PDA

View Full Version : What is the coolest/most creative screen name you have spotted here?

Pika...
2009-10-05, 05:02 PM
I just noticed Thatguyoverther's screen name, and realized there is a lot of thought and creativity the goes into picking an "alter ego" name. Not to mention that the younger of us have had years to refine and think about them.

While I am finding it hard to pick a favorite here, since so many have either brought a smirk to my face or made me outright laugh, I want to hear your opinions.

ps. I find that the right avatar tends to help, but I am not sure if that counts.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 05:04 PM
Pretty much any but my own. :smalltongue:

No, really. 15-year-old DeeRee, what were you thinking? >.<

Pika...
2009-10-05, 05:05 PM
Pretty much any but my own. :smalltongue:

No, really. 15-year-old DeeRee, what were you thinking? >.<

That you liked the Dragon Riders of Pern series? :smallsmile:

Astrella
2009-10-05, 05:06 PM
Mine is just a shameless name insert, but I've been using it for so long that it has become part of my internet identity, so I'm not likely to change it.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 05:09 PM
That you liked the Dragon Riders of Pern series? :smallsmile:

Not at all.

(though yes, it's Dragonriders, all one word, in that series, like my name)

It was a character from a story I wrote when I was eleven-ish (Elithia Dragonrider), and I use the Elithia part a lot because it's less likely to be taken, but I typed Dragonrider in because I was curious to see if it would be and it wasn't. So I used it. Which was silly. :smalltongue:

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-10-05, 05:11 PM
I kinda like the look of the names Mordaki and NamonakiRei.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-05, 05:11 PM
My names all follow a pattern - I've had Chichikov, Sharikov, Myshlaevsky, Oleg, Kolgotov, Novokov and now Osipovna. Next I'll probably go with Isay or Zorya - or maybe I'll break pattern and actually think something up.

I'm not sure what the best name I've ever seen was - the only thing that currently comes to mind is a druid named 'bearforceone' back when I played WoW, but that's not so impressive. There are many I like, but I'm hesitant to draw a bead on the 'best'.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 05:12 PM
I've always like the screennames that sounded like names. Castaras' comes to mind. And of course Ego Slayer was a great....

Vizen
2009-10-05, 05:13 PM
It was a character from a story I wrote when I was eleven-ish (Elithia Dragonrider), and I use the Elithia part a lot because it's less likely to be taken, but I typed Dragonrider in because I was curious to see if it would be and it wasn't. So I used it. Which was silly. :smalltongue:

It's still a nice name though. :smallsmile:

Theres many I've seen on the forums that I like, I can't think of many off the top of my head though.

Tired n Drowsy
Vorpal Tribble
LurkerInThePlayground

And ya gotta love our resident Cookie Monster. You know who you are!

Raewyn
2009-10-05, 05:26 PM
Pair O'Dice Lost.

Creative and punny? How can a girl resist? *swoon*

Spiryt
2009-10-05, 05:30 PM
I really like Gorbash Kazdar, or Comrade Gorby from some reason, I don't even know where it's from (if it's from "somewhere") at all, but it's great.

RabbitHoleLost is nice too, as well as Amiria (thought the "Countess of Mispelling" was really classy), and Dragonprime, even though he doesn't like it :smalltongue:

And those that I don't remember right now.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-05, 05:34 PM
Pair O'Dice Lost.

I like Djinn In Tonic, for the same reason. >.>

Tengu_temp
2009-10-05, 05:34 PM
Gouf Custom. Because that name, as any Gundam fan will tell you, implies excellent taste.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-05, 05:41 PM
Luis Dantas is an awesome name. Anybody know what that's from? if anything?

Pyrian
2009-10-05, 05:46 PM
You could've gotten your name changed, here, DeeRee. They do that periodically.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 05:53 PM
You could've gotten your name changed, here, DeeRee. They do that periodically.

I know, but it's my IDENTITY now. That would be like changing my given name - I just couldn't. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 05:56 PM
I know, but it's my IDENTITY now. That would be like changing my given name - I just couldn't. :smalltongue:

I renamed myself on my 20th year.

Let's say I now understand why some cultures give/gave their child temporary names until they were old enough to choose one's for themselves. Feels so much better, like it is truly your name.

My family is/was/might be making a family tree album soon. They joked about people getting confused when my branch suddenly appears out of nowhere.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-05, 06:00 PM

Let's say I now understand why some cultures give/gave their child temporary names until they were old enough to choose one's for themselves. Feels so much better, like it is truly your name.

My family is/was/might be making a family tree album soon. They joked about people getting confused when my branch suddenly appears out of nowhere.

Heh. I tried to auction off my name for charity once, but was essentially forbidden due to administrative problems that would result.

I've always wanted to change it, though. Maybe I should follow your example.

Faulty
2009-10-05, 06:02 PM
JabberWockySupafly because his name is an Aesop Rock reference.

I really love PersonMan's screen name for some reason.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:03 PM
Heh. I tried to auction off my name for charity once, but was essentially forbidden due to administrative problems that would result.

I've always wanted to change it, though. Maybe I should follow your example.

Hey, at least in my state you can change it up to five times. So what do you have to lose? Either you're happy with your life decision, or you can just change it right back some day. :smallbiggrin:

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-05, 06:03 PM
I just noticed Thatguyoverther's screen name, and realized there is a lot of thought and creativity the goes into picking an "alter ego" name. Not to mention that the younger of us have had years to refine and think about them.

While I am finding it hard to pick a favorite here, since so many have either brought a smirk to my face or made me outright laugh, I want to hear your opinions.

ps. I find that the right avatar tends to help, but I am not sure if that counts.

I would have done Thatguyoverthere, but there wasn't enough room for the last e. :smallfrown: It was either that or Terracotta Pie.

On an ps. related note, does anybody remember the name of the bland ubiquitous looking gray avatar? I can't seem to find it anymore under the avatar options.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 06:05 PM

I can understand that decision, and it's cool that you made it, but I just don't think I ever could. I LIKE my first and middle names, anyway, even if I despise my last one. Fortunately, it is socially acceptable for females to change their last names upon marriage... :smallwink:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:07 PM
I would have done Thatguyoverthere, but there wasn't enough room for the last e. :smallfrown: It was either that or Terracotta Pie.

On an ps. related note, does anybody remember the name of the bland ubiquitous looking gray avatar? I can't seem to find it anymore under the avatar options.

I kinda figured as much. LoL.

I can understand that decision, and it's cool that you made it, but I just don't think I ever could. I LIKE my first and middle names, anyway, even if I despise my last one. Fortunately, it is socially acceptable for females to change their last names upon marriage... :smallwink:

Mine is now Drake (Old English for Dragon) if you would like to share it. :smallwink:

Blue Ghost
2009-10-05, 06:08 PM
I like just about everyone's username here, but I especially like the ones that sound like names, because with a title like "Blue Ghost" instead of a name, it's so much more awkward when someone calls you. But as with Dri, Blue Ghost is part of my identity now (I've been using that name since before I met the Internet), so who am I to change it?

Some names that I really like here are Amiria, Mordokai, and Recaiden. All those names have such nice rings to them. Another one I like is Je dit Viola. Not quite a name like the others, but it's French! (I just call her Viola when I talk to her.) There are probably others that I cannot remember at the moment.
I remember someone named "Stardot" (*.*.*.*) introducing herself in the "Welcome New Members" thread, but I haven't seen her since.

What, you mean the clone avatar? I thought we were finished with the clones! :smalleek:

averagejoe
2009-10-05, 06:09 PM
I have to admit to liking Jack Squat's name, just because it seems like he had the same basic idea as me.

Hey, at least in my state you can change it up to five times. So what do you have to lose? Either you're happy with your life decision, or you can just change it right back some day. :smallbiggrin:

Just curious, what state is that?

FoE
2009-10-05, 06:10 PM
Face of Evil. That guy is just awesome. :smalltongue:

Djinn in Tonic is pretty funny. And Hellfirelover's a terrific name for a lovely lady.

Also, Jax Garet, for the coolest character ever to appear in the Shannara series.

Thufir
2009-10-05, 06:12 PM
That 'Thufir' guy always seemed pretty cool to me :smalltongue:

Seriously, it's not a thought which tends to cross my mind. I just see them as names. Some I might think are a bit dumb, maybe, but none really attract my attention as being especially cool.

@Thatguyoverther: I think you're thinking of the avatar created for Clone Week, which would not be under the avatar options as it was made specifically for the week.

Froogleyboy
2009-10-05, 06:13 PM
I've always been a fan of AverageJoe's

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 06:14 PM
Mine is now Drake (Old English for Dragon) if you would like to share it. :smallwink:

My monosyllabic first name needs a polysyllabic last name to go with it. :smalltongue: Which it doesn't have - that might be part of the problem.

averagejoe: When I was relatively new to the playground, I actually got Jack Squat and you mixed up all the time. :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2009-10-05, 06:15 PM
I also like Em Blackleaf and Krimm Blackleaf, if only because it makes me think of "NO, NOT BLACKLEAF!"

Penguinsushi
2009-10-05, 06:17 PM
I'll second the votes for particularly clever pun names - Djinn and Tonic and Pair 'O Dice Lost (i'm sure there are others). Those are pretty awesome.

I'm rather fond of mine as well as several other real-life friends whom are often referred to by screennames instead of real names: hippie, zeb & alarra, llama (although that designation precedes the forum), etc - but I guess that's mostly just familiarity...

~PS

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-05, 06:17 PM
I've allways liked Rutskarn and Winterwind, myself.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:21 PM
I've allways liked Rutskarn and Winterwind, myself.

As a 40k player, big Harlequins fan (from before they were brought back and nerfed), and someone who seems to relate with Cegorach on a strangely odd but deep personal level, I have always payed special noticed to yours (and you by association).

Thufir
2009-10-05, 06:22 PM
@Thatguyoverther: I think you're thinking of the avatar created for Clone Week, which would not be under the avatar options as it was made specifically for the week.

This would be it:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Tobi-Sean/cloneAVT.png

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-05, 06:26 PM
This would be it:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Tobi-Sean/cloneAVT.png

Mwhahahaha! Awesome thanks. Success is me.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-05, 06:27 PM
RabbitHoleLost is nice too

D'awww :smallredface:

Though she's gone, I really liked Ms. Elaneous.
Those puns.
They get me everytime.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 06:28 PM

Does our base now belong to you?

cycoris
2009-10-05, 06:51 PM
I really like the ones that sound like they're names as well. It makes me feel more like I'm talking to a real person rather than just someone that might or might not be a 50 year-old guy from Iowa. :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2009-10-05, 06:56 PM

Aagh! Another clone! Do you know how hard we worked to repel the clone invasion? :smallmad:
PRISMATIC SPRAY!

Fostire
2009-10-05, 07:34 PM
I really prefer names that sound like they could be real names. Some of the usernames here are great, and really cool, but if you get in a friendly basis with someone it's so much better if their name doesn't sound horribly out of place in casual conversation.

For that reason I like my new username a lot, it sounds more like a real name and less like something I made up when I was 10 (which happens to be the origin of my previous username).

I've been thinking about changing my name lately since it's a spanish sounding name and I live in an english speaking community. It's annoying to have to spell out your name every time you meet someone new just so that they can barely pronounce it (fun fact: my parents where undecided between two names for me and they purposely decided to choose the one that the hospital staff would have a harder time pronouncing. Also, for similar reasons, my middle name has an é :smallannoyed:)

Of course changing my name would involve angry parents and awkwardness once (if) I return to my previous spanish speaking community

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-05, 07:42 PM
I like my name lots. I love Rabbits name too, and obviously Djinn and Pair o' Dice Lost are hilarious. Um... Man, I have such trouble thinking of names of forumites of the top of my head! Oh, Bisected, I like him. Or, at least, I think that's his name...:smallredface:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 07:50 PM
I really prefer names that sound like they could be real names. Some of the usernames here are great, and really cool, but if you get in a friendly basis with someone it's so much better if their name doesn't sound horribly out of place in casual conversation.

For that reason I like my new username a lot, it sounds more like a real name and less like something I made up when I was 10 (which happens to be the origin of my previous username).

I've been thinking about changing my name lately since it's a spanish sounding name and I live in an english speaking community. It's annoying to have to spell out your name every time you meet someone new just so that they can barely pronounce it (fun fact: my parents where undecided between two names for me and they purposely decided to choose the one that the hospital staff would have a harder time pronouncing. Also, for similar reasons, my middle name has an é :smallannoyed:)

Of course changing my name would involve angry parents and awkwardness once (if) I return to my previous spanish speaking community

You seem to be the in-between of those of us born (or raised from very young) in English speaking countries (I am guessing the USA as well?). Either we stay completely in our parents culture with little contact with the main/dominant one, we remain mostly in our parent's culture and have some contact with the main/dominant one, or we become assimilated completely into the main/dominant one.

I am a big believer in "To each his own", but to me it seems you are now leaning a bit more into the main/dominant culture side?

Anyway, just do what makes you happy dude. Your parents might get mad. Heck, my mother is a devote Christian and when she heard I was changing my name (I was called Jesus...) she was not too happy. No matter how many times I explained the problems it caused me on a daily to weekly bases (people refusing to call me by my name, uptight religious people getting on my case, uptight anti-religious people getting on my case, etc) she did not listen. Then one day I was at the doctor's with her. I introduced myself to a Caucasian older woman, and she said "No. I will not call you that!". Then I looked at my mother straight in the eyes with a smirk, and she said something on the lines of "OK. I got it.".

If your parents love you they will eventually understand/accept your decision.

If they are open minded they will eventually see your reasoning.

If neither of the above is the case, well at least you will be happy. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-10-05, 08:00 PM
Eh, I always enjoyed Eldarial, for sounding like a character I'd play. Djinn in Tonic, cause he's a cool dude. afroakuma, cause it's fun to say. Pair O' Dice Lost, because it's punny and a good name. I could probably keep listing names I like, but the list would get fairly long.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-05, 08:01 PM
I really like the ones that sound like they're names as well. It makes me feel more like I'm talking to a real person rather than just someone that might or might not be a 50 year-old guy from Iowa. :smallbiggrin:

Curses! How did you know? =O

*runs and hides*

Deastorm
2009-10-05, 08:06 PM
I have to +1 for Djinn and Pair, I love the clever names.

Mine was the first EQ character I ever had. I used it for those type forums, and it's always stuck. It was a deviation of an old D&D character.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-05, 08:12 PM
Does our base now belong to you?

You know while I'm at it...

Aagh! Another clone! Do you know how hard we worked to repel the clone invasion? :smallmad:
PRISMATIC SPRAY!

Oh God! My eyes!

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 08:14 PM
I was really happy when CurlyKitGirl invented DeeRee, because it saved me the annoyance of being called various dragon names all the time. :smalltongue: It sounds more like a real name - not one I'd name my child, but one I like being called on the internet.

Edit: Despite my preference for NAME names, I've always been fond of Rawhide.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:17 PM
I was really happy when CurlyKitGirl invented DeeRee, because it saved me the annoyance of being called various dragon names all the time. :smalltongue: It sounds more like a real name - not one I'd name my child, but one I like being called on the internet.

Edit: Despite my preference for NAME names, I've always been fond of Rawhide.

So you prefer being called DeeRee, but you feel your identity should be Dragonrider which you do not like?

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 08:19 PM
So you prefer being called DeeRee, but you feel your identity should be Dragonrider which you do not like?

It's not that I dislike it...I just kind of regret establishing myself by that name. Having gone by it for nearly three years, however, I can't see myself changing it. 'S not that big a deal to me.

Fostire
2009-10-05, 08:19 PM
You seem to be the in-between of those of us born (or raised from very young) in English speaking countries (I am guessing the USA as well?). Either we stay completely in our parents culture with little contact with the main/dominant one, we remain mostly in our parent's culture and have some contact with the main/dominant one, or we become assimilated completely into the main/dominant one.

I am a big believer in "To each his own", but to me it seems you are now leaning a bit more into the main/dominant culture side?

Anyway, just do what makes you happy dude. Your parents might get mad. Heck, my mother is a devote Christian and when she heard I was changing my name (I was called Jesus...) she was not too happy. No matter how many times I explained the problems it caused me on a daily to weekly bases (people refusing to call me by my name, uptight religious people getting on my case, uptight anti-religious people getting on my case, etc) she did not listen. Then one day I was at the doctor's with her. I introduced myself to a Caucasian older woman, and she said "No. I will not call you that!". Then I looked at my mother straight in the eyes with a smirk, and she said something on the lines of "OK. I got it.".

If your parents love you they will eventually understand/accept your decision.

If they are open minded they will eventually see your reasoning.

If neither of the above is the case, well at least you will be happy. :smallsmile:

I was born in Winnipeg (Canada) in which I only lived for two years. I then moved to Uruguay (spanish speaking) in which I spent my whole life up to last month when I moved back to Winnipeg to go to university.

Since I've only been here for a month I'm going to wait to see if it's a problem big enough to warrant the change. I could solve the problem by just using a nickname to introduce myself, but I don't think I would be comfortable not telling people my real name if I want to establish a friendship with them.

My parents are awesome, so if it's a problem they would understand, they won't like it, but they won't bother me about it (my brothers on the other hand, would probably turn it into an unending mockery :smallannoyed:).

There is also the "I'm probably returning to Uruguay after I finish my degree" thing which would mean that I would have the same problem again. But of course there is a small 'if' there, since I like it here, and I'm going to be living here for at least the next 4 years. This is long enough to meet a girl I might want to stay with, which could be a problem if we're 10000 km apart.

Em Blackleaf
2009-10-05, 08:31 PM
I also like Em Blackleaf and Krimm Blackleaf, if only because it makes me think of "NO, NOT BLACKLEAF!"
Haha. Well, mine isn't all that creative. Krimm just told me to use "Blackleaf" in my name because we're brother and sister and I said, "Okay, Em Blackleaf it is." Since Emily/Em is my name IRL. :smalltongue:
But, thanks all the same. :smallsmile:

Off the top of my head, Vorpal Tribble has always been one of my favorite names on the board.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-05, 08:54 PM
I also like the punny ones.
I've considered changing my username before, but I'm sure I'd regret it.

randman22222
2009-10-05, 08:56 PM

I'm considering changing mine to Losgelöst.

I wouldn't regret changing mine, as mine is almost a random collection of letters and numbers.
Okay, but I'd get tired of Losgelöst real quickly.
And what would become of the Randy persona? :smalleek:

EDIT: Oh, and while no usernames jump out at me, Jacklu's avatar is made of win.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 08:57 PM

You definitely shouldn't. Yours is great.

gnomas
2009-10-05, 09:31 PM
I think "pair of dice lost" is definitely my favourite!

Stormthorn
2009-10-05, 09:57 PM
Pair O'Dice Lost.

Can i swoon too if im a guy?

Its threads like these that make me wish i had used my other forum name: Muphin Mann

Jack Squat
2009-10-05, 10:12 PM
I have to admit to liking Jack Squat's name, just because it seems like he had the same basic idea as me.

Your's always stuck out among the rest as well. And I do admit, your avatar's much cooler.

loopy
2009-10-05, 10:16 PM

Cobra and I agree on this. I also like Cheesegear for some reason. :smallsmile:

Penguinsushi
2009-10-06, 09:15 AM

I second DeeRee's assertion that you should definitely keep yours - it's a clever and funny reference. :smallsmile:

@ DeeRee: My wife's a huge McCaffrey fan and she's commented to me before about your name being really cool (even if that's not where you got it). She'd probably have said so too, but she's not on these board very much...

~PS

Dragonrider
2009-10-06, 09:20 AM
@ DeeRee: My wife's a huge McCaffrey fan and she's commented to me before about your name being really cool (even if that's not where you got it). She'd probably have said so too, but she's not on these board very much...

Really? :smallbiggrin: Cool!

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 09:24 AM
While my username has flows fairly well, I think, it's not really all that creative. I might change it to Over the Clouds/something else when I have the opportunity too. In like, 4 months I think?
Thoughts?

List of Muddie Approved Usernames:
TwoBitWriter
Face of Evil
Djinn in Tonic
Mauve Shirt
Coidzor
Dr. Bath
& More

BooNL
2009-10-06, 09:36 AM
I must say the best names I've seen around here are Pair O'DiceLost and Djinn 'n Tonic, they are awesome!

As for my own name, I've had it for many a moon. It started as Boo, named after the famous miniature giant space hamster. I added the NL after the name Boo was already taken at a forum. I've tried to change it every now and then, but I always gratitate back to it.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-06, 09:46 AM

Aww...*snuggles Mauvey*...but your name is so awesome!

I want to change mine. And by "change", I mean "replace the underscore with a space". >.<

Fostire
2009-10-06, 09:50 AM
Aww...*snuggles Mauvey*...but your name is so awesome!

I want to change mine. And by "change", I mean "replace the underscore with a space". >.<

What's stopping you? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108349)

cycoris
2009-10-06, 09:53 AM

Don't do it, don't!

And I've been thinking of changing mine from 'cycoris' to 'cykoris' so that it'll follow the standard Greek rules of pronunciation, but the 'k' just makes the whole thing look unbalanced, so I haven't yet. Plus, it's only in my head that it's Greek anyway.

I've always liked Thufir's username, as well as Pyrian's.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-06, 09:54 AM
I have to say Djinn in Tonic is probably my favourite username. If only because I didn't get it at first. :smallcool:

BooNL
2009-10-06, 10:04 AM
What's stopping you? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108349)

This is surprisingly tempting...

Dragonrider
2009-10-06, 10:08 AM
Don't do it, don't!

And I've been thinking of changing mine from 'cycoris' to 'cykoris' so that it'll follow the standard Greek rules of pronunciation, but the 'k' just makes the whole thing look unbalanced, so I haven't yet. Plus, it's only in my head that it's Greek anyway.

I like it much better with a C. Anyway, Cyclops? I know it's irregular, but there IS precedent...:smalltongue:

SDF
2009-10-06, 10:11 AM
Behold the creativity of the homerow! Compare yourself to me and realize that I am number one and all others are two or lower!

Macross/Linux/Genetics references aside I started using this name online when I was fourteen. The last time I used it was on here. I have something I like better now, and have stuck with that. Been thinking about a change mostly because I feel I've lost a bit of my identity here of late and a new change might be welcome.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-06, 10:19 AM
Aww, everyone likes my name. I'm flattered. :smallbiggrin:

The right avatar definitely helps, at least in my case. I've considered changing mine to fit theme weeks and such on various occasions, but then where would PairO'Dice be without his pair o' dice? (Lost, I'm guessing....)

Tiger Duck
2009-10-06, 10:20 AM
I like the name "Nerd-o-rama" best and his current avatar makes me giggle.
special mention to Cobra Ikari, Miss Nobody, Slayer Draco, Shades of Gray, Nameless and the few I'm forgetting :p

edit
I finely got the pun in "PairO'Dice Lost" it's so embarrassing .

averagejoe
2009-10-06, 10:24 AM
I also like Sneak a lot, just because I like to imagine I'm talking to him and calling him, "The Sneak," even when it's grammatically inappropriate. (And sometimes even The Dapper Swindler. (http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/The_Sneak))

averagejoe: When I was relatively new to the playground, I actually got Jack Squat and you mixed up all the time. :smallbiggrin:

Heck, when I was relatively new to the playground I got me and Jack Squat mixed up all the time. :smallwink:

Your's always stuck out among the rest as well. And I do admit, your avatar's much cooler.

Yeah, but I have Gorbash to thank for that.

J.Gellert
2009-10-06, 10:45 AM
I don't use jokes as screen names, because I've notived this: One day I may see a screen name and go "oh my, that's clever, haha!" but the second day the joke is old, and a year later I may consider that kind of joke silly.

Lord Jierdan Firkraag, on the other hand, is no less badass today than he was nine years ago.

Quincunx
2009-10-06, 11:26 AM
Compounded compilation:
averagejoe
DeathQuaker
Cheesegear
SpiderMew

Objectification:
Ichneumon
dish

Amusing by association:
the various Vorpals (The Vorpal Tribble, Vorpal word, Vorpal Soda)

arguskos
2009-10-06, 11:29 AM
Compare yourself to me and realize that I am number one and all others are two or lower!
"Mysterious..."
"Terribly mysterious!"
:smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 11:46 AM
Fax Celestis, both for epic name as well as epic presence on the forum. Same for Vorpal Tribble, who also has such a consistent wonderful avatar.

My username is a bit of a fail on my part. I love titles, and this one isn't too interesting, and has NO real meaning behind it. I've been considering changing it, probably to either Alae Argenti or perhaps Kairos, who is my current avatar, who I intend to be keeping for a long time in one form or another. I haven't done so because I have absurd delusions of a reputation, and want to change it sometime when I'm really active, so people will notice the change and not just think I'm a new face on the forum. The same avatar will help too.

Fostire
2009-10-06, 12:01 PM
... Alae Argenti ...
Silver wing?

Ichneumon
2009-10-06, 12:11 PM
Compounded compilation:
averagejoe
DeathQuaker
Cheesegear
SpiderMew

Objectification:
Ichneumon
dish

Amusing by association:
the various Vorpals (The Vorpal Tribble, Vorpal word, Vorpal Soda)

I thank thee. Spidermew always seemed original to me.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 12:18 PM
If I was to change my name, do I like a..:

A) Blacklight Technicolor
B) Over the Clouds
C) Corn Husker/Cornhusker
D) Mr. Mud (This means my name should remain the same)

I'm leaning Toward B or D... How about y'all?

Rutskarn
2009-10-06, 12:22 PM
Eh. Mr. Mud works just fine, is my thoughts on the matter.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-06, 12:27 PM
Well it seems I shouldn't change my name!
I like Mr. Mud.

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 12:27 PM
Silver wing?

Wings of Silver, specifically, but yes. The inner part of me that represents who I really am.

Kairos is the most major character in anything I've worked on, as it's going to be an entire series of books. Plus, he's awesome and my current (and long term) avatar.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 12:30 PM
Wings of Silver, specifically, but yes. The inner part of me that represents who I really am.
Man, I LIKE you as Icewalker. I think it's pretty awesome. I might change mine though to something more memorable. arguskos is classic for myself, but it isn't memorable in any way.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 12:36 PM
Well it seems I shouldn't change my name!

Please, god no. Yours is probably 1st or 2nd "best" in the playground. :smallbiggrin:. I guess Muddie serves it's purposes... But I like naming things. :smallbiggrin:.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-10-06, 12:36 PM
My horrifying confession is that I think I got Fullbladder from a Ratchet & Clank cutscene.

... I'm thinking of dropping the whole 'Master of Goblins' bit. It's unwieldly and no one, including myself, uses it. The only thing it has going for it is the name recognition that won the Goblin and Redcloak in the Playground contests.

Yo, Mr. Mud. Keep it the way it is.

I like most usernames that sound like names, and those that don't sound like names but I use as names anyway, and actually I just really like the numberless, easily-rememberable usernames. My only real pet peeve involving usernames is when they aren't capitalized.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-06, 12:38 PM
I might change mine though to something more memorable. arguskos is classic for myself, but it isn't memorable in any way.

I don't know about that; I recognize it when I see you around. Yeah, it's not a Vorpal Tribble or a Fax Celestis, but you're pretty memorable.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 12:40 PM
Yo, Mr. Mud. Keep it the way it is.

Since this seems to be the consensus, I think It'll shall live on for a while more. 'Tis memorable to me, has great flow, but isn't really as... awesome... as some of the others out there.

Man, I LIKE you as Icewalker. I think it's pretty awesome. I might change mine though to something more memorable. arguskos is classic for myself, but it isn't memorable in any way.
Yeah, I'd just capitalize it maybe? A pet peeve of mine... but other than that, it's pretty memorable.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned RSJ yet. I mean, if you are gonna be a badass gunslinger mod in the playground, you gotta have a badass gunslinger mod name. And with a name like St. Jude, you KNOW he ain't messin around.

PS
<<<<< for best avatar I ever "borrowed"!

arguskos
2009-10-06, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'd just capitalize it maybe? A pet peeve of mine... but other than that, it's pretty memorable.
Actually, that IS a pet peeve of mine: I dislike capitalizing my two main usernames (this one, and bloodydoves, my alt). Strange, I know. I'm weird. :smallcool:

Oooh, yeah, the other one I REALLY remember is actually Roland St. Jude. Why? It's an alright name, but the real bit I remember is to always check Roland's title. Currently, I think it's on Fedoruman in the Playground (or was last week anyways). I like catching it each time he posts. It's like a game. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 01:34 PM
Actually, that IS a pet peeve of mine: I dislike capitalizing my two main usernames (this one, and bloodydoves, my alt). Strange, I know. I'm weird. :smallcool:

Oooh, yeah, the other one I REALLY remember is actually Roland St. Jude. Why? It's an alright name, but the real bit I remember is to always check Roland's title. Currently, I think it's on Fedoruman in the Playground (or was last week anyways). I like catching it each time he posts. It's like a game. :smalltongue:

That is a bit odd. Does that mean you like other people's usernames too be uncapitalized? like mr. mud?

And yeah, I also like to see Roland's New titles/avatars. I do sometimes miss "Gunslinger", Though.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 01:35 PM
No, I just hate MY two usernames being capitalized. mr. mud is painful to write and to read, but Arguskos is equally painful for me. Bloodydoves is not that bad, but I MUCH prefer arguskos/bloodydoves.

Just a weird nitpick I've got.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 01:36 PM

... Agreed. :smallwink:.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 01:47 PM
... Agreed. :smallwink:.
Punk. I'm typically a grammar/spelling nazi. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 01:49 PM
Punk. I'm typically a grammar/spelling nazi. :smalltongue:

Lulz? ur teh gr4mmar naz1??!?111 lololol1l11l. omg.

... That hurt me more to type, than it hurt you to read... trust me.

Pika...
2009-10-06, 01:49 PM
PS
<<<<< for best avatar I ever "borrowed"!

Would you like me to photoshop the white out of it for you?

It would make it look nicer, and a bit bigger (since the whote won't take of boarder room).

arguskos
2009-10-06, 01:51 PM
Lulz? ur teh gr4mmar naz1??!?111 lololol1l11l. omg.

... That hurt me more to type, than it hurt you to read... trust me.
....*twitch*..... *twitchtwitch* AUGH!!! *bloodvesselbursts*

Also, so, would my current or bloodydoves be best you think? Been considering a change for awhile now.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 01:56 PM
....*twitch*..... *twitchtwitch* AUGH!!! *bloodvesselbursts*

Also, so, would my current or bloodydoves be best you think? Been considering a change for awhile now.
Hmm... Tough one.

Bloody Doves > arguskos
bloodydoves < arguskos

aruguskos is what most will remember you by, though. BD might confuse some. Dunno, both are pretty spiffy :smalltongue:.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 01:58 PM
Hmm... Tough one.

Bloody Doves > arguskos
bloodydoves < arguskos

aruguskos is what most will remember you by, though. BD might confuse some. Dunno, both are pretty spiffy :smalltongue:.
Huh. Might leave it be then. Maybe I'll change it in awhile, when I get more opinions on the thought.

Ok, back on topicish: Qunicunx gets an award, for being the first person hereabouts to make me go look up a word just by being there. :smallwink:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-06, 02:03 PM
Huh. Might leave it be then. Maybe I'll change it in awhile, when I get more opinions on the thought.

Ok, back on topicish: Qunicunx gets an award, for being the first person hereabouts to make me go look up a word just by being there. :smallwink:

Agreed. And for having the coolest avvies ever. >.>

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 02:05 PM
Agreed. And for having the coolest avvies ever. >.>

Cobra, you get an award for... something I dunno how to name, really. But whenever I see your name, I feel just a little bit more loved. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-10-06, 02:09 PM
Dude, nothing personal, but everytime you post *huggles* or something, Cobra, I just think of a real cobra crushing a mouse to death and eating it, and shudder a little. :smalleek:

Was that on purpose, or did it just work out that way?

Also, what's the Ikari mean?

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 02:19 PM
Would you like me to photoshop the white out of it for you?

Would it be much trouble? I'd <3 you forever!!!!

Supagoof
2009-10-06, 02:36 PM
Suprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, though it's a rare occasion to see him anymore.

Death, your friend the Reaper was always a favorite name. There's a great symbolism with it, especially when you think about Death's cold embrace or the kiss of Death. I mean who wouldn't want a hug from a friend.

[Insert Neat Username] is another one I love. Also detrevnisisiht gets points for being just as clever. Type it backwards if you haven't figured it out yet.

Someonenonotyou was also a fun one to me. I would enjoy throwing his name into a conversation.

Dragonrider
2009-10-06, 02:42 PM
I liked phoenixineohp's name a lot. :smalltongue: also it abbreviated well to pxp.

And Dihan's username before he abbreviated it was along the lines of those listed above. :smallbiggrin:

Elan's Modron
2009-10-06, 02:44 PM
Oh, gosh, I like my name and avatar.:smallcool:
I wanted to stay in-universe, I also like Planescape a whole helluva lot, and I think the real Elan's modron probably is as bughouse-worthy by now as Belkar's angel/planetar...

Narcissistically yours,:smallredface:
EM

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 02:57 PM
I liked phoenixineohp's name a lot. :smalltongue: also it abbreviated well to pxp....What ever happened to her, anyway? She seems to have disappeared both from here and from LiveJournal.

evisiron
2009-10-06, 03:44 PM

Definitely the first one to come to mind when looking at the topic title. :smallbiggrin:

Fostire
2009-10-06, 03:53 PM
No, I just hate MY two usernames being capitalized. mr. mud is painful to write and to read, but Arguskos is equally painful for me. Bloodydoves is not that bad, but I MUCH prefer arguskos/bloodydoves.

I totally understand. My old username, LordRod, has to be spelled that way, that is with the L and R capitalized and NO space. It's really annoying when people write it wrong.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-10-06, 03:58 PM
...What ever happened to her, anyway? She seems to have disappeared both from here and from LiveJournal.

She's around and doing okay, just distracted with real life stuff.

I love the pun names too, and really miss Miss Elaneous.

A name that I thought was great but he only made 2 posts ever, I think, was Kung-fu Kobold.

WXDruid gets points for a cool name cuz WX is an abbreviation for weather.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-06, 04:13 PM
I also like Atreyu the Masked LLama :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 04:35 PM
Oooh, yeah, I think Djinn in Tonic may be my favorite. That's straight up genius.

Hell Puppi
2009-10-06, 04:49 PM
Qunicunx - It's kind of a name and a warning, me thinks.
Atreyu the Masked Llama
Djinn n' Tonic
Mauve Shirt
Pair O' Dice
Vorpal Tribble (almost as good as a Purple Vorpal Llama)
Roland St. Jude - Okay, imagine what you think a person with this name should look like. It pretty much fits.
Pxp- For having the name I didn't get until someone pointed it out >.>

Headless_Ninja
2009-10-06, 04:57 PM
Potatocubed, Mauve Shirt and Cobra Ikari are all favourites of mine.
And on the topic of name change, I've wanted to change mine for a while. On pretty much every other forum, I go by some variation on 'Mr Mistofales' (ie Mrmistoffelees, Mistophale, etc) and it feels a bit weird to have a completely different name here. Thoughts?

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-06, 05:02 PM
Potatocubed, Mauve Shirt and Cobra Ikari are all favourites of mine.
And on the topic of name change, I've wanted to change mine for a while. On pretty much every other forum, I go by some variation on 'Mr Mistofales' (ie Mrmistoffelees, Mistophale, etc) and it feels a bit weird to have a completely different name here. Thoughts?

What's the text limit? Could you fit in 'Magical Mystery Cat'?

Headless_Ninja
2009-10-06, 05:06 PM
What's the text limit? Could you fit in 'Magical Mystery Cat'?
Heh. Actually, it's only indirectly named after the Cats character (hence the misspelling[s]). A friend once decided that the name would be great name for a supervillain which he had drawn, and whom I once attended a superhero-themed costume party as.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-06, 05:26 PM
I totally understand. My old username, LordRod, has to be spelled that way, that is with the L and R capitalized and NO space. It's really annoying when people write it wrong.

I'm kind of the same way; my sig says "call me Dice" so I don't mind that or PairO'Dice, but people have called me Pair, Pairodice, PoDL, Lost, Pair-o-Dice, and a bunch of other variations, and it's kind of irritating. Not enough to make me change the name or make a big deal of it, but I keep thinking "The name is right there, you can just copy-paste!" :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 05:36 PM
...What ever happened to her, anyway? She seems to have disappeared both from here and from LiveJournal.Finishing up college and planning a wedding has occupied most of her time lately.

Lappy9000
2009-10-06, 06:03 PM
I'm kind of the same way; my sig says "call me Dice" so I don't mind that or PairO'Dice, but people have called me Pair, Pairodice, PoDL, Lost, Pair-o-Dice, and a bunch of other variations, and it's kind of irritating. Not enough to make me change the name or make a big deal of it, but I keep thinking "The name is right there, you can just copy-paste!" :smallwink:^That guy right there. I really like his user name.

Other favorites of mine include:
Djinn in Tonic
The Vorpal Tribble
Debihuman
Roland St. Jude
Cheesegear
boomwolf
Dr. Bath

...Although there are plenty of others that are just as creative!

arguskos
2009-10-06, 06:04 PM
I'm kind of the same way; my sig says "call me Dice" so I don't mind that or PairO'Dice, but people have called me Pair, Pairodice, PoDL, Lost, Pair-o-Dice, and a bunch of other variations, and it's kind of irritating. Not enough to make me change the name or make a big deal of it, but I keep thinking "The name is right there, you can just copy-paste!" :smallwink:
Thing is, Dice just doesn't work for me. I like calling you Pair, it just works better IMO. I dunno, it just seems nice. Then again, it's your name, so :smallbiggrin:. I could call you O', but that might be annoying to type.

shadowxknight
2009-10-06, 06:07 PM
My username is one of the most unoriginal ones ever. :smallsigh:

My favorite is nothingclever; which I ironically think is very clever.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-06, 06:12 PM
Thing is, Dice just doesn't work for me. I like calling you Pair, it just works better IMO. I dunno, it just seems nice. Then again, it's your name, so :smallbiggrin:. I could call you O', but that might be annoying to type.

Nah. Pair is fine too; it's only when someone calls me Pair in one post and something different in the next one that I don't like it--at least pick one nickname to use.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-06, 06:24 PM
Dude, nothing personal, but everytime you post *huggles* or something, Cobra, I just think of a real cobra crushing a mouse to death and eating it, and shudder a little. :smalleek:

Was that on purpose, or did it just work out that way?

Also, what's the Ikari mean?

The Cobra in my name actually doesn't refer to an animal. There's a story how that became my avvie, and everyone seemed to assume I meant it as an animal, so...*shrugs*...I just run with it.

And Ikari was a loose Japanese translation of "Hatred", though I'm told it's closer to "Wrath". There's a story for that, as well. I'm pretty sure I've told it on the forum once or twice already.

Recaiden
2009-10-06, 06:27 PM
I prefer the ones that sound somewhat like names, myself.
Mordokai, Castaras, Cycoris, etc.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 06:27 PM
The Cobra in my name actually doesn't refer to an animal. There's a story how that became my avvie, and everyone seemed to assume I meant it as an animal, so...*shrugs*...I just run with it.

And Ikari was a loose Japanese translation of "Hatred", though I'm told it's closer to "Wrath". There's a story for that, as well. I'm pretty sure I've told it on the forum once or twice already.
...really? I will guarantee it was before my time here, so I wouldn't know even if you have shared already. :smallwink:

cycoris
2009-10-06, 06:32 PM
I prefer the ones that sound somewhat like names, myself.
Mordokai, Castaras, Cycoris, etc.
(Emphasis added. :smallbiggrin:)

And I forgot to mention that I love Recaiden. It lends itself to all kinds of nicknames, doesn't it, Reccy?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-06, 06:50 PM
...really? I will guarantee it was before my time here, so I wouldn't know even if you have shared already. :smallwink:

Well, my best friend wanted to write Metal Gear Solid 3 self-insert-style fanfiction, with us as the villains. The villains of that game are the Cobra Unit, hence the Cobra part. They're also all named after emotions, so we brainstormed up some, and I became "The Hatred". Another friend decided to write a story with the same characters set in ancient Japan, so we web-translated the names into Japanese, and I became Ikari.

The cobra avvie is because one of my avvies before anyone made one for me was a tree wearing sunglasses. Rex Idiotarum made a joke about tree cobras in RB, I found a picture of one (small, grey, and with huge black eyes), and he made me my first avvie, a swaying cobra. I liked it so much, I kept the theme. *nods*

And there you go. Lame storytime is over. =P

Recaiden
2009-10-06, 06:56 PM
(Emphasis added. :smallbiggrin:)

And I forgot to mention that I love Recaiden. It lends itself to all kinds of nicknames, doesn't it, Reccy?

Yes it does, Yvri. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2009-10-06, 06:57 PM
Actually, that's a better story than I was expecting. I liked it, thanks for sharing. :smallredface:

cycoris
2009-10-06, 07:15 PM
Yes it does, Yvri. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Heh, no one's called me that in a while.

And Cobra's story was awesome. Hatred... :smallamused:

Trog
2009-10-06, 07:54 PM
Lots of people like the name Djinn_In_Tonic, eh? That was a drink in Trog's Tavern (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17695) (Djinn & Tonic) at least three months prior to Djinn registering under that name. :smallwink: I remember seeing it and going "oh someone used that as a user name? Hmm... that works." Not that he couldn't come up with it on his own and such - he probably did. And he's always had one of the most awesome avatars. LOVE the fez. :smallbiggrin:

Plus I need to live vicariously through his name since my user name is pretty, well, mundane. :smalltongue: But at least it's a four-letter word... so... uh... I have that going for me... which is nice.

Also good ones:
Mauve Shirt
Death, Your Friend, The Reaper
Phoenixineohp
PairO'Dice Lost
Charity

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-06, 09:50 PM
I hate my name, I chose it when I was thirteen, I want it changed!, but I cant!!
WAAAAAHHHHHH!:mad:

Jack Squat
2009-10-06, 09:54 PM
Why can't you change it?

Fostire
2009-10-06, 10:09 PM
I hate my name, I chose it when I was thirteen, I want it changed!, but I cant!!
WAAAAAHHHHHH!:mad:

Why not? if it's because of the "name changes are done to users from before the forum switch" thing, that is no longer the case.
The new rules are:

1. Posters must be registered for at least three months before requesting a name change (consideration will be given to technical issues during sign up).
2. Posters must not have received a name change in the last six months.

and you can do the change here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108349)

Stormthorn
2009-10-06, 11:37 PM
I like Aziraphale.

As far as taking the names of characters go you cant beat that.

celtois
2009-10-06, 11:47 PM
I really like Atreyu the Masked Llama, as well as Rawhide.
They just sound really nice to me.

I really don't like my user name though what was I thinking when I made it up.
I'm seriously considering changing it to Clover

Dienekes
2009-10-07, 12:31 AM
Ehh, mine is based off of a spartan who died at Thermopylae who may or may not have been the best fighter there or fictitious.

Mostly cause I study Spartan stuff in my free time and I thought Leonidas was too cheesy.

As for good names, Djinn and Tonic and PairO'Dice have the best.

Though on another forum I was always amused by the name "Sir Not Appearing Yet"

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-07, 12:40 AM
Though on another forum I was always amused by the name "Sir Not Appearing Yet"

Should be "Sir Not-Posting-In-This-Thread."

Fostire
2009-10-07, 08:08 AM
Since you can only request a name once every 3 months (even if you can't get the name, I believe), I don't want you to waste your request. Yeah, apparently Clover's already taken.

Bolded part isn't true, so if you post a request and the name's already taken, you can just make another request with a different name. I do recommend however that you search beforehand to see if the name is taken because it can be a while before a mod does the name change and if it's taken you'll have to wait a long time before he get's to your second request.
And the time is 6 months between name changes.

TheBibliophile
2009-10-07, 08:36 AM
I chose my name for purely innocent reasons, and then drakeblood corrupted it! :smallfurious:

My favourite names are Mordokai, Cryssandra, Recaiden and Reinholdt. Even though I get the last two mixed up a lot.

Trai
2009-10-07, 02:55 PM
I've always been curious; where does the name Pyrian come from? Is it an actual name? Please forgive me if I'm being terribly dense and it is a reference to something of which I know not :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-07, 03:35 PM
For me it tends to be a case of the person making their username work or not...

For example, a lot of work has gone into the personas of:
Vorpal Tribble
PairO'Dice lost
Djinn in Tonic
as well as less recognised forumites like
Shadow Elf
Zeta Kai
(and one of their confederates who I will not name, because his ego needs no help).

My own monicker has gone through a few variations over the past four/five years, but it's a part of who I am, so I wouldn't change it for world domination...

Pyrian
2009-10-07, 03:49 PM
"Pyrian" began my use as a nonsense string of syllables for a character name in a cooperative writing exercise about twenty years ago. It wasn't meant to mean anything. I adopted it for general use at the suggestion of a friend, and it's unusual enough that I can typically get more-or-less exclusive access to it as a handle. At any rate, it certainly identifies me a lot more specifically than my legal name (including surname) - there are six of us just in San Diego!

That being said, it can be easily derived as an adjective from pyr, a Greek root of fire and illumination (from which we get "pyre"). ...I don't mind that so much, y'know? :smallbiggrin: So, it crops up in usage periodically for something fiery.

I've also seen it as an alternate spelling for "Pierian" as in the "Pyrian Spring":

Drink deeply or taste not the Pyrian Spring

- Satyricon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyricon) (Alexander Pope's An Essay on Criticism was many centuries later)

The "Pierian Spring" is the fountain of knowledge in ancient Greek myth. I'm fond of the reference and frequently use "Drink deeply or not at all..." as a tagline.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-07, 03:56 PM
For me it tends to be a case of the person making their username work or not...

For example, a lot of work has gone into the personas of:
[...]
PairO'Dice lost

That's a rather interesting perspective, actually. I wasn't aware I was projecting a "persona," aside from my avatar and a sig quote that kinda match my name. Was that what you were referring to, or something else?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-07, 05:33 PM
Roland St Jude: Because the mere mention of his name inspires fear in the very soul of any forum-goer who hears it and has done wrong.

Dhaver: His name sticks in my head because he was the first Titan-itP that I saw on the site, and ever since I've had some kind of weird respect for him based purely on that. I know I'm insane.

+1 more for Djinn in Tonic because it's awesome.

Jalor
2009-10-07, 06:06 PM
"Pyrian" began my use as a nonsense string of syllables for a character name in a cooperative writing exercise about twenty years ago. It wasn't meant to mean anything. I adopted it for general use at the suggestion of a friend, and it's unusual enough that I can typically get more-or-less exclusive access to it as a handle.
That's pretty much how I got mine. The original Jalor was my character in an MMORPG, Asheron's Call; if you knew a Jalor on the Wintersebb and Solclaim servers, that was me. I later used the name in my first series of short stories, for a supporting character who pulled a River Tam and became the center of the plotline. He's that fellow in my avatar. It's a pretty convenient name to have, since it's five letters and almost never taken. I'm Jalor999 on XBox Live and Jalor218 on YouTube, but I've never seen it be taken anywhere else. If you see a Jalor, it's probably me.

Naturally, I prefer names that sound like names rather than titles or descriptions. It's a bit easier to have a conversation with someone going by Coidzor or Castaras or Pyrian than "LaserNinjaKnight4000".

Dragonrider
2009-10-07, 06:14 PM
Dhaver: His name sticks in my head because he was the first Titan-itP that I saw on the site, and ever since I've had some kind of weird respect for him based purely on that. I know I'm insane.

You know, that reminds me...when I first joined my brother, who's been a member since 2005, was talking about cool names and he mentioned Amotis and Dhavaer specifically as two of the coolest usernames on the forums. So I always thought of that. What happened to Amotis, anyhow?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-07, 06:25 PM
You know, that reminds me...when I first joined my brother, who's been a member since 2005, was talking about cool names and he mentioned Amotis and Dhavaer specifically as two of the coolest usernames on the forums. So I always thought of that. What happened to Amotis, anyhow?

Can't say I've ever seen him/her post. But then again that goes for most of the Mods as well. I see their names at the bottom of the various forums (weirdly Roland is apparently only a Mod for the RP forum), but I've never seen a lot of them post. Did Roland lose a bet or something?

I also just saw purple gelatinous cube o' Doom, who may have just taken the number 1 spot on my fave name's list.

Edit: I realise on rereading, that the first bit may be read as a jab at the Mods. It wasn't meant that way, it was merely a wondering (and a poor attempt at humour). Please don't ban me.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 06:27 PM
You know, that reminds me...when I first joined my brother, who's been a member since 2005, was talking about cool names and he mentioned Amotis and Dhavaer specifically as two of the coolest usernames on the forums. So I always thought of that. What happened to Amotis, anyhow?He updates his Facebook pretty regularly, but I haven't seen him post here in aaaaages.

^Amotis was never a Mod. Sorry. You're thinking of someone else.

Trai
2009-10-07, 07:34 PM
Man, all these cool stories about how people's usernames came about... do I suck for using an actual nickname of mine? :smallwink: I stole my other usual Internet handle from a TV show, too. I feel so unoriginal compared to all you geniuses...

blackfox
2009-10-07, 08:12 PM
@DeeRee: Amotis is all over Facebook, mostly just being Amotis and otherwise random.

My favorite screennames... probably something along the lines of:
Vorpal Tribble
Miss Elaneous

Once my brain stops exploding, I'll be able to tell you moar screennames I like. =)P

Crimmy
2009-10-07, 08:27 PM
I'll have to go for Sneak, Mr. Saturn, Dr. Bath, and StarDot (*.*.*.)

Pika...
2009-10-07, 08:42 PM
Would it be much trouble? I'd <3 you forever!!!!

Sorry for the delay. Had to find the original image. :smallsmile:

Try it out for size:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/IceCreamAvatar.png

edit. It's has a transparent .png background, so it does not look like I changed anything.

edit 2: Trying it out to test it.

edit #3: Oops. Forgot to mention to keep the width at 106, and the height at 120.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-07, 11:07 PM
Man, all these cool stories about how people's usernames came about... do I suck for using an actual nickname of mine? :smallwink: I stole my other usual Internet handle from a TV show, too. I feel so unoriginal compared to all you geniuses...

Well, not everyone can be blessed with a +5 keen rapier wit. :smallbiggrin:

Kcalehc
2009-10-08, 08:19 AM
Many already mentioned (Djinn, Pair 'o and others) I do agree are very creative names, with a style that matches the atmosphere of these boards.

As for my own name, if anyone's interested: Everquest, upon the creation of my first character randomly generated 'Chelack' for me. It was a good aligned character. When later I decided to make an evil aligned character I simply reversed the name. Since then it has stuck as one of two names I am known as in the places I frequent throughout the 'net; few though they are.

Zincorium
2009-10-08, 10:18 AM
I've actually been thinking of changing my user name- half the time people use it, it ends up as Zirconium. And I can't blame them.

Unfortunately I don't have any good replacements- all of my real life nicknames are either unexplainable in-jokes or are based on my last name.

Talya
2009-10-08, 10:26 AM
Pair O'dice Lost

Cleverdan22
2009-10-08, 11:23 AM
Pair O'dice Lost

Agreed. Can't help but love the puns.

Gullara
2009-10-09, 10:57 AM
I like cobra's name and Death, your friend the reaper is a good one too.

On a side note does anyone get my name?

Fostire
2009-10-09, 11:19 AM
I like cobra's name and Death, your friend the reaper is a good one too.

On a side note does anyone get my name?

Roleplaying Games are for me? or is there some other more subtle meaning I'm not getting?

Gullara
2009-10-09, 12:04 PM
Roleplaying Games are for me? or is there some other more subtle meaning I'm not getting?

Thats the one, I was hoping that people would get it. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-09, 12:18 PM
It's quite easy.:smallwink:

RPG's = common abbreviation

4 = common chatspeak.

Me = me.

>.>

Perenelle
2009-10-09, 04:37 PM
I like the names Blackfox, RabbitHoleLost, Ichneumon, and Recaiden. :smallsmile:

The Demented One
2009-10-09, 04:38 PM
The Family Blackleaf indeed has some awesome screennames.

Yarram
2009-10-10, 04:28 AM
I guess it's not particularly inventive/out of the ordinary, but I've always liked Serpentine. FredTheFighter is pretty cool too.

Fri
2009-10-10, 04:35 AM
beside that's been said here...

Gimli Fett. But that's because he got an awesome dwarf bounty hunter avatar as well.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-10, 04:40 AM
I like Handsome Dan and Cleverdan22.

Whenever I read them it reminds me how awesome I am. I mean it's really touching that people would go that far to give me a complement. I didn't even have to tell them my name. :smalleek:

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-10, 05:35 AM
I like Djinn In Tonic and PairO'Dice Lost for the punny, and Vorpal Tribble because it reminds me of a very long [very drunk] conversation I once had about tribbles.

There are a lot of other people on here with clever names (and clever avatars) but my memory for names is terrible.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-10, 06:45 PM
I'll second Djinn in Tonic as well. His name, avatar, and sig made me laugh long before I got the pun.
And how about Murska? Murska has a nice ring to it, especially for someone with his reputation.

blackfox
2009-10-10, 07:07 PM
I like the names Blackfox*snip*But... but... but it's of the form Adjective Noun!

(Also add to my list: Bor the Barbarian Monk.)

Kallisti
2009-10-10, 10:03 PM
Oh, God. There are just so many screen names out there, all of them better than mine...

Djinn in Tonic and PairO'Dice Lost both get big points for the puns, of course.

Je dit Viola and Eleventh Hour both sound really cool to me. I just like the ring...

And *.*.*.* & A Rainy Knight. I like their screen names, too. Stardot is creative, and think of all the fun while people try to decide what to call him/her/it, and for some reason I just like the sound of A Rainy Knight. The pun's not particularly clever or anything, it just sounds...nice.

All in all, I could have chosen much better than Kallisti, probably. And yet, somehow, I feel no desire to go request a name change. Probably because I have no better ideas. :smallsigh:

Adumbration
2009-10-11, 05:26 AM
The first that spring into mind are Demented One, Krimm Blackleaf, Djinn in Tonic and Vorpal Tribble, although I think it has much to do with the fact that it's almost always associated with something awesome, usually in the form of homebrew.

I've grown fond of my own username, although it really doesn't roll off the keyboard and thus is mis"pronounced". Due to it's obscure meaning, I've also had some people think that it means A dumb brat or a variation thereof.

EDIT: Got one.

horngeek
2009-10-11, 06:19 AM
and think of all the fun while people try to decide what to call him/her/it

<.<
>.>

See my name for a more... unfortunate example of this.

The alternative was noobsuit, and let's leave it at that. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-11, 08:44 AM
I've grown fond of my own username, although it really doesn't roll off the keyboard and thus is mis"pronounced". Due to it's obscure meaning, I've also had some people think that it means A dumb brat or a variation thereof.

Be serious, it's A Dumb Ration.

Illiterate Scribe
2009-10-11, 09:09 AM
He doesn't post here, but I think that

βæbý♥ϐÅńĐĭŦ}ga†ma$ta_dipдsnitchд

takes the biscuit.

littlequietguy
2009-10-11, 09:24 PM
I liked Hero 1.0 but I think he changed his screen name.

Anuan
2009-10-11, 10:26 PM
I like Roc Ness. It's just pretty awesome.

Trobby
2009-10-12, 10:20 AM
Cobra Ikari: Always puts me in the mind of Ikari Warriors, and because this:

Well, my best friend wanted to write Metal Gear Solid 3 self-insert-style fanfiction, with us as the villains. The villains of that game are the Cobra Unit, hence the Cobra part. They're also all named after emotions, so we brainstormed up some, and I became "The Hatred". Another friend decided to write a story with the same characters set in ancient Japan, so we web-translated the names into Japanese, and I became Ikari.

The cobra avvie is because one of my avvies before anyone made one for me was a tree wearing sunglasses. Rex Idiotarum made a joke about tree cobras in RB, I found a picture of one (small, grey, and with huge black eyes), and he made me my first avvie, a swaying cobra. I liked it so much, I kept the theme. *nods*

And there you go. Lame storytime is over. =P

Is the best name origin story I have ever heard.

:p Besides, it's far cooler than my name origin story.

Basically, "Introbulus" Is the name that I use everywhere for everything on the internet. I like to do that because if you Google Introbulus, it will bring up basically everywhere I've ever been online.

The name origin is completely silly. While playing a game of Civ III Multiplayer, I would usually enter a random set of letters and turn it into what resembled a name. One of those names was "Introbulus", and I liked the way it looked so much that I decided to make it my main RP character. (He rarely gets used anymore, but holds a very dear place to my heart.) And after that, I simply KEPT using it because nobody, anywhere, ever, uses the name except me. :smallbiggrin:

Other names that I like

DragonRider: It has a subtle and sweet charm to it.
HereticNox: I'm not even sure what it means, but I like the way it sounds.
Jacklu: Both adorable and impish, which is win in my book.
Tanaric: Also sounds pretty cool.

It occurs to me that I don't frequent the Friendly Banter board quite as much as some of the regulars. Which is too bad, because you guys are pretty nice.