PDA

View Full Version : Prehistoric Survival (IC)

Talking Donkey
2009-10-05, 01:56 PM
Humanity is new and mankind is far from the top of the food chain. Many large creatures roam the world looking for a meal (you). Small Nomadic tribes make up the bulk of civilization, if you call it that. Your tribe had decided (foolishly) to turn north into the ice country and live there. A handful of your tribe, seeing the folly of this plan, set out on their own and move south into the warmer plains. You are among the members of this smaller tribe, and must try and survive in a new, dangerous land.

Your new tribe numbers in the mind twenties. Aside from the young, and the hunters (that's you guys) no one has eaten the past few days. There is enough water to last two more days. Your tribe, your family is awaiting your return, hoping against hope, that you will return, preferably with food.

That matters not now. Ahead of your hunting party, not more than 250 feet away is small herd of animals you have never before seen.

Listed below is the basic information that each of you have. Roll the up to two of the following checks (of your choice) along with a spot check to determine what further information you are able to gather about the animal, your surroundings etc.

Basic Information:

Hunting Party is on a small bluff, overlooking the plain the animals are grazing in. You are all prone, with your weapons. You have a cover bonus to hide. If you move you will need to make the appropriate rolls.

The animals are:
Quadruped
Dark Colored
Horned
Larger than a person
Number between 10-50
Herbivores

Optional Skill Checks: Roll 2 of your choice.

Knowledge: Nature
Knowledge: Geography
Survival
Listen
Sense Motive

+ Spot

4is111
2009-10-05, 02:08 PM
"Goats, yum yum. Lets do this. I propose that a small group of two or three laps around the herd, then scares it into an ambush waiting here. We then pick a straggler, and take it out. Food for a week. If it doesn't work once, we try again. Thoughts?"

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]
survival: [roll2]
edit- forgot to add my modifier to survival; it should be 18.

WrathOfLife
2009-10-05, 06:57 PM
Hark Longwalker

Turning his head slowly to face Sagittarius. Hark's facial expression is one of close disbelief as he regards the young man. Turning back to face the creatures Hark mutters softly

"Goats tend to be smaller than men."

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
If creature is an animal add + 2 to spot and survival

4is111
2009-10-05, 07:01 PM
Sagittarius
"Fine. What do you think they are? As far as I'm concerned, this just means we get more goat."

Talking Donkey
2009-10-05, 08:25 PM
The "goats" as they have been referred to move lazily grazing on the dry plains grass. The still do not seem to notice you. The wind is slowly beginning to pick up.

4is111
2009-10-06, 02:42 PM
Sagittarius
"Any thoughts on my plan?"

WrathOfLife
2009-10-06, 08:21 PM
Hark Longwalker

Shrugging slightly, Hark mutters in reply "It is a good plan. I will go with the group scaring the animals forward. We should try to take down a young one, there hides are less thick."

Hark waits for a few others in the party to agree to move with him before setting out.

OOC: Where are the others?

4is111
2009-10-06, 08:27 PM
Sagittarius
"I'll come as well, my arrows are sure. Any ideas about how we can use the terrain to our advantage."
OOC: It would be nice if some other players posted acknowledgement. What is the terrain like?

Tackyhillbillu
2009-10-06, 08:46 PM
Torg shook his head.

"Not needed. Better I and Sagittarius do it. You attempt to kill the one we seperate."

Survival: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

OOC: Edited. Sorry.

4is111
2009-10-06, 08:50 PM
Sagittarious
"Who?"
OOC: My character's name was origenally going to be Orion after my character in the Kuma's game, but during development, I decided that Sagittarious fit better, and I'm not sure how to change the sheet title.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-06, 09:53 PM
Looking around, you notice that while you have a height advantage, their is little in the way of terrain. It is perfectly flat aside from the small bluff you are on. The grass is about two feet high and will be able to provide some cover assuming you are stealthy enough.

WrathOfLife
2009-10-08, 04:59 AM
Hark Longwalker

Giving Torg a nod, Hark readies himself at the edge of the high rise. Ready to avoid being trampled and ready to spear the animal singled out by the other hunters. If all went well, the tribe would eat well tonight.

4is111
2009-10-08, 01:42 PM
Sagittarius
"Lets do this. Tread softly, and if its between making the kill and staying alive, let it go. We need every man we can get."
Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]

Talking Donkey
2009-10-08, 09:02 PM
One hunter stays in place while the otherss move around into position. The Beasts pay them little attention as they continue grazing. The hunters get in position with no trouble. All that is left to do now is to proceed.

