PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying to do a Let's Play...

Drascin
2009-10-05, 05:08 PM
Well, the title is pretty self-explicative. I recently got the idea to try my hand at making one of these. However, I'm not sure what game we should go for. Some choices from my recent collection:

- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Never quite seen a Let's Play of Monster Hunter, and it seems odd, because it lends itself pretty well to much silliness if taken from the POV of the Hunter itself. I'd have to restart, of course. This would probably be my favorite choice, espcially since I know enough to play half-decently, but I'm bad enough that we'd certainly find some fun in it.
- Disgaea 2 PSP. As shown in Oslecamo's SRW let's play, tactics games lend themseves pretty well to Let's Plays too, and I just got it. Beat it in PS2, but hey. It's Disgaea. Disgaea never gets old.
- Dungeon Keeper (1). I played this thing when it came out, me being around nine or so. I, of course, had absolutely zero idea of what to do, though I seem to remember I got quite far on simple combat ability. But cleaning the attic, we've found my old disc, and somehow it still works, so maybe I could hop back in. I wonder if I still got my Warlock touch.
- Neverland Card Battles. A friend lent this to me. Seems a weird mix between FFT and a card game. I'm only in Episode 2, though, so I don't know how good it is.

Or, of course, if you have any suggestions for good games do mention them. My library is big enough I myself cannot even remember all the games I have accumulated with the years, and what I don't have, there's a pretty good chance I can find easy (having many gamer friends can do that). Maybe Terranigma, I always had a thorn in my side with that game as a kid...

So, please post some suggestions tonight, though I'll reply tomorrow morning at the earliest because, you know, sleep :smallwink:.

chiasaur11
2009-10-05, 05:13 PM
Well, I've seen two complete Monster Rancher LPs and there's one going on right now, and they're all reasonably amusing.

Might be worth trying.

Astrella
2009-10-05, 05:21 PM
I think Dungeon Keeper has potential for an amusing Let's Play.

Terraoblivion
2009-10-05, 05:23 PM
In the interest of not getting Disgaea 2 spoiled and not caring about the last two i have to vote Dungeon Keeper. I think i was slightly older than you when i played it and thus had learned enough English to more or less figure the damn thing out, though i far from got every little joke and comment in it. I also remember it as quite a good game, though i would always have a book on hand when playing it. It lends itself so much to just sitting around waiting for my monsters to grow to enormous levels and pummel everything. Would be nice to get to see it again, though.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-10-05, 05:26 PM
Disgaea 2, just because it is awesome.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-05, 06:05 PM
Dungeon keeper!

It sounds like a good game, but I've never played it myself.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-05, 06:20 PM
Of the listed choices: Dungeon Keeper.

Of the not-listed choices? Zoo Tycoon or Roller Coaster Tycoon (but not 3! :smallfurious:)

Starbuck_II
2009-10-05, 07:13 PM
Dungeon Keeper only because I've always wanted to see it.

Not on list: FFT (Final Fantady Tactics), I've played it but never seen a let's play of it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-05, 07:25 PM

Not on list: FFT (Final Fantady Tactics), I've played it but never seen a let's play of it.

ZeroNumerous had one (abandoned it) and I tried to do a FFTA one (it died).

But that's another good idea. Put the Tycoons behind it as far as I'm concerned.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-05, 07:29 PM
Disgea 2 or Monster Hunter. Don't give a **** at all about the others.

Drascin
2009-10-06, 02:34 AM
It seems the playground doesn't share my love of Monster Hunter. Aw. In exchange, though, it seems Dungeon Keeper is winning by a landslide right now.

Well, I've seen two complete Monster Rancher LPs and there's one going on right now, and they're all reasonably amusing.

Might be worth trying.

Never played a Monster Rancher game, in all honesty. I've heard from friends they're quite like Pokémon, though, which I like, so it wouldn't be much of a problem.

In the interest of not getting Disgaea 2 spoiled and not caring about the last two i have to vote Dungeon Keeper. I think i was slightly older than you when i played it and thus had learned enough English to more or less figure the damn thing out, though i far from got every little joke and comment in it. I also remember it as quite a good game, though i would always have a book on hand when playing it. It lends itself so much to just sitting around waiting for my monsters to grow to enormous levels and pummel everything. Would be nice to get to see it again, though.

Yeah, understanding what was going on beyond rudimentary notions would have helped :smalltongue:. And yes, it's probably a game to play with a DS on hand.

Of the listed choices: Dungeon Keeper.

