PDA

View Full Version : Another Campaign Journal : Swords of the Soverign

Voldecanter
2009-10-05, 01:32 PM
This is a Campaign Journal for a hopefully long-running Campaign I am currently playing in and Dming in (Our Group is taking turns Alternating DM's) . I am writing up a journal so that the Player's can keep up with the story if we don't manage to get a game in for a while (and some players need reminding of what they have already done) .Since Campaign Journals seem to be popular right now , I will post Session Entrys if it seems people like it or are interested in reading . If I have time I will post some DM posts as-well , so to give What I have homebrewed for Future Refrence if any DM's out there want some inspiration . Some Music to Pass the Time ? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ek5j4MsKCE&NR=1)

The Party :
Count Rahl Alcare (Yours Truly)CG Noble 2/Spiritor 1Complete BackstoryCount Rahl Alcare - A Character's Tale -

Rahl was born into the Middle Nobility of the Danon Mountains within the Dararun Region . His family's rise to wealth were threefold , Mining , Farming and Politics . Rahl's father , Rolandile , was a stern and oft abusive brute who took to lashing out at the families Enemies , for House Alcare is still one of the most Powerful in the local region . Rolandile , had assasians , and goons at his whims , ready to strike in the shadows to take down the scions of other Noble Houses that threatened his Power . Rolandile had set up a marriage to Shan Marikara , a women of the High Noblity for his son Rahl but , Rahl refused , prefering his studying in Academics and The World Around him .

Rahl's Mother , was another story , she was simply Known as the Hostess . The Hostess tried to Up one the parties of the High Nobility , with their fancy Balls and Endless Parties . She most often Succeeded and Keep Alcare , Grew to accomodate more Space for the Nigh Endless Noble Parties . Rahl was told to look for alliances here , to gain close friends with some of the Other Houses so that if a house war ever broke out , he could be safe by assembling what resources him and his friends could muster .

Rahl's Keep and Childhood home stood outside of a farming Community . It was beutiful with a nearby lake that Rahl often took to swiming in . His Mother always sent Body Guards and spys to keep a protective eye on the young boy , and Rahl believed they always scared away other young children .

Rahl's Older Brother : Fillian , had always been their for Rahl , he protected him from the vengful hand of his Father , The Degedency of their Mother , and even took the fall for childhood tomfoolery on several occasions . Rahl thought that if he never had a best friend in life , that would be enought for he would always have Fillian . But one day that all changed , There was a disturbance in the local mountains , a case of Bewitchment , and Fillian was called upon by the Swords to command some of the local militia . Unfortunately , there was a heavy Avalanche , killing all involved , including Fillian Alcare . When News reached Rahl's ears , before his 15th birthday , he snaped , going into the stable . Rahl knelt near an empty Stable to Weep , when in this fit of Sadness , Objects Began to Float around him - Rahl thought that whatever had killed those men had come down from the mountains- . Telling his father , that the Stable was Bewitched , the Local Stable Boy was killed in an Execution , Carried out by Rahl himself (Forced by his father) . On his 15th birthday Rahl's Father brought him a women , Jana Kedar ,little to Rahl's Knowledge this was the time that Rolandile believed it was Rahl's time to become a man . The Rape of this Women Still Haunts Rahl , much like the Boy he was forced to kill .

After Several Other Incidents of Bewitchments , Rahl began to believe that he was the source of Bewitchment , that he was one of the Soul-less , SomeOne that had Caused his Brother's Death . He was an Abomination , he didn't deserve to live , but yet he knew that he was a good person . Perhaps he thought , that although all others are evil and corrupt he could be the one Man that Used this Curse as a blessing .

And in Memory of His Older Brother , Rahl played the part of the Good Noble , he did what his parent's wanted him to do , for one simple reason : To hide who he truly was . In his spare time , Rahl managed to procure several forbidden Items , One , A Book of LuCathlain Gem and Herb Lore . Rahl managed to read this , and use some Gems and Herbs with his powers of 'Bewitchment' . Rahl also found several LuCathlain spells outlined in those books , but they didn't work , Rahl believes that they are fake spells or else they would have worked . However , He found that if he concentrated on the gems he looks at or wants to find , They Give off a slight glow , and he has developed the ability to use his mind to move light objects . He keeps this secret heavily guarded exept to his closest friends . And these gems give off some of the magickal effects that the LuCathlain book called 'Spells' . Rahl also gained knowledge of the Magickal Uses of Herbs within his Self-Taught Magickal Studies .

Rahl's Education was of the Noble Standard , He was taught how to act like a noble , how to survive in the wilderness , how to read and write , how to swing a sword , How to do basic math , and of course history and religion (the kind nobles have to know)

Shan Marikara , the now 20 year old girl , spurned by Rahl's emotions , is now a powerful enemy of our Hero . She has already sent several Assasins to kill Rahl , but Rahl is more concerned about Her Discovering about his powers .

Mylee Canavra was a good friend to Rahl , she replaced the boy at the stables , where Rahl used to go to Hide . Rahl developed a very deep love for her , She was the brown haired girl who helped her father - the Stablemaster- . She was smarter than most of the Nobles Rahl had met , She was beuty Incarnate , a jewel in pile of Coal . She loved him also , They spent many times 'under the hay' . Once Rahl found out about his 'powers' he was afraid to be around her intamately , in the same manner as they did before . Rahl had her sent away , to where he doesn't know himself . He told her that he would never love another women as long as she lived, and that one day , he hoped they could share a marital Bed .

Rahl regrets doing that to his one and only True Love . He has vowed to find Mylee and Have her hand in Marriage .

Rahl ever since his Brother's Death has also seen his Brother's Ghost several times . Wandering the World . Rahl Belives that an Evil Spiritor used his power to cause the Avalache that night and Rahl is content with finding out who that was . Rahl sometimes wonders if he Could seek out one of the Soul-less from Across the Mountains , in the Far - off Kingdom of Augur , where the spirits of the dead have been known to come back to life .

When Looking at his Father's Mining Maps , there was an Anomally within one of the Scrolls , Something of an Almost Hallowed out Portion of One of the Mines . Rahl thinks that This place was a place where Spiritors could go , given they needed to hide . He plans on One day going to this place and if finding an evil Spiritor deep within the Mountains , Will report them to the Swords of the Soverign (Future Affiliation) .

Rahl's Father , Has also been sending Assasins to kill Rahl off , the Family is now going to one of Rahl's more 'Deserving' Cousins .

Rahl now relies on the friendship he has made since early childhood .

Some of his future plans are to go into a 'self-imposed exile' so that one day , after he has gained some fame , take over his family from the vicious hands of his father . Rahl plans on developing his powers to help others . He plans on going to his families' mines and seeking out the strange 'places of Spiritors' , and if life gets truly horrible Rahl has vowed to Leave to the Lands of the Soul-less , where it is fabled that men carry words of Enchantment and There souls are burned out of their bodies through powerful and black magicks .

Some Secrets about Rahl that only his close friends would now :

He Has Powers

He Worships not the Sovereign , but One of the Aspects from around the World , he Worships the Aspect of Spirit but he doesn't know enought about other religions to actually believe in it , He couldn't find any Lore about other Religions other than that Religions other than the One of the State are Tainted and Corrupted , They draw the soul out of the Body with the play toys they give mortals - 'magick' .

Traits of Rahl :
Martyr : Rahl expects to not die in Vain , and is going to use his powers to help people and set the evils of not only his family but of the World right , he doesn't know how , or if it is possible but he Knows he has to do something .

Heltar True Netural Rogue 2 : Heltar's Backstory Heltar entered the lives of Rahl, Thi'kius and Zoodius when they were about age 4. Rahl's father hired him to be an example to Rahl of how a man should behave, why he was chosen it is not known. At the time, he was 12 years old and did not really spend much of his time with the boys, prefering to wander off into town, for what they never learned. He started to give the boys more time when Rahl turned seven, as he was then hired to be a tutor, for he was more intelligent than most of the Count's most trusted advisors, he showed promise. Over the years he would become not just a teacher but a friend of Rahl's.

