PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Thri-kreen

Bibliomancer
2009-10-06, 07:56 PM
Thanks to supplements like Sandstorm and the later Monster Manuals there is an overabundance of sentient races that live in deserts, in addition to a plethora of non-sentient species. However, being in a desert doesn't rule out other races wandering by (the thri-kreen appeared to be riding ankhegs, a monster from the first monster manual that are native to warm plains, like the thri-kreen themselves). As a result, there are dozens of as yet unseen species that could appear in the current story arc.

Why one would you like to see appear and why? Please include possible link to the plot.

Personally, I think that the thri-kreen are an excellent choice to start out with, being a distinctive humanoid race with occasional psionic abilities and the implication that they are going to some hidden plain (slightly less arid area) hidden in the desert. If no such source of water were around, the thri-kreen would act like the Fremen of Dune and kill the travelers for their water.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-06, 08:04 PM
Oh, thri-kreen! So that's what those things are! I didn't notice their four arms at first.

As the current plot hasn't begun to develop yet, it could go any direction, and almost any desert creature could potentially make an appearance. My personal picks are the iconics, the sphinx and the genie. Either one would have great plot potential.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-06, 08:13 PM
As the current plot hasn't begun to develop yet, it could go any direction, and almost any desert creature could potentially make an appearance. My personal picks are the iconics, the sphinx and the genie. Either one would have great plot potential.

What are the iconics? Are they in Sandstorm? I know of the book but I haven't read it.

Blue Ghost
2009-10-06, 08:37 PM
I just meant the iconic desert monsters. There are enough desert monsters in the Monster Manual without having to pick up Sandstorm, but if Rich decides to use Sandstorm, that would be cool too. Come to think of it, I don't think he used anything from Stormwrack for the seafaring arc.

Bibliomancer
2009-10-06, 08:39 PM
I just meant the iconic desert monsters.

Ah. Sorry for misunderstanding. I would prefer the genies, though. I think we already did riddles. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html)