PDA

View Full Version : GitP Spells Contest I: Voting Thread

The Neoclassic
2009-10-06, 08:21 AM
That time has come again! Well, actually, for this particular contest, it has come for the first time! Voting will be going until the 15th of October, and the winner will receive their very own trophy for their signature shortly afterwards.

Please vote based primarily on your personal preference, but also keep in mind the contest theme and how well the spells relate to it! If you have questions- just vote! Or ask in the discussion thread if you really must. :smallsmile: Comments should be kept in spoilers or in the discussion thread so it's easier for me to tally votes. Thanks!

{TABLE]Entry | Name | Votes
The Art of Blades | DragonElite | 0
Gris'snact the Shapetwister's | Sir Shadow | 0
Scrolls of the Black Hand | The WitchKing | 0
The Cryptkeeper's Collection | Bisected8 | 0
Steelsinger | Lv45DM! | 0
Archmage Lindle Shribben's | Kyace | 0
The Demonweb Workings | PairO'Dice Lost | 0
"Mad Science" | ZerglingOne | 0
Arcana of Aversion | Lapac | 0[/TABLE]

A few names were shortened for a more orderly table (my apologies to anyone who had a lovely & long name!). Antimagic Array by Amadi and Astronemocon by Kuma Kode were not finished and hence cannot be voted for. Sorry. :smallfrown:

Lapak
2009-10-06, 09:33 AM
My name wasn't long, but it did get changed... :smallamused:

Re-reading the entries now, I'll put in a vote shortly.

arguskos
2009-10-06, 09:46 AM
Think I'm gonna have to go with The Demonweb Workings by Pair O' Dice Lost, for the level of detail provided.

Xzoltar
2009-10-06, 12:33 PM
So much good spells in here its really hard to choose. My vote will go to

The WitchKing with The Scrolls of the Black Hand. because I really like the spells, they are quite original and also quite fitting the theme.

I also want to give a speical thanks to PairO'Dice Lost with The Demonweb Workings of Vornaun Baenre. That was well done as well with lot of thoughts and flavor, hope to see more from you. It will also be use in our next adventure, the DM will change spells from some Drow NPCs to use theses.

Lapak
2009-10-09, 10:41 AM
This was a fun contest! My vote is IN BOLD below, but I wanted to give feedback on all of them.

The Art of Blades: Nice set. Darts seems a little strong (compare to Shocking Grasp, which a touch attack that caps at 5d6.) Equip seems flavorful but a little weak; either extending the range or increasing the amount of equipment would be good for such a situational spell.

Gris'snact the Shapetwister's: I'm not sure I would use any of these, to be honest. (Maybe the Pocket.) The ability damage is really harsh if you're using these on allies; the benefits seem excessive if you're dropping them on enemies.

Scrolls of the Black Hand: Flavorful, useful, and clever. I like this set a lot. Retaliatory Stronghold is the kind of spell I'd like to see more of: extremely useful, carrying a reasonable cost, and not directly combat focused. Wizards with level 9 spells SHOULD be doing stuff that influences kingdoms.

The Cryptkeeper's Collection: Good set. I like the Binding Trap and like that it requires the material components. Belated Will has a good feel to it; it's a common idea in fantasy that wasn't covered (except through really elaborate Contingencies) before.

Steelsinger: Not a huge fan of this set. I like the idea of Immunity to Steel, but the effect seems a little weak; maybe some other mechanic than Fort saves would help because guys coming at you with steel often have good Fort saves. Spikesteel is my favorite of this set.

Archmage Lindle Shribben's: I like this set a lot. Fighting Spirit is a solid buff; Illusionary Illusion is cute and of appropriate power; Finer Things could get the caster in all kinds of trouble; Minor Disguise is an interesting trade-off for Alter Self; and SPPI fills another 'typical in fantasy, rare in D&D' hole of everyone seeing the same illusion different ways. Also, the lead-in fluff was funny. This is my second-favorite.

The Demonweb Workings: Goodness. Well-conceived, well-constructed, and deadly spells. And full of flavor to boot. I wasn't expecting to like this one so much coming into it ('oh, another Drow set') but it's my favorite of the group. Well done, and Demonweb Workings gets my vote.

"Mad Science": Probably my least favorite set. The spells in general seem really over-strong for their level (especially Meatshield, Scry'n'Die and Out With A Bang). This is probably due to trying to combine two spell school, and thus two spell effects, at once - I like that basic idea a lot, but it means that most of these spells are effectively double actions or better and the spell level should be bumped up significantly as a result from what either effect would cost alone.

The Neoclassic
2009-10-11, 10:29 PM
BUMP! :smallsmile:

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-16, 12:26 AM
You probably should have posted a link here in the discussion thread; several folks over there (myself included :smallredface:) missed that you posted this the first time around.

I also want to give a speical thanks to PairO'Dice Lost with The Demonweb Workings of Vornaun Baenre. That was well done as well with lot of thoughts and flavor, hope to see more from you. It will also be use in our next adventure, the DM will change spells from some Drow NPCs to use theses.

I'm glad you like them; let me know how they work out in play!

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-25, 04:45 PM
Sooooo...is this getting finished up anytime soon?

Lapak
2009-10-25, 05:15 PM
Sooooo...is this getting finished up anytime soon?Well, only three people have voted so far. Hopefully a few more people will vote, but it's not looking likely.

arguskos
2009-10-25, 05:19 PM
Neoclassic hasn't been on since the 13th. My guess is they got hung up with something in reality, and this just fell off the radar.