PDA

View Full Version : Could you put a feat in a potion

lyko555
2009-10-05, 02:28 PM
As the title says could you make a potion that would give you the benifits of a feat for say 1d4rounds?? if so what would the cost be?

arguskos
2009-10-05, 02:30 PM
That's called a potion of Heroics. It's legit. The spell can be found in the Spell Compendium. It grants a single fighter feat to the target for 10 min/level. Cost depends on caster level. The spell is level 2.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 02:44 PM
Hmm.

Great idea OP. I really like it.

Personally I would use the above mentioned spell to compare fighter feats to normal feats price. It would be highly Dm subjective, though. And the DM should be VERY careful with it.

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 02:50 PM
Eh, you have to actually be able to qualify for it. For most wizards, Heroics is a means to nab +4 Init (from Improved Init) or a few extra HP (from Improved Toughness). Hardly liking giving your polymorphed wizard Shocktrooper unless the wizard is a gish, and then he'll probably be taking Shocktrooper anyway...

Starscream
2009-10-05, 02:51 PM
Yeah, a free fighter feat is not going to break the game, but other feats might.

Say you put any of the "Sudden Metamagic" feats in a bottle. Those let you apply a metamagic feat 3 times a day with no increase in spell level. As a DM I wouldn't let a caster carry around bottles of free Quickens. Way too abusable.

Johel
2009-10-05, 02:52 PM
Yeah, a free fighter feat is not going to break the game, but other feats might.

Say you put any of the "Sudden Metamagic" feats in a bottle. Those let you apply a metamagic feat 3 times a day with no increase in spell level. As a DM I wouldn't let a caster carry around bottles of free Quickens. Way too abusable.

It's called a rod of metamagic.
And it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

tyckspoon
2009-10-05, 02:57 PM
Those let you apply a metamagic feat 3 times once a day with no increase in spell level. As a DM I wouldn't let a caster carry around bottles of free Quickens. Way too abusable.

The Sudden metamagics really aren't that good. Especially as a potion with a very short term window to use it; a cost of a standard action + gold to get a single free shot of Quicken isn't that bad. It effectively trades your spell for this round in order to cast two spells next round, which is a decently fair trade. It's a negative trade for almost any of the other metamagics, as it screws your action economy (except maybe Twin. Just about everything else, you should get much more effect from casting two spells than using two rounds to cast an Extended/Maximized/Whatever spell.)

SSGoW
2009-10-05, 03:02 PM
what you could do is make items that are dungeon specific (meaning that they only work IN the dungeon) that gives the weilder 1 feat that they want but must be able to take it normally... make them hidden items in each dungeon that they have to find (you could even split them up so they have to find each one) this gives your players a good reason to activily search out stuff besides the boss ... if you wanted to you could even make it where they take the feat BUT take a penalty to something (that they dont know) maybe against everything or maybe just against a boss?

jiriku
2009-10-05, 03:04 PM

Like Starscream says, balance concerns should be addressed whenever you create a new magic item. To offer a counter-position, however, sudden metamagic feats offer you one use per day, not three, and a potion that lets you quicken one spell sounds like a handy tool to me. Of course, you should apply restrictions to these potions such as: can't gain the same feat more than once per day, 1/round level duration before the potion expires, and magic is expended when the spell is cast, not when it is prepared. You want to avoid a situation where a high-level caster drops a trivial amount of WBL for a stack of potions, drinks them all out of combat, and then quickens all his best high-level spells for minimal gold cost and no in-combat action cost.

Also, technically a potion that doesn't directly duplicate a spell is a wondrous item, not a potion, and would be made with the craft wondrous item feat. You might want to make it something thematically different for that reason, like paste, eyedrops, holy wafers, or something similar.

I could see a lot of uses for this. Imagine a one-shot item of craft staff or craft wand, allowing you to make a magic item without the proper feat, the way the libram of constructs does. Or how about the ability to pick up unusual feats on a one-shot basis, like blind-fight, favored power attack, or undead slayer? These items could be useful to all classes.

lyko555
2009-10-05, 03:08 PM
Sweat I love you guys. Im trying to make a Dr. Jekyl /Mr hyde character.
Lets me make a squishy mage type weekling quaff a potion and become mr awsome for 1d4 rounds then maybe toss in stunned for 1d6 afterwards

Mystic Muse
2009-10-05, 04:04 PM
yes. you just need a blender. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2009-10-05, 06:32 PM

Hah. Never had Iron Heart Surge cancel the sun, eh? Both that one and White Raven Tactics are low enough level that a couple Potions of Martial Study could blow some seriously big holes in a few things. Even if you consider the Sage's ruling on WRT to be official (he apparently never read the glossary entry on "Ally"), giving everyone else in your party a Potion of White Raven Whatever + White Raven Tactics means every person in the party can give you a free turn. Heck, you can even pick up a few Gremma's Cauldrons (Expedition to Undermountain p. 217, 5000 GP) and get other party members to brew potions for you. Although a Wand of Heroics is more effective.

There's another spell in WotC's Spell Archive (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20030504x) that allows you to copy a feat that you've seen someone use, called Mirror Move. Similar to Heroics... the duration is shorter and it's limited mostly to fighter bonus feats, but it allows you to copy multiple feats (one per +1 Int bonus), so long as you observe someone using them and you meet all the prereqs.

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 06:41 PM
Sure, perhaps you could bottle up a fighter feat for a potion... But can you put time-stop in a bottle?

mikethepoor
2009-10-05, 06:46 PM
No, but you can put it in a pair of boots.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-05, 07:21 PM
As a matter of fact, you can make Potions of Time Stop. There's a FR class called Master Alchemist that can make spells higher than 3rd into potions. Full casting, too.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-05, 07:39 PM
As a matter of fact, you can make Potions of Time Stop. There's a FR class called Master Alchemist that can make spells higher than 3rd into potions. Full casting, too.

The ultimate merchant class.

Curmudgeon
2009-10-05, 07:45 PM
It's not exactly a potion, but a Domain Draught (Magic Item Compendium) will give you the granted power of a Clerical domain for 24 hours. A bunch of domains grant feats, such as Spell Focus (Enchantment) from the Domination domain and Augment Summoning from the Dragon Below domain.