PDA

View Full Version : Kalitharsis, the Scourged Sands IC

Pages : [1] 2

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 10:21 AM
OOC topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066205#post7066205)
Recruitment topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126203&page=4)
Setting details (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125723)

The city of the seven... Its great spires reaching high into the skies of Kalitharsis, an affront to the God's? No... a praise to them, a great unified effort by these foolish mortals to show that they are worthy of their God's praise, that they are deserving of the divine power once freely given to man, to show that they believe in their seven supreme powers more than any other group that sits upon the ground of these barren lifeless wastes. Fruitless? Indeed. Meaningless? Far from it. The politics of the city choke the eight district and extort those in its mid reaches. The towers epitomise this. Money spent in a struggle to build higher than any of their rivals, to show that they have the most money, the most influence, the most faith. Faith? Ha! Some of those who sit in council have less faith than those dying in the gutter. Where is the justice there hm? But justice is coming... Perhaps not today perhaps not tomorrow, but soon. There is a whispering in the wind, a stirring in the sand. The drains run red with the blood of murdered men. Something is afoot. The people don't know it yet though. A few who see the signs chose to ignore them, what could the world possibly throw at them worse than the scourging they ask? What could defeat us, we who have wethered the storm? But they have not wethered it, that was their forefathers who wethered the great scourging. These men? Only time shall tell wether they can do the same....

In The Hullathoin's Head, The Mid District of Mothril
The morning sun bursts through the windows of the otherwise dank and dreary bar. Beams of light that pierce through the grim encrusted windows and highlight the amount of sand and smoke that is in the air. A few patrons sit about the tables semi-conscious from a late nights drinking and a few new faces arrived this morning are ordering drinks for while they talk over business. The bars somewhat cumbersome name is (as the barman proudly informs you) derived from the unsightly skull that is mounted on the wall behind him. A huge and ugly thing it appears to be of some great monstrous lizard, the barman informs you otherwise claiming that it belonged to some great undead monster of legend that terrorized the land some decades back and was put to death by his grandfather. Wether ot not this is true is impossible to say for sure (you for one have never heard of such a beast before) but an impressive blade of deep crystal hangs beneath the skull (apparently the blade that felled the beast, its ability to awe is slightly diminished by the fine layer of dust settling on its surface.
The decor of the bar is mostly to a fairly low standard though it has a copper chandelier hanging from the ceiling that comes down to the level of the first floor walkway to try and and some sense of sophistication. Needless to say it fails in this task miserably.

Excluding the drunks and the businessmen there are a couple of other people of interest. In the far corner of the bar a man sits in long red hooded robes, sipping an unkown liquid from a flask and occasionally nodding to any bar patron who looks his way. Elsewhere a few men in black sit around a larger round table talking in hushed whispers and a corpulkent man in purple and gold lined robes sits by the door eying up any who enter the door with a cursory gaze. By the lone door out of the bar is a noticeboard with various pieces of paper pinned to its surface.

@Dexter Grayson
What brings Dexter to this bar on this day? the contract first. You had been hired by one Poltinus Flaxwebber to protect a caravan of his goods on the passage to the town of Sakewoth and back tomorrow morning alongside a man named Nevyn and another unnamed man of certain skills. You were to meet them at this bar but yesterday evening you recieved message that your employer has had to cancel his plans owing to certain breaches in trade laws, something to do with the transportation of dangerous creatures through a city or some such. Probably for the best. You were sent 50 gold pieces as compensation, a small fraction of the 500 gold you were expecting to get for the trip there and the other 500 for the trip back but these things are now out of your hands. Without anything to do you decided to go and meet these two men anyway and perhaps find some other job while you were at it.

But before this Dexter was drawn to the city by more curious circumstances... There is a dream. A strange recurring dream... He sees a man falling from a tower of great height towards the earth, he does not flail in despair or shout for help, he falls and he dies. You have had this dream five times now. You cannot say why. But from your description a traveller identified the city as the city of the seven. You have been unable to identify the tower as of yet but since your arrival in the city the dreams have ended. What if anything did they mean? You feel perhaps the answer lies somewhere within the city.

@Nevyn
What brings Nevyn to this bar on this day? the contract first. You had been hired by one Poltinus Flaxwebber to protect a caravan of his goods on the passage to the town of Sakewoth and back tomorrow morning alongside a man named Dexter and another unnamed man of certain skills. You were to meet them at this bar but yesterday evening you recieved message that your employer has had to cancel his plans owing to certain breaches in trade laws, something to do with the transportation of dangerous creatures through a city or some such. Probably for the best. You were sent 50 gold pieces as compensation, a small fraction of the 500 gold you were expecting to get for the trip there and the other 500 for the trip back but these things are now out of your hands. Without anything to do you decided to go and meet these two men anyway and perhaps find some other job while you were at it.

But before this, what drew him to the city... Like so many pilgrims and truth seekers Nevyn's life has brought him to the city of the seven. So far he has yet to find the answers he seeks and the city has been far from what he hoped. Yet to enter into the inner city he has been stuck in the squalor of the mid band, doing mercenary work and such to earn his keep. Hopefully that will change soon and he can start finding his answers.

@Marcelus
What brings Marcelus to this bar on this day? the contract first. You had been hired by one Poltinus Flaxwebber to protect a caravan of his goods on the passage to the town of Sakewoth and back tomorrow morning alongside a man named Nevyn and Dexter. You were to meet them at this bar but yesterday evening you recieved message that your employer has had to cancel his plans owing to certain breaches in trade laws, something to do with the transportation of dangerous creatures through a city or some such. Probably for the best. You were sent 50 gold pieces as compensation, a small fraction of the 500 gold you were expecting to get for the trip there and the other 500 for the trip back but these things are now out of your hands. Without anything to do you decided to go and meet these two men anyway and perhaps find some other job while you were at it.

But before this what drew him here? The promise of power and revenge. The overthrowing of the city elders and of the Seven's rule over these lands are a prime motivator for Marcelus. He is yet to find a promising lead on any weapon against him though bar a brief contacxt with similar aims who went by the name of Kalik. In his letters he has mentioned a few leads he has come across in his excavations of the desert and has asured you that his latest find is the big onebut if time has taught you anyting this is likely to be another spectacular faliure on his part. You begin to feel perhaps it was time to take thing into your own hands...

You may post

Trobby
2009-10-06, 11:57 AM
"This is, by far, the worst contract I've ever had."

Dexter grumbled as the bartender slid him a drink. An entire tankard of mead stood before him, next to a half-eaten breakfast. He was incredibly small for a fighter, just under 5 and a half feet tall, half-wrapped in his armor with a helmet at his side and a huge flail strapped onto his back. His bronzed head glistened against the sun as he tasted the fresh mead. At least that was good. Four hundred and fifty gold gone, but at least he had enough for room and board.

"And don't get me wrong, I mean it's not like I don't live for this stuff. But I mean, you'd think for fighting off five bandits, I'd get something a little better than ten percent, don'cha think?"

Dexter shook his head.

"Nah, you wouldn't know...good mead though. You run a fine establishment. Might stay here a second time, even. You burnt my eggs, though."

Firebeard
2009-10-06, 12:27 PM
Nevyn

The Runed Man listened to the warrior - what was his name again? Dexter? - grumble about the canceled contract. Personally, he didn't care one way or the other. He had gold to get him through for a while, as he continued to search the City for the answers he sought. What was this power he had come into? how could he harness it further?

As time went by, he could feel the power in his head surging and ebbing. And with it came the rage and loathing. He needed to find someone to talk to about this before it tore him apart from the inside. He needed to find something to cleanse the foulness he felt within. He needed...some breakfast.

Signaling to the serving wench, he ordered a light meal. "Some fruit lass, if you have any fresh, a couple of eggs and a rasher of bacon". Perhaps once he was done eating, he and the other 2 could find something to do. On instinct, he gently grabbed the wrist of the serving girl to keep her from leaving. "Do you know of someone who would know about powers of the mind?"

HereticNox
2009-10-06, 12:38 PM
The beaten doors swing open, and a man strides into the deary establishment. A mop of black hair crowns the top of the strangers head. Sitting on his nose is a pair of copper spectacles, acting as windows to the steel gray eyes beneath. They frame his features nicely, or maybe it is the natural grace of his face with the spectacles serving as a beacon. He wears a simple cloak, an effort to keep the blasted sand of his person. Beneath it sits a simple tan shirt, matching the pants he wears. Similar his features, the man gracefully crosses the dirty floor. A brief flash of his arms in the swishing of his cloak show a solid physique. His face seems blank and he appears to be deep in thought, as he sits down at the bar.
I needed the gold...A substantial stock of gold would be very helpful. The less I'm seen in public the better. Why have my plans failed, I'm no closer now than I have been since the beginning. Failure seems to be my only companion...I tire of those towers, those symbols of oppression, of hypocrisy, of Gods who have died or abandon us. As long as those towers stand, people will never be free...Maniupulation hasn't been effective, perhaps it is time for a more direct approach. Kalik brings interesting news, but I should be wary. He has proved to be unreliable in the past. Though his letter sounded sincere.
He contemplates a moment, before he hastily says "Let me get a nice mead Barkeep," Hearing the man's complaint about the eggs, "and a small loaf of bread and some cheese please." He fishes around briefly in his cloak producing two gold pieces, which he slides across the table to the barman.

His eyes glance sideways at the man next to him, he briefly observes the man's face. He turns his head, and he voices "Would you perhaps be Dexter? I believe we were to be coworkers, I'm Marecelus." He briefly waves his hand in a exasperated manner.

Speaking at the same time as the other man, He repeats himself when the chance arrises adding, "You must Nevyn then, a pleasure to meet you both. It seems we are out of a job gentlemen, perhaps if we offer ourselves together people would be more inclined to hire us."

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 12:40 PM
Ignore the remark about the eggs the barman turns and shouts across to nevyn. "Oi! Leave her be mate. If its powers of the mind your lookin for you needn't go far. All sorts of mind pushers an thought readers an stuff round these parts." "Psions" corrects the man in red in an audible monotone voice.
"Errrr yeah psions" visuably unsettled the barman begins polishing up a tankard not realising it to be the one he had just finished a minute ago. He then walks down to the other end of the bar and starts chatting to a couple of the drunks about them having work to get to or homes to go back to.

Though not initially noticed you realise the bar had fallen into a sudden hush, only realising the absence of sound upon its return as the bar patrons all get back to whatever they were talking to, the exact point of the hush beginning is unclear.

HereticNox
2009-10-06, 12:43 PM
Marcelus is lucky enough to posses a keen sense for social situations. He briefly evalutes the silence that fills the room.

Taking 10 on a sense motive check for the room

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 12:49 PM
Marcelus looks about the room evaluating the various parties and peoples present. By the door presumably a business man of some sorts. The group in black? Thieves, murderers, smugglers, card players? Their precise role eludes you but evidently they are up to no good or up to something that requires some form of secrecy. As for the man in red...who knows? He is an enigma of sorts sat quietly in the corner apparently listening to everything around him but giving no emotion, his face hidden under his hood. The barman seems scared or worried about him. The patrons are clearly drunk, only a master criminal could get away with pretending to be that drunk (the smell also aids in this impression as does the row of bottles)

HereticNox
2009-10-06, 12:53 PM
Marecelus eyes drift over to the man in red, his face betrays no emotion. Though if the man could see inside Marcelus' mind, which he very well could be doing, he would see a growing concern.
That man is strange...His body language, it doesn't betray anything. Unnerving...I might as well try to see how the wall behind him feels...Best to avoid him if possible

Trobby
2009-10-06, 01:53 PM
"...hey, I think maybe you should keep down the whole "Psion" thing, friend." Dexter whispered to Nyven under the hush of the crowd. "Seems to me like it might call some unwanted attention your way."

He had, of course, heard about Psions, but knew little about them. He had completely misinterpreted the crowd, assuming that the word "Psion" was the focus of the sudden hush, rather than the sudden entrance of newcomers. As far as he was concerned, they were unremarkable gentlemen.

I remember him...He thought to himself, while trying to stomach another bite or two of burnt eggs. But turned to Marecelus for a moment, since he seemed to be expecting an answer. Yeah, we worked together. What of it?

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 02:33 PM
The barkeep comes back with Marecelus bread, cheese and mead. Leaning close to him he talks in a hushed voice just loud enough for the other two to hear. "That'll be 2 silver fer the lot if you please. I'd be careful of that one if I were you. Been round here a few days now, not doing much, ordering water from time to time... Ummm...errrr... Clouds are coming in, looks like it may rain down upon us some day soon?" these words seem strange both in their refrence to rain (a rarity, especially at this time of year) and in that they sound as though they are worded as a question. The barman steps back slightly waiting on his pay.

Trobby
2009-10-06, 02:37 PM
"...What are you talking about, you daft old man?" Dexter shrugged, sliding the money towards the man. "I really doubt it will rain anytime soon."

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 04:24 PM
The barman moves about a bit upon his feet, staring awkwardly at the door to district attention from his own embarasment.

@Zanaver
You have arrived at the city of the seven. A city of great promises, often unfulfilled. Many souls here are lost and in doubt of their faith, it is a perfect place to recruit for your cause and the mysteries surrounding the city may well aid you in seeking your own answers to the great question of what lies over the edge. but that is in the future. In the present you are in dire need of a job to sustain yourself. You stand at the door to a grimy bar called the Hullathoin's Head. Inside are a number of odd sorts, surely an adventurer such as yourself can find work here? OOC: Introduce your character (description) as you enter the bar

Ragnoth
2009-10-06, 05:07 PM
a Tall Figure completly concealed in a long brown cloak steps through the door into the Bar, he stops at the entrance and gazes round the room, finally he walks towards an empty table near a group of three travellers and sits down, as he does he pulls back his hood showing the face of a middle aged man with no trace of hair anywhere upon his face. His dark brown eyes dart around the room a look of deep thought within them. He finally relaxes he lifts his arm slightly.

"Oi barkeep, bring me some ale, I'm in dire need of a good drink."

He then gazes over to the three travellers and leans slightly towards them the cloak opens up slightly to show a white shirt hidden underneath.

"you seem like a smart bunch of people, what news is there of this area, know anywhere a willing traveller could find some paying work?"

After saying this he continues to stare straight into the eyes of the nearest of the three.

(OOC: I take they are sat at a table and if not i will be at the table nearest them, if thats ok)

Firebeard
2009-10-06, 05:17 PM
Nevyn

Nevyn looked at the man known as Marcelus and gives a brief nod. "Together 3 can often find work where 1 alone would not."

Perhaps I should talk to that red robed man. He seems to know about psionics, and I would know why the others seem to fear him so. Making up his mind, he pushed to his feet and began to walk towards the man in red.

Jair Barik
2009-10-06, 05:33 PM
As Nevyn walks towards the man the chair opposite him jerks outwards seemingly in anticipation of the new arrival to the table. The red hooded man gestures with his hand towards the chair and nods.

Firebeard
2009-10-06, 06:40 PM
Nevyn

One eyebrow arched to the sky as the chair moved away from the table, seemingly of it's own accord. "That's a nice trick. I imagine it comes in handy when you are with your lady. It seems apparent that you are indeed one with some of the answers I seek."

Nevyn accepted the chair and stared into the hood of the man across from him. The eyes were difficult to read, but Nevyn got the sense of great power...the trick with he chair was obviously just that, a trick.

I imagine that he has many of the answers to my questions, but at what cost knowledge? I have lost too much of myself already to give more to this red ...priest? demon? pupil? His mouth twitched in a slight smile at the thought of this man in red sitting at a desk in a classroom, while a teacher droned on and on about the worthiness of the gods.

"I am looking for one who can teach me something about powers of the mind. What they mean, where they come from, and what exactly can be done with them. And maybe most importantly...how to make these damn headaches go away."

Trobby
2009-10-06, 06:41 PM
"Just got into town ourselves, stranger." Dexter replied to the newcomer. "Tell you what, you give me your story, I'll share mine. How's that sound?"

HereticNox
2009-10-06, 07:47 PM
"Indeed what brings you to the city of the seven", Marcelus smiles in a friendly fashion. Raising his glass, Marcelus takes a sip, a small sigh of relief escaping from his dry throat. Between sips Marcelus says,"Why don't you let me get you a drink. I think a mug of ale is a fair trade for a tale." Though his eyes focus on the back of Nevyn head, carefully he watches their conversation unfold.

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 02:19 AM
The man speaks in a low monotone, his head bowed forward slightly so that no part of his face bar his mouth can be seen. "You seek knowledge of Psionics? You have come to the wrong place friend. better places than the city. But I could help, possibly, for a price." his hand slips off of the table and falls towards his side moving between the folds of his robes. It appears he is about to draw something out from under them.

Firebeard
2009-10-07, 07:21 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn watches the man across from him intently. He didn't expect knowledge for nothing, but something in the man's demeanor and mode of speech raised the hairs on the back of the monk's neck. Power was here all right, but of what sort?

"I'm listening", he replied.

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 08:08 AM
With an audible clinking that drew silence from the tavern the man pulled out a bag from under his cloak and placed it on the table with a loud jangling thud. For a few seconds there was silence then the tavern resumed its background noise. "Lost something of mine down a drain. A ring. Not magical, no monetary value, seemply sentimental. Want it back. Eight hundred up front for you and your friends to go get it for me. Want power? This is where we start." the man pushes the bag across the table towards Nevyn. It is clearly filled with something that bulges in the way you know money does. The bag itself appears somewhat unremarkable.

HereticNox
2009-10-07, 08:29 AM
Marecelus cuts the bread into equal portion, and handing a portion out to the two men on his sides. He breaks his portion up, and slowly begins to eat. At the sound of jingling, Marcelus watches the situation across the room. Now why would that man have so much gold with him...He either is very foolish or confident that no one could steal it. Most likely the latter I suppose...

Firebeard
2009-10-07, 08:34 AM
Nevyn

Do I want power? I want to know what I have become, but do I crave more of it or less? Nevyn remembered the night he left the bandits to the demons. The power he felt as he stole away from their camp. The soul crushing misery of the realization afterwards.

Power or no, the money being offered would go a long way towards funding his search, and the man in red seemed to know more than he was saying.

Sense motive check to determine if there is anything about the man in red that Nevyn can pick up.
[roll0]

"I'll bring it up with the others. You understand that I have no influence on their decisions...but I will ask." With that, Nevyn rose and returned to the table where the others were finishing their breakfast.

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 08:48 AM
The man gives nothing away. he is a complete enigma. As you walk away from him back towards your new aquaintances he pulls a small dagger from his robes and cuts a hole in the side of the bag. A few coins begin spilling through it onto the table. They are not gold, but platinum.

Trobby
2009-10-07, 09:14 AM
"Well, what did your red-hooded friend have to say?" Dexter asked, his eyes drifting over to the table, blinking a few times, and looking back at Nevyn. "If those are silver pieces, tell him it's not nearly enough. If that's platinum, ask him when he wants it done."

HereticNox
2009-10-07, 09:39 AM
"Pantinum pieces could they possibly be real" Marcelus picks up a piece of the sliver material, and examines it closely.

Detect Magic on the coins
and an appraise check [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 09:50 AM
Picking up the piece and casting his spell Marcelus is positive that these are the real deal. From underneath his robes the man warns him off from the table "I've counted them out. If any go missing before you accept this job things will end poorly, I assure you of that."

HereticNox
2009-10-07, 10:01 AM
Marcelus eyes the man, focusing on his image. His voice sounds sharp as he says, "I don't take what I don't rightly deserve." To himself he adds, That responsibility belongs to the church...This is the start of everything Marcelus gentle turns the coin with his fingers. Suddenly he flips it up and catches it in his hand. "I say we take it gentlemen, Fortune has fallen into our laps."

No detect magic on him, he might blast me through the wall.
I also only have one level in rogue thank you,

Trobby
2009-10-07, 10:20 AM
Note: Pardon the edit.

"...So, all the platinum in that bag, split between the four of us, up front?" Dexter asked, trying not to show his eagerness. "...Okay, you'll have to bring us up to speed on this. What, exactly, is worth that much platinum to you?"

Ragnoth
2009-10-07, 01:09 PM
OOC: sorry for the wait

The man looks behind him and then moves in slightly closer.

"Very well you you look trustworthy, i am Zanaver Wilros i have travelled a long distace looking for people to join my cause but i am lacking in gold and cannot proceed with my plans till i can find some, also as you seem willing to help me i will tell you now that i am
He pauses and gives a quick glance around the room

"A psion"

He says the last part much quieter than the rest and then leans back into his seat once again checking around the room.

Search [roll0]
and spot [roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 01:28 PM
Zanaver looks round the room and sees much the same as everyone else saw. A noticeboard by the door, a sword above the bar, a barman rousing his customers and the various other patrons. Looking up he sees that the bar has a total of three floors (or at least three immediatley obvious floors) the ground floor consisting of the bar and a door behind it plus a staircase that leads up to a walkway above. Several doors branch off of this walkway most likely to rooms as this tavern is also an inn. A second stairway leads up from the walkway to another floor much the same as the one below it. As his vision follows upwards he notices what appears to be a large collection of throwing stars suspended from a series of wires about the chain of the chandalier.

The man turns towards Dexter and resumes his monotone. "Already told your friend. One ring. Dropped it down a sewage grate onutside Azbars Alchemical supplies. Have it on good authority that section will be unguarded today but don't want to go getting my boots muddy. Grates locked but theres a second grate behind the store thats had its lock busted. Use that one and fetch my ring. All there is to it."

Ragnoth
2009-10-07, 01:45 PM
As Zanaver hears what the man in red says he suddenly looks interested.

"I couldn't help but hear you have some work if it is ok with you three i would be very intrested in helping in any way possible despite the seemingly simple job description."

He leans forward as he says this a smile apears across his face as an attempt to make himself look more friendly.

HereticNox
2009-10-07, 01:51 PM
Marcelus pointedly ignores the psion portion of this man's statement. Unrequired distinction perpetuated by the Church, different names for the same power the power to change. Though Marecelus is obviously intrigue by another portion of the man's statement, "A cause can be a powerful thing. One could almost call it..." After a quick reflection on his own purpos, "An obsession.".

To the red clothed man's question, Marecelus leans back in his chair. "I believe mud will be the least of our problems." he states with a certain amount of sarcasm. His eyes close briefly as Marecelus tries to remember anything he had heard about the sewers

[roll0] knowledge local about the sewers, and possibly the area where the shop is located (like what district)

Jair Barik
2009-10-07, 02:01 PM
Recalling what he knows Marcelus remembers that the city is built on a system of sewers. These have some security in the form of various constructs and creatures but according to the man these are not present in the relevant section today.

Trobby
2009-10-07, 09:37 PM
"Sewer work... mused Dexter, with the kind of tone one would have towards...well, working in the sewers. "Not where I usually go, but I've been through worse...Really though, could you describe the ring for us? Might help us find it and such."

And maybe explain to us why you need a damn ring so badly. Eight hundred platinum...damn, I'd sell my whole pack for that much.

Jair Barik
2009-10-08, 02:47 AM
"Plain copper ring with a single amethyst inlaid into it. Amethyst has some details carved into it, wont say what in case you think of trying to make a replica of it."

Firebeard
2009-10-08, 01:22 PM
Nevyn

"It appears that my companions are all agreed that this ring of yours should be found, and that we shall be the ones to find it. We accept your...generous...recompense as well."

If there is anything else you would tell us, now is the time. If not, shall we be off?

That said, the Runed Man turns to his erstwhile companions and raises an eyebrow in query.

Trobby
2009-10-08, 01:40 PM
"Just let me grab my things." Dexter stepped away, heading up to the room he had rented out to grab his pack and supplies. He'd need them to delve into the sewers.

HereticNox
2009-10-08, 02:11 PM
Marecelus feels around inside his coat, making sure all his tools are in place for the excursion ahead.

Ragnoth
2009-10-08, 02:22 PM
Zanaver stands up while also placing his hood back on his head. He takes a large staff that has been hangigng from hi back hits the end on the floor.

"well then what are we waiting for lets get moving"

as he says this you can just see a large grin form under his hood, he then turns and heads for the door.

Jair Barik
2009-10-08, 02:31 PM
"Remember your coins gentlemen" says the man in red. "Can't have just anyone taking them..."

Firebeard
2009-10-08, 03:00 PM
Nevyn

Nevyn scooped up the bag, thrusting it deep into the pack sitting at his feet. He had no immediate need for the coins, but counting them out here in the common area was an idiotic idea. "We'll divvy them up later...in a more private location."

Looking at Zanaver, the Runed Man says "I think you and I should have a little talk as we walk. It appears that you know things I am interested in." The badly scarred and tattooed skin of his bald head flushes slightly as his excitement mounts. There would be blood spilled soon, or he was a milk-white merchant. Blood spilled, and possibly information to be gained.

Trobby
2009-10-08, 03:06 PM
"Right! I was just getting to that." Dexter said as he came rushing down with his backpack half-flung over his shoulders.

"Now, I was thinking we could..." He paused, and briefly looked around the room. "Where did that guy in the brown cloak go?" He asked, referring to Zanaver. "Ah, nevermind. You ready, Nevyn?"

Jair Barik
2009-10-09, 12:32 PM
Outside the street is dirty, the sand having absorbed various stains that contribute to its overall filth though none of these are now individually recognisable. A pair of guards walk pass on patrol and various street merchants and performers prepare for their days work. The city is not yet in full swing and so there is a brief respite from the noises of night and day. The alchemical supplies shop is about ten buildings down to your left on the opposite side of the road. You remember passing it on the way here, its brightly coloured signs and promises of low prices making it stand out from an otherwise drab and colourless street.

Trobby
2009-10-09, 12:45 PM
"So, Nevyn...need anything before we descend into the sewers?" Dexter asked as the Alchemist's Shop came into view. "Got your own light source? It's bound to be dark down there."

Firebeard
2009-10-09, 12:53 PM
"There's some torches in my pack, but it might not be a bad idea to look for a less...volatile...source of light." The Runed Man led the others into the Alchemist's shop and then stared in wonder at all the colored glass vials lining the shelves and walls. There was nothing like this in Hope Valley, and the desert nomads he grew up with had nothing of the like either.

Jair Barik
2009-10-09, 01:26 PM
As Nevyn enters the shop he sees numerous vials and appartus lining the walls alongside a number of questionable objects hung from the ceiling. A small bell rings as the door brushes beneath it but the sole occupant of the shop appears not to hear this as he is engrossed in some very loud work. The vials on the walls vary from simple components for alchemical experiments to ready made potions and concoctions, several bubbling in their bottles and a number marked with skulls. From the ceiling hangs a large bronze serpent that takes up most of the roof space alongside pieces of clockwork. On the uppermost shelves next to this are a variety of skulls and stuffed animals. The shopkeep himself (or at least the shops sole occupant) is a small lizard like man hunched over the combination shop counter and work bench his back facing you, working on some strange clockwork construction with a studious eye.

Trobby
2009-10-09, 01:27 PM
"The way I see it, we should each carry at least two sunrods with us." Dexter began, picking out the proper item right away. "I've already got two, but I should probably carry a third one, just in case. You think the others will be prepared with their own?"

He began handing a few of them to Nevyn, six rods. More than enough to get them through the sewers.

"They're about 2 gold each, so we should have plenty to cover the expense. That, and we can find out if our employer's platinum is genuine. An alchemist ought to know right off the bat if we've got phony metal."

Firebeard
2009-10-09, 01:54 PM
Nevyn

"A few potions or wands of healing might not go amiss either. I don't plan on getting hit, but I can't say the same for the rest of you." Nevyn grinned a bit. He was actually enjoying himself for a change. It had been a long time since his last kujin yah - the fighting dance - and he was sure that he was about to get some much needed practice.

Jair Barik
2009-10-09, 02:16 PM
Hearing you speaking behind him the Lizard turns around to face you all. "Ah guests! Welcome, welcome. Good business today yes? You adventurers right, right? Nah don't answer that Azbar knows these things. It in your equipment and stuff it is eh? Nah don't answer that either Azbar go get some of the good stuff for you eh, eh? None of da rubbish for selling to tha love sick young men and women who think a little potion will set them straight eh?" the little lizard person speaks fast with a flicking tongue interrupting anybody who tries to break his speach and rubbing his hands together with his tail flicking behind him. He has a black crest and darkgreen scales and wears a leather tunic and goggles. In one hand he has a set of pliers which he puts down on his bench as he addresses you. No sooner has he stopped speaking he walks out of a door behind his desk and goes into the backroom of his building. Calling out from this he addresses you a second time. "Lots of good stuff eh? Don't touch anythink while I back here eh? Tha best stuff is all out but I'm expecting a shippment in from Dardan any minute know eh? He late again as usual!"

Trobby
2009-10-09, 02:26 PM
As soon as the lizard man left, Dexter spoke to Nevyn.

"...Er...I've got a supply of potions for myself, but I don't really know how to use a wand." Dexter admitted, just a little sheepishly. "Besides just poke it at whatever and maybe it turns into a frog. Er...do you know how to use one?"

Ragnoth
2009-10-09, 04:21 PM
The door to the alchemists swings open and Zanaver who had been missing for some time strides in, his hood is now down and a look of confusion is on his face, as he spots the rest of the party a smile appears.

"So this is where you got to, sorry i got a bit carried away and went off without you, i realised however i haven't got a clue about this city, anyway whats going on? why the hold up?"

then without waiting for an answer he suddenly begins to take in his surroundings and gazes in wonder at the various objects within, 1 or 2 ooh's and whats this are heard but he seems to have completly forgotten about what he was just saying.

Jair Barik
2009-10-09, 04:35 PM
You can hear the sound of Azbar rummaging around in his backroom for a little while and then you notice the object upon the table twitch. It appears to be a metallic bug of some sort turned upon its back and tied down to the table with a series of thick cables. A box is over what you assume to be its head and its underbelly seems to have been prised open revealing a series of gears that spin about beneath. At this moment Azbar calls through from the backroom "Anything in particular you are looking for eh? See anything that takes yer fancy or would you be more interested in some unstable alchemicals per chance?"

Trobby
2009-10-09, 04:41 PM
"You handle the purchases, Nevyn. You know what we need." Dexter eventually added. "I'm sure that one of the four of us ought to know how to use a wand. I'll take Zan there out back and wait for you. Shouldn't be too hard to find the entrance."

With that, Dexter gently tapped Zanaver on the shoulder. "Nevyn will take care of the purchases. We're just getting a few supplies anyway. Come on with me and let's take a look at where we've got to go." He'd begin guiding the way and, assuming Zanaver followed, would lead him to the back of the shop to scout out their sewer entrance.

Jair Barik
2009-10-09, 04:56 PM
Walking round the back of the building you come into a dark alley. Following it round you come to the rear of the building where a pool of multicoloured goo drains slowly into an open manhole, the cover lying propped up against the wall. There appears to be no back entrance to the shop from here but there is a pipe protruding from one wall out of which the goo slowly drains.

Noxious odours drift up from the sewer clouding your sense of smell and causing you to recoil slightly. A large green eye with teeth instead of eyelashes appears to have been painted onto the underside of the manhole cover and an open box of torches lies next to a pile of otherwise useless garbage thrown into the alley from neighbouring buildings.

Ragnoth
2009-10-09, 04:58 PM
As zanaver is tapped on the shoulder he turns and looks at Dexter, he briefly looks confused but as dexter began to walk away he suddenly snapped back.

"oh right yes of course"

A big smile forms on his face and quickly strides after Dexter

"so any idea how we're gonna go about this? The man in red said it was safe Right? i wonder whats so important about this ring, ah well nevermind as long as there isn't too much trouble, although i wouldn't mind a fight it's been a while, i wonder what the....."

He continues in this fashion for some while till they finally reach the sewer , there he stops and gazes down at the manhole and once again drifts in to deep thought.

Trobby
2009-10-09, 07:12 PM
..."Look, when we get down there, there might be some...creatures in the sewers and...well...how about you keep an eye on our backs, alright? You seem like a pretty alert kind of guy."And meanwhile, I'll be up front, NOT drawing the attention of everything in the world Once they reached the manhole, Dexter took a brief look around, found himself a sturdy crate on a nearby pallet, hopped up, and sat down on top of it, setting his pack against a nearby crate, his back against a wall, and his feet up on another crate in front of him. "Now we wait for our friends to arrive. Shouldn't be too long."

Firebeard
2009-10-09, 09:15 PM
Nevyn

"Sunrods, if you have any. And a flask of oil. I know you are an alchemists shop, but if you have any bone needles and some dark blue or black ink, I'll take some of that as well. I have a feeling that I might be earning a few more runes this day." The runic tattoos covering his body left the lizard man in no doubt what he wanted the ink and needle for.

Nevyn looked around the shop to see if there was anything else that he might be interested in.

"Oh, and a few healing potions and maybe a healing wand or two if you have some."

As he walked around the shelves Nevyn saw a small box of blue-white lumps. "I'll take some of this chalk too. You never know when it might come in handy."

Jair Barik
2009-10-10, 03:55 AM
Azbar comes back through with a box of assorted items. He then picks up a number of other items from his shelves and adds them to the box and quickly counts some numbers to himself. "Sooooo lets see then eh? I give you ten sunrods with a ten percent discount... just cause I like you eh? How much chalk that? 3 pieces ya? Some oil, one flask... and potions hmmm there we go 8 of those for good luck eh? and I throw in some Nerv for free. Lets see now... 527 gold, 1 silver and 3 coppers, the bag is free." Azbar has put a bottle of oil, ten sticks, ten bottles of a greenish blue liquid, four bottle os a gold liquid and the three pieces of chalk into a sack which he now places on the table next to the strange mechanical contraption.

Firebeard
2009-10-10, 06:46 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn reached into his pack and by feel found the sack containing their payment for this job. Without removing the sack, he pulled out 6 of the fat platinum coins and set them on the counter next tot he sack of goods.

"Thank you good sir," he said hoping that the coins were truly as they appeared. Why in the world would he pay us that much for a simple ring retrieval?

Trobby
2009-10-10, 10:30 AM
I hope Nevyn does alright with buying our supplies. That shop keeper seems a little...eccentric.

Jair Barik
2009-10-10, 10:35 AM
Azbar casts a cursory gaze over the first few coins swiviling something that appears to be a small magnifying glass over the front of his goggles to inspect them. Satisfied with what he sees he takes 53 of the coins and gives nevyn 2 gold pieces, 8 silver pieces and 7 copper pieces in return. "So eh? Wheres a guy go round picking up that sort of walking money hmm? You looking for trouble or looking for something more, how shall I say this... special? Cause dealing in certain artifacts is seen as illegal and any trader worth his salt in that sort of thing would need some form of incentive to even talk about such... eheh... antiquities..." Azbar throws a sheet over the thing on his table and puts the money behind his desk.

Firebeard
2009-10-10, 01:33 PM
Nevyn

"It is dangerous to ask certain questions Alchemist. Let us just say that my companions and I are...good at what we do." Nevyn stared intently at the little shopkeeper, trying to see what the fellow was really after. After a moment, he simply said "You mentioned that you tossed in some 'Nerv' for free. I am not familiar with that term. What is it?"

Jair Barik
2009-10-10, 01:42 PM
Azbar laughs bordering on a cackle "Nerv! Nerv for making you brave and hardy yeah? Nerv is liquid bravery. Drink it up and you be stronger, harder to scare! Useful if you ever going to... Ah! but i say too much, you said you not interested in that sort of thing hmm? Nah you drink nerve if you ever being going ta fight brain muddlers, ever going to be mangling with mummies or if you be going dragon huntin! Also if you just a coward at heart but eh I don't care." Azbar opens up a crate in the wall and pulls out a few gears and a small hand drill. he takes these objects back over to his desk and sits back down.

Ragnoth
2009-10-11, 10:50 AM
Zanaver glances up at dexter and smiles

"well if you have nothing else to do we might aswell get down there"

And with that he moves towards the manhole has a quick glance down and lowers himself in.

spot 1d20+9
search 1d20+8

Jair Barik
2009-10-11, 11:45 AM
Zanaver prepares to descend into the darkness but then realises there is a ladder leading into the hole. It starts about a foot into the hole and so would be inaccesible if the lid were to be replaced. The presence of these first few rungs descending into the darkness imply that the hole may be deeper than would be sensible to jump down.

Trobby
2009-10-11, 02:06 PM
And before he can do that anyway, Dexter hops from his seat and hoists him up by the shoulder.

"Dear gods, man. You make me look like a poster boy for patience. Look, no matter how much you may enjoy trouncing about in the sewers, we have no idea what's down there. Could be nothing, could be a swarm of rats or worse. For two hundred platinum, I'm willing to risk it. But we should at LEAST wait for the guy with all our supplies to finish up before we go trouncing about down there."

Firebeard
2009-10-11, 02:29 PM
Nevyn

"Thank you for the supplies. If we need more supplies later on, I am sure you will see our custom once more." With that, Nevyn nodded to the shopkeeper and set out.

As he turned the corner around the back of the shop, he saw Dexter grabbing the "psion" and keeping him from rashly diving into the hole. "I got us a little bit of everything...health potions, sunrods, a piece of chalk for each of us...and the shopkeeper threw in some of this." He held up the flask of gold liquid and peered through it. "It's some kind of liquid courage. Anyways, there's enough here for each of us to have a bottle."

Nevyn began passing out the potions as Marcelus walked into view. "Marcelus, come get your share." Nevyn gave each person a piece of chalk, 2 sunrods, 2 healing potions, and a bottle of Nerv. In addition, everyone received 190 platinum pieces - the advance money less the cost of the supplies, evenly divided.

"If everyone is ready then, shall we away?"

Ragnoth
2009-10-11, 03:53 PM
A zanaver is grabbed by Dexter a look of annoyance flickers on his face but as Dexter explains his reasoning a smile quickly returns.

oh right of course sorry about that ok just very intrigued by the entire situation

He waits with Dexter till Nevyn and Marcelus arrive and takes his share.

thank you Nevyn now we can get going

And once again he heads back to the manhole but this time just sits with his legs dangling inside waiting to see how the others will react.

Trobby
2009-10-13, 09:15 AM
"Er...what happened to that other guy? Marsala, or something like that." Dexter looked down at the eager Zanaver, feeling a little apprehensive about his "group". "...Eh...three of us should be enough for whatever we're doing down there. At least, I hope so. Let's go.

Sliding feet-first into the hole, using the ladder as a foothold and the other side of the manhole as a brace, then grabbing the rungs and climbing down into the sewer.

Jair Barik
2009-10-13, 09:35 AM
The handholds of the ladder were slimey and filthy with dirt, though not so much that they hindered its climbing. Descending into the darkness you travel down into the ground what must have been a good 50ft or so before finally hitting ground. Water laps around your feet and the air is humid and vile. You feel a slight sense of claustrophobia acutely aware that the walls are close by though in the darkness you cannot see them.

Firebeard
2009-10-13, 09:42 AM
Nevyn

As he climbed down the ladder, Nevyn reached into his pack and pulled out a sunrod. With a flick of his wrist, he activated it, shedding a pool of light around the group. Looking down, he saw Zanaver and Dexter reach the ...ground. Looking above, he saw Marcelus preparing to enter the manhole.

Jair Barik
2009-10-13, 09:53 AM
The light shed by the sunrod reveals that you are a t a sewer intersection. Four metal grates branch off of the pool of sewage that you are standing in. Of these three have their doors tightly locked while one appears to have been destroyed. There are faint signs that a grate was once here in the form of pieces of steel bars protruding down from the ceiling but the rest of the grate is no longer here, nor any sign of its remnants.

HereticNox
2009-10-13, 10:29 AM
Marecelus carefully descends down the ladder toward the group. A high quality chain shirt now adorns his chest. His eyes blink for several moments, as they adjust to the light casted from the sunrod. Marcelus vainly tries to rub the coating of filth from the ladder off on his cloak. Looking around, Marcelus nose wrinkles from the smell and filth that surround the small group.

"No wonder he payed us 800 pieces, it might cover our laundry bill later."

Marcelus eyes the pathway, "So something was here before us."

Jair Barik
2009-10-13, 12:03 PM
The light of the sunrod is insufficient to show you what is at the end of any of the passages, the open sewage tunnel extending onwards for over 60ft as the shadows reveal that stretch of tunnel. It is deathly quiet down here bar for the persistant dripping of water from above.

Trobby
2009-10-13, 12:26 PM
"Well...we know that he must've dropped it in the front of the shop, so we should try to make our way around it. It might've gotten washed away, so we'll follow the trail of...water...from there." Dexter looked around,noting that one door was already open. "...that is pretty strange...Hand me that Sunrod, Nevyn." He started towards the open door. "Hopefully, this path will lead us around and to the front of the shop."

Jair Barik
2009-10-13, 12:55 PM
Dexter begins his passage down the sewer. About 30ft into the tunnel his foot collides against something metallic in the water. It gives of a low resounding hum. Further up the passage Dexter can now see the first turn in the tunnel where it forks of to the right.

Trobby
2009-10-13, 02:24 PM
"Hmm? What's this?" Dexter bent down for a moment to examine the metallic object at his feet, giving the rest of the group time to catch up.