4is111
2009-10-08, 09:12 PM
Sagittarius
Sagittarius surveys the herd for an easy target.
"Be ready to do your crazy thing."
Sagittarius lets loose a pair of arrow into his target.
initiative:[roll0]
spot:[roll1]
attack:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]\
attack:[roll4]
damage:[roll5]

Talking Donkey
2009-10-10, 11:51 PM
The arrows fly and immediately the beasts spook. It takes a moment, but it is apparent that the young animal was struck and is running much slower than the pack. The beast stamped towards Hark exactly as planned. They are running near him, but he is not in any danger at the moment. The young beast that was struck steadily falls to the rear.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-10-10, 11:57 PM
Torg moves quickly, and takes up a place a little bit behind the pack, but out of the way of the little one, and gives a great bellow, hoping to convince the pack to keep running that way, and force the little one backwards.

WrathOfLife
2009-10-11, 02:55 AM
Hark Longwalker

Waiting for the herd to trample past, Hark leaps out as the little injured one stumbles towards him, giving a great roar to try to confuse the creature. Hark takes a step and then with all his might hurls a spear towards the beast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add Point blank shot, so + 1 to hit and damage.

4is111
2009-10-11, 09:56 AM
Sagittarius
Sagittarius continues to shoot arrows at his mark.attack:[roll0]
damage:[roll1]
attack:[roll2]
damage:[roll3]

Talking Donkey
2009-10-11, 04:34 PM
Chaos ensues as the herd stampedes, but the hunters keep their cool and are able to stick to their game plan. Arrows are fired but miss their mark.

However Hark, standing his ground, makes a perfect throw with his spear. There is a solid thump followed by a thud that is barely heard of the stampeding hooves of the other Beast. The young creatures is down, not moving.

Before the hunters have a chance to approach, a large creature turns out of the herd and begins running back to defend what appears to be its young. The beast is large, easily weighing 800 pounds.

4is111
2009-10-11, 06:48 PM
Sagittarius
"Fall back! We brought it down, there's no need to risk further injury. Let the cub bleed to death, and we'll take it once the mother has left it."
Withdrawal action, and duck below the grass.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-10-12, 12:05 AM
Torg agrees with Sagittarius. No need to fight the big one. The man sees nothing wrong with fleeing an unnecessary fight. Anything else would just be a waste of energy, and a risk of life.

Full Withdrawl Actiom.

WrathOfLife
2009-10-12, 01:55 AM
Hark Longwalker

Needing no further promoting Hark bolts from the fields not bothering with any sort of finesse, he simply turns and runs as fast as he can. Once in cover again, Hark stays to watch. If the young one gets up again, he'll have to do something about it... the tribe simply could not go hungry again, and Hark simply couldn't face his mother empty handed again...

Talking Donkey
2009-10-13, 12:02 PM
The rest of the heard moved on several hundred yards away from the group before coming to a stop. They began lazily grazing again. The mother stayed there with her dead young, nudging it, urging it to get up. After you wait about 30 minutes it seems the mother is getting ready to leave, understanding that her young is not going to be getting up.

With out warning the larger beast begins running towards you. Before she covers half the distance between the young and the group, she is tackled from behind by a large predator. It is easily as large as she is with large teeth and claws. It has feline features. The large cats mouth bites into the neck of the other creature dragging it down. In a matter of seconds the large creature is dead and you see three very small cats approach and begin eating. The large cat eyes your party but makes not attempt approach you. The large creature is about 100 yards from the small one that you killed.

4is111
2009-10-13, 04:09 PM
Sagittarius
"Oh no you don't you stupied tiger, that's my goat! You can't have it!" Wait, let the tiger have the goat. Soon it will leave, and you can get another one.
No! I want that goat, and I won't let him take it from me. I can take it, just watch, I can get off six or eight arrows before it reaches me. If that bothers it, I can kill it, but if it doesn't, what's the harm?
What if I can't kill it?
Ofcourse I can kill it.
"Wait, why are the goats just standing there?"

Talking Donkey
2009-10-13, 04:57 PM
It's obvious the herd is not to concerned with the cat, seeing that it already has a kill. They are slowly moving away from you, grazing all the way. The large cat continues to watch you, occasionally taking a bite of the large "goat".

4is111
2009-10-13, 04:59 PM
How far apart are the two goats?

WrathOfLife
2009-10-13, 05:46 PM
Hark Longwalker

Moving carefully, Hark walks back towards the downed infant moving in a large circle around the large cat, so that Hark can keep it in view, and so as to not startle it or make it think that Hark was a threat.

Throughout his movement, Hark keeps his spear pointed at the cat, on reaching the infant, he waves the others across, after all, he wouldn't be able to drag there catch out alone.

Ready action to attack and run should the cat attempt to move toward Hark.

4is111
2009-10-13, 05:54 PM
Sagittarius moves around to be ready to help carry the goat, arrow pointed on the tiger. Can I recover any of my arrows?

Talking Donkey
2009-10-13, 09:19 PM
OOC: Yes, arrows can be recovered.

The cat eyes the party, and continuously moves to keep herself between you and her cubs. She makes not attempt to move towards you. You can easily get to the calf, and if you so chose to, make your way back to camp. If you want to stay here for any other reasons let me know.

4is111
2009-10-13, 09:41 PM
No, let's get my arrows and the calf, and get out of here.

WrathOfLife
2009-10-14, 03:31 AM
Hark Longwalker

Grabbing his embedded spear and yanking it out of the calf, Hark checks it briefly to see if its worth keeping, before grabbing hold of the calf and dragging it back to the tribe determined to get the food back to camp.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-14, 12:09 PM
The arrows and spear are in surprisingly good shape. The calf is easily carried back to camp where everyone is jubilant at your return with food and stories. Even Hark's mother gave a small smile before quickly berating the younger women for not working fast enough to prepare dinner. The men and younger children gather around the campfire waiting to hear of your heroic stories of the hunt.

4is111
2009-10-14, 06:28 PM
Sagittarius
After helping prepare the feast, and finishing his chores, Sagittarius slips away to try to track down the horse he's been trying to tame.survival:[roll0]
handle animal:[roll1]

WrathOfLife
2009-10-14, 09:18 PM
Hark Longwalker

Huddling around the camp fire, Hark doesn't say much, wrapped up in his concerns for the tribe.

If one of those big cats attacked the tribe, we wouldn't stand much chance. We are surely entering dangerous lands.... I hope Torg informs the others of the dangers of wondering of.

Turning at a movement in the corner of his eye, Hark watches Sagittarius slip away.

Some one should really warn Sagittarius.

Hark however remains where he is, content to be warm by the fire, and ignored by his mother.

Talking Donkey
2009-10-14, 09:41 PM
Slipping into the night, Sagittarius is able to find the small herd of horses he has been tracking. They are on the other side of the river and moving away from you. You get the feeling that you will not be able to catch them tonight.

OOC: Oh, and 4is111, roll me a spot check.:smallbiggrin:

WrathOfLife
2009-10-16, 05:00 PM
Hark Longwalker

Laying around the fire, Hark wonders whats keeping Sagittarius....

OOC: Hello? Anyone there?

4is111
2009-10-16, 05:19 PM
spot:[roll0]

Talking Donkey
2009-10-16, 05:59 PM
Sagittarius notices a slight glinting in the moonlight. Focusing in you notice a couple of pairs of eyes. The reflect like that of a cat. The are slowly approaching. The are about 200 feet away. You are about 500 feet from the camp as you can here voices, barely, as well as see the glint of a fire. No way you can out run them. There are a few trees around you no more than 20-30 feet away.

4is111
2009-10-16, 06:31 PM
Sagitarius
Crap! Okay, remain calm. Don't lose sight of them, but don't let them know you've spotted them. Your best bet is to back away towards the camp slowly like there's nothing wrong. They're probably after the horses anyway. What! There must be more, tigers hunt in packs. Relax! I'm going to make it out of here alive, don't worry. Now knock an arrow, that's it, be ready incase the worse happens... Crap! I'm a dead man! No, not yet I'm not, I'm going to get out of this just fine. I should signal the others somehow. I could shoot an arrow at the camp! They'll see it, hopefully, and maybe get here before the tigers eat me. Take it one step at a time, and you'll get through this.
Walking away from the cats towards the camp nochalantly.
Fire an arrow at the camp to get their attention.handle animal:
attack:[roll]20-1

Talking Donkey
2009-10-16, 11:39 PM
OOC: Your roll messed up so I have no idea what you rolled. I just say no one saw it but at the same time, at least no one got hit. :smallbiggrin:

The large felines look intrigued by the movements Sagittarius is making. What ever he is doing is working. After a few moments of watching him back away, the eyes are no longer visible. You can barely make out the outline of three cats walking perpendicular from you towards the river.

4is111
2009-10-17, 07:28 PM
Sagittarius
Once he reaches the village safely, Sagittarius retires to his cot early to coop with his near death expiriance.