PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Swashbuckling at a Range and Threatening Squares...

Zovc
2009-10-06, 08:54 PM
I want to be able to use my Swashbuckler's Insightful Strike on a weapon that threatens more squares than my normal melee reach as a medium creature. ((Insightful Strike works on any light weapon or other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse))

Not only does a Whip not threaten squares, but it provokes attacks of opportunity in melee combat.

Tavar
2009-10-06, 09:14 PM
Use the scorpian whip from Sandstorm. It's like the whip, but it does leathal damage and threatens. Plus, if you're DM isn't paying attention, it's a 1d34 weapon! Eat your heart out, greatswords.

Zovc
2009-10-06, 09:24 PM
A whip does nonlethal damage as, well. Does this whip you're speaking of deal damage through armor and natural armor?

Does it do 1d3 damage or 1d4 damage?

JackQ
2009-10-06, 09:26 PM
..... spiked chain qualifies as well.

Faleldir
2009-10-06, 09:26 PM
The weapon you're looking for is a kusari-gama. It's in the DMG. Dual-wield them and multiclass to Rogue.
By the way, are you planning to use the Vexing Flanker trick to flank with yourself?

Zovc
2009-10-06, 10:06 PM
I couldn't find the Kusari-Gama in the SRD, but I did find it on danddwiki.com.

The Kusari-Gama doesn't say it's weapon finessable, but it is like a weaker Spiked Chain. I do like it more (as far as style goes).

Any other weapons?

I plan on being a Swashbuckler 3/ Stuff X/Elocator 10... I want to get a lot of attacks of opportunity.

Tavar
2009-10-06, 10:12 PM
I believe the Kusari-Gama is a light weapon, and therefore automatically finessable.

As for the whip, notice how I said it deals Lethal Damage? Yes, this does in fact mean it deals lethal damage. I'm not sure about the dice size, I just know that it has a typo, which leads to the hilarious 1d34 damage. I think it would be the same dice size as a regular whip.

Mongoose87
2009-10-06, 10:15 PM
The Spiked Cheese is probably your best bet.

Ernir
2009-10-06, 10:30 PM
Kusari-gama is in the DMG, page 144. It is a light weapon.

And the Scorpion Tail-Whip... it deals lethal damage on critical hits only. As far as I can see, it does not say anything about being a reach weapon either. =/

Zovc
2009-10-06, 10:40 PM
Is the Kusuri-Gama considered a double weapon? (Like the Spiked Chain?) Can I fight Proficiently with one of the blades on it, or would I have to also take TWF feats? (>.<)

NoldorForce
2009-10-06, 10:47 PM
Races of Eberron has the Drow