PDA

View Full Version : I can has glasses nao?

RationalGoblin
2009-10-05, 05:38 PM
So yeah, I have glasses now. Apparently, I'm a bit nearsighted with a side helping of a tiny portion of astigmatism.

Everything's clearer when I have them on, and more blurry when I have them off.

Did anyone else do that thing where you nod your head up and down, just to compare what you see with the glasses on/off? Because that's what I'm doing.

And I'm guessing that staring at the computer with glasses on is not such a smart idea, so I took them off for a bit. Is this the right thing to do?

Anyways, yeah, glasses are interesting, and my family is (good-naturedly) making fun of me for having them. I'm apparently "geek boy" now. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2009-10-05, 05:54 PM
I have glasses too and don't worry your family will stop making fun of you soon enough... probably. I did the head nodding thing for quite a while sometimes I still do and I've had them for 7 years :smalltongue:. As for looking at the computer being bad I'm sure that isn't true I spend a lot of time on the computer and I've had no adverse effects.

MCerberus
2009-10-05, 06:42 PM
You'll get used to it eventually. Within a month or so you'll start forgetting you're wearing them. Self image is pretty much key, and people won't even notice the glasses. Initially, wear your set that you think looks the best.

I have the same eye condition as you. Regarding your computer, just ease up a bit from the monitor. You no longer have to be inches away from it. If I remember my optometrist, you should keep them on solid for the first few days.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-05, 06:43 PM
Pics or didn't happen.

TehSheen
2009-10-05, 06:47 PM
Glasses are just glass and metal on your face. Same thing with clothes. I mean, they are just cotton right?

thubby
2009-10-05, 07:05 PM
if you're nearsighted that means your eyes are fine with things like reading and yes working at your computer.

i didn't bob my head, i grabbed my glasses and moved them up and down. though i rarely wear mine.

cycoris
2009-10-05, 07:15 PM
if you're nearsighted that means your eyes are fine with things like reading and yes working at your computer.

Not necessarily. I'm nearsighted enough so that I can't even see my computer screen, and I have to hold books literally three inches away from my face if I want to have a chance at reading anything. :smallfrown::smallannoyed:

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-05, 07:16 PM
Not necessarily. I'm nearsighted enough so that I can't even see my computer screen, and I have to hold books literally three inches away from my face if I want to have a chance at reading anything. :smallfrown::smallannoyed:

Same here. I have glasses too, but I never wear them outside of the house. I vastly prefer contact lenses.

Flickerdart
2009-10-05, 07:31 PM
I'm fairly nearsighted, but don't wear glasses, even though I should. I have prescription sunglasses, but they're from a number of years back and don't make things completely sharp either.

Starscream
2009-10-05, 08:27 PM
I'm going to need glasses pretty soon, I think. Nearsightedness runs in my family, and while I've had 20/20 most of my life, it has gotten worse over the past year.

toasty
2009-10-05, 09:49 PM

What this person said. I'm so blind that I can't see a damn thing without my glasses.

And yes, you'll get used to them if you wear them enough. Last thing I take off at night and first thing I put on in the morning are my glasses. (I've had glasses for perhaps 10 years now).

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-05, 11:31 PM
I don't have nearsightedness but I have weirdest astigmatism ever. Seriously, some days I can't see my computer screen without glasses, other days I can see writing on the board at the other end of a 400 person auditorium like it was right in front of me.

Oh, and driving around sunset-ish hurts. Like actually hurts my eyes.

Luckily I don't usually need glasses except for looking at the board/overhead/projector in class.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 01:05 AM
So yeah, I have glasses now. Apparently, I'm a bit nearsighted with a side helping of a tiny portion of astigmatism.

Everything's clearer when I have them on, and more blurry when I have them off.

Did anyone else do that thing where you nod your head up and down, just to compare what you see with the glasses on/off? Because that's what I'm doing.

And I'm guessing that staring at the computer with glasses on is not such a smart idea, so I took them off for a bit. Is this the right thing to do?

Anyways, yeah, glasses are interesting, and my family is (good-naturedly) making fun of me for having them. I'm apparently "geek boy" now. :smalltongue:

Welcome to the club! although I wear contacts more often then my glasses. I'm pretty nearsighted, I can see shapes and whatnot, so like..I can drive and see the other cars..but I can't read far off. (or more than 4 yards away :smallwink:. I do do the glasses thing where you nod just to check.

For the computer thing...I find its easier to stare at computer with glasses than with contacts..and i've never heard it being a bad thing.
-Wrath

toasty
2009-10-06, 02:53 AM
For the computer thing...I find its easier to stare at computer with glasses than with contacts..and i've never heard it being a bad thing.
-Wrath

I'm at the computer all day long... I've never had a problem with my eyes or anything.

BooNL
2009-10-06, 02:59 AM
Glass boy here as well, for well over 15 years.

I usually wear my contacts at social events of when my girlfriend is around. If I don't, she just takes off my glasses and forces me to walk around half-blind.

I can tell you this though, contacts are terrible for (at least for me) when trying to read or use the computer. That's why I normally have my glasses on when at work. If I don't my eyes just pop in and out of focus every minute and I just can't concentrate.

And yeah, did the head-bobble thing, still do...

toasty
2009-10-06, 03:49 AM
I usually wear my contacts at social events of when my girlfriend is around. If I don't, she just takes off my glasses and forces me to walk around half-blind.

And you let her do that? You're a nicer person than me. No one no one touches my glasses except me. :smallyuk:

BooNL
2009-10-06, 03:55 AM
And you let her do that? You're a nicer person than me. No one no one touches my glasses except me. :smallyuk:

Yeah, I had to teach her not to pick up my glasses by the actual glass though. The first few months I had to clean my glasses up to three times a day!