Of the not-listed choices? Zoo Tycoon or Roller Coaster Tycoon (but not 3! :smallfurious:)

Heh. I think I still have my mom's old Rollercoaster 2 around here, so I could do it. She played it far more than I did. Heck, she was even willing to brave 3's interface, which I found all kinds of facepalm-worthy.

...sorry, but I refuse to play Tactics again, if you mean the PSOne one. The game is good and all, but it's so horrifically slow after having played Disgaea. And the PSP version somehow manages to be even slower. I can't muster the will to play it again, unless maybe I get an emulator and put it in frameskip 5 or so.

Crossblade
2009-10-06, 02:59 AM
I'll vote for Monster Hunter :p I've NEVER seen on played, but had a friend from a former job go on and on about how awesome the original game was; and the concept intrigued me.

Vote 2 would be Dungeon Keeper. Never heard of the game, but wiki'ing it, it's concept seems like it would fit a LP very well.

Mordokai
2009-10-06, 03:13 AM
Another vote for Dungeon Keeper.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-06, 03:13 AM
...sorry, but I refuse to play Tactics again, if you mean the PSOne one. The game is good and all, but it's so horrifically slow after having played Disgaea. And the PSP version somehow manages to be even slower. I can't muster the will to play it again, unless maybe I get an emulator and put it in frameskip 5 or so.
Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Bouregard
2009-10-06, 04:32 AM
uh oh! Dungeon Keeper! That brings back memories...

Belobog
2009-10-06, 02:17 PM
One more vote for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Pretty much the only reason I break out my PSP anymore.

Drascin
2009-10-06, 03:55 PM
So, right now we're 6 votes for Dungeon Keeper against 4 votes for Monster Hunter (well, three from you guys, and then one mine) and a few one-ofs and two-ofs. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon before starting, so if anyone has anything else to say please do.

Blayze
2009-10-06, 07:51 PM
Robotrek. I expect at least one "Gattai da!" reference.

Woot Spitum
2009-10-06, 11:05 PM
Go for Dungeon Keeper.

Comet
2009-10-07, 03:17 AM
Monster Hunter.

Lord of Rapture
2009-10-07, 04:35 AM
Monster Hunter, because Something Awful already did Dungeon Keeper.

Besides, we all know you should do Evil Genius instead.:smallbiggrin:

Miss Nobody
2009-10-07, 12:12 PM
Dungeon Keeper! Oh, how I loved that game.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-07, 06:35 PM
Monster Hunter, because Something Awful already did Dungeon Keeper.

Besides, we all know you should do Evil Genius instead.:smallbiggrin:

Is there anything Something Awful hasn't done?

Aside from the newer Pokemon games because of the "1 Pokemon Game at a time ONLY!" and previously "NO POKEMON LET'S PLAYS" rules?

chiasaur11
2009-10-07, 06:47 PM
Is there anything Something Awful hasn't done?

Aside from the newer Pokemon games because of the "1 Pokemon Game at a time ONLY!" and previously "NO POKEMON LET'S PLAYS" rules?

Yes. Marathon 2 and infinity, X-Com Terror From the Deep and Enforcer, and probably many other games.

The fact those four were the only ones I could find?

Inconclusive!

Vic_Sage
2009-10-07, 07:07 PM
X-Com Terror From the Deep
There staying away from that one to keep their sanity.

Johnny Blade
2009-10-07, 07:12 PM
There staying away from that one to keep their sanity.
Sissies.
(Not that my first attempt at beating this game didn't end in a ridiculous slaughter, but still...)

Also, I'm not sure why "Something Awful has done it already!" is in any way relevant. It's not like there's an infinite amount of games anyway.
(I still had Google tell me that there apparently isn't a Jagged Alliance 2 LP over there.)

Hypocrisy is the spice of life.

Blayze
2009-10-07, 08:15 PM
Actually, I've got a better suggestion: Jagged Alliance 2. Perhaps on Iron Man (No saving mid-battle), perhaps not. However, it can be a veritable goldmine of comedy and drama if used correctly -- especially if a certain "Sci-Fi" difficulty switch is turned on.

Edit: Damn it! Something about brackets means I never read what's in them! Must be the Tsujatha effect...

Johnny Blade
2009-10-07, 08:20 PM
Now where did you get that idea from? :smallwink:

(I'm planning to start a JA2 Let's Play. It's just planned at this point, but it will probably happen some time next month. As soon as I've figured out what weapons mods to use on top of 1.13 so this thing doesn't degenerate into auto-fire madness with occasional sniper duels or vice versa. Also as soon as I have some characters fleshed out for you people to pick as the custom merc. Not that there couldn't be two LPs for the same game, I'm just saying that there'll be one soon unless life decides that I deserve a good kick in the nuts or something.)