PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me with my silly build!

rezplz
2009-10-05, 10:21 PM
So I had this idea that struck me as really cool, even though I knew it'd have trouble being really effective. In the most basic sense, I'm going to be dual-wielding repeating crossbows.

About the character: He's an arctic elf who is a bit of a sneaky, smug spy type (james bond) who often has to say screw it and just pump people full of bolts (rambo). And when people get close, he slices and dices with his crossbow-bayonets.

Since I need a lot of skill points for the social/spy part, I decided to go for rogue. However, this build needs feats. A LOT of feats. So I swapped out my sneak attack for bonus feats.

My DM house-ruled that I could take the changling rogue substitution level even though I'm an arctic elf (social stuff instead of trapfinding), and that rapid reload would let me let me ready a repeating crossbow with only using one hand (normall you need two), and also house-ruled up a repeating hand crossbow.

At level two, here's my stats:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=158076

STR: 8
DEX: 20
CON: 10
INT: 12
WIS: 8
CHA: 12

Feats: Urban Tracking
Point blank shot
Weapon proficiency: Hand crossbow.

Feats I still need to take:
Weapon proficiency: Repeating hand crossbow
Rapid Reload
Weapon focus: Repeating hand crossbow
Crossbow sniper
Two-weapon fighting
Rapid shot

So, the basic question is: I know this is extremely sub-optimal, so how do I make this idea more effective? For cool factor, they definitely have to be repeating hand crossbows. I definitely have to be an arctic elf. I definitely have to keep my general character theme. Everything else is open to change a bit.

Allowed books:
Complete series
Core series
Races of the [blank]
Unearthed arcana

My DM may allow specific things from other books on a case-by-case basis.

Keld Denar
2009-10-05, 11:20 PM
I'd try to get something that gives you at least 1d6 sneak attack and then nab the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin. That'll give you some decent damage. Also, Knowledge Devotion (CChamp) is pretty solid for bonus damage.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-05, 11:23 PM
You could go one level Sneak Attack Thug Fighter for SA

Akal Saris
2009-10-05, 11:38 PM
Looks like a fun idea - I made a similar character myself once, a dwarven noble (used the noble class from Dragonlance) who dual-wielded repeating heavy crossbows. He was horribly inaccurate, but it was a lot of fun =)

Here's my ideas:
- Rogue actually gets hand crossbow proficiency for free, so that's a free feat right there!

- The book 'Drow of the Underdark' has a feat called 'Hand Crossbow Focus', which gives +1 to hit and allows you to reload hand crossbows as a free action - essentially it combines Weapon Focus and Rapid Reload. If your DM allows you to take it, then you won't need Rapid Reload or EWP: Repeating Crossbow

-Don't forget Precise Shot! You'll need to to hit accurately in melee!

-You might consider using poisons if your character is CN - since you can poison each bolt beforehand, you can do stuff like shoot drow-poisoned bolts or strength-draining ones. Here's a handbook on them (shameless self-plug!): http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0

- Here's a handbook on archery in general by Eldariel, a board regular here, with a ton of good advice: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

Good luck and have fun!

PhoenixRivers
2009-10-05, 11:44 PM
I can't remember the source offhand, but crossbow sniper may be one more option for a feat. 1/2 your dex to damage.

playswithfire
2009-10-05, 11:59 PM
You could use the Targeteer fighter variant (DR310 or crystalkeep), though it doesn't translate exactly to fighter-feat-variant rogue. Probably you'd lose proficiency with the rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword in exchange for one more ranged exotic proficiency (repeating hand crossbow) and you'd use the targeteer bonus feat/ability list. That list includes the ability to add DEX to damage with ranged weapons instead of strength, but only if your strength mod is positive.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-06, 12:27 AM
Scout Class might be of interest.

Since you are going to be in close combat, you might want the Skirmish ability, plus you get good skill points. (Skirmish is the Sneak Attack for Scouts, but without needing to be sneaky)

Precise Shot is given via the class advancement, if memory serves.

Decent HD too. Saves are good, and the class gives plenty of ranged feats.

You get increased movement speed, good for retreats, or coming to someone's aid.

Only thing might be proficiencies, not sure.

Scout class is in the Complete Adventurer. Check it out.