PDA

View Full Version : Eberron builds advice

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 12:26 PM
Okay, recently, I spent a couple days going over the ECS, RoE and MoE books. I've come up with a number of crazy, semi-delicious builds that I hope to use some day. Now, I want to playground's opinions on them, and any suggestions to modify them.

Changeling rogue 5/ Cabinet Trickster 5/ Warshaper 4/ Assassin 6
The basic concept is, you guessed it, infiltration and elimination. He doesn't need to hide weapons, warshaper lets him make his own. He can read people's minds, and thought-trick stun them at will. Death attack would be easy to pull off, because you're the guy's best friend, nobody would look twice to see you staring for three rounds. Problems include not getting to the death attacks fast enough, not that effective in a brawl, and the DM hating you for eliminating all his plotted-out characters.

Shifter barb 5/Weretouched Master 5/ warshaper 4/ barb 6
Stretchybear. At fourteenth, you have ~50 str when raging, 15 ft of reach, fast healing, and, depending on your stacking, either 2d6 claws, or 4d6 claws. Evil, yet strangely satisfying. Problems, lack of rage usages, useful for little outside of battle.

Warforged Monk X
This might actually work. Plating isn't technically armor, depending on your DM, and can be enchanted, making you ACTUALLY have a decent armor class. Battlefist allows you to enchant your unarmed strike and takes your damage up a notch. All those immunities help fill in the gaps left by monk abilities, and there are warforged feats that synergize well. Spiked body, Jaws of Death, Silver tracing? Problems: Warforged have a Wis penalty, and monk is, well, monk. Also, non-cool DMs will say plating is armor for monk abilities.

Daelkyr Half-blood Scout X
Throwing scarab Symbiont means you get to lay down an extra dose of skirmish damage every round as a swift action. Plus, makes a great concealed weapon. Problems: Not very high on the power scale.

Halfling Ranger/Druid/Paladin
DINOSAURS! Also, debating if I should try to develop some way to mix a paladin's mount with the Knight class that I could propose to my DM.

Drow Scout X
Mixing it up with a combination of Xen/drik boomerangs, long knives, and a scorpion chain makes a pretty effective combination. With drow skirmisher's bonus, you even synergize a little. Plus, it's just an awesome concept. Problems: LA. Multiple weapons makes enchanting not fun.

So, comments? Ideas? Any other eberron-builds that rock especially hard? Any advice on ways to improve these? Am I wasting thread-space?

Tyndmyr
2009-10-06, 12:50 PM
I suspect plating is armor...Does it not say that it counts as armor for the purposes of anything that grants bonuses for being unarmored?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-06, 01:03 PM
I suspect plating is armor...Does it not say that it counts as armor for the purposes of anything that grants bonuses for being unarmored?

For once, the Sage provided a useful ruling. Mithral Plating doesn't count against the Monk's unarmed bonus, but Adamantine does (because Adamantine plating puts you over a light load for some reason).

In this, along with select others, instance I'd go with the Sage's ruling. It makes Monks happy.

PinkysBrain
2009-10-06, 01:10 PM
Shifter barb 5/Weretouched Master 5/ warshaper 4/ barb 6 Stretchybear. At fourteenth, you have ~50 str when raging
I'm guessing you didn't see the errata. I love the original Weretouch Master ... but after the errata you are just stuck with taking 2 feats and 4 levels in a prestige class just to be able to shift 3 times a day for very subpar bonuses (pounce is nice, but there are other ways to get that).

Also, non-cool DMs will say plating is armor for monk abilities.
And nothing of value would be lost ... an easy RAW way of getting armor enhancements makes the monk a little better, but in the end it's still a monk.

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 01:20 PM
I'm guessing you didn't see the errata. I love the original Weretouch Master ... but after the errata you are just stuck with shifting taking 2 feats and 4 levels in a prestige class to get it 3 times a day for very subpar bonuses (pounce is nice, but there are other ways to get that).

And nothing of value would be lost ... an easy RAW way of getting armor enhancements makes the monk a little better, but in the end it's still a monk.

I ignore the errata, because it's so incredibly sub-par with the revision it's not even funny. This is mostly theoretical, mind, so I don't actually intend to sic a 50-str monstrousity on my DM. I might sic it on my players, tho.:smallbiggrin:

Meh. With the battlefist too, it's actually kinda close to being on-par with the barbarian. Still needs a little work, tho.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 01:32 PM
Daelkyr Half-blood Scout X
Throwing scarab Symbiont means you get to lay down an extra dose of skirmish damage every round as a swift action. Plus, makes a great concealed weapon. Problems: Not very high on the power scale.

Halfling Ranger/Druid/Paladin
DINOSAURS! Also, debating if I should try to develop some way to mix a paladin's mount with the Knight class that I could propose to my DM.

Drow Scout X
Mixing it up with a combination of Xen/drik boomerangs, long knives, and a scorpion chain makes a pretty effective combination. With drow skirmisher's bonus, you even synergize a little. Plus, it's just an awesome concept. Problems: LA. Multiple weapons makes enchanting not fun.

How does a throwing scarab get to throw there thing as a swift action?

I belive halfling paladin 5/beastmaster1/halfing outrider/x is better mounted build especialy if you can get your gm to let you take a fleshraker.

and the drow scout does the presicion dmg carry over onto the bounces of boomerangs?

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 01:44 PM
How does a throwing scarab get to throw there thing as a swift action?

