PDA

View Full Version : solution to my walking problem.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 05:49 PM
I have a slight problem. after long periods of walking my ankles start to really hurt. Does anybody know of a good way to fight this problem?

thubby
2009-10-06, 05:51 PM
ride a bike?

TheBST
2009-10-06, 05:51 PM
Does anybody know of a good way to fight this problem?

Seeing a Doctor. Or buying a bigger size of shoe.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-10-06, 05:54 PM
I would suggest a doctors visit. As what you describe could be a variety of issues. Is it more of a muscular issue. or a skeletal/joint one.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 05:54 PM
Shoes that provide ankle support, like boots or high tops. Seeing a doctor would not be out of line either.

raitalin
2009-10-06, 06:09 PM
You might be able to save some money by hitting up a orthopedics shop ( Good Feet store or something like it) there's likely something strange about the way your feet are shaped or your gait, and most of them can help you find a support that's comfortable for you.

For instance, I have flat feet so unless I wear arch supports my lower back starts hurting if I stand for more than a few hours.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 06:23 PM
Riding a bike is kind of impractical when you're going through Gencon.:smallwink:

Jacklu
2009-10-06, 06:30 PM
Definitely see a doctor. But I would suggest boots and such as well. It's what I used to use when my ankles were bad.

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 06:34 PM
Y'know, when I'm in full gear and hiking dozens of miles every week, I don't get sore at all. But if I'm out of shape and take a long hike, I get sore arches, sore ankles, sore knees, sore hips, you name it, something's going to hurt. Being on your feet a lot is not something you can just jump into, just like running or swimming its something that should be trained up over time.

toddex
2009-10-06, 06:35 PM
Are you over weight?

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 06:52 PM
is being 160 pounds overweight if you're about 6 feet 2 inches?

TheBST
2009-10-06, 06:55 PM

Sounds underweight to me.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 08:01 PM
Seems to me like a muscular problem, so...

1.) Get an elastic resistance band, and sit down on the floor, legs straight in front of you. Loop the band around one ankle, and hold the ends firmly in the hand on the side of the ankle being worked (Left ankle, left hand. Right ankle, right hand). Push down, with control, as if there was a gad pedal underneath your foot, and you're accelerating. Each downward extension should be 3 or 4 seconds and each upward contraction should be 3 or 4 seconds. Repeat for the opposite leg. Remember to only move the ankle and not the entire leg. Try 4 sets of 20, then switch legs.

2.) Stand on one leg for 45 seconds. Repeat for the opposite leg. Now move to a desk or the back of a chair, and gently place your hands on it ((NOTE: this is for a bit of guidance, NOT support)) and close your eyes. Stand on the first leg for 45 seconds. Repeat for the opposite leg.

3.) Stand near that same desk of chair, with feet at a comfortable distance, as if you were just standing there. place your hands loosely on the support, and raise yourself to stand on the balls of your feet. Take 3 seconds going up, and 3 seconds going down. Do this at 4 sets of 20. In between every 20, Stand for 60 seconds. then rest and repeat.

4.) Try and spell out all of the letters of the alphabet with one foot, then switch to the other. Do twice twice with each foot.

While this seems like it will take a fairly lengthy amount of time (it won't), it's vital to strengthening your ankles. Also, there is no particular order to do these in, but It's start with floor exercises (1 and 4) and then go to the standing exercises (2 and 3).

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-06, 08:45 PM
I'd suggest walking it off. Alternatively you could rub some dirt in it.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 09:45 PM
4.) Try and spell out all of the letters of the alphabet with one foot, then switch to the other. Do twice twice with each foot.

I have to ask. Really? this really helps your feet? I don't mean to sound insulting it just sounds a bit......... crazy.

going to do it anyway. I just had to ask.

valadil
2009-10-06, 10:17 PM
Try different shoes. I have to wear insoles or I get a back ache after a mile. If you don't want to see a doctor to get recommendations about shoes, at least try something else and see if you can walk with more or less pain. I actually find sandals more supportive than most shoes.

St.Sinner
2009-10-06, 10:58 PM
Aside from what everyone has brought up so far, it might be worth checking if you get enough calcium in your diet. Since you're 6"2 and 160 lbs, that's quite a lot of strain you're placing on your ankles and it's possible your bones aren't strong enough. 1000 mg of calcium a day is what most guides recommend for adults, and if you're a teenager you'd need more.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-06, 11:09 PM
Riding a bike is kind of impractical when you're going through Gencon.:smallwink:

Nah, you could do it.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-06, 11:44 PM
Nah, you could do it.

and then get thrown out. WHich would defeat the purpose of a four day badge.

toddex
2009-10-07, 08:32 AM

Not according to the bull**** BMI!

I have no idea why your ankles are giving you problems other then support and shoe issues like everyone has said :(

Mystic Muse
2009-10-07, 01:02 PM
Not according to the bull**** BMI!

:smallconfused:the what?

St.Sinner
2009-10-07, 10:46 PM
:smallconfused:the what?

Body Mass Index - it's an index for calculating whether or not someone is overweight, based on their height and weight. At 6 foot 2 inches and 160 lbs, your Body Mass Index is 20.5, which would be in the normal range for adults. However, this system doesn't apply to people under the age of 20. Growing children and teenagers need to go by a different scale.

varthalon
2009-10-08, 12:23 PM
Hard question to answer since there are so many things that could be causing the problem.

I probably wouldn't run right this instance to your doctor unless its really painful, onset suddenly, and/or doesn't go away, but I'd definantly bring it up at your next physical.

The suggestions for trying different shoes (better fit or higher ankle support) might be worth the try in the meantime.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-08, 03:07 PM
Like any medical problem, just replace you legs with robot ones.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-08, 07:15 PM
I have to ask. Really? this really helps your feet? I don't mean to sound insulting it just sounds a bit......... crazy.

going to do it anyway. I just had to ask.

It builds and stretches muscle groups and tendons around you ankle. It's better than saying "Move your angle around in different shapes and formations to stretch the interior and exterior tendons and muscle groups". This way, you have a set of motions to do.

:smallannoyed:... If I didn't help you, I wouldn't have taken the 10 minutes to post it.

snoopy13a
2009-10-08, 08:49 PM
It probably is just overuse and isn't really anything to worry about. You can try icing your ankles after walking.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-11, 01:51 AM
Mr. Mud's on target. If that doesn't work, I'd see a physical therapist. In some places you can go straight to the physical therapist, in other places you need a referral from your doctor.

The therapist can assess your feet and ankles and tell you exactly what exercises will help, as well as order any shoe inserts necessary. For example, if you have very flat feet, that could be putting a lot of strain on your tibialis posterior which could cause your medial (inner) ankles to hurt. The right kind of arch support in your shoes could make a big difference.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-11, 02:36 PM
Mr. Mud's on target.

Why, thank you :smallbiggrin:.