PDA

View Full Version : Probably stupid question

Bouregard
2009-10-06, 05:18 PM
One thing bugged me for quite a year, where exactly is the difference between Coca Cola LIGHT and Coca Cola ZERO? The german labels aren't of great help.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-06, 05:21 PM
Marketing.

''light'' was aimed at women and ''zero'' was aimed at men.

That is really the only difference.

Bouregard
2009-10-06, 05:26 PM
Marketing.

As I suspected then... so I should stop ordering a Coke Light out of habit....

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-06, 05:28 PM
As I suspected then... so I should stop ordering a Coke Light out of habit....

Defy gender roles by drinking Light instead of Zero! Act as a living cipher to Coke's marketing departments!

I notice you said 'Light' - that's what it's called in the USA? Is that because of negative connotations of the word 'Diet'?

Lolzords
2009-10-06, 05:29 PM
I think that it's: Light is sugarfree and tastes different to the normal coke and Zero is sugarfree but tastes the same as normal coke.

Bouregard
2009-10-06, 05:30 PM
Defy gender roles by drinking Light instead of Zero! Act as a living cipher to Coke's marketing departments!

I notice you said 'Light' - that's what it's called in the USA? Is that because of negative connotations of the word 'Diet'?

It's called "Coca Cola Light" in Germany.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-06, 05:31 PM
It's called "Coca Cola Light" in Germany.

It's 'Diet' here. How strange. Thanks for the info, anyway.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 05:58 PM
Coke Zero definitely does not have the Diet Coke aftertaste and, if I were blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference to normal coke.

raitalin
2009-10-06, 06:05 PM
Coke Zero is sweetened with "Splenda" (sucralose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose)) and Diet Coke (or Coca-cola Light in your case) is sweetened primarily with aspartame (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame).

I personally feel the Zero's carbonation is stronger and has less aftertaste. Zero was marketed primarily to men since Diet Coke has traditionally been marketed to women, and they didn't want people to stop drinking Diet Coke.

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 06:11 PM
The various coke-zeroes (I'm a big fan of Cherry Coke Zero) contain acesulfame potassium blended with the usual aspartame for a better sugar substitute taste.

EDIT: ^ It only contains sucralose in China. ...Not sure why. Reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_zero).

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 06:16 PM
Oh god, splenda. That stuff...

Well, if you have a little of it, or on occasion, no worries, but in excessive amounts, yeegh. It (and most other artificial sweeteners like it) are hugely stronger than normal sugar, so if you take enough of them often it screws with your taste buds, and eventually you can barely taste sweet without a huge amount of sugar in anything.

raitalin
2009-10-06, 06:26 PM
D'oh, looks like I was totally wrong on that one, could've sworn I saw the "Splenda" tag on Zero.

Yeah, looks like Diet is 100% aspartame sweetened and Zero is a blend of aspartame and Acesulfame Potassium.

SoD
2009-10-06, 06:59 PM
One has no sugar, the other has zero sugar.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-06, 07:16 PM
What was the super caffeinated Coke called? Was there ever a super caffeinated Coke?

tribble
2009-10-06, 07:20 PM

No, It's Diet Coke in the US. the OP says his labels are in german, so prolly not the US.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-06, 07:21 PM
No, It's Diet Coke in the US. the OP says his labels are in german, so prolly not the US.

Yeah, he cleared that up for me. It's often possible to find foreign labels on Coke bottles here in Scotland, particularly in newsagents and corner shops.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 08:27 PM
What was the super caffeinated Coke called? Was there ever a super caffeinated Coke?You mean Jolt Cola? That wasn't a Coke product, but it was popular for like six minutes when I was in high shool. :smallcool:

MethosH
2009-10-06, 08:30 PM
Isn't a stupid question. The answer actually depends on your country.
The coke formula varies between countries.

But most of the times the mainly difference is what they use to replace to sugar. And I'm not even sure if "light" is sugar free. At least in brazil for something to become "light" you only need to cut 25% of anything... ANYTHING.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-06, 09:01 PM
You mean Jolt Cola? That wasn't a Coke product, but it was popular for like six minutes when I was in high shool. :smallcool:

That's what you drink when you're on a mans energy drink bender ... at least in these parts it is.

bluewind95
2009-10-06, 11:17 PM
I believe that the difference is that, since Zero is aimed at men, they added a small amount of potassium to it. I THINK it comes in the label, but I can't be sure.

SoD
2009-10-06, 11:30 PM
What was the super caffeinated Coke called? Was there ever a super caffeinated Coke?

It's called coke. They also made a hot, coffee-flavoured version of coke called coffee.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 01:56 AM
On a related note, "Coca-Cola Classic" always struck me as a misnomer, as it's NOT their original formula. If they sold their ACTUAL original formula, they could make billions, just as long as they find a place to hide when the feds show up.

I also like how, vanilla crops did so well one year that both Coke & Pepsi made contracts or whatever, Coke released Vanilla Coke which was reviled by the majority of the masses, so Pepsi, stuck with making a vanilla cola beverage, went with "Pepsi Vanilla: The not-so-vanilla vanilla." Like, "Ok, we know you don't like vanilla in your cola, so we didn't put a lot in. You can barely taste it, we swear. Buy it please?"

HellfireLover
2009-10-07, 02:07 AM
So, am I the only person here who thinks Coke Zero tastes like muddy rainwater squeezed through a hill-walker's sock? The only coke I'll tolerate is Cherry Coke.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 02:17 AM
So, am I the only person here who thinks Coke Zero tastes like muddy rainwater squeezed through a hill-walker's sock? The only coke I'll tolerate is Cherry Coke.

I wouldn't know what Coke Zero tastes like. I figured if I don't like their other versions of Coke, why try Zero? Well, Coke is good in Slurpee form, but that's quite a different matter altogether. I'm more of a Pepsi person. It's sweeter and doesn't burn nearly as much.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 02:33 AM
Coke released Vanilla Coke which was reviled by the majority of the masses, Really? I love Vanilla Coke. And when I used to work at Dairy Queen (back in the late 80s) I had a LOT of people request it.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 02:39 AM
Really? I love Vanilla Coke. And when I used to work at Dairy Queen (back in the late 80s) I had a LOT of people request it.

I know plenty of people DID like it. I found it to be an improvement because the result didn't burn as much as regular Coke... But most people I've met hated it. It's hated by enough for people to say "Everyone hated it", but liked by enough to always get a response to that statement of "Hey! I liked it!" It's a confusing "Most, but not anywhere near either half or all" kinda "most".

Just few enough liked it, apparently, that it wasn't quite viable for Coke to keep making it.

Athaniar
2009-10-07, 02:41 AM
Vanilla Coke is the perfect, most excellent drink. It is ambrosia.

Also, I think there's some difference between Light and Zero. Zero tastes worse than Light in my opinion. But then again, it's been some time since I last tasted either. I only drink "normal" and occasionally Vanilla (a small store where I live imports it from the US).

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 03:21 AM
Just few enough liked it, apparently, that it wasn't quite viable for Coke to keep making it.Nah, I buy it all the time to mix with my rum. According to Coke's official website (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/brands/product_list_v.html), they not only still make the Vanilla Coke, they make Vanilla Coke Zero too.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 03:33 AM
Nah, I buy it all the time to mix with my rum. According to Coke's official website (http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/brands/product_list_v.html), they not only still make the Vanilla Coke, they make Vanilla Coke Zero too.

Weird... I think it's been years since I've SEEN a bottle of it.

Maybe it's just not sold in New York any more then...

arguskos
2009-10-07, 04:07 AM
Yeah, Vanilla Coke is pretty common stuff. I know tons of folk that really seem to love it. Not sure why.... :smallconfused:

Berserk Monk
2009-10-08, 03:20 PM
Marketing.

No. Light is spelt L-I-G-H-T and zero is spelt Z-E-R-O.

Tirian
2009-10-08, 04:36 PM
Really? I love Vanilla Coke. And when I used to work at Dairy Queen (back in the late 80s) I had a LOT of people request it.

I wish they would sell it in that sort of way. Sell packages of cherry and vanilla syrup that you can squeeze into a bottle of Coke.

I think every local bottler makes the decision about what to sell in their communities, and it can be strange. For example, in my town they sell Diet Cherry Coke, but only in cans. If you want a 2-liter bottle, you have to buy Cherry Coke Zero, which as mentioned before tastes like evil. So I had to switch to Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry to get diet cola with the cherry flavor to kill the nutrasweet aftertaste.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-08, 04:46 PM
Coke Zero is awful, really. Nothing like the normal Coke.

Oh, we have three types of Coke in Turkey: normal, Light and Zero. Oh, and other brands, but they are even more awful than Coke Zero.

I also collect Coke from different countries. So far I've had Coke from Italy, UK and Greece.

Eldan
2009-10-08, 05:50 PM
Well, Zero is the only coke I actually like... the normal one is way too sweet and Light is just ugly.

Well, I usually shake it a few times first to get all the superfluous gas out.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-08, 07:11 PM
You mean Jolt Cola? That wasn't a Coke product, but it was popular for like six minutes when I was in high shool. :smallcool:

That's the stuff. I love it so much.