I belive halfling paladin 5/beastmaster1/halfing outrider/x is better mounted build especialy if you can get your gm to let you take a fleshraker.

and the drow scout does the presicion dmg carry over onto the bounces of boomerangs?

Aww, crap. I must have misread it. I though it was grab and throw as a swift action.

I don't think beastmaster applies to paladin mounts, and paladins in general are kinda sub-par.

I don't think it carries to ricochets, but if you miss, you can try again next turn.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 01:46 PM
I don't think beastmaster applies to paladin mounts, and paladins in general are kinda sub-par.

I don't think it carries to ricochets, but if you miss, you can try again next turn.

No but its better then druid/ranger and paladin the beast master lets you qualify for devoted tracker... which lets you stack your paladin mount stuff with the animal companion stuff making a quasi super mount.

and agreed..

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 02:01 PM
No but its better then druid/ranger and paladin the beast master lets you qualify for devoted tracker... which lets you stack your paladin mount stuff with the animal companion stuff making a quasi super mount.

and agreed..

Ahh, see, you gotta mention that sorta thing. That changes the whole dealie. Does outrider stack for both mount and animal companion, or just one or the other? Natural bond would help.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 02:05 PM
Ahh, see, you gotta mention that sorta thing. That changes the whole dealie. Does outrider stack for both mount and animal companion, or just one or the other? Natural bond would help.

Natural bound does help... due to stacking rules.
The outrider i belive counts for both AC and mount.
Theirs another PRC that increases one or the other which i belive you want to do the AC

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 02:08 PM
Natural bound does help... due to stacking rules.
The outrider i belive counts for both AC and mount.
Theirs another PRC that increases one or the other which i belive you want to do the AC
I think throwing wild plains outrider in there might be fun, too. Counts for paladin mount/animal companion, three levels, and you get a full attack on a mounted charge.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 02:11 PM
Check out the book Dragonmarked. There is the VERY cool PrC called Blade of Orien. Its like Nightcrawler on crack, but only for primarily short ranged teleports. The 10th level gives you Shadowpounce. Add in some Swordsage on the front and back ends or take Quicken Spelllike Ability (or Quicken Dragonmark) and you've got a pretty fun multipouncer too. Full BAB and 4 skill points/level from a decent list is pretty solid. GREAT when combined with gestalt!

Admiral Squish
2009-10-06, 02:18 PM
Check out the book Dragonmarked. There is the VERY cool PrC called Blade of Orien. Its like Nightcrawler on crack, but only for primarily short ranged teleports. The 10th level gives you Shadowpounce. Add in some Swordsage on the front and back ends or take Quicken Spelllike Ability (or Quicken Dragonmark) and you've got a pretty fun multipouncer too. Full BAB and 4 skill points/level from a decent list is pretty solid. GREAT when combined with gestalt!

I think everything is great with gestalt. It's like chocolate. You can put gestalt on anything an it's suddenly delicious. I kinda want a hot gestalt sundae now...

As awesome as that sounds, I can't find Dragonmarked in my library, which makes me sad.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 02:19 PM

It is great.
Especialy if you can pick up the sun school feat from C. Warrior (ususaly a monk Dip) and you can make an extra attack after teleporting.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 02:54 PM
It also gives you the ability to Force Pull stuff to you, and hostilely teleport people short distances (read....off a cliff, or outside of a moving Lightning Rail). Its pretty much badass in a distilled form.

Djibriel
2009-10-06, 03:35 PM
I like the Changeling build, though I would probably trade out the Warshaper level, however powerful, for more Assassin levels and/or 3 Factotum levels. Death Attack is Int-based, and Factotum 3 gets Int. mod. to all Str. and Dex. skills (including ever-important Initiative) and a few floating IP you can spend to boost your saves/AC/attack rolls whenever you see fit. Doesn't hurt that Factotum is THE Eberron Base Class if you ask me.

I have no crunch-related issues with the Warforged Monk and Drow concepts, but the fluff doesn't appeal to me. Eberron monks in my mind are either Kalashtar (vast majority) with a few Paladin/Monks from Thrane and Flayer Monks worshipping the Dark Six strolling about. A Warforged who fights with his body sounds like a Warforged trained as a Fighter. Drow as a whole are difficult to play as PCs since they're so exotic to Khorvaire that they're likely to be puzzled by doors, but whatever you want to play, I guess :smalltongue:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-06, 03:43 PM
I like the Changeling build, though I would probably trade out the Warshaper level, however powerful, for more Assassin levels and/or 3 Factotum levels. Death Attack is Int-based, and Factotum 3 gets Int. mod. to all Str. and Dex. skills (including ever-important Initiative) and a few floating IP you can spend to boost your saves/AC/attack rolls whenever you see fit. Doesn't hurt that Factotum is THE Eberron Base Class if you ask me.

I have no crunch-related issues with the Warforged Monk and Drow concepts, but the fluff doesn't appeal to me. Eberron monks in my mind are either Kalashtar (vast majority) with a few Paladin/Monks from Thrane and Flayer Monks worshipping the Dark Six strolling about. A Warforged who fights with his body sounds like a Warforged trained as a Fighter. Drow as a whole are difficult to play as PCs since they're so exotic to Khorvaire that they're likely to be puzzled by doors, but whatever you want to play, I guess :smalltongue:

ya but the death attack is so usless... plus isn't 4 warshaper the one that lets you do change as a swift action?