PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan as a character? 3.5 build request

AzazelSephiroth
2009-10-06, 09:05 AM
Hey all,
I know this may seem odd to request but my friends and I are playing a 'pirate' world campaign with lots of sea battles and mysterious islands. And just this last weekend it came up that one of the coolest pirates ever in our humble opinions was Capt. James Hook and of course we then began talking about his nemesis Peter Pan... sooo this eventually ended up with me wanting to try to play a peter pan esque character... vs of course Hook!:smallbiggrin:
So my fellow Gamers and entusiasts- I decided to call upon your tremendous skills and request a Peter Pan character build and a Capt. Hook build.
Any and all books are allowed including nonstandard races as well. So please any ideas would be great!
note- we also have Pathfinder (a recent purchase) so anything from that source is also allowed(although we have not fully read it yet):smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-06, 09:15 AM
Hmmm...

Warlock 6/Swashbuckler, Scout, Swordsage or Rogue 14

Why? As follows:

Warlock 6 snags you Lesser invocations, including Fell Flight. Taking Leaps and Bounds and Dark One's Own Luck as your Least invocations nets you some of Peter's flavor, while keeping you as a non-spellcaster. After that, take Leadership and Undead Leadership (snag a fairy cohort and some lost boys with Leadership, and a shadow cohort with Undead Leadership). Then stack on your Swashbuckling class of choice, possibly with a few feats to increase your land speed or flight speed.

deuxhero
2009-10-06, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't rogue 1/swashbuckler x with daring outlaw be the best for the remaining levels?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-06, 09:20 AM
Wouldn't rogue 1/swashbuckler x with daring outlaw be the best for the remaining levels?

Now that you mention it, yes, although you'd need at least Rogue 3 for the sneak attack requirement.

So Human (or maybe Elf) Warlock 6/Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 11

Important Feats: Leadership, Undead Leadership, Daring Outlaw

Important Invocations: Fell Flight

Cogwheel
2009-10-06, 09:32 AM
hideous blow might be a good pick too, invocation-wise. Peter Pan isn't known for firing lasers much, but you could put your Eldritch Blast to use regardless and hit rather hard. Up to you, really.

Alternatively, the Eldritch Blast could be flavoured as arrows, I guess. Absurdly damaging arrows fueled by demons or faeries, but still. You get the idea >_>

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 10:04 AM
I agree on the warlock count. Generally, though, hideous blow sucks hard. Just take eldritch glaive. Flavor his eldritch blast s having tink fly over and punch people in the jaw.

A real 'peter pan' would be fun to play, but an alternate take on the idea would be fun, too. Maybe tink is butch Maybe 'peter' has a sadistic side? Maybe tink is really crazy in her jealousy and plots the demise of all females on the ship? Mayber 'peter' is a lady?

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-06, 10:35 AM
My suggestions are a little fiddlier and requires GM caveat:

Either use Raptorians to represent Pan and the lost boys, meaning that Pan would have to be 11th level, while the lost boys, who rarely manage any flight at all in the versions i've seen, would be much lower level.

Another option is that Tinkerbell is actually capable of casting Fly at will, and does so on Peter, possibly treating him as a familiar for spell sharing purposes. It also works out interestingly if she get angry at him, as she is wont to do and he plummets...

Golden-Esque
2009-10-06, 12:04 PM
hideous blow might be a good pick too, invocation-wise. Peter Pan isn't known for firing lasers much, but you could put your Eldritch Blast to use regardless and hit rather hard. Up to you, really.

Alternatively, the Eldritch Blast could be flavoured as arrows, I guess. Absurdly damaging arrows fueled by demons or faeries, but still. You get the idea >_>

Fueled by Tinkerbell, of course!

And you could easily Homebrew a power that expends a use of Eldritch Blast to "fly" (as a Levitate spell) once per day. Total time equal to 1 minute per Warlock Level, maybe?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-06, 12:11 PM
And you could easily Homebrew a power that expends a use of Eldritch Blast to "fly" (as a Levitate spell) once per day. Total time equal to 1 minute per Warlock Level, maybe?

You could, but the whole purpose of the Warlock levels was to get the fell flight invocation, rendering this suggestion rather useless.

AzazelSephiroth
2009-10-06, 12:21 PM
My suggestions are a little fiddlier and requires GM caveat:

Either use Raptorians to represent Pan and the lost boys, meaning that Pan would have to be 11th level, while the lost boys, who rarely manage any flight at all in the versions i've seen, would be much lower level.

Another option is that Tinkerbell is actually capable of casting Fly at will, and does so on Peter, possibly treating him as a familiar for spell sharing purposes. It also works out interestingly if she get angry at him, as she is wont to do and he plummets...

When I saw this I laughed!:smallbiggrin: Peter as Tinkerbell's familiar-lol
However, I have not heard of raptorians... Which book are they in?

I was also thinking of making Pan a swashbuckler/dreadpirate or something similar but the flight issue was what was confusing me. Is fell flight an at will?

AzazelSephiroth
2009-10-06, 12:32 PM
Another note. Have any of you seen the newer live action movie they made? It had an interesting idea of Peter's physical and emotional state having a connection to Neverland's weather. Now that would be a rather powerful ability but I wonder what type of game mechanical flavour would qualify.

As for hook- My friend and I were considering Rogue/Dreadpirate or maybe Legendary Captain( that may be the wrong name ) from Stormwrack. With leadership, TWF Saber and Hook and some scary skills- intimidation, tumbling, balance, jump, climb!

Cogwheel
2009-10-06, 12:33 PM
However, I have not heard of raptorians... Which book are they in?

Why are you asking? Peter Pan could be a flying raptor warlock swashbuckler ninja, and you want to know more?

...Fine. Races of the Wild, I believe, but don't quote me on that :smalltongue:

AzazelSephiroth
2009-10-06, 12:37 PM
Why are you asking? Peter Pan could be a flying raptor warlock swashbuckler ninja, and you want to know more?

...Fine. Races of the Wild, I believe, but don't quote me on that :smalltongue:

Ooooooh ninjas! I never thought about that! Peter Pan and the Lost Boys are just playing Pirates vs. Ninjas over and over again with Hook and his crew.

Cogwheel
2009-10-06, 01:05 PM
I was referring more to Swordsage levels being suggested, but sure, that works too.

In summary: Flying Faerie Raptor Swashbuckler Ninja Warlock. That is all.

Jergmo
2009-10-06, 01:10 PM
Um...why would Peter Pan be level 20? Why not, say...4 Sorcerer/1 Swashbuckler?

AzazelSephiroth
2009-10-06, 01:19 PM
Um...why would Peter Pan be level 20? Why not, say...4 Sorcerer/1 Swashbuckler?

Actually yes- I was actually hoping to get a progression. I may get a chance to play this character if my current one decides to continue his habit of insulting every ship captain we come across!:smalltongue:

Mulletmanalive
2009-10-06, 01:30 PM
The familiar thing is actually a kickback from how they function under my altered magic system for Mecha Victoriana [Steampunk, mechs and War of the World]; Familiars can be anything that take a feat and are attuned to the caster and human ones aren't uncommon amongst certain factions. They bascially act as magical batteries and get a little tougher in the bargin...

If anything Peter would probably have abilities linked to either the Skytalon or Master of the Four Winds[?], both from Races of the Wild [highlighted because you missed it last time] and are Raptorian prestige classes. The latter even allows control of the weather, though its a divine class...

Maybe give that to Tink and make Peter her animal companion...Wolves have Int 6 and he can't be THAT much smarter than that!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-06, 02:53 PM
I was also thinking of making Pan a swashbuckler/dreadpirate or something similar but the flight issue was what was confusing me. Is fell flight an at will?

Fell flight is indeed an at-will.

My build is also playable from level 6 on: at level 6 you get Leadership (for Tink and the boys) and Fell Flight, allowing at will flying. You are a level 6 Warlock, which isn't perfect flavor-wise, but adding Rogue/Swashbuckler levels after that will cement the flavor. At level 9, pick up Undead Leadership, and then Daring Outlaw at the first opportunity you get.

hamishspence
2009-10-06, 02:56 PM
Fey pact? Pan is, after all, adopted by the fairies.

Or should that be Faeries? :smallamused:

Fey Warlock isn't all that far off Pan in flavour- though the immortality is a bit more powerful than the abilities warlocks get.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-06, 02:57 PM
Fey pact? Pan is, after all, adopted by the fairies.

Or should that be Faeries? :smallamused:

Fey Warlock isn't all that far off Pan in flavour- though the immortality is a bit more powerful than the abilities warlocks get.

Fey Pact? That's 4e, isn't it? The OP did specify 3.5...

hamishspence
2009-10-06, 03:02 PM
Sources that 3.5 warlocks can get their powers from include demons, devils, fey, in the original Complete Arcane class description.

They don't get different powers though- fey pact isn't quite the right term- more "Powers from the Fey"

Sometimes they get their powers from a pact, sometimes it's "in the bloodline"

Zovc
2009-10-06, 03:15 PM
Peter Pan, the (Elf/Half-Elf) ELOCATER (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm), hell yes!

Croverus
2009-10-06, 03:18 PM
Hmm.. fey blodline levels, found in Unearthed Arcana, that could really help flavor Pan and give him some nice bonuses.