PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Kptin Gibby NPC and PC versions. Need critique and advice.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 02:21 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KaptinGibby.jpg
Kptin Gibby

-Kptin Gibby is an anomaly in the Goblin race. He posses surprisingly impressive military skills, unusual courage, and an ounce of intelligence for a member of a race made up of mostly spineless stupid cowards.

-This is evident in his long history of naval vistories across Origin.

-Kptin Gibby is said to be on good terms with Captain Big Tusks. He is certainly one of the most frequent "reguzlarz" on Big Tusks' secretive island, and is well known for being extremely generious with his "tribute".

-Rumor even has it that Captain Big Tusks has even granted the crafty little goblin permission to bury his well-gotten loot on his island, for he knows he would become much wealthier with Gibby's regular tributes rather than "peeking" and taking his stash.

-Needless to say a GOBLIN of these capabilities is unheard of to say the least, so while many know of Kptin Gibby's existence, many still consider this Goblin a mere sea tale.

-Kptin Gibby's personal sailing vessal is an antique Human galley he led his Goblin clan to salvage in his youth shortly after taking command of his tribe (the Goblin way). Today his galley, named "Killy Killy Ship" in Goblin, transports and is manned by his small- but vicious and experienced- army of Goblins along with a handful of Hobgobblins and Orcs willing to swallow their pride to serve under this unusually deadly Goblin.

-Kptin Gibby has even managed to successfully pull off raids on Elven ships. This is something few Elves are willing to believe, and those who are forced to are usually filled with disbelief and disgust.

So I finally got down to typing up this NPC's fluff last night, and stayed up until 7am doing his stats. (Got I love it when I get one of those "inspired" moments)

Anyways, halfway through stating him up as a major NPC in my homebrewed world (level 9 is BIG there) I got to liking him to the point where I decided to make him a PC. But then I wanted to still keep him as a major NPC, and suddenly I realized I could just copy-and-paste his sheet and reedit it to fit PC standards (aka wealth by level).

So now I have two issues I would like the advice of the experienced DMs and players here on:

1. My world is low-magic, so I am trying to balance things out/make encounters/challenges for mid-higher levels without the use of magic items and such. Hence why I bought the Trojan War d20 book I was suggested earlier to be able to do military style combats as PCs reach the levels/roles of leaders and heroes. I have even been making a binder full of the different units from the various civilization in my world using said rules.

Anyway, right now I am wondering if his NPC version would even be usable at all. I mean he is not much on his own, and I am imagining that with his cohort + 208 crew I can not realistically make an encounter against him (or can I?).

And since it is low-magic, I found I could invest the money in pumping his ship. I actually liked that, and hence stayed to it on the PC version (which HOPEFULLY someone will someday let me use), but I am not sure if that really works out well, or if it makes him any kind of challenge (for his level or otherwise).

2. Would the PC version be usable in any form of campaign?

If so, in what way and/or kind?

I have sadly never had a roleplaying and/or sandbox styled game to play im, which is why I work so ahrd on mine for other people to enjoy. I imagine anything short of that this PC really would not fit in well. Especially in your typical hack-and-slash module liek game. :smallfrown:

3. Anyway you folks would improve on the NPC version to make it more challenging (and hopefully fun) for the PCs?

4. Any suggestions for the PC version? I am not very experienced with melee classes, and this is my first time making a ship based character.

Kptin Gibby (NPC Version)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyNPCVersion_Page_1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyNPCVersion_Page_2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyNPCVersion_Page_3.jpg

Kptin Gibby (PC Version)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyPCversion_Page_1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyPCversion_Page_2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/KptinGibbyPCversion_Page_3.jpg

Glimbur
2009-10-05, 03:06 PM
For the PC build at least, anytime I see Rogue/Swashbuckler I think Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel. It's a feat that lets you stack Rogue and Swashbuckler for Sneak Attack and Grace progressions.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:33 PM
For the PC build at least, anytime I see Rogue/Swashbuckler I think Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel. It's a feat that lets you stack Rogue and Swashbuckler for Sneak Attack and Grace progressions.

I had completely forgotten those feats existed. Many thanks.

I am thinking perhaps switching out Scourge of the Seas for it. I am not sure which would be better or more powerful, though.

Cieyrin
2009-10-05, 08:15 PM
Well, there's 3 things I've noted in both versions of your character: 1) You're short a feat for 9th level, which would fit in Daring Outlaw in quite nicely, 2) As you have a Leadership feat (Extra Followers), your Leadership score is +1, so you have more followers (10 1st level, 2 2nd, 2 3rd and 2 5th, to be exact) with your new Leadership score of 19 and 3) Ogre is ECL 6, so he could have a class level to get him up to the maximum level of cohort your character can have currently. I'd recommend a Barbarian level to make him a real terror.

Happy advancing your character to more effectiveness.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:36 PM
Well, there's 3 things I've noted in both versions of your character: 1) You're short a feat for 9th level, which would fit in Daring Outlaw in quite nicely,

Wow. That was dumb of me. :smallredface:

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I was counting 1st, 6th, and 9th level.

2) As you have a Leadership feat (Extra Followers), your Leadership score is +1, so you have more followers (10 1st level, 2 2nd, 2 3rd and 2 5th, to be exact) with your new Leadership score of 19 and

I was never aware of that. I could have used that in past characters. :smallannoyed:

However, now I am not sure I have the funds for the rations.

3) Ogre is ECL 6, so he could have a class level to get him up to the maximum level of cohort your character can have currently. I'd recommend a Barbarian level to make him a real terror.

I was going to get to stating him later.

However, now I know what class to give him. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Happy advancing your character to more effectiveness.

Thanks!

Cieyrin
2009-10-05, 09:01 PM
Wow. That was dumb of me. :smallredface:

Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I was counting 1st, 6th, and 9th level.

Eh, fatigue makes many of us miss things. :smalltongue:

I was never aware of that. I could have used that in past characters. :smallannoyed:

However, now I am not sure I have the funds for the rations.

Yeah, it's in a little call-out before the feat section at teh bottom of the page before. Easy to miss. As for rations, they shouldn't be that expensive for another, what, 20 people? that's 14x20x.5= 140 gp or so. That's not that much, is it?

Pika...
2009-10-05, 09:16 PM
Eh, fatigue makes many of us miss things. :smalltongue:

Yeah, it's in a little call-out before the feat section at teh bottom of the page before. Easy to miss. As for rations, they shouldn't be that expensive for another, what, 20 people? that's 14x20x.5= 140 gp or so. That's not that much, is it?

For the PC version where I am restricted to the Wealth by level table (I allowed a little extra for the NPC version, since all the "loot" would essentially sink with the ship if the PCs are not smart) yes.

I had 36k to work with, and the galley is 30k itself. Hence one of the reasons I am worried, since in a normal standard-magic game (unlike my homebrewed low-magic setting) I might be crippling myself for not having magic items.

I was down to a few gold I believe just with the current crew size, and had to cut two ballistas and firing bunkers.

And again, I am not sure if such a character can even be played in a D&D campaign. :smallfrown:

ps. Damn, I just noticed I need to buy them ranged weapons like crossbows or arrows...

Pika...
2009-10-06, 12:09 AM
OK, I just put in his Synergies that I stupidly forgot.

His Intimidate is currently at 14. I am guessing Scourge of the Seas will be useful to him?