PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Persistent Spells [3.5]

OMG PONIES
2009-10-05, 05:24 PM
I've seen plenty of threads about persistable spells in core, but most of the lists I've found online are not complete when it comes to splatbooks. So, Playgrounders, what non-core spells are too good NOT to Persist?

Right now, my favorite is Choose Destiny (via Contemplative and Divine Metamagic, thanks to playground suggestions on the PrC).

Also, since there seems to be some debate, I am of the mindset that touch spells are not persistable.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-05, 05:31 PM
My favorite spells to Persist are party-level spells:

Vigorous Circle (fast healing 3; Spell Compendium)
Holy Aura (+4 deflection to AC, +4 Resistance to saves, 25 SR vs. Evil spells and spells from Evil creatures, protection from mind control and posession, Evil critters that hit you in melee save or be blind; PHB)
Recitation (+2 or +3 luck to AC, saves, and attack rolls; Spell Compendium)
Elation (+2 Morale to Strength and Dex, +5 foot move; book of Exalted Deeds)
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (+3 Morale to attack and damage, bonus attack as per Haste (nonstacking with Haste or similar effects))

Makes a great combo if you can get them all. And the reason for keeping them at party-level? You're not outshining everyone. You're making everyone else (especially the rogue and Fighter) shine.

jiriku
2009-10-05, 05:31 PM
At low levels, wraithstrike and ice axe are great. Both turn your melee attacks into touch attacks, which helps poor-BAB builds function well until divine power comes along.

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 05:32 PM
Arcane Spellsurge?

Make friends with an Incantatrix and autoquicking of all your spells could be yours TODAY!

OMG PONIES
2009-10-05, 05:45 PM
I'm not trying to keep them from being party-level, but I've found a lot of the spells are Personal...I'm looking for some that have a fixed range. Recitation is definitely on my list, but anything that grants morale bonuses is sadly out, due to there being two undead party members in my group of 4.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-05, 05:46 PM
Prestidigitation!!!

(ok, so not worth a high-level slot, but surely available as a cheap item if your DM is nice!)

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-05, 05:57 PM
Greater Consumptive Field. Run through the streets of a large city for extra fun times.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-05, 06:01 PM
I'm not trying to keep them from being party-level, but I've found a lot of the spells are Personal...I'm looking for some that have a fixed range. Recitation is definitely on my list, but anything that grants morale bonuses is sadly out, due to there being two undead party members in my group of 4.
Which also makes the Vigor line considerably less useful (targets must be living) ... although if you hit them both with Spark of Life (Libris Mortis) prior to casting your Morale spells, they're temporarily subject to them (which, depending on DM interpertation, means they keep them all day)

Temet Nosce
2009-10-05, 08:28 PM
Brambles and Spikes (both at once) on a wooden Greatsword.

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-05, 08:34 PM
Monstrous Regeneration + Construct Essence. (as a Warforged)

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-05, 08:46 PM
Monstrous Regeneration kind of got banned in the SPC. It says to replace it with greater Vigor.

IthilanorStPete
2009-10-05, 08:48 PM
Monstrous Regeneration kind of got banned in the SPC. It says to replace it with greater Vigor.

Shh. :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2009-10-05, 09:00 PM
True Seeing.

Actually, anything that prevents you from being surprised is probably the best choice. Buffs are great too, but not being taken unawares is huge for improving your odds of survival.

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-06, 03:14 AM
necrotic empowerment: +8 to dex, int, con and natural armor, +5 on fortitude saves and 100 temporary hit points. requires divine metamagic though

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-06, 03:38 AM
Antimagic Field (if you have flight)

OMG PONIES
2009-10-06, 08:38 AM
Necrotic Empowerment is so freaking awesome I don't even care that I need an otherwise useless feat. Thanks! I already planned on DMM (persisting) some things, so I don't mind another.

Grumman
2009-10-06, 09:31 AM
Necrotic Empowerment is so freaking awesome I don't even care that I need an otherwise useless feat.
Who says it's otherwise useless? You don't need to be uber all the time, and when you're not, you can go around lobotomizing people with Necrotic Tumor.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-06, 09:37 AM
Awesome, sure...but I've just never been able to get into the fluff side of having necrotic stuff.

Grumman
2009-10-06, 10:15 AM
Awesome, sure...but I've just never been able to get into the fluff side of having necrotic stuff.
Are you familiar with the Simic Combine from Magic: the Gathering? When I played a meta-mage with the feat, I just reflavoured the necrotic stuff as using cytoplast.