Heltar had always been odd. When he first arrived, he was strangely alert and attentive, always watching and listening, a trait few boys have. It was not understood why, but it is something that he continues to do to this day. He is also always pondering, speaking at the wrong moments,but getting his point across. He always seems angry about something, but no one dares ask. The last time someone asked him they ended up tied upsidedown from a tower balcony, gagged so that no one would here him scream. Although the man accused Heltar none believed him as no man could be overpowered by a thirteen year old boy. Heltar would always leave at night, once, Rahl tried to follow him, he came to a balcony that was 30 feet above the grounds. When he asked Heltar what he did at night, Heltar told him that men must always follow through with their plans and that any nosy little children that get in the way should be silenced.

One aspect that is very odd is Heltar's acceptance of magic. He believes that those who fear it are fools as it is no less natural than an arm or a leg. This makes him very indifferent towards it, like many other things. He therefore does not care that Rahl can wield magic, unlike Zoodius who loathes magic and cannot bear to see Rahl wield it, or Thi'kius who will withstand it but would give up Rahl should he ever use it in a situation where it is most ill fated.

And thats all you get to know, the rest is a Unknown to all but the Character's Player ! Zoodious FoCash True Neutral Fighter 2and Thikiuious FoCash True Neutral Mercenary 2 : Backstory These two are twins , They come from a Mercenary Fighting Bloodline that has ended exept for them , Zoodious FoCash, and Thikiuious FoCash Seems to readibly hate magic , and even plan on turning on Rahl if their Arses are in hot water with his .

Campaign Premise:
Four Children who have grown up together since child-hood, have decided to make their mark into manhood together. They live in a world that is most mystical and mysterious. The Danon Peoples have lived in the Great Mountains of the Eastlands since the great Exile Wars in the Land of Prophets. Ever since then, magic has been lost to those of the Danon bloodlines, save the damned. Magic is a tool of the soulless, demons who steal the body and soul of babes in the womb, having the afflicted child unleashed upon the world, waiting for the time that magic will unmake all of creation. This reasoning for magic is unique to the Danon , having magic been barred to their kind for so long , these people see it as superstition or in some cases dies-believe it completely .

In truth Magic is born into all things natural, and thus natural and divine in its own right -if only the Danon knew- . Those few unlucky individuals who have been born with the ‘gift’ are actually reincarnations of past Highbourne Magi of Old, whose magic shaped the world and destiny of all, now they are slaves to their mortal flesh without knowledge of who they once were –save feelings of loss and grief- .

The Danon are splintered into small kingdoms and regions that are isolated from the rest of the world, tucked deep into the mountains infested with ember stone –the eater of magic- . Here they have developed a society based upon Philosophy of social contract and unity. They worship ‘the sovereign’ the creator of all things , the Danon church claims that all gods do not truly exist , they are simply different ‘aspects’ or reflections of the greater picture , the Sovereign , who answers to no one . Our Story starts in the Large Region of DaraRun, in the village of the same name.

DaraRun is home to the famous Templar society, Swords of the Sovereign, who hunt down the evil demon-born Spiritors (that’s what they call, witches, or magic-users). Duke Ancev a man that has been blessed with long life by the sovereign, age of 70, created the templar’s and commands them to the best of his abilities.

The Once small farming village of DaraRun thanks to the Sovereign now has walls and gates, watch-towers a Cavalry Squad, Trade-Imports, Noble Lawyers, Blacksmith services and wood-working services. The Villagers have been forced to give up farming and welcome in Travelers that Perform for the local Inns and Taverns all thanks to The Swords. Those who believed that they could make a better living working the land, moved along to the Farming Hamlets just a few miles from the DaraRun Town. Our Four Young Men currently sit in the Town’s Second-Rate Tavern and Inn, The Plotting Hook –An Indication that the swords have brought more than Iron and Steel to this small Village- .

Session 1 !:

In the Orange Glow of the Candles within the plotting hook, Count Rahl Alcare sits down with his Friends Heltar, Zoodious FoCash, and Thikiuious FoCash. Rahl clutches his traveler’s Cloak and Robe about him still paranoid that he will be spotted or recognized for what he is , a Noble of House Alcare , and secondly a Spiritor . He has never understood why his friends have always stayed with him all of these years, but a part of him has faith that his powers can be used for good, and therefore somewhere within their heart of hearts, they know that magic isn’t always inherently evil. Although Rahl isn’t about to ask for their opinions in fear that they will turn him over to the Church for unending Torture and eventual death. Placing a few ripped sheets on the table while the Two FoCash eats their foods and drinks their meads. Heltar looks to the other Tavern Members seeing if any of them are spying on them or whathaveyou.

“While Searching through my father’s study before taking what gold I could muster and leaving, I found journal writings that four Swords went into the Mountains West of the Town of DaraRun, searching for accounts of Bewitchments and Sorcery; Never coming back, there is a reward for finding them and I bet that we could join the Swords and get some gold as-well.”

That very night, the Four Men left The Plotting Hook, and came to an empty, shadow-filled store, closed for the rest of the night. The Mountaineering Store had been there since before the Swords, a once small hobby shop for Explorers to find what they need. Today it is much more than a simple store with many Industry Worked Items, too expensive to the general public. Rahl offers himself to Sentry after admitting that this is far beyond what he wants to do to get inventory to find the missing Swords.

Heltar looks at the lock and quickly picks the simple farming village lock on the door. Once inside, Thikiuious, Zoodious and Heltar begin pillaging the Store’s Inventory.

“Lantern ….Check…..”
“Oil…..Check…..”

Looking at the twin brothers , Heltar sneaks around to where the store-owner would sit during store hours , walking over a loose plank …Heltar finds and uncovers a large Glowing Amethyst Stone , along with a bag of the store’s collected gold , before anyone else notices what he has found , Heltar uses his quick hands to stuff the goods in his pockets .

“Immense Wealth …..Check” Heltar mumbles to himself.

After some time, Outside the Store: Rahl heard distance voices of Sword Patrols looking for trouble to solve. Rahl quickly Closes the door with his powers, and decides to act increasingly drunk. When the patrol comes close enough to ask “Who Goes there”, all they saw was Rahl doubling over himself, while his friends pillage the shadow filled store.

“I am Count Rahl of House Alcare, How goes it Templers?”

“Ah, Noble, our apologies, someone as wealthy as you shouldn’t be about this time of night well, with the commoners and all wanting to live better lives.”
“Then I will be about my way then, just let me catch myself, I will be about the nearest Rain Barrel for just a few moments.”

Looking somewhat amused the Swords Patrollers leave in the other direction towards the Taverns, leaving the Noble and unknowingly the Thieves to themselves.

After the four got whatever they needed, the party leaves immediately on foot for the mountains, where they will find what they are looking for. Just outside of town strange Children of Darkness attacked, with the shape of children but the likeness and evil of a plagued rat. Several Arrows later the vile thing was shot to death only leaving it’s stench behind.

“Rahl, may you please carry these ropes they are starting to weigh me down”
“No!” Rahl quickly replies to Heltar
“Why not fool?”
“Well for one, I don’t want to carry anything; I have some liquor in my pack, a short sword at my side and my soul, that’s all I need.”

“I thought you didn’t have a soul, Demon-Boy?” Thikiuious snarls
“I thought you didn’t believe that.” A sad voice spurts from Rahl.

“Oh, I kind of do, I mean DEMONS!” The Mercenary gives back.

“Well what about food Rahl did you get your hands ‘dirty’ enough to keep some rations for Sovereign knows how long we will be in this Mountainous Hell?”

“Uuuuuh, I thought you had enough so that you could make me some.”
Looking over at the Dead Creature sprawled over the rocks, Heltar smiles
“There is your dinner, good luck.”

More creatures of the same descript were fought over and over again , while the adventurers made their way farther and farther into the mountains . They were lost for three days and out of food until Thokiuis hunted several deer in order to survive. Zoodious was severely wounded and the party set up camp in order to rest and tend to their wounds.

When the party started to get into the journey once more Thikiuious, asked Rahl, “Were the place these Swords were last seen again Rahl.”

“Well, we aren’t that far now, we just need to keep our bodies in one piece! According to my Father’s Journal, ….”

“Are you sure this Journal wasn’t Fiction , is it even real?”
*Lots of Laughing Ensues*
“YES ! YES ! I AM CERTAIN “Rahl in a reserved fury spate at his comrades .
Just then, amidst the rocks and snow of the high mountain passes a Bridge Large and Thick, made of Ice over many years was seen and the party had to cross it in order to get to their designated destination. The Bridge serve to be quite a challenge , The Rope was given to Heltar with the most grace and balance . Heltar did not fail when he got to the other side and used his weight as an anchor so he others could crawl on the bridge with the rope in hand . Thikiuious Went next and he managed not to kill himself , but he tied the rope around his waist to ensure that he lived , and that left Zoodious and Rahl on the other side with no rope , and death was facing them down .
“HOW MUCH DOES THE ROPE WIEGHT ?” Rahl yelped across the Gorge .

“WHY?”Heltar yelled back .

“BECAUSE I CAN LIFT 5 LBS WORTH OF MATIERIAL WITH MY POWERS SO I CAN HAVE THE ROPE?”

Heltar Laughing “Well it weights 5 lbs!”
Using Telekinesis , Rahl gets the rope in hand and ties it around his waist . Giving the other half of the Rope to Zoodious he says “Don’t let me die”
Rahl unfortunately slips ,but thanks to his dexterous hands is able to keep hold of the cold sides of the ice bridge leaving Zoodious with the other half of the rope . Rahl eventually manages to cross the Bridge where the rest of the party is setting up camp for the night , where Rahl tosses half of the rope to Zoodious which is expected to reach his allies without delay .

During the Night , Kobolds Attack the camp , Leaving Rahl and Zoodious in critical condition for the time being . The Kobolds were relentless in their viciousness , with teeth knurling and knives in hand , they made quick work of our sleepy adventurers who weren’t expecting a fight during the night . Zoodious in his state of Injury Curses the Sovereign and all that is holy ! With all his strength and skill with the sword and bow , he is maimed by Pests with little more than butter knives !

Rahl and Heltar using their knowledge of herbs and medicine (NOT ALCHEMY!) , manage to stitch up Zoodious splendidly so that he can perform to his best .

The Next night , the party comes to the Area where the four swords were last seen , however the party finds nothing to distinguish that anything was there .

“So Your Father’s Journal really was just some fiction …..”The Party Scoffs .
“NO , NO , IT CAN’T BE !” the young noble whimpers .

After several hours of sifting through the snow and ice , the party finds an odd door , sitting within the side of the mountain . Heltar quickly try to unlock the door , but is unable to . With combined effort the four adventurers build a fire and let nature destroy nature –fire beats woods- . No longer having to unlock the doors , the party looks down into the depths of darkness as a single staircase brings them down into the darkness .

With torches lit , Countless rats and mutated monstrosities are faced , they are unafraid of the fire , however stupid they may appear , they have bows and are able to use them ….effectively . The equipment, bows, arrows and bodies would come in handy later, for when our adventurers need to hawk it, but at the time we just wanted to survive . Eventually we cleared the small cave , and found four dead bodies buried , partially eaten , with The Swords Insignia intact upon the Armor . Zoodious who has trained as a blacksmith’s apprentice during his past , takes out a hammer , pounds off the symbols on the armor . Using whatever tools he has within his pack Zoodious Finds himself taking our parties armor and re-attaching The Swords Symbols on our lesser armor. This is done in an effort so that we can have shiny armor and not pay for it, although we still have the stolen goods to worry about. This is where Heltar shined, He takes the locks from the door we burnt down, places all the stolen goods we have in our possession in a barrel, and locks it good and tight. Later that day, we build a Huge Bonfire with the Bodies of our slain enemies to Signal the Cavalry Squadron.

A few days later, without incident, the Cavalry Squadron comes to us, and asks us what the troubles that we are facing are. We present them with the dead Swords, and ask for safe passage back to the Town of DaraRun. The Swords present us with their thanks and a free ride back down the mountain-side, back to town. We ask how does one become admitted into the Swords, and the Reply is given.

“The Lord of Admittance seeks audiences with Duke Ancev often and is usually busy, our ranks were filled until this happened, so it would take Strong men with a good sword-arm and a reputation to join our ranks. “
Our Adventurers set out once again for the plotting hook , where we will rest from our long journey, and look once more for an opportunity to prove ourselves to The Swords of the Sovereign .