Jair Barik
2009-10-13, 02:27 PM
Dexter finds he cannot pick up the object at his feat. Upon first glance it appears to be a suit of armour with a sword, all battered out of shape with burn marks, melted features and dents, but upon closer inspection there is metal inside of the suit of armour as well, bonded to the joints and filling the space inside.

HereticNox
2009-10-13, 04:09 PM
Marcelus wanders down the pipe, stumbling upon Dexter bent over examining the filthy ground. I wonder how accesible the city is from these sewers...Knowledge about this might prove valuable Catching sight of Dex examining something in the ground."What is it Dex?"

Trobby
2009-10-13, 04:26 PM
"Don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. Some kinda suit of metal filled with other metal parts. Here, come take a look." Dexter takes a step back from the object and holds the tip of the Sunrod over the suit, so that Marcelus can get a better view of it.

HereticNox
2009-10-13, 05:33 PM
Marcelus apporaches Dex, and lowers himself down to get a closer look at the strange armor. He sits slightly for a second, racking his brain as to why such a thing would be here. "Well we know someone was here before us, possibly a soldier that ran into some trouble? Though why he would strip off his armor, or even wear armor like this is odd" His tone is casual, but a slight trepidation is present.

"I suggest we stay in a group, if this is the result of some strange beast. We won't want to make its job easier by picking us off one by one."
What in the world could this mean...

[roll0] knowledge, untrained to get some idea if it was a person or something
[roll1] knowledge religion
[roll2] knowledge local

Firebeard
2009-10-13, 06:26 PM
Nevyn

"The red robed man mentioned constructs that guarded the sewers, didn't he? Do you think is ...was one? One that met a bad end? Either way, I agree that we should stick together."

Trobby
2009-10-13, 07:44 PM
"...If this is what happened to one of the guards, I'd hate to meet the survivor."Dexter shook his head. "C'mon, let's go. Marc, you got some rope or twine? We should tie this to something so I'll have my hands ready for a fight."

Jair Barik
2009-10-14, 02:01 AM
Marcelus wracks his brains but can't come up with a solution to this conundrum, though nevyn's reasoning sounds plausible as you think it over.

Ragnoth
2009-10-14, 01:47 PM
Zanaver quietly walks along behind the group gazing around at the sewer as if it were some amazing artifact. As soon as the metal suit is mentioned he quickly rushes forward and once again stands gazing at it, not speaking a single word, but on the odd occasion nodding in agreement.

HereticNox
2009-10-14, 04:50 PM
Marcelus grinds his teeth in response to Dex's query. "I can't believe I forgot to bring rope. I could stick it in my belt, if need be. Though I rather not illuminate myself as a target, which undoubtly anything in this blasted sewer will flock towards." Marcelus turns to view Zanaver nodding in apparent agreement. "Would you happen to have the rope, and maybe you should carry the light. You can stay in the center, if you so choose."

Diplomacy as needed
[roll0]

Trobby
2009-10-14, 05:08 PM
"Ah, nevermind. I'll just keep it in my belt." Dexter slid the sunrod into a belt strap, tightening it so it wouldn't slip out and adjusting it for comfort, then drawing his weapon, and stepping forward. "Shall we continue?"

HereticNox
2009-10-14, 05:12 PM
"Certainly." Marcelus quietly falls behind Dexter. His glasses reflecting the light of the sunrod, causing his eyes to glow brilliantly.

Ragnoth
2009-10-14, 05:15 PM
Zanaver looks up at Marcelus and grins. he reaches into his cloak and pulls out a long piece of silk rope. still saying nothing he holds i out to Marcelus ad then turns his head to further examine the contraption

intelligence check to see if he knows about the metal thing [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-15, 02:56 AM
Zanaver confirms the thing to have been a construct though his knowledge on the subject is limited and so he cannot say what type this was. The party continues down the pipe and makes it to the turn without further cause for alarm. Looing down the sewers turn you notice it goes on and into the darkness once more but also branches to the left some 30ft down. A faint flicker of green illuminates the passage where it splits off to the left.

Trobby
2009-10-15, 08:24 AM
"...Light fixtures? Huh...this place is fancier than I would've thought..." Dexter shrugged, looking back to his allies. "You know, we really should've procured a city map of the sewers before coming down here...but then I guess we'd have to explain why we'd need a map of a place guarded by constructs so badly...so I guess...onward?"

DM:

I'm a little confused by that description. Does the passage just keep going onward, or do we have a turn option?

Jair Barik
2009-10-15, 10:23 AM
OOC: the Passage goes on like so with P=passage, G=glow, D=darkness and p=party (note this isn't showing actual distances)

______G
pPPPPPPPPPPDDDDD
P
P
P
P

The glow is coming from a second passage that branches off of the main one. You can't see down it as your too far back you are just aware that its there.

Firebeard
2009-10-15, 11:19 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn whispered to Dexter, "Let's turn left and head towards the glow, but cover that sunrod before we get to the intersection so the light doesn't give us away to anyone...or anything...that might be lurking there."

As they approached the intersection, Nevyn listened closely to see if he could hear anything at all.

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-15, 12:02 PM
Nevyn can hear a few light sounds coming from nearby though can't make out their precise origin or content. It sounds as if there are voices coming from down the branch in the tunnel.

HereticNox
2009-10-15, 12:21 PM
Marcelus treads quietly behind Dexter, readying himself in case opposition should appear. His eyes seem to glow slightly as he gazes around.

Activate Seen the Unseen, gaining darkvision 60ft and see invisible things
[roll0] Listen
[roll1] Spot

Trobby
2009-10-15, 07:21 PM
"Good idea, Nevyn." Dexter quickly opened the flap of his backpack, and slid the sunrod in before closing it to avoid becoming a big glowing target, then slowly poked his head around the corner.

Jair Barik
2009-10-16, 11:26 AM
Looking round the corner Dexter sees that the passage goes about 5ft forwards and then ends in a steel door. Rusted with age it is elevated out of the raw sewage by a step, the sewage running through a grate beneath this. Evidently whatvere sounds you can hear originate on the other side of this door as does the green light which flickers ominously through the key hole and underneath the bottom of the door, casting just enough light to be visible from the main passage.

Firebeard
2009-10-16, 11:34 AM
Nevyn
Nevyn sidles past Dexter and crouches at the keyhole to hear what is going on in the room beyond.

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-16, 12:03 PM
Placing his ear to the keyhole Nevyn can hear the rhythmic hum of some strange sound on the over side of the door. He can also hear what sounds like the rattle of bones against one another, their clatter across the dry stone floor and the occasional curse, call of numbers and quiet banter. It sounds as though some men are playing dice.

Trobby
2009-10-16, 12:12 PM
"Well, what've we got?" Dexter asked, waiting as Nevyn listened in through the door, now readying his weapon for a fight.

Firebeard
2009-10-16, 12:53 PM
Nevyn

"It sounds like some men playing dice, though I can't tell how many." He eyed the sword Dexter was readying, "Are you sure we want to start this off with drawn steel? Perhaps a more non-confrontational stance is required." With that, Nevyn took a deep breath, stilled his mind and projected a screen of force in front of him, then calmly pushed on the door to open it.

Casting force screen with 1 PP

HereticNox
2009-10-16, 01:04 PM
Marcelus stands behind Dexter, eyeing the door with apprehension. As Nevyn opens the door, Marcelus readys himself to spring into action should whatever lurks behind the door prove violent.

I want to prepare either a eldricth blast, that goes off if something attacks us (not drawing its weapon, trying to kill us.
[roll0] Attack +1 if they are within 30ft.
[roll1] Eldritch blast damage

Though what I really wanted to do is cast glitterdust if there are 2 or more enemies. Aiming at the center

I have dark vision and can see invisible things
If I don't have line of effect then nevermind on any of this.
Might as well role Initiative [roll2]

Trobby
2009-10-16, 01:37 PM
"I guess you're right. Maybe we could-woah-wait-" But Nevyn was already opening the door, so all Dex could do was prepare himself for an attack, if it should come.

Dex is not ready when Nevyn opens the door, but because he is ready for battle, he'll be able to act on his turn

Jair Barik
2009-10-16, 02:48 PM
You open the door which takes slightly more force than you hoped it would require and jerks inwards with a metallic groan. Before you a large blue ring on the floor bathes the room in an eerie green light, this is highly disconcerting. A man in long flowing purple robes stand in front of it staring at you with two dark skinned humanoids standing either side of the ring in wearing black cloaks. A group of gruff looking men sit about the floor one holding dice. All eyes stare at you and there is a brief moment of awkward silence before the man in purple roars a command and his friends spring up from their places drawing swords. marcelus is eager to attack but can't from his current position get a clear shot and his eldritch blast narrowly misses one of the men.

Initiative: You guys (with the exception of Nox who is going last, though feel free to post your intended action prior to this to speed things along)

Nevyn[roll0]
Dexter[roll1]
Zanaver[roll2]
Purple[roll3]
Black[roll4]
Yellow[roll5]

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/map1.png
Red=Zanaver
Green=Dexter
Blue=Nevyn
Orange=Marcelus
Purple=Robed man
Black=Dark skinned humanoids
Yellow=Regular humanoids
Turqoise=??? Ring

Firebeard
2009-10-16, 03:33 PM
Nevyn - Round 1

Nevyn rushes forwards, narrowly avoiding the men lunging to their feet. Springing at the man in purple, he shifts into khaddi taji and lances a strike out to the man's neck, just below the jawline.

Nevyns moves to F15, avoiding AoO from the men on the ground. Using a flurry of blows attack combined with Stunning Fist to stun the man in purple

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Jair Barik
2009-10-16, 05:10 PM
Nevyn leaps towards the purple robed figure with startling speed that shocks the men grabbing their swords. the blow strikes true to the unprepared man and his necks snaps backwards ninty degrees with a sharp crunch. the man stumbles back slightly then his chest begins to split open and the bloody mass of his head falls limp. The body falls to the ground like a sack of meat and out of the hole in its chest rises a slithering tangled mess of rope like tendrils.

[roll0]

Trobby
2009-10-16, 05:51 PM
Dexter, not one to miss out on all the "fun", rushes towards the three men to the right. He strikes at one man's sword, twisting the chain of his weapon around it and attempting to wrest it from his grip.

Dexter moves to H17 along a diagonal, and attempts to disarm the man in H16. No AoO because of Improved Disarm, and now we make opposed attack rolls with our weapons. I'll go first.

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-16, 09:08 PM
Dexters chain wraps around his opponents sword and pulls it from his grip, clearly much to his enemies dismay.
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-10-17, 06:15 AM
Nevyn

As he watched the...thing...unravel itself from the man's chest he felt his skin prickling.

Knowledge test to see what the thing is...+7 if it has to do with The Planes
[roll0]

Ragnoth
2009-10-17, 07:32 AM
Zanaver intrigued by what is going on pushes past Marcelus and peers round the corner, he looks in amazement as he sees the strange mass of rope like things streaming out of the mans chest. not completly knowing what to do he begins to concentrate and his skin seems to bulge slightly. He then quickly reaches behind him and pulls out a crossbow and fires at the thing.

uses thicken skin spends and extra 6 points and gains + 3 to AC also as he has spent 6 extra points it also classes as a swift action also if possible, im not sure it is, he will also fire a bolt at the ropes.
To hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 08:03 AM
Zanavers bolt flies at the creature but it nimbly dodges aside of the shot. Nevyn wracks his memory but has no idea what the abomination is.

The two dark skinned humanoids both run into the ring disappearing in a flash of blue light. the rope like creature then attacks Nevyn with its tendrils. He nimbly dodges one of them but the other three all lash out striking him injuries (13 damage) they then try to wrap about his skin (make a grapple check).

The man who Dexter disarmed pulls a javelin from his back and jabs at him but its design greatly hinders this and it is easily dodged he then steps backwards to move away from his opponent (moves to I15) the other two men then close on Dexter with their swords, the nearest cutting a nasty gash across his chest (10 damage) and the further missing (if you want you can make an AoO on him with your chain)

Inititiative Nox

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

[roll9] [roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13] [roll14]
[roll15] [roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19] [roll20]

Trobby
2009-10-17, 09:39 AM
(I would like to take an Attack of Opportunity (Note that I get 3 per round), but not a standard attack.)

"Think you can gang up on Dexter, do you?" Dexter shouted at his assailants, taking advantage of his foe's shifting movement in combat to make a strike. "Think again!" His chain wrapped around his foe's leg, as he pulled at him to try and bring him down.

Making a trip attack against the one who provoked AoO. First, I need to make a Melee Touch Attack with my weapon.

[roll0]

Next, we make opposed checks. I'm making a strength check, and he can make an strength or dexterity check, whichever one is higher. (I get a +4 from Improved Trip)

[roll1]

And if it succeeds, I also get a free Melee Attack against him.

[roll2] (don't forget a -4 penalty to his AC while prone)
[roll3]

And I doubt that he is, but if this guy happens to be undead, he needs to make a will save (DC 14) or be destroyed.

HereticNox
2009-10-17, 10:03 AM
Move to G18, and cast web, centered at the intersection of 14I,14J,15I,15J.
If I'm right that should get all the soldiers, plus the creature. Make a reflex save 14 or be entangled,

Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check. Once loose (either by making the initial Reflex save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the web very slowly. Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check or Escape Artist check. The creature moves 5 feet for each full 5 points by which the check result exceeds 10.

If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

The strands of a web spell are flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames.
(if my area is off (I haven't used many area spells) and I catch Nevyn and//or Dexter, could I change the target? Last 10 minutes (lower

Marecelus dashes in behind Zanavers. He raises his hand pointing to the wall on the right side. With a muttering, a sudden thick web springs into existence. Entangling any unlucky enough to caught inside.

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 12:27 PM
OOC:The proposed web would also ensnare nevyn and partially Dexter. Still waiting on a grapple check from Nevyn to see what happens.

[roll0]

Dexters chain whips out at one of the swordmen and catches him on the arm but he manages to slip out of the grasp of the chain and attempts to pull it from his grasp.

Firebeard
2009-10-17, 12:31 PM
Nevyn

As the tendrils start to wrap around him, Nevyn exerts his will a and contorts his body into a free flowing najid ha to escape

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 12:32 PM
Grap-[roll0]
Trip-[roll1]

Trobby
2009-10-17, 12:37 PM
OOC: If Dex attempts to avoid being tripped, does he get the +4 bonus from Improved Trip, or not? Dex will still try to avoid being tripped either way, but I would like to know. Also, you need to make another strength check if he's going to try to trip Dexter in response (Though I think you just did, so...)

Dexter tries to fight against the man to avoid being pulled to the ground.

[roll0] (Add 4 if the Improved Trip modifier applies)

Scratch that, it doesn't make a difference since a higher modifier wins on opposed checks. Dex remains on his feet.

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 12:37 PM
The creature wraps itself around nevyn beggining to crush him with its tendrils and cutting into his skin with strange numbing spines (Fort save please). The man attempting to trip Dexter fumbles and lets go of the chain (don't bother making an opposed check or dropping it).

Initiative Dex, nev and Zan after Nox decides what he wants to do with his spell. Nevyn is now grappled.

Firebeard
2009-10-17, 01:07 PM
Fortitude save for Nevyn
[roll0]

Incidentally, can you make a melee touch attack while grappled?

Also, I suppose I don't get an AoO for the monster initiating a grapple?

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 01:13 PM
You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a –4 penalty on such attacks.

You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

[roll0]

Nevyn takes 3 temporary dexterity damage

Firebeard
2009-10-17, 01:21 PM
I just wondered if I could use Dissipating Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dissipatingTouch.htm)while grappled

Trobby
2009-10-17, 01:28 PM
Before my next turn, I'd just like to confirm our current positions. Is this accurate?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/Introbulus/KalitharsisTracking2.png

Note: Empty circles indicate where someone was, and since we don't know where the dark skinned humans have gone, they do not appear on the map. Nevyn and "the creature" occupy the same space, as per the rules of grappling

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 01:43 PM
OOC: Dissipating touch could be used but would provoke an AoO from the grappler, and would require a succesful touch attack with the appropriate modifiers caused by being in a grapple (remembering that a hand is considered a light weapon)
The map is correct except for the enemy you placed in H15, he is in I15

Trobby
2009-10-17, 02:07 PM
OOC: :smallconfused: I don't think it would provoke an AoO, Jair. For one, he has Improved Unarmed Strike. For another, a touch attack doesn't provoke an AoO, and there are no rules that say attacking the grappler would provoke an AoO.

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 02:21 PM
OOC: But using a power does provoke an AoO, apologies that I implied it was the act of making a touch attack that caused the AoO as opposed to the manifesting

Grappling or Pinned

To manifest a power while grappling or pinned, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + the level of the power you’re manifesting) or lose the power.

Manifesting Powers on the Defensive

If you want to manifest a power without provoking attacks of opportunity, you need to dodge and weave. You must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the level of the power you’re manifesting) to succeed. You lose the power points without successful manifestation if you fail.

HereticNox
2009-10-17, 03:35 PM
Marcelus throws curses into the air, unable to cast any substantial spells. Venting his frustrations at the most conveint target, he flings a ball of energy at the attacker.

Eldritch blast at Humanoid in I17
Ranged Touch attack
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-10-17, 03:51 PM
Energy flies from Marcelus finger tips with deadly accuracy enveloping one of the men who instantly collapses to the floor, no longer appearing to be breathing.

(Initiative for the rest of the party)

Trobby
2009-10-17, 04:33 PM
Dexter

"...Well, that helps."Dexter notes upon seeing Marcelus destroy a foe. He takes a quick step towards the fight, turning to strike at the creature grappling with Nevyn, then turning again to wrap his chain around another man's sword to pull it out of his hands.

Five-foot step up to H16. I do not believe attacking into a grapple has any penalty, but correct me if I'm wrong. And the fighter I'm disarming is in I16.

Also, if the creature happens to be an undead, he needs to make a will save to avoid being destroyed (Still DC 14)

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Critical: [roll2]

Disarm: [roll3]

Waiting for an opposed attack roll...

Firebeard
2009-10-17, 05:30 PM
Nevyn - Round 2

Struggling to break free of the hold the monster had on him, Nevyn slammed punch after punch into the mass of tendrils and threw himself backwards.

[roll0]

((edit: I give up, I should have played Hello Kitty Funtime instead :smallbiggrin:))

@Dexter
There is no penalty for making a melee attack into a grapple, except the grapplers lose their DEX bonus to their AC. If you make a ranged attack against a grappler while not engaged in the grapple, you roll randomly to see which grappler your attack strikes.

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 03:43 AM
The chain lashes out twice the first time cutting into the creatures flesh and the second snapping the sword from another mans hand.
The creature distracted Nevyn manages to wriggle backwards out of the creatures grasp (moving into G16) getting himself succesfully ouy of the tangled mess of tendrils.

Grap [roll0] [roll1]
Disarm [roll2]

(Initiative on Ragnoth)

Ragnoth
2009-10-18, 06:12 AM
Zanaver makes a quick step forward and looks around the room, he sees a man standing alone, and begins to concentrate upon him while mumbling something quietly, after a brief pause he flings his arms forward releasing a ray of fire towards his victim.

step forward to G19 using energy ray using 4 extrapoints to add 4d6 of damage on human in c15 or if he is not in view on the rope creature ranged touch attack.
to hit [roll0]
using fire element so plus 1 for each dice I roll to attack.
damage [roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 06:33 AM
The man dodges aside of the ray of energy and then rushes forwards to meet Marcelus with his sword, lashing out at the man who felled his ally only to have his sword be reflected by his foes armour (moves to F18). The other two men back of slightly, the disarmed man drawing a javelin from his back then both take aim and throw at Dexter as does the man who had already drawn his weapon, while he manages to deflect one of them the second pierces his armour striking him a painful wound (6 damage) (moves to H15 and J16).

The creature having been detatched from its opponent creeps forwards slightly and makes an attack on Dexter with its mass of tentacles in an attempt to impeed him from disarming any more of its allies, three of these manage to strike him and begin to latch on to his armour wrapping itself around his body and impeding his actions (13 damage+a grapple check please) (moves to H16)

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7] [roll8]

[roll9] [roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13] [roll14]
[roll15] [roll16] [roll17]
[roll18] [roll19] [roll20]

[roll21]
[roll22]

Initiative Marcelus then the rest of the party, if you want to post your actions before hand thats fine.

HereticNox
2009-10-18, 08:23 AM
Marcelus quickly springs away from his foe. Moving a short distant away, he whirls about turning to face the guard. Muttering he raises his hand, and a gleaming beam of light streams toward the guard from his outstretched fingertip.

5 foot step to H-18, aiming at the guard in F18
Then a Ray of Enfeelbement [roll0], take [roll1] strength penalty (if hit)
Ohh 10 damage if it hits, its a ranged touch attack to so it might have hit.

Trobby
2009-10-18, 09:06 AM
Dexter attempts to avoid being entangled by the horrid creature.

Grapple Check
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 09:30 AM
The guard takes Marceluss blast to the chest and looks physically weakened as Dexter manages to twist his way out of the creatures grasp. The strange monster shows no signs of giving up its assualt though.

Initiative to Dexter, Nevyn and Zanaver

Trobby
2009-10-18, 09:54 AM
OOC: Before I take my turn, I'd like to point out that one of the Javalin-throwers moved into H15, a square that I threaten. Did you mean a different square? Also, what square is the creature in right now?

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 10:03 AM
Creature is in H16 and the guards squares are H14 and J15 (made a mistake readin the map). Each took a 5ft step to avoid your chain.

Trobby
2009-10-18, 10:06 AM
OOC: But...I'm pretty sure that I am in H16. Are the creature and I sharing a space at the moment? ...For that matter, if we are, can I take a 5-foot step into another square?

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 10:12 AM
ah! didn't see your 5ft step, in which case the creature attacked from where it was (G15) and the guards 5fted to G14 and J17

Trobby
2009-10-18, 10:22 AM
OOC: Makes sense, though it messes with my course of action. :smallfrown: Ah well. Guess I'll have to go with a plan B.

Dexter

"Oy! Could you maybe direct some of those nifty blasts of energy this way, guys?" Dexter called out to his allies, taking a slight step and letting loose his attack upon the wretched monster.

Five-foot step into H15, and a full attack against the creepy crawler.

1st Attack: [roll0]
Crit Roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

2nd Attack: [roll4]
Crit Roll: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 10:48 AM
Dexters chain whips out at the creature repeatedly but only strikes true once leaving a deep gash in its sinewy flesh.

@Dexter
A voice whispers in your mind. Is this really what you want? The city lurches in its death throes as we speak, the fractured leaderships eals its doom and without a unified cause it will perish! How much gold would it cost for me to let you see reason?

Firebeard
2009-10-18, 10:55 AM
Nevyn - Round 3

Nevyn slams into the creature, fists and knees flying, aiming to drive it back before going to Marcelus' aid.

Full attack with Flurry, stunning blow on the first strike (DC 17 fort save or stunned for 1 round)

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 10:59 AM
Dodging beneath the first attack the creature takes the second to its.... face? it is hard to tell due to its bizzare anatomy but it seems likely thats what it was.

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 11:49 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/map2svg.png

Ragnoth
2009-10-18, 11:55 AM
Zanaver responds to Dexters cry by once again mubling some words and shooting yet another ray of fire towards the rope like creature. he turns and shouts to dexter with a smile on his face

That good enough for you

same as previous
to hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 12:07 PM
Zanaver blasts fire from his fingertips that flies past Nevyn and towards the creature. As the flames reach it they stop as if hitting some unseen barrier, but only for a second after which they fly at full force into the creatures body. The flames envelope its being and it explodes outwards with a great force, strands of its tendrils dpreading outwards across the length and breadth of the room, covering Nevyn and Dexter in blue ichor. Two of the men startled by this retreat, the one immediatley behind it running into the blue ring and vanishing, the other cautiously skirting the walls and then with a last burst of speed doing the same. The final man, still armed is less cowardly and advances on the unprotected Psion bringing his sword down into Zanaver's shoulder (8 damage)

[roll1] [roll2] [roll[1d20+8
[roll4] [roll[1d20+8
[roll6] [roll[1d20+8
[roll8] [roll[1d20+8

[roll10]

[roll11] [roll12] [roll[1d20+4

Initiative marcelus then rest of the party.

HereticNox
2009-10-18, 03:38 PM
Marcelus bellows at the remaining guard, "This situation can go one of two ways. The first is for you to lay down your weapon, and cooperate with some questioning. This path has the highest chances for your survival afterwards. The second path is for me to cook you alive, and leave you as a tasty treat for whatever comes along later." For emphasis Marcelus jerks his chin the direction of his crispy compatriot. "Your choice."

Taking 10 on my intimidate check, for an 18

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 03:54 PM
The man glances at the dead body of his ally and then at the blue ichor decorating the room.

Initiative still on you guys.

Trobby
2009-10-18, 04:10 PM
"..." Rather than speak aloud to the unseen voice, he thought to it in response. "I hold no allegiance to this city, or any other man or place. What happens here is none of my business"

Outwardly, Dexter slid up next to the one man still standing in the room, and slipped his weapon around the man's arm, pulling him to the ground to limit his movement options.

Since he's currently paying attention to Marcelus, and not me, I'm going to make a hide and move silently check, and attempt to catch him flatfooted. Then, I roll touch attack, and we both roll opposed checks for the trip.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Touch Attack with Weapon: [roll2]
Trip Check: [roll3]

Ragnoth
2009-10-18, 04:25 PM
Zanaver moves up to the blue circle on the floor and squats down gazing at it, his thoughtful look appears upon his face once again. He thinks about what is before him seeing if he knows anything about it at all.

knowlege check
and if there is any psionic link
Knowlege psionics [roll]1d20+10

Ragnoth
2009-10-18, 04:26 PM
dont know what was goin on with second roll but it wont work so here it is again
Knowlege Psionics [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-18, 04:32 PM
Dexter trips the man sending him crashing to the ground.

Meanwhile Zanaver breaks off from the battle to examine the ring. He is undure of its precise qualities but it seems to be some form of Psychoportation power or device.

OOC:He's not exclusively paying attention to Marcelus you know
Initiative Nevyn

[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-10-18, 05:45 PM
Nevyn - Round 4

Seeing Dexter knock his opponent to the ground, in an apparent attempt to disable him for questioning, Nevyn decided to hold off on his attacks to see what might come. "Drop your weapon and you will be spared." The Runed Man leers at the man on the floor. Often the mere sight of the inked tattoos on that muscled body is enough to cow men into submission.

Readying an attack action if the man on the floor decides to fight for it.

Jair Barik
2009-10-19, 01:29 AM
The man pulls a small knife from out of his sleeve with blinding speed and pulls it across his own throat. Blood pours from the wound and with a gurgling noise the man falls backwards limp.

He struggles about briefly then the room falls silent bar the quiet hum of the ring.

(you each gain 250 xp)

HereticNox
2009-10-19, 08:22 AM
"Well that solves that I suppose" Brushing off his coat, Marcelus begins to search the room. Taking care to avoid getting offendable material.
[roll0]

Firebeard
2009-10-19, 08:38 AM
Nevyn

"What in the world was that thing?" Nevyn said, rubbing his wounds and shaking his head to clear it. "Let's look about the room, but be careful. There's no way of knowing if that portal they used was one way or not."

Take 20 to search the room ... 20

Trobby
2009-10-19, 11:32 AM
"Haven't got a clue." Dexter admitted. Monster classification had never been his strong suit. "It would've been nice to get a few answers out of that guy...to cut himself like that though...must be some sort of fanatic."

Flipping open a pocket in his backpack, Dexter pulled out a pair of potions, quaffing them to cure his wounds, then stepping over to one of the swords he had disarmed, picking it up, and snatching a sheath off one of the fallen men, slipping it onto his belt, then checking all of the fallen men for any interesting objects or notes from employers.

For the moment, I'll assume these are generic longswords. If they happen to be of a better quality than average swords, I probably wouldn't know. But if they are not specifically longswords, I would notice. The potions I'm taking are Cure Moderate wounds. Also, I'm doing a generic search check to search all the human bodies and the monstrous man's body.

Potions: [roll0] [roll1]
Search: [roll2]

Jair Barik
2009-10-19, 03:01 PM
The men were sparsely equipped and the grand total of the two bodies yields a pair of falchions, a pair of javelins, a pair of daggers and two suits of studded leather armour. In addition to this are the fallen falchions and javelins of the two disarmed men. As for other belongings the robed mans corpse and the corpses of the two men each have on them a copper ring with an inlaid amethyst. The gem has carved into it a tooted eye that you seem to recall having seen recently.

Firebeard
2009-10-19, 03:14 PM
Nevyn

"Hmm, a plain copper band with an amethyst and some engraving, eh? Looks like our red robed friend dropped 2 rings down here, instead of just 1. And is this the same drawing as was on the underside of the manhole up top?"

With a smirk, Nevyn tossed one of the rings to Marcelus to look at.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 04:16 PM
"Falchions? Dang, these guys could've been doing some serious damage! I mean, if they weren't all terrible, that is. They COULD have done some damage." Dexter turned the ring in his fingers, examining it a little more closely. "You don't suppose he's looking for a specific one, do you?"

HereticNox
2009-10-19, 09:22 PM
Deftly catching the ring out of the air, Marcelus takes a second to examine the ring closely. "This seems familiar. Nevyn, you remember seeing this symbol somewhere? I think it might have been recently, but where."

Knowledge Religion
Knowledge Local
Knowledge Untrained

HereticNox
2009-10-19, 09:24 PM
Knowledge Local [roll0]
Knowledge Planes [roll1]
Knowledge Religion [roll2]
Knowledge Untrained [roll3]

Trobby
2009-10-19, 11:11 PM
"Got any idea what it could be?" Dex set his backpack down against a wall, and let himself slide down into a sitting position. He'd be a little weighed down with the large sword he picked up, but a sword like that doesn't come along every day, so to make up the weight, he unfurled some of his arrows, and tied them up so he could gather them later.

Dropping 30 arrows, tied up with 5 ft. of rope.

"So look, I'm not so much what you would call "educated" in the mystical arts or any particular religious cults, so what've we got here, guys?"

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 02:53 AM
The symbol is one you have not heard of locally though recognise now thinking about it from your own knowledge of the Gods. It is a holy symbol of Quixwrax whos name is punishable by death in the city of the seven.

Ragnoth
2009-10-20, 11:55 AM
Zanaver looks up at dexter and then back at the circle, he continues staring for a couple more seconds then looks at dexter his smile returning to his face

"well seems this could have some sort of Psionic properties, not sure how it works though"

with that he turns back towards the circle and the smile fades again.

Trobby
2009-10-20, 12:32 PM
((I'll wait until Nox gets a chance to report Marc's findings. And yes, as a standard practice, I use double-parenthesis for OOC comments.))

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 01:07 PM
Marcelus hand grips the ring tightly in his hand. He looks back at the circle on splayed across the room. "This insignia on these rings...It is the symbol of the fallen god...One whose church the Seven have attempted to destroy for many years. The Lord of Abominations..." The last word escape gently from his mouth, coming out as hardly more than a whisper, "Quixwrax" His eyes continue to linger on the shrine, as he walks over to inspect it with his own eyes.

DM only

How bad would it be if Marcelus jumped into the circle to go where ever it goes? Would his charming ways be able to stop them from instantly killing me, or do you want the party to stay together. His powers originate from a demon searching for Quixwrax, and now what seems to be his clerics are under the city.

Trobby
2009-10-20, 01:14 PM
"Hmm...so we have an ancient god of Abominations, and a psionic pool of transportation? Probably a cult." Dexer lifted himself up. "What about the ring? Is it the same kind of ring that our employer is looking for, or is the search still on?"

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 01:40 PM
@Nox
By all means jump into the ring. What happens may surprise you (no insta death though)

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 02:32 PM
Turning to Zanaver, "You haven't known me long...Which makes you perfect for this task. Keep them from following me, and if I'm not back within two hours move on without me." With that he jumps into the circle disappearing in a flash of light.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen
Taking ten on Diplomacy for 23 (which I'll RP when I get the description of what is going on)

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 02:45 PM
@Nox
For a brief moment you can see only light, then the light clears and you find you are in a room. Dead bodies lay scattered about it in various forms of dress. Some are as those you yourself fought while others appear to have been wearing gear more fitted to life in the desert, adorned with many coloured cloaks and fanciful scimiatars. The chamber is large and round some 70ft from wall to wall. Large stained glass windows adorn its walls depicting various scenes and tapestries hang sbout the place showing much the same as does the large rug that lies upon the floor now smeared with blood. The sounds of battle and the clash of steel upon steel echo from below coming up through a spiral staircase of marble at the side of the room. This staircase continues upwards with shafts of daylight coming in from above. The details of the room are slightly distorted by a thin largely torn veil of silk that surrounds a circle you stand upon, similar to the one you entered through though giving off no light. You can see no movement in the rest of the room, all the men here seeming to be dead.

Trobby
2009-10-20, 03:12 PM
"What the-Woah there! Hey, what the heck is he doing?" Dex turned to Zanaver. "You got a clue as to what he's talking about?"

Firebeard
2009-10-20, 03:16 PM
Nevyn

"He's either gone to get himself killed, or gone to find out some answers. Either way, looks like we are stuck here for a couple of hours." With that, the monk sat in lotus position and began to meditate, keeping an ear out for movement in the tunnels beyond.

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 03:27 PM
DM only

OOC:((Should I keep spoilering stuff for now?))
Marcelus gasps as space folds in upon itself. His eyes sting from the strength of the light, and it takes several seconds for him to orientate himself in this new place. The scene that meets his eyes is bloody, and he grimly notes the sound of battle ringing from the staircase. Moving quietly he makes his way to the staircase, To go up or down... Deciding that peeking at the events unfolding downstairs is the best choice. He quietly moves down the stairs, trying his best to hide himself along the way.

Rolls
Hide [roll0]
M.S. [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 03:35 PM
@Nox

Looking down the staircase you see a full out battle in progress. The floor below appears similar to the one you stand on now but has various makeshift barricades and defenses set up. Two factions seem to be fighting it out to the death, the men in desert clothing and the men from the sewer. A circle similar to that you came through sits behind one of the barricades and you watch as three men in purple robes enter through it. A great ball of energy is hurled by one of them towards his foes killing three outright in the flames and setting two others on fire, you ae yet to be noticed (or at the least yet to have any one who noticed you act on it) and cannot take in the full extent of the room in the few seconds you jave studied it.

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 03:49 PM
DM only

The knowledge checks are for figuring out what is going on here.
Knowledge Religion [roll0]
Knowledge Local [roll1]
Knowledge Planes [roll2]
Hide [roll3]
Move Silent [roll4]
Listen [roll5]
Spot [roll6]

Marcelus slowly backs away from the scene in front of him, trying to blend into the background and remain unnoticed. No need to get involved until the battle is decided... Especially after the demonstration. Doubling back he tries to move up the staircase, planning incase escape would be necessary.

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 03:52 PM
@Nox
You make it up to the previous floor and it seems as though nobody is following you. You haven't the faintest idea what is going on here but as a guess you would say that the men in desert clothing are members of the city guard for one of the sectors, from their fancy clothing most likely one of the inner bands.

OOC:You going up to the top floor or back through the portal?

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 04:00 PM
OOC: Up to the top floor

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 04:06 PM
@Nox

You emerge onto an open topped area and realise just how high up you are. It is hard to tell quite how high as you are sitting in the stairway and so haven't a full view of your surroundings but you can still see the tops of a few of the cities towers from your position and know from this that you are likely on top of one of them. There is no railings here just the stairwell and the flat expanse of the roof. Two me stand in conversation one with their back to you who wears purple robes, the other also robed, faces the man in purple. You can't make out much of the details of either figure but the one with his back to the edge of the tower appears to be slightly hunched forwards as if in pain, and his face is bloodied. They are talking but you cannot hear them over the sound of the wind.

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 04:18 PM
DM only

Marcelus carefully moves closer, trying his best to remained unnoticed. His goal is to get close enough to overhear the conversation taking place.

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 04:31 PM
@Nox
The man in purple seems to be talking to the other man, he waves his hands about in excited gestures, possibly angry. You get closer and can hear what he says. ".....shall tell wether they can do the same. But their time has come Colian. The world has reached a new age and a ruler has emerged from the ashes of the past. The unfathomable reaches of the edge will be explored under my reign and Quizwax will be restored to his rightful place. Nobody shall stand in my way Colian... NOBODY!"

The man in purple whirls about to face you with blinding speed. (two will saves please)

[roll0]
[roll1]

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 04:45 PM
DM only

Marcelus eyes widen as the purple man rants to the Colian. The edge...I knew it had a connection to Quizwax. As the man whips around, Marcelus can feel his will being assaulted and tries his best to resist.

[roll0] Will
[roll1] Will

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 04:48 PM
Half an hour passes and still Marcelus has not returned. No sound has passed by your region of the sewers in this time either.

EDIT: Dice rolls completely screwed up so am posting them in the next post down. Apologies for this.

Jair Barik
2009-10-20, 04:52 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

@Nox
Your head feels a great surge of power and your mind feels nothing but pain. You collapse to the ground the world about you going black as darkness enveloped you, and blissful unconsciousness relieves you of your pain.

HereticNox
2009-10-20, 04:56 PM
DM only

Marcelus limbs twitch as he lays on the ground.

I had to put a time limit:smallsigh: Well I can always find them later.

Do changelings retain the form they are in when they are knocked unconscious

Ragnoth
2009-10-21, 11:45 AM
Don't worry about him he can look after himself just give him some time he'll be back im sure of it
Zanaver smiles and walks over to the nearest wall and leans there and closes his eyes still smiling.

OOC-sorry i didn't post much yesterday was out.

Trobby
2009-10-21, 12:25 PM
"Bah, he's just gettin' me antsy. He ought to be back by now."

Jair Barik
2009-10-22, 02:33 AM
OOC: are you going to go through the ring then or continue waiting? If so how long?

Firebeard
2009-10-22, 06:53 AM
Nevyn

"Steady, my friend. He said to give him 2 hours to get back. The question is, what do we do if he doesn't return? Shall we go through ourselves, or return to the surface to the man in red?" Nevyn stood from his meditations.

"It seems clear that the man in red had some purpose for sending us down here beyond a simple retrieval. Perhaps to meet these here? Perhaps to kill them? I do not know...but I would like to find out."

Ragnoth
2009-10-22, 12:42 PM
Zanaver suddenly looks up with a big grin

I have a plan, how about we give marcelus his 2 hours and whilst we wait we return to the man in red, once we are done with him we return here if marcelus is still not back we shall go through to find him. hows that sound?

He looks at the others waiting for a response, looking very pleased with himself.

Trobby
2009-10-22, 12:52 PM
"Ah, I like a man with initiative. Very well, let's make an escape from these sewers, and talk to that guy in the red robes. If Marc gets back before we return, he'll know where to find us. If he doesn't, we'll know where to find him."

(This will be my last post for awhile, so Dexter will have to go on autopilot for awhile. Take good care of him, guys! I've grown kinda fond of the guy. :smallwink: )

Jair Barik
2009-10-22, 01:53 PM
Returning to the tavern the three men find that the man in red is no longer there. The innkeeper looks up as you enter though and, seeming to recognise you, greets the party "Ah! There you are. Your umm friend, gave me something to look after said I should give it to you when you returned, told me to tell you to put something in it and then have you hold onto it... errr... he didn't say what though, said you'd know what to do...sorry..." the man looks slightly embarased and gestures to a red silk bag on the counter. It appears to have a pull tie of purple velvet and gold emroidery but these aspects are diminished by its clearly apparent aging.

Firebeard
2009-10-22, 02:13 PM
Nevyn

"Thank you neighbor. We do indeed know what to do". Taking the bag from the innkeeper, Nevyn turned aside and slipped one of the copper rings into it.

In hushed tones, he then said to the others "Let's go talk to that lizard in the alchemy shop. I get the feeling he may know more about things than he was willing to say earlier."

Nevyn led the other two back to the Alchemist's Shop and walked in, looking for the proprietor.

Jair Barik
2009-10-22, 02:23 PM
As Nevyn slips the ring into the bag its draw strings tightened. It then felt much lighter than it had done with the wait of the ring inside. Its weight and bulk changed once more (though still very light it remained) and the draw strings loosened slightly though little enough to keep the bag closed.

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 02:26 AM
Bump
So what are you guys doing now?

Firebeard
2009-10-24, 06:48 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn led the other two back to the Alchemist's Shop and walked in, looking for the proprietor.

(( I believe we are going to see if the kobold or whatever has any taskss/information for us. He did mention that "specialists" could get good money for....something.))

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 07:15 AM
As you arrive at the alchemists shop you notice a cart parked up outside of it. Its back is covered by a large tarp and at first glance there is nobody on it. Upon closer inspection though a man sits up at the front behind the camels that draw it hunched over a dressed in black. He holds a set of reigns but appears inanimate. Rounding the back of the shop comes a large creature with insectoid compund eyes, a large pair of mandibles and four thick and sturdy limbs. It dwarfs you greatly and putting its arms under the tarp pulls out a crate which it slings over its back before proceeding back into the ally behind the shop.

@Nox
You feel a liquid of some sort being forced down your throat and begin to awake its rejuvinating qualities raising you from your state of unconsciousness (gain 4hp). As the world about you clears you notice you are still atop the tower. A man in monks robes draws back from you with an empty bottle and a number of spears are pointed at you in an encircling ring. These belong to men like those you saw battling the men from the sewers. One of these dressed with greater grandeur than the others addresses you with a menacing voice.
"You are under arrest for the murder of Lithius Serin. You will be tried swiftly and then publicly hanged if you are deemed to be guilty. If however you plead guilty we can dispense with these formalities and end this here and now, sparing you some of your dignity scum"

HereticNox
2009-10-24, 08:32 AM
DM only

Marcelus slowly blinks, adjusting himself to be back in the conscious. I'm not dead... As he notices the ring of spear tips that had formed around him. Marcelus sits up as the lead guard steeps forward. Marcelus blood boils in his veins, but managing to keep his voice calm "I don't even know a Lithuis Serin, So I plead not guilty. I like for it to be known these are ridiculous charges and I am completely innocent of any wrongdoing." With that Marcelus falls silent, sighing This is going to be irritable experience...I'll wait till guard change. Looking around, Marcelus tries to get a quick assessment of the situation.

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 09:11 AM
@Nox
The man luaghs "Ha! Is that so? Then perhaps you would please tell me your role in being here? A man doesn't simply walk into one of the most highly protected buildings in the city, up numerous flights of stairs, past some of the sectors most elite guards, through the middle of a large incursion by rebel forces and undetected by numerous wards and detectors, onto the roof of the building and end up covered in the blood of the man who was then thrown off of the top of the building with nobody else in sight. I am no fool and would know your part in this traitor! I have enough evidence regardless of what you say for you to be put to death so think carefully on your next words."

HereticNox
2009-10-24, 09:21 AM
"A brilliantly constructed theory, though I feel the need to point out several flaws in your theory. If I had succeeded at throwing this Lithius fellow off the roof, why would I be unconscious? If I had enough strength to throw him of the roof, which I didn't, then I would have had enough strength to at least hidden somewhere." says Marcelus. He then finishes with, "Though as I understand the letter of the law must be followed, I will comply with you to be questioned."

taking 10 for a 23 diplomacy check

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 09:41 AM
@Nox
The man glares at you. "Collapsed from your wounds perhaps? Assisted in aiding another to carry out the murder? Perhaps you were just a grunt in their front ranks knocked down by Lithius or an overzealous ally. Regardless your trial shall be swi-"
"Non existant is the word you are looking for Gariv." the ring of guards part to reveal a man in priests robes. He is young in his years compared to many priests and has a full head of black hair and a shocking smile. His robes have a certain grandeur and elegance to them and are of a pale blue silk that billows out over his thin frame. The lead guardsman (who's name you now guess to be Gariv turns about to see this new person.
"Councillor Alderbrac! I did not expect to be see-" the priest shakes his head
"No you are never thinking are you Gariv. Pray tell how the assassins managed to get into the tower? I am sure that such information has by now reached the ears of you, being that is the head of the guard here hm?" Gariv looks half nervous and half embaressed
"Portals sir. But we have apprehended one of the asass-"
"Yes portals that have since been closed before we could send any scouts through them. Very useful information Gariv! But as I said there will be no trial, the man is aquitted, to acompany me to an office below for private interview." Gariv is visually shocked and runs up to the priest.
"But sir! The evide-"
"The evidence is non existant Gariv. I saw Kanis kill Lithius with my own eyes. Do you wish to dispute me?"
N-no. No?"
"Good. Now clear a path. I would like our guest to be able to follow me without becoming skewered." the spearmen step back from you leaving a clear path. The priest then begins walking towards the stairs and gestures you to follow.

HereticNox
2009-10-24, 10:02 AM
DM only

Marcelus face hardens as the priest intervenes in his situation. Saved by a priest, disgusting...I almost rather go to trial, than accept this pig of the church's help. Though I suppose I have no choice. As the man gestures for Marcelus to follow, he gets up silently and wobbly follows the priest. Not uttering a word, until the priest breaks the silence.

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 10:08 AM
@Nox
The priest leads you down several floors of the tower, with a retinue of guards in tow. He passes through several rooms with dead bodies scattered about them finally coming to a door in the wall of a floor aboput 5 levels down from the roof. He takes out a key and unlocks it then turns to the guards. "We shouldn't have any problems but I woulkd have you wait here just in case. Now then my guest, shall we enter?" he turns the door handle and walks into the room.

HereticNox
2009-10-24, 10:28 AM
Dm only

Marcelus steps through the door, he searches for a chair to sit down upon.

Ragnoth
2009-10-24, 10:35 AM
Zanaver looks over at nevyn look of confusion mixed with a slight look of annoyance upon his face.

Could i have a look at that bag again please

he then holds out his hand

Jair Barik
2009-10-24, 11:15 AM
Opening the bag Zanaver finds that it contains a scroll, folded up on itslef and sealed with a blob of ink. The seal is an ornate triangle with an enclosed T in its centre. The two rings placed inside the bag are nowhere to be found.

@Nox
The door opens into a round room with bookcases on all sides and a desk in its centre. Two chairs sit here on either side of it and all manner of trinkets decorate the walls and hang from the alcoves of the shelves. As you sit down the man walks over towards a box on one shelf and opens it, taking out a pair of rusted old spectacles. Placing them on his nose he turns to face you, frowns, smiles and then sits in the other chair. "So then, tell me exactly what happenned on top of the tower and how you came to be there. Name and proffession would also be beneficial, why after all, at the moment I know only that you are a changeling!" before waiting for your response the man stands from his chair and walks over towards a shelf where he picks up a large tome and begins flicking through its pages.

Ragnoth
2009-10-25, 09:15 AM
Zanver holds the scroll out and peers at the seal

Hey you two, you don't happen to recognise this seal do you?

He continues looking for a couple of seconds then peels apart the seal trying to do as little damage to it as possible in case the others wanted a closer look and then looks inside the scroll.

knowlege to see if i know what the seal is [roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-10-25, 09:57 AM
Despite his best efforts Zanaver cannot recognise the seal as one found in common knowledge, or even his own great experience. Peeling apart the seal it breaks in to two just as it was intended to but Zanaver's careful efforts preserve most of the pattern leaving a clearly opened but still recognisible seal upon the scroll. Opening it out he finds a message that reads as follows.

Congratulations are in order it seems for a job well done. I believe the pay is sufficient for the job it entailed. Should you wish to delve deeper into these matters then I would pass on any relevant information you find with regard to the events that have happenned or to the people this relates to to me through means of this bag. As you may have guessed this bag has a brother and anything placed into one can be removed by the other. I have reason to believe that these were used by spies in the wars before the scourging, I shall not say where I managed to aquire them. Needless to say that any useful information you aquire for me will be duly rewarded and similarly should i find any information that may be of interest to you I can supply it through the means of the bag. At present I am aware that the assassination attempt was a resounding success much to my disappointment though your personal involvement in the matter is yet to reach my ears (though soon will, I have as it may interest you many ways of finding out information fast). Of course none of you have any further obligation to aid me in my dealings but for those who do I promise there are great rewards, both monetary and in the form of knowledge.
Signed T

The T at the end of the scroll is greatly similar to that found on the seal though less ornate and made in ink as opposed to wax.

Ragnoth
2009-10-25, 11:51 AM
Zanaver smiles after he finnishes the letter and looks at nevyn.

This could be your chance to get that information you wanted

he then holds the letter out.

Read this

HereticNox
2009-10-25, 02:13 PM
At DM

Marcelus folds is hands in his lap, and gazes coldly at the man for several seconds. Finally he breaks the silence, keeping his tone polite and unfettered, "Well before I answer, could inquire as to what your name and profession might be? Obviously you hold a position of power, as your intervention with the guards demonstrated. I believe he said your name was Alderbrac, is that correct sir?"

The guards are stationed outside the door. I can't make my move until I'm sure I can silence him. Though the ease in which he deduced my heritage is troubling.

Jair Barik
2009-10-25, 02:34 PM
While you read the letter the creature makes another two trips from the cart to the ally and back again, each time taking another crate with it. On its final return it brings back a smaller bag which it throws into the back of the cart. It then mounts up the back of the cart and sits hunched over then throws the tarp about its head covering itself completely.

@Nox

The man smiled a cool and calm smile. You can read people (indeed you are experienced in it) and you can tell from his face that this man is no fool. "Indeed. I am Lenion Aldabrac. I am a Chancellor in the Council of the Elder priests beneath the guidance of Kane. What with the death of old Lithius I am put in quite the interesting position. Who knows, perhaps I will be elected High Chancellor for the district in favour of an older priest. But now that you know me I think it is important that I get to know you hm? I am keen to find out the exact circumstances of my predesecors demise as so far all I know is that he was turned to crystal and then catapulted off of the top of the tower. Needless to say it is unlikely that he will be returning to the land of the living." Lenion smiles again and places his book back on a shelf upside down so that two pages lay open yet unreadable. He then picks up an unusual knife that looks meant neither for battle nor for eating or craft. Just as the spectacles it shows signs of its age and a thin length of blue thread runs from its tip into its side.

HereticNox
2009-10-25, 03:20 PM
At DM

Interesting, a wolf hidden amongst the sheep though they all still are animals. I probably could lie...but he seems annoyingly sharp. The dishonesty could be uncovered, and I'm a particularly dire situation...Chancellor in the Council of the Elder...a target, though I like to start on my plan I must hold myself back for now. Having a connection could serve very useful, I could also come back more prepared.

Marcelus sits back in his chair, relaxing for a moment. In a light voice, similar to one might use over tea, Marcelus says "Indeed it is a pleasure to meet you Chancellor Aldabrac, though I wish the circumstances were of a different nature. As for my name, it is Marcelus Agostino. My profession, regrettably, is selling my services as needed. Of course nothing of a grim sort, mostly odd jobs that my set of skills is required. In fact such employment is what lead me into the strange situation on the roof. Even though this whole place is distinctly out of my contract, in fact it was simply retrieving an item that our cilient lost. I believe it was a wedding ring of sorts."

Pausing for a second he admires the knife with an approving eye, "As for the High Chancellor's demise. I, myself, was accosted by the same man who...presumably ended his life. In my efforts to defend the man, I fell victim to an attack of an unknown nature and was left severely injured. What I am sure of is that it was undoubtedly one of the two purpled robe men. Who I believe may serve a..." Pausing for a brief second, "a certain ex-deity."

Mix a tiny lie in with everything else, I don't know how you are going to rule this. Though since my invocations are 24hrs, can it be assumed that I activate them in the morning for the day? Particularly of use would be beguiling influence for that nice +6 on my bluff check.

So taking 10 it is either a 27 Bluff check, respectable but risky, or a 33 Bluff check, with beguiling influence, which is also risky considering he is/could possibly be a cleric.

Also activate detect magic, looking at the priest (hopefully iIdon't get divine slapped)

Jair Barik
2009-10-25, 03:42 PM
@Nox
The room is full of various magics, the priest also. Several of these can be detected as originating in the glasses, the knife and various items of jewellry. Aldabrac sighed "I feared that the situation would likely involve you not knowing much. Ah well, it is not as if I lack knowledge on the event but anything of use would have been nice. Tell me, how would you like to do a little bit of work for me? All I ask is that you tell keep me aware of any information on this cult of Quizwrax that may come your way. Don't act surprised that I mention his name, should you turn out to be a loyal spy you will soon realise that many things outlawed are available to men high up. This for example." He hands you the book opened out on the double page spread. The writing is in an unkown script but the pictures are recognisible as the creature from the sewers. He smiles. "Tsochari. If you are interested in the work I am offering I will give a handsome reward up front. All I ask is that you pledge allegiance to me whilst holding my knife, to sign the contract so to speak." he smiles again and performs a number of other subtle body motions throughout his speach. When he speaks of reward his eyebrow arches as if referring to the objects in the walls of the room. He places the knife on the desk before you but not before having first threaded a length of green thread in place of the blue through it.

Firebeard
2009-10-26, 07:09 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn glanced at the letter distractedly, being more focused on the ... creature ... unloading boxes on the cart. Its features struck him as hideous and a tingle ran through him. What was this monstrosity doing in one of the greatest cities he had ever heard of? What was it?

Knowledge check to see if I can recognize anything about the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]

After gazing at the creature for a solid minute, the monk turned his gaze onto the letter. At the words "the assassination attempt was a resounding success" he grew concerned. What assassination attempt? Our involvement? What did we get ourselves into?

HereticNox
2009-10-26, 12:15 PM
At DM

Marcelus gazes with interest at the offered knife, "What does pledging allegiance to you entail? I also must inquire as to the function of the knife since it obviously hold special properties."

Jair Barik
2009-10-26, 01:54 PM
Nevyn realises that the creature is an Umber Hulk. A subbteranean monstrosity of great strength and of reasonable intelligence.

Nox
"The knife allows me to keep a quick contact with you should it be needed. As for allegiance it simply means you will try not to fraternise with my enemies to the best of your ability. Now if you just sign then I shall give you your reward and get you back to... whatever district it is you came from. Sounds fair yes?"

HereticNox
2009-10-26, 03:56 PM
At DM
Can I make a sense motive check, because I don't buy that the knife allows quick contact....

Jair Barik
2009-10-26, 05:29 PM
@Nox

Sure knock yourself out
DM only

HereticNox
2009-10-26, 08:50 PM
DM only
S.M [roll0] adding +6 if beguiling influence is up.

Firebeard
2009-10-26, 09:36 PM
Nevyn

Glancing at the cart, Nevyn turned casually to the other two and murmured "what is an Umber Hulk doing in the city? And what was it carrying back and forth to the alley?"

He continued walking towards the alchemists shop entrance, trying to surreptitiously get a good look at the driver of the cart.

Jair Barik
2009-10-27, 04:16 AM
Getting into a better position Nevyn can see that the carts driver is human, or humanoid. He has a paled complexion and sunken eyes and stares into space with a vacant expression. Though he cannot hear the conversation it sounds like somebody is inside the alchemists shop talking to Azbar.

@Nox

He sounds quite sincere.

Firebeard
2009-10-27, 07:13 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn pushed his way into the alchemist's shop and stared about the place, expecting to find someone at the counter talking to Azbar. In a loud voice he said to the shop at large "Did anyone here lose a giant ant? There's one in the cart outside."

Jair Barik
2009-10-27, 02:29 PM
Azbar turns around to see you. His desk is now occupied by what appears to be a bucket of shiny liquid and he has a mop next to it. Standing by him is a strange creature who he appears to have been in conversation with. It has an insect like body with 6 legs and a short pair of arms. Its body is covered in an orange fur and its long neck bends upwards ending in an intelligent looking face with a large set of sharp teeth. It turns to look at you as you enter and gives you an unnerving stare then turns back to Azbar. "Ehhhh it looks like our business here is done for the day Azbar. Biv should be finished by now so I shall be on my way." the creature picks up some papers from the desk and places them into a sack on its shoulder.
"Well when you have more merchandise you come back to old Azbar ya?"
The creature glares at the little lizard person. "This business is best spoken of in private Azbar. If you find privacy is hardr to arrange these days then I shall take it elsewhere." It then turns towards the door which you are standing in and glares at you as if asking you to move.

Firebeard
2009-10-27, 09:28 PM
Nevyn

Stepping aside to let the orange insectoid pass, Nevyn walks up to the shopkeeper. "I hope we didn't interrupt your business, neighbor. We were just wondering if you could answer a ew questions of a ... delicate ... nature." Placing one of the copper on the counter, the Runed Man leaned over and said in a low voice "What do you know of this?"

Jair Barik
2009-10-28, 07:27 AM
Azbar takes out his unusual monocle device and glances quickly over the ring. He then frowns and hands it back. "I know that if I were to call the guards right now you'd be sporting a fancy new neck tie before the sun had set. You go round showing things like that to people and you going to be getting into trouble mista. You be thanking yourselves that Azbar is slightly more open minded than most kay?" Azbar then walks round to the other side of his counter.

Meanwhile outside...
Zanaver and Dexter see the strange creature come out of the alchemists shop. It wraps a robe about its body and amasked turban around its head. It thend mounts up onto the cart and shouts something at the driver. The cart quickly trundles off down the street turning around after a couple of yards and then rattling off in the direction it had presumably come from in the first place.

Firebeard
2009-10-28, 07:49 AM
Nevyn

"If you know that much, then you know what it means, and what the same drawing on a manhole in back of your shop means. I imagine those same guards would be very understanding when you tell them that you nothing of how that drawing just happened to be placed right outside your humble shop. Don't play games with me. When we were here before, you hinted that there was more information that you weren't sharing with us. You spoke of certain ... opportunities. You aren't the simple shopkeeper you would suddenly have me believe."

"Please, tell me what you know of this device."

Jair Barik
2009-10-28, 07:57 AM
Azbar walks across to a window and draws down the shutters. "Look some guys come by, ask wether I mind em usin tha sewer round back. I say no cause their golds good as any and its locked anyhows. Then you come along normal customers I think, nothin special. Now you come back with this ring an go alludin ta the manhole... Any eejit knows what that symbol means, or at least anyone thinkin of lastin longer than a week here. Business I was referin to is with Dardan. Ya just missed him but hes camped up outside the city gates. Trades in rare goods, I aint saying no more till I see how good your gold flows compared to everyone elses." Azbar smiles and rubs his fore finger and thumb together.

HereticNox
2009-10-28, 08:39 AM
At Dm

"For the sake of argument, what would happen if I refused this offer?"

Firebeard
2009-10-28, 09:39 AM
Nevyn

Nevyn slides 3 gold pieces across the counter and replies "Ware your tongue! I am not from this city, or indeed anywhere near here. I do not happen to know the meaning of this symbol and am greatly desiring to remove my ignorance. Enlighten me with regards to this ring, and then perhaps we can talk of Dardan and his needs."

Ragnoth
2009-10-28, 10:15 AM
Zanaver watched the creature leave the shop and head towards the cart, he then turns towards dexter and smile

be right back

He then begins to run after the cart making sure to keep it in view but not getting to close as to arouse suspicions

Jair Barik
2009-10-28, 11:48 AM
@Nox
"If that is the case then I send you from here with nothing gained for either of us. Needless to say that should you end up before me a second time I will be more inclined to Gariv's point of view."

Nevyn
Azbar glared at Nevyn and then spoke in angry whispers "Its tha symbol of the eigth God who's name is punishable by death! This very conversation is a danger to us both you idiot! Go talk to somebody who wants to die if you must no more or leave the city so they can't get you so easily." he snatches the gold off of the table and then shouts at the rafters. "Gatka! There is some graffiti behind the shop. Go clear it up!" there is a brief scrabbliong in the rafters and then no further noise.

Zanaver

Following the cart for a little while it seemed ievitable that it should outrun were it not for the streets being packed as the sun grew higher in the sky. Though concentrated on following the cart you still pick up slight snatches of conversation with regards to murder, assassination and other such things. From this you gather that a man (most likely a high ranked priest has been assassinated, thrown from the top of a very high tower. Youcannot grasp the specifics due to your current task. After following the cart for a little while you reach the city gate out of the sector and after pausing to hand something to a guard the driver continues the cart on through and out into the desert, travelling towards what looks like some sort of a gypsy encampment a little way off.

OOC: As Dexter is away atm I'm leaving the Nevyn plot un spoilered on the assumption that the majority of the party is there.

HereticNox
2009-10-28, 12:38 PM
At DM

Marcelus stews for a second on this newest information, "Well I am inclined to offer you my services, a partnership between us would be beneficial for both parties." Leaning back Marcelus straightens his glasses, and then continues his offer, "I'm not very well versed in matters concerning times long past, but I have a certain discernment for identifying items touched by that age. I'm hesitant to use the knife to seal our contract, because in my ignorance I have no way to verify if that expedient contact is the only use of it. Alternatively, we could engage in a standard contract, with a small retainer up front and then a pay-scale based upon the difficulty of whatever activity you have me do. The other is a demonstration of the knife's properties. You could similarly sign a contract with me using the knife. Just stating that I will get payed for my services, and I won't be terminated from employment without reason."

He pauses for a moment to let the offer sink in. He then continues, "Why would my services be worth the contract? As you are most likely aware, my lineage grants me certain abilities that are not commonplace. I have even gone farther than my brethren in our inherent art, in developing a mindset to match my abilities. You want the cult to be observed? Child's play, I could infiltrate it with some planning and provide you with much more than simple observations. Names of practioners, places of worship, times of their gatherings, all these could be yours. I imagine election to High Chancellor would be quite easy, for the man who finally ended the worship of a detestable god."
taking ten on diplomacy for a 23, unless beguiling influence is up which it is then a 29.

Jair Barik
2009-10-28, 12:50 PM
@Nox
The man looks at you for a little while and then speaks. "Perhaps I was wrong about you. I believe you will find the cult harder to infiltrate than you may otherwise imagine. I shall keep your offer of service open in my mind but perhaps it best if for now you leave this place. The guards outside will escort you back to whatever district you came from." He walks over to the shelf and replaces the knife and book. For the time being he keeps on the glasses. "You may leave"

HereticNox
2009-10-28, 12:58 PM
At DM

Marcelus raises up from his chair, "Of course, I do not wish to waste any more of your precious time. If you feel the need to contact me, I will be frequenting the Hullathoin's Head in the mid district of Mothril for the time being. I wish you a pleasant day Chancellor Aldabrac." With that Marcelus moves to the door, opening it and stepping outside. He gently closes the door behind him, and turns to the guards. "Could you perhaps direct me to the exit?"

At DM again

I hope Marcelus distrust for the church didn't ruin a plot line. He just can't bring himself to fully trust the church.

Ragnoth
2009-10-28, 01:06 PM
DM
zanaver waits for the cart to mob further away and once it's almost out of site he moves up to the guard and gives him a friendly smile

excuse me sir, you would happen to know much about that camp would you?

Jair Barik
2009-10-28, 01:47 PM
@Nox
(assuming you don't try anything)
The guards escort you out of the tower passing through numerous flowers in various states of damage with bodies thrown about. As you get nearer the bottom you notice there is much less sign of the recent battle. Exiting the tower the guards take you through an affluent and wealthy district where the streets are much emptier than in the cramped inner districts, the goods are finer and the people richer, few are around the tower though except for guards. Passing into the mid district of the area the guards then escort you through the streets till they finally reach one last gate. One of the guards turns to you"Here is the mid district of Mothril. You may go free from here." you recognise this street and know the passage to the alchemists shop from here.

@Ragnoth

The guard looks out. "The circus come to town. Various bands of vagrants have set up outside and are offeringgoods and services. Mostly harmless, conjurers and the like with no real magic but a few of them are as bad as the blackmarket. That rat Dardan just passed through too. Sure he's up to something illegal, trade of artifacts and such but we can't pin him, especially as he's set up outside our jurisdiction, mark my word though, you bring that bug in and you could really go places in the guard..." he speaks with a certain amount of contempt and anger about Dardan not even trying to mask it.

HereticNox
2009-10-30, 08:48 AM
"I don't have to tip you right?" Without waiting for an answer, Marcelus strolls down the street. His lips form a scowl as he reflects on the past events. Well besides nearly dying,getting arrested,my heritage being revealed, and then losing my avenue into the church that went amazingly. I need to be more careful, if I was to fail who would carry on my work?

Looking up he notices the alchemist shop down the street, feeling the jingling of his coins. Marcelus decides to buy some supplies, he heads toward the shop.

Jair Barik
2009-10-31, 05:12 PM
OOC: have now added a world map to the setting thread

HereticNox
2009-11-01, 04:03 PM
Marcelus makes his carefully to the alchemist shop, and opening the door makes his way inside.

Jair Barik
2009-11-01, 04:19 PM
Azbar glares at the newcomer.
"Oh bringing in the goons eh? You and your friends won't intimidate me though meester! Now if you lot aren't going to be passing coin here any time soon you'd be best clearing off before I call the guard on you! Or worse..."

Firebeard
2009-11-02, 02:44 PM
Nevyn

"Actually, I would like a pen and some paper please."

Taking the items from Azbar and passing over some coins, Nevyn begins to write.

Apparently you dropped more rings than I remember. Here is another. As for the assassination attempt you mentioned, to what do you refer? We only met some large rats in the sewer. Rats that fled when we came upon them. Perhaps we can indeed do business again.

"Thank you for your information, kind sir." he said to Azbar when he finished writing. "We will be back with any new...requests as we find need. And thank you for your understanding as well. As I mentioned, I am new to the city and not familiar with its customs and taboos."

Trobby
2009-11-03, 07:52 AM
((Sorry I've been away for so long, guys. I'll try to show up once a day to see how things are going, but activity from Dexter will be a bit sparse until at least Friday.))

"Hey, what's taking so long, Nevyn?" Dexter inquired as he entered the shop himself, feeling a little apprehensive. "What was on that scroll that Zanaver showed you?"

HereticNox
2009-11-03, 09:01 AM
"Hello gentlemen...Glad to see my absence weighed heavily on your hearts." The sarcasm coming from Marcelus is palatable. He makes his way to the counter, completely ignore Nevyn and Dexter. He leans on the counter, in such a way that the platinum pieces in his jacket jingle.

"Lets start off by saying I am not a goon. What I am though, is in a mood to spend some hard earned coin. What is the selection of this fine establishment."

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 09:42 AM
Azbar looks at the three of you with a shrewed eye. "Potions, alchemical supplies and compounds, rare materials. Got a few crystal objects and tha like. Nothin magic though. Thats not in my line of business."

HereticNox
2009-11-03, 09:55 AM
Marcelus stares around the shop, his eye carefully taking in all the merchandise.

"Fine shop you got here, what sort potions do you have in stock? Also I am in need of some new components."

Detect Magic on the whole shop, Sweeping from left to right

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 10:22 AM
Azbar looks about the shop.
"Weell lets me see... Aye have some curative potions of various strengths...toxins for the killing of pests....positoxins for the hunters of the undead.....potions and alchemical supplies for the desert traveller, weapon polishes of remarkable qualities, various other alchemical supplies such as Nerv, Liquid light, trail bars for the long journeys, endurance elixers, clearwater tablets, daystrider capsules all sorts really. What you need it for? Oh ya also I have some cold beacons, made em myself. What components you needing then?"

Scanning the room Marcelus finds a few magical auras. A couple on Azbar, a fading aura on the bucket of golden slop and magic residue on the mop. Looking upwards and about you find there to be lingering magical auras on numerous objects that make it hard to discern what is magic and what isn't. One strong aura though that you clearly locate is on the unusual hanging serpent that adorns the rafters.

HereticNox
2009-11-03, 10:27 AM
Marcelus focuses his gaze on the large serpent hanging from the rafters. With a mild interest, Marcelus points his finger up at the monstrosity "What might that be, I find it interesting. Some curative potions, of mild strength and some basic components for magic."

Jair Barik
2009-11-03, 10:31 AM
Azbar looks startled at what Marcelus has just said. "You get out of here meesta! Your no welcome here anty more! Out! Out! Go on be gone, we don't serve your kind here no more, I don't want no trouble so you be going now or I'll call the guard on you! Or worse! I know Darden meesta! You get out now or I call him on you okay! All of you out!" I repeatedly points at the door as he says this and defensively holds up his mop, dripping gunk all over the shop in the process.

HereticNox
2009-11-03, 10:44 AM
Marcelus raises his hand defensively and the air around him grows calmingly. "Let's take a deep breath, I didn't mean to upset you. It was only a passing interest. I certainly don't want the guard involved, I was just curious about it. It's just an interesting memento."

Beguiling influence activate :smallwink:
taking ten for a 29 diplomacy check