PDA

View Full Version : Scroll activation

Cowboy_ninja
2009-10-05, 07:25 PM
So according to the rules in the DMG on activating a scroll. My lvl 1 wizard can activate a scroll with a 4th lvl spell on it if he makes a Caster Level check DC 18 ( 10+ CL of scroll +1)

am i right?

edit: the DC is actually (Scroll CL +1) so 8

Ernir
2009-10-05, 07:27 PM
Yup, you're right.

EDIT: Assuming the other requisites (ability score, spell on class spell list, scroll of the proper type) are met, anyway.
EDIT2: Yeah, durr.

Cowboy_ninja
2009-10-05, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know of any abilites/feats/ect. that will increase your CL check for purposes of scroll use beyond your HD?

edit: What about Arcane Mastery from the "Complete Arcane". I could take ten on CL checks. Meaning I can instantly cast scrolls with a CL 11. So 6th lvl spells assuming they are on my list and i have an Int/Wis/Cha of 16. Am i right?

Darrin
2009-10-05, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know of any abilites/feats/ect. that will increase your CL check for purposes of scroll use beyond your HD?

Devil's Favor in Fiendish Codex II gives you a +2 on "any attack, save, or check of any sort", including caster level checks and dispel checks. Only cost is your worthless soul, foolish mortal!

Unless you're a Hellborn.

Cowboy_ninja
2009-10-05, 09:09 PM
when you use a scroll do you use your own CL or the scroll's caster level.

And I'm still talking about the above scenario. A lvl 1 wizard using arcane mastery to take ten on a CL check to use a scroll of 6th level. Would the spell on the scroll be cast at a CL 11 or a CL 1?

ericgrau
2009-10-05, 09:11 PM
Even if you find a way it'll get expensive fast. How do you have that much wealth at level 1?

Scrolls use the scroll's caster level and save DC, assuming the minimum stat required to cast the spell. So a 4th level spell assumes int 14 for a save DC of 10+2+4=16 and most likely a caster level of 7. You can get scrolls with a higher caster level but they cost more. You can't get a lower caster level than what's needed to cast it. Scrolls cost spell level x caster level x 25 gp.

If you want a better source of more spells, try staffs. You get to use your own caster level or the staff's, whichever is higher, and your own save DCs. It's almost the same as having more spells. You're limited to 50 charges, but when you think of how many you use per encounter and how many encounters you have per session, that's a friggin' long time.

DragoonWraith
2009-10-05, 09:12 PM
All magic items are always cast at the caster level that the creator imbued it with (except staves where the caster's caster level may be substituted if it is higher).

Cowboy_ninja
2009-10-06, 10:48 AM
Cool. Thanks everyone.