PDA

View Full Version : How to build: Shifter rogue/barbarian or similar

Zen Master
2009-10-06, 08:04 AM
Ok - here's what I want:

A versatile damage dealer that doesn't suffer from empty power point pools or similar annoying hindrances, but benefits from stealth, SA, psionic feats, and hopefully rage and shifting.

Books allowed are core, psionic (but not complete psionics), Eberron. I can get away with others - but I don't want to.

Now, versatility is often at the expense of power. So a bit less versatility with more power might be worth it.

Oh - and level is 10.

Further details: I expect to have a deep crystal blade if I have powerpoints. Half giant is an option, even tho that's not an Eberron race. Thri-kreen, however, isn't. And max one prestige class - unless there is some very obvious way to justify more than one, fluff wise.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Uin
2009-10-06, 08:17 AM
Ok - here's what I want:

A versatile damage dealer that doesn't suffer from empty power point pools or similar annoying hindrances, but benefits from stealth, SA, psionic feats, and hopefully rage and shifting.

Books allowed are core, psionic (but not complete psionics), Eberron. I can get away with others - but I don't want to.

Now, versatility is often at the expense of power. So a bit less versatility with more power might be worth it.

Oh - and level is 10.

Further details: I expect to have a deep crystal blade if I have powerpoints. Half giant is an option, even tho that's not an Eberron race. Thri-kreen, however, isn't. And max one prestige class - unless there is some very obvious way to justify more than one, fluff wise.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)There may be more Half-Giants in Eberron than any setting other than Dark Sun. Last night one of my players made a Half-Giant Psychic Warrior for our ongoing Eberron campaign.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 08:20 AM
Ok - here's what I want:

Oh - and level is 10.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Half giants roam xendric from what i understand...

As far as shifter barbarian...

I would do

rogue 2/barbarian x/that shifter prc from the ebberon book...

Good stuff there... though without ounce from compete champ you will need shifter punce from races of ebberon.

Zen Master
2009-10-06, 08:21 AM
There may be more Half-Giants in Eberron than any setting other than Dark Sun. Last night one of my players made a Half-Giant Psychic Warrior for our ongoing Eberron campaign.

Um ... ok. Really? Well I suppose Xen'Drik may be full of them, but I've not stumbled on a single reference to them anywhere.

Be that as it may - half-giants are fine, regardless.

Zen Master
2009-10-06, 08:23 AM
Half giants roam xendric from what i understand...

As far as shifter barbarian...

I would do

rogue 2/barbarian x/that shifter prc from the ebberon book...

Good stuff there... though without ounce from compete champ you will need shifter punce from races of ebberon.

You'd go for pounce, then. Hm, ok.

I have the Eberron books, but I'm unsure what shifter prestige class you mean. The Weretouched Master, perhaps?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 08:27 AM
You'd go for pounce, then. Hm, ok.

I have the Eberron books, but I'm unsure what shifter prestige class you mean. The Weretouched Master, perhaps?

Yes that one..

Also there mentioned in the xendric book. Alot.

Regardless i would take 2 rogue then 3 barb (or what ever it takes to proc were touched.)/ were touched...

Also i would try to pounce into a flanking position. or pick up umd and cast invis.

Also I belive there is an alternate class feature for shifter barbarians in races of ebberon.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-06, 08:37 AM
Can't get into weretouched master at level 6 without knowledge nature, which the Barbarian doesn't have ...

Longtooth shifter Rogue 2/barbarian 2/ranger 1/weretouched master (tiger) 4/Warmind 1 ... then on into warmind.

Just pretend weretouched master 5 doesn't exist, unless you can use the class as printed ... the 5th level in the errata is an incredibly bad capstone for a 3/4 BAB class, the writers were frankly insane. Justification for the second prestige class ... the first is over, time for a new career.

Two effective ways to fight, either with a normal two handed weapon (ignore your claws, just use your bite as a secondary attack) or with unarmed strikes (use claws and bite as secondary attacks). One ineffective way to fight ... with your claws and bite alone, I wouldn't recommend it (you can take the INA feat and Shifter Savagery, but in the end you still will be doing less damage than with a good two hander ... and have 2 less feats to spend).

PS. damn doesn't work, can't meet the Knowledge Psionics requirement of warmind ... frankly I think you want a little too much in one build anyway :)

Zen Master
2009-10-06, 10:15 AM
Can't get into weretouched master at level 6 without knowledge nature, which the Barbarian doesn't have ...

Longtooth shifter Rogue 2/barbarian 2/ranger 1/weretouched master (tiger) 4/Warmind 1 ... then on into warmind.

Just pretend weretouched master 5 doesn't exist, unless you can use the class as printed ... the 5th level in the errata is an incredibly bad capstone for a 3/4 BAB class, the writers were frankly insane. Justification for the second prestige class ... the first is over, time for a new career.

Two effective ways to fight, either with a normal two handed weapon (ignore your claws, just use your bite as a secondary attack) or with unarmed strikes (use claws and bite as secondary attacks). One ineffective way to fight ... with your claws and bite alone, I wouldn't recommend it (you can take the INA feat and Shifter Savagery, but in the end you still will be doing less damage than with a good two hander ... and have 2 less feats to spend).

PS. damn doesn't work, can't meet the Knowledge Psionics requirement of warmind ... frankly I think you want a little too much in one build anyway :)

Heh - thanks, valuable input.

I don't really need warmind tho. I'm really mostly after speed of thought, mental leap and possibly greater psionic weapon. So your build is fine without warmind.

But ... you're telling me you can bite as a secondary attack while using a 2-hander? I admit, I see nothing in the rules barring that, but ... argh, it hurts my brains trying to explain to myself how that would work :)

Maybe ... go after assasin rather than warmind? Also, how does one go about getting pounce?

PinkysBrain
2009-10-06, 11:03 AM
Weretouched master (tiger) gets pounce during shifting.

Assassin ... now that you mention it, Secrets of Sarlona has an Alternate Class Feature for Assassin to make it psionic. Perfect.

I wouldn't bother with psionic weapon though ... a couple of d6's just aren't relevant in the greater scheme of things.