PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Maximizing Dragonborn Breath Damage types

Gralamin
2009-10-05, 04:31 PM
In todays Ampersand, a Paragon Path called the Nine-Fold Master was unveiled. The parts that relate to this thread are:

Prerequisite: Dragonborn, any arcane class, Draconic Spellcaster.

[Note: The following is green, therefore an at-will. I added the At-will part in since it wasn't in the preview]
Countering Breath Ninefold Master Utility 12
As your foe unleashes a blast of elemental power, you release your own, subtly altering your draconic breath to negate your enemy’s attack.
[At-Will - ] Arcane
Immediate Interrupt; Close blast 3
Trigger: An enemy targets you with a close or area attack that deals a damage type you can deal with dragon breath
Effect: Your space and the blast are not considered part of the triggering attack’s area of effect.

So, this power, being an at-will, is Insanely useful. And the more damage types you can block the better.

Build Specifications:
Class: Sorcerer if possible (To synergize with some other stuff). Bard if we need multiple multiclasses.
Race: Revenant (Dragonborn), this allows us to get Necrotic and one other.

Multiclass Paladin: Get the Radiant Breath Feat. We now have Necrotic, Radiant, and one other.
Get the Adaptable Breath feat: We now have Necrotic, Radiant, and Two others.
And thats as far as I can get currently, blocking 3 common damage types, and 1 uncommon one. This leaves you being unable to block: Three of Poison, Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning; Thunder; Psychic; Force; Untyped. So thats 7/11 unblocked still. Anyone able to do better?

--
With a variant such as gestalt you can get one more by taking Scion Of Arkhosia.

Mando Knight
2009-10-05, 04:57 PM
You can take Adaptable breath as many times as you want, though it is a rather heavy feat investment for so little a benefit...

Gralamin
2009-10-05, 05:57 PM
You can take Adaptable breath as many times as you want, though it is a rather heavy feat investment for so little a benefit...

I must of missed that. Alright, thats Everything but Thunder, Psychic, Force, and Untyped that can be blocked. And yes, this isn't meant to be playable necessarily, just "I can stop almost everything"

FlyingWhale
2009-10-05, 06:12 PM
The Akunal background: You gain resist 2 cold, resist 2 fire, and resist 2 thunder (or your existing resistance to these damages types increases by 2).

That doesn't block it out BUT I mean... free resist for those! Other than what you posted I don't see any way to top... Good job:smallcool:

Guancyto
2009-10-05, 07:42 PM
Interesting. Would Expanded Breath work on that, or is that strictly the Dragon's Breath power?

It's a big feat investment, sure, but getting to say "no, and not my party either" to an area effect every round seems like it would be brutal against enemy Controllers, since many of their effects have an elemental component.

Gralamin
2009-10-05, 10:19 PM
Interesting. Would Expanded Breath work on that, or is that strictly the Dragon's Breath power?

It's a big feat investment, sure, but getting to say "no, and not my party either" to an area effect every round seems like it would be brutal against enemy Controllers, since many of their effects have an elemental component.

Thats strictly the Dragonbreath power. And While its an interesting build, it uses way too many feats to be too competent. It won't suck, but its main contribution would be stopping large amounts of powers from working on the party, which can be very boring to play. Might make an interesting Companion character though.