PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Housewives. More out there than science fiction?

Pika...
2009-10-05, 01:13 PM
I see bits and parts of this series, because quite a few of my female family members watch it at all their homes, Tivo it, or watch it on Youtube.

I am not hating on the show, but I love watching/reading/roleplaying both Fantasy and Sci-Fi and I find I am able to suspend disbelief much better with those genres. Am I the only person who finds this show a bit more out-there and hard to believe than traveling the galaxy through wormholes?

Trai
2009-10-05, 02:46 PM
I've never watched it, but I have family members who did (they stopped long ago). From what I understand, Desperate Housewives is more of a "soap opera" of sorts that a straight drama. They know they're being ridiculous and out there.

I haven't watched an actual soap opera, but I have watched American teen ones (Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill). They're not exactly the most realistic things in the world. I love One Tree Hill dearly, but the writing can get out there. A girl is stalked through her webcam and podcasts by a guy claiming to be her half-brother. The son of two of the characters is kidnapped twice (once successfully, once not) by his psychotic nanny; the second time leads to her being shot to death by the kid's grandfather, a paroled murderer, who she happened to kidnap in order to get access to the kid...

(This is also the show where one of the pregnant female characters, a teenager, was hit by a car and badly injured. Her friend who had a heart condition witnessed the accident and promptly collapsed of a heart attack. I'm telling you, it gets weird.)

So, yeah, I think something like Desperate Housewives is probably aware of how out there it is. And I'm sure it can get pretty out there.

Astrella
2009-10-05, 05:04 PM
I see bits and parts of this series, because quite a few of my female family members watch it at all their homes, Tivo it, or watch it on Youtube.

I am not hating on the show, but I love watching/reading/roleplaying both Fantasy and Sci-Fi and I find I am able to suspend disbelief much better with those genres. Am I the only person who finds this show a bit more out-there and hard to believe than traveling the galaxy through wormholes?

I think that's more a consequence of the show dragging on. I've seen the first two seasons, but remember stopping with the third because I felt they were milking it. And yesterday my mum told me they're already on season five. :smalleek:

I think it's pretty general in soap series and the like, when you run out of the more common scenarios you have to come up with more oddball stuff.

tribble
2009-10-05, 05:17 PM
It might be that you find physics-defying modes of travel easier to believe because you actually want to believe in that. does anybody actually want to believe there are people out there who behave like these characters?

warty goblin
2009-10-05, 05:28 PM
The trick to enjoying Desperate Housewives is to Not Think About The Plot. The plot doesn't make sense, isn't interesting, and often downright laughable, and not in a good way.

The plot does exist to deliver the characters, and the characters exist to deliver witty dialog that's just a little bit past the believable so as to be amusing. If you like dialog, and don't mind the rediculous, it's a good show. Otherwise it's really not.

Same as House, Md., really.