely so that Chapter 3 remains challenging. Although the party isn't very optimized for builds, their tactics are generally solid. There is some plot development in Chapter 2, but it doesn't seem like anything I couldn't handwave. Possibly even say that the Stormblades fulfilled this mission while the players were dealing with Kazmojen. Any advice?

Party composition:
Warforged Warblade4. Powerful class, but player is very disorganized - forgets doubled bonus to 2h power attack, etc. (This is the guy who, when we were running Age of Worms, went eight Fighter levels and forgot to add feats...:smalleek:)
Dwarf Artificer3/Rogue1. Experienced player, focuses on roleplay.
Halfling Druid4. First-time player; shapeshifter variant.
Human Monk2/Sorcerer2. Houseruled Monks get full BAB; player is aiming for Enlightened Fist.
(We had an inexperienced Cleric, but he's no longer in the group. I gave the party belts of Healing, and they haven't noticed much of a difference so far).

The Tygre
2009-10-05, 05:50 PM
Okay, as a fellow Cauldron DM, I'm going to give you this gentle advice.

SKIP.

THAT.

$HIT.

Trust me, it's easier to just move on to the next canon adventure. Personally, I'd salvage the goblins for later, but for right now, that section of the book is just padding.

Also, you will go here (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/olderProducts/dungeon/shackledCity) and RPGenius (http://therpgenius.pbworks.com/FrontPage). Look for stuff by Delvesdeep; he's practically the god of Shackled City.

Fax Celestis
2009-10-05, 05:52 PM
Played through that chapter myself. It's skippable, barring specific circumstances for your party.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-10-05, 06:28 PM
Yeah, it is pretty skippable. It's like filler. and not particularly good filler unless you jack up the CR's; which would exacerbate the problem. but chap 3 and 4 are integral. My players had a good time with the drinking contest with lord V.

Telonius
2009-10-06, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Yeah, it is pretty skippable. It's like filler. and not particularly good filler unless you jack up the CR's; which would exacerbate the problem. but chap 3 and 4 are integral. My players had a good time with the drinking contest with lord V.

Oh yeah, our Warforged is going to love that one. :smallbiggrin: