PDA

View Full Version : Akira kurosawa's films

Ichneumon
2009-10-06, 01:19 AM
So, what do you think of his films? I've only seen a view, Seven Samurai, Yoshimbo and Rashomon, but I thought they were great.

Turcano
2009-10-06, 02:23 AM
I'm a big fan of his work. I've seen Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, Ikiru, Kagemusha, Ran, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. Having seen a lot of films from the 50s and 60s, the man was way ahead of his time.

If you liked Yojimbo, you have to, have to, have to see Sanjuro.

raitalin
2009-10-06, 02:31 AM
Loved Seven Samurai, might be the best direction in cinema history. Yojimbo and Hidden Fortress were also excellent. I could not bring myself to finish Ran, kept falling asleep.

Freshmeat
2009-10-06, 02:39 AM
He's got a number of good films and I absolutely love Rashomon and the Seven Samurai, but I find that much of his lesser-known films suffer greatly from padding.

TengYt
2009-10-06, 05:51 AM
Seven Samurai and Ran are two of my favourite films of all time.

bosssmiley
2009-10-06, 06:03 AM
So, what do you think of his films? I've only seen a view, Seven Samurai, Yoshimbo and Rashomon, but I thought they were great.

Beg/steal/borrow and watch Throne of Blood and Kagemusha if you haven't already. :smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

Kurosawa (like Totoro) is SUPERIAH!

Yora
2009-10-06, 06:21 AM
Havn't seen ANY! of them yet! :smallfrown:

But really want to. Have to get looking for them next time I'm at ebay.

Terraoblivion
2009-10-06, 06:48 AM
Kurosawa was great, at least until he grew old. His last few movies are supposedly quite bad. But up through Ran they are mostly excellent. At least the ones taking place in old Japan, not actually sure about his movies about contemporary topics as i haven't seen any of them yet. I even own most of his movies just haven't seen all of them.

Cracklord
2009-10-06, 06:56 AM
Love them all, except the first one.

Oregano
2009-10-06, 10:24 AM
Yer, I really like his films. Yojimbo is especially great in my opinion.

Ichneumon
2009-10-06, 11:24 AM
Yer, I really like his films. Yojimbo is especially great in my opinion.

I'm about it watch it again.

Comet
2009-10-06, 11:31 AM
Oh snap! You guys made me remember that I have a full Kurosawa DVD box waiting to be watched.
I've only seen Yojimbo, Seven Samurai and some parts of Hidden Fortress.

Lord Seth
2009-10-06, 11:43 AM
Throne of Blood is an excellent adaptation of one of Shakespeare's best plays.

Tiktakkat
2009-10-06, 12:25 PM
"Awesome" is an understatement of how good his movies are.

Yulian
2009-10-06, 09:21 PM
I'm a big fan of his work. I've seen Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, Rashomon, Ikiru, Kagemusha, Ran, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro. Having seen a lot of films from the 50s and 60s, the man was way ahead of his time.

If you liked Yojimbo, you have to, have to, have to see Sanjuro.

The ones listed are pretty much a perfect retrospective of his work.

He does Shakespeare incredibly well, and his lush cinematography, ultra-steady directing, and incredible ability to get everything out of his actors make him one of the greats.

- Yulian

Turcano
2009-10-07, 01:47 AM
Kurosawa was great, at least until he grew old. His last few movies are supposedly quite bad.

His last films, as I recall, were supposed to be personal meditations on various topics; in other words, he began using cinema as a very expensive hobby (better known as Quentin Tarantino Syndrome).

Closet_Skeleton
2009-10-07, 04:02 AM
Not a lot of people have seen his modern (non jidai-geki) films then?

I haven't either, but supposedly they're some of his best.

J.Gellert
2009-10-07, 09:10 AM
They showed us the Seven Samurai at school. I liked it, but I haven't seen any of the others.

Fawkes
2009-10-10, 12:26 AM
I haven't seen enough of his movies. I love love LOVE Yojimbo, though. One of my favorites. Toshiro Mifune is such a badass. :smallbiggrin:

Dervag
2009-10-10, 12:32 AM
Yeah. And he's got a range of badass. Most badass actors are always more or less the same badass, but Mifune had so much badass he could actually maintain multiple badass personas.

Fawkes
2009-10-10, 12:36 AM
Only Toshiro Mifune can tell someone his name is Mulberry and make it be awesome.

Oregano
2009-10-10, 05:33 AM
Not a lot of people have seen his modern (non jidai-geki) films then?

I haven't either, but supposedly they're some of his best.

I think Ran is the latest one I've seen, that was about 1985ish IIRC.

Terraoblivion
2009-10-10, 06:00 AM
I think he meant modern as in "takes place in modern times". Especially since Kurosawa's last movie was from the mid-nineties, which doesn't constitute modern as in recently made to me.

And you are right, Toshiro Mifune is hard to top as badasses go, but a really good actor for other aspects of his characters too.

Oregano
2009-10-10, 07:43 AM
I think he meant modern as in "takes place in modern times". Especially since Kurosawa's last movie was from the mid-nineties, which doesn't constitute modern as in recently made to me.

Oh yeah, you're right and it's completely obvious. I just waking up when I posted though so I totally misread that, in a really idiotic manner.:smallredface: