PDA

View Full Version : (Any) Hilarious Solutions

Deth Muncher
2009-10-06, 06:53 PM
Has anyone here ever played Apples To Apples? I'm going to bet most of you have, but for those of you who haven't, it's like this: One player draws a "adjective" card, and each other player tries to most closely match it with "noun" cards in their hand. For example, I might draw "Cold," and people might match it with cards like "Nuclear Winter," "My ex-girlfriend" and "Hitler."

/thread, due to Godwins Law.

Anyway.

Technically, whoever gets the closest match wins the round, but that match is decided by the person who drew the adjective card, so someone might pick the "for the lulz" card, which would of course be Hitler.

/thread again. Sorry guys.

So in RPGs, has anyone ever come up with a hilarious solution to something? My thought would be:
DM - Okay, you're fighting Chuul.
Me - *Greater Creations a vat of boiling butter directly above said Chuul*

No, that didn't happen, but so help me it will if I ever fight Chuul.

BTW, anyone offended by me calling Hitler funny, apologies. I'm Jewish, if it makes you feel better.

Paulus
2009-10-06, 07:16 PM
Has anyone here ever played Apples To Apples? I'm going to bet most of you have, but for those of you who haven't, it's like this: One player draws a "adjective" card, and each other player tries to most closely match it with "noun" cards in their hand. For example, I might draw "Cold," and people might match it with cards like "Nuclear Winter," "My ex-girlfriend" and "Hitler."

/thread, due to Godwins Law.

Anyway.

Technically, whoever gets the closest match wins the round, but that match is decided by the person who drew the adjective card, so someone might pick the "for the lulz" card, which would of course be Hitler.

/thread again. Sorry guys.

So in RPGs, has anyone ever come up with a hilarious solution to something? My thought would be:

BTW, anyone offended by me calling Hitler funny, apologies. I'm Jewish, if it makes you feel better.

Hilarious solutions to in game problems?

You mean like, farting into a tin can to distract a guard?
Throwing a stick to confuse a winter wolf?
Using a giant magnet on a warforged and screaming "HOLD PERSON!"?
Applying grease to stairs to surprise pursuit?
Throwing a bucket of sand at a Beholder?
Crit killing a Pudding with a spoon?
Sneaking by guards in a wooden box?
Use a Tan bag to spring a trap?
Stuff like that?

Nope, can't say that I have.

Volkov
2009-10-06, 07:24 PM
I once drew a handle-bar mustache on an awakened Adamantine golem, boy was he mad.

gdiddy
2009-10-06, 07:31 PM
DM sends a 14th level fighter after a level 6 party to makes them run.

Party sorceress is not at all phased. She proceeds through DM notes to put 2 Explosive runes on the causeway he's going to pass over when he pursues us. She leads us up to a arrow slit, where she whips out a spy glass and tells my character to read the writing on the ground just as he's running by.

He eats the initial damage without flinching, but rolls two successive 1's to resist the blast from the second one which was 5 feet away. The poor bastard was blown off the wall and fell 600 feet down a mountainside to his death. Yeah, she got full EXP for it. Spyglass spotter and explosive runes = saveless anti-problem mines.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-06, 07:34 PM
Apples to Apples? What does that have to do with anything? :smallconfused:

Volkov
2009-10-06, 07:37 PM
DM sends a 14th level fighter after a level 6 party to makes them run.

Party sorceress is not at all phased. She proceeds through DM notes to put 2 Explosive runes on the causeway he's going to pass over when he pursues us. She leads us up to a arrow slit, where she whips out a spy glass and tells my character to read the writing on the ground just as he's running by.

He eats the initial damage without flinching, but rolls two successive 1's to resist the blast from the second one which was 5 feet away. The poor bastard was blown off the wall and fell 600 feet down a mountainside to his death. Yeah, she got full EXP for it. Spyglass spotter and explosive runes = saveless anti-problem mines.
What would have helped a level 15 party take on a max hit dice Paragon awakened Adamantine golem? Who to compensate for not having a con score, got an additional +3 bonus to his other stats and a +7 bonus to hit points per hit dice and to constitution checks and fortitude saving throws?

Mongoose87
2009-10-06, 07:41 PM
What would have helped a level 15 party take on a max hit dice Paragon awakened Adamantine golem? Who to compensate for not having a con score, got an additional +3 bonus to his other stats and a +7 bonus to hit points per hit dice and to constitution checks and fortitude saving throws?

That sounds better than having a Constitution score.

Volkov
2009-10-06, 07:47 PM
That sounds better than having a Constitution score.

Not to mention he had four Unholy power, Axiomatic Power, All energy Blast, All creature type dread bane, keen, everdancing +30 Adamantine Gargantuan Great Axes of speed. Oh the horror....Oh gods the horror.

Paulus
2009-10-06, 07:48 PM
Not to mention he had four Unholy power, Axiomatic Power, All energy Blast, All creature type dread bane, keen, everdancing +30 Adamantine Gargantuan Great Axes of speed. Oh the horror....Oh gods the horror.

Greasy floor?

Marbles?

maybe a giant pit of mud?

Flight?

Volkov
2009-10-06, 07:54 PM
Greasy floor?

Marbles?

maybe a giant pit of mud?

Flight?

Anyone who tried to fly was shot down by meteor swarm and epic arrow traps. My old DM was a major prick.

holywhippet
2009-10-06, 07:55 PM
My DM told me about something his cousin pulled in a game he was running. While walking through the forest they came across a balor (IIRC). It wasn't meant to be an opponent for the players - they were meant to be suitably afraid an listen to what it had to say. His cousin though was playing a wizard and was a master of using spells tactically. He blasted the balor then used either expeditious retreat or haste to keep out of range of it as it kept teleporting next to him. Finally he used some scrolls of black tentacles on it. The DM kept failing his throws to either teleport free or escape via a strength check. The tentacles finally beat it to death.

Another incident which was more amusing than hilarious. We were on our way back from an expedition into a kobold lair when a minor nobleman and his guards came across us. We'd tracked down the lair after the kobolds raided a farm which we rescued. The villagers had called for help and the nobleman had been sent in response. However, these soldiers were all from a culture that was "invading" the territory we were in. Mostly it wasn't open conflict but there was a lot of resentment, especially from some of our party members. So when the minor nobleman asked if we'd been off fighting kobolds our party druid decided to play dumb and acted like he had no idea what a kobold might be. This failed on many levels. Firstly, we were adventurers and thus clearly carrying arms and armour. Secondly, some of us were clearly wounded. Thirdly, the minor nobleman had our description as the ones who'd run off the kobolds from the farm. So he didn't believe us in the slightest. I saved the situation by saying that our druid had taken a stomach wound during one of our fights and that it had become infected making him delirious. The player played along by spouting out gibberish to convince him.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-06, 08:20 PM
Apples to Apples? What does that have to do with anything? :smallconfused:

That was my introduction. Specifically, to introduce the concept of finding answers that are obviously incorrect, but are funny enough to work.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-06, 08:31 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html was once done with a tarrasque and immovable rods, IIRC. Shoot for the stars.

sadi
2009-10-06, 08:41 PM
1st edition game, the party thief is level 5 charges an ancient green dragon... with a hand crossbow. It was so great the DM just did a double take, you do what... the rest of the party closed the door and walked away very fast.

MCerberus
2009-10-06, 08:54 PM
2 sessions ago I gave my PCs some relatively useless rocket boots powered by Alchemist's Fire. While hovering boots would be good, zoom zoom go forward boots usually involve a lot of pain.

Last session they managed to spread rumors about their boots being so wonderful and mighty knowing that the forces of evil were spying. An evil higher-up decides to steal them. The PCs camp out a few nights by a cliff waiting for the theft. Sneaky Mcspy grabs the boots thinking he's outwitted the guy on watch. Queue acme death into a canyon. Seeming like a decent spot to break, I'm now working on something horrible to happen when they go to loot their 'kill'.

My benevolence being infinite, I'm letting them recover the boots.

Barmacral
2009-10-06, 09:10 PM
At the beginning of the current campaign we walked into a gnll camp. Previously to this by scouting it out we'd determined that it probably held 30-40 gnoll's total, and we'd already killed two parties of them, one small one the previous day, and a fairly large one earlier that morning. This meant the Barbarian was out of Rage, and myself, the Sorcerer was really low on spells for the day. Our third party member was a Soulknife (played by the DM, as the rest of the members of the group were not in the campaign yet... it was the first session ever for us). All of us were at less than full health.

Well, we estimated by what we'd determined thusfar that there would probably not be more than 6-8 gnoll left in the camp. So we walked in without even doing spot checks. Turns out there was 15 CR 2's, a CR 3 bugbear and a CR 3 Gnoll.

We beat them, it was close though, and the DM did not fudge any rolls for us (he felt we deserved what we had coming for walking in blind and over-confident). It is probably the most fun I've had all campaign, especially with the DM's look of disbelief after the fact when we won.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-06, 09:22 PM
I once used a leg of ham to test an entire room for traps. One section at a time.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-06, 09:47 PM
In a Hero System game there was a military base we we're supposed to take out, I don't remember why.

Rather than attack the base, we loaded our handy dandy space ship with stolen bowling balls. We dropped them on the base from a height that guaranteed that the the bowling balls would reach their terminal velocity.

It was pretty cool.

Thrawn183
2009-10-06, 10:11 PM
I see your Hitler and raise you one Helen Keller.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-06, 10:12 PM
In a Hero System game there was a military base we we're supposed to take out, I don't remember why.

Rather than attack the base, we loaded our handy dandy space ship with stolen bowling balls. We dropped them on the base from a height that guaranteed that the the bowling balls would reach their terminal velocity.

It was pretty cool.

In a Hero campaign I was in, I played a robot with a LAZOR in my chest. We were in space. An armada of ships start coming after us. Another player, basically playing a giant amoeba, picks me up and starts waving me around outside the ship as I blast the ships. It was like a...10d6 RKA? It was as strong as powers were allowed to be in that oneshot.

sdream
2009-10-07, 09:35 AM
I see your Hitler and raise you one Helen Keller.

Great card game. Best ever I saw myself:

Adjective - Senseless

Losing play (HOW!) - Helen Keller

pendell
2009-10-07, 10:28 AM
The nethack roguelike is full of moments like this.

Cockatrices, for example, turn everything to stone that touch them.

But not if you're wearing gloves

Much hilarity ensues as a character kills a cockatrice, wields it as a weapon, then rampages through the lower levels of hell leaving statues of Orcus, Demogorgon, Baalzebub, and countless others behind.

Or there's the time I was attempting to fire the bow of Artemis at a target but pushed the wrong key and, rather than firing an arrow at a target across a lake, *threw* the bow into the lake.

I was able to recover it by slipping on rings of polymorph and polymorph control, changing into a Xorn (which can walk on the lake bed but doesn't need to breathe), descending to the bottom of the lake and walking out again, triumphantly carrying the bow.

-- or there's the time I faced off with a Titan, a spellcasting giant which was levitating over water and throwing boulders at me. Desperate and without better options, I fired a wand of polymorph at it ...

.. and the Titan blew it's saving throw. 80% magic resistant but it still screwed up.

It turned into a fox or similar innocuous creature. It then discovered that foxes don't know how to fly. The creature went into the deep, deep moat with an almighty SPLASH. Then the boulders it was carrying fell on top of it, into the water, also. I giggled madly at that for hours.

-- Or there's the time I faced off with a great big thing, I think it was some kind of troll. It was standing on top of a patch of ice. I fired a wand of fire at the creature, melting the patch of ice. SPLASH.

-- Speaking of trolls, the corpses have a nasty habit of coming back to life. So dump them in the water. They come back to life and promptly drown. Hehe.

-- Using a tinning kit to make Troll Veg-o-mite works well, too.
-- or there's the time when, facing off vs. the BBEG (the wizard of Yendor), I polymorphed into a purple worm and ATE HIM ALIVE. AIEEE *NOM NOM NOM*.

-- Using a ring of conflict to make the wizard of yendor fight his clone and the evil High Priest of Moloch in a three-way fight. It turns out, when they're not using magic, the three hit like kidnergartners.

-- Using a ring of conflict (which causes everything on screen to fight everything, regardless of alignment or experience level) when a horde of bad guys are being backed up by a purple worm. The purple worm proceeds to eat everything medium size or smaller. It then slithers off, and I still hear the occasional 'Burrrp!' in the maze as some luckless mind flayer or suchlike encounters the beastie. He hehehe.

-- Abusing 'charm monster' to wander around the dungeon with a small army of liches, mind flayers, dragons etc. in tow.

Happy memories ...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Loxagn
2009-10-07, 12:06 PM
My bard has once before successfully seduced a dragon.

The DM was not happy with me, especially once I slipped some potion that causes sleep and used a power that inflicted sleep to make the dragon unconscious and therefore helpless.

Cue pulling out my greatbow and having the entire party simultaneously coup-de-grace the dragon.

We came away with the entire hoard and a metric feckton of sellable dragon remains.

I am also forever banned from using bluff or diplomacy checks on enemy NPC's.

There was also the time the party rogue nailed himself in the crotch and then sliced his finger off with a pair of cursed throwing daggers. Within about five seconds of each other.

Oh. Someone in the party dueled a the party paladin. Paladin lost, victor decided to teabag while he was on the ground.
The paladin was wearing a spiked helmet. Hilarity ensued.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-07, 12:38 PM
My favorite hilarious solution was in a game of 3.5 DnD. The party was serving as mercenaries guarding a caravan of halfling merchants since we were going to the same place anyway. We came upon a rust monster in the road that wanted our gold/weapons/etc. Cue several moments of sheer panic, because none of us have non-metal weapons except the ranger who has a bow. The ranger starts shooting, but the rest of us are seriously considering running away so we don't lose our cool stuff. Finally, one of us shouts at the Half-Orc Barbarian with 4 Int, "Throw something at it!" The player in a stroke of genius notices that the closest thing to his character is one of the halflings driving the carts. The player replies with, "How much damage does a halfling do when thrown?" We of course crack up, then look up the improvised weapons rules. Finally the DM tells him what to roll for damage. He follows with, "Now roll damage for the halfling," which of course added to the hilarity. All of us with the Strength for it immediately chucked a halfling at the rust monster, who was finally scared and confused enough to run away.

Fayd
2009-10-07, 01:01 PM
This one happened just last session for me. In the system I was using (custom made by the DM) one can wield any weapon as long as they've been trained to use it. Our priestess does not know how to use the shortbow we just found, but she had already signed up for the archery competition in the tournament...there was a little miscommunication...Most of our party is gone. The paladin is still shopping for equipment. The archer and the assassin had gone off to a party. The only people at "camp" (we're in a town but too poor to afford an inn) was the priestess, myself, and our gigantic orc barbarian (he's part giant!) named Fluffy. Fluffy had just bought a brand new greataxe and was cuddling with it like it was a teddy bear.

Fluffy is the only person here who knows how to use a bow. I manage to wake Fluffy up, convince him to help, using 2 cantrips (which I'm able to use at will due to how the system works) WITHOUT GETTING BISECTED! How? First, I use Mage Hand to lift a piece of chalk out of Fluffy's pack (he munches on chalk fairly frequently) and use Prestidigitation to give the chalk the taste, and then smell, of freshly cooked bacon.

Bacon-Chalk for the WIN.

Random832
2009-10-07, 01:35 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just attack its weak point for massive damage?

Zaydos
2009-10-07, 01:39 PM
I once had a player playing a wyrmling brass dragon take a bottle of alchemist fire in its mouth and ram into a wizard's legs with it to disrupt his casting. Does that count? I can still see it crashing bottle first into his leg becoming a flaming dragon the size of an average cat.

Paulus
2009-10-07, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just attack its weak point for massive damage?

Now now, no reason to get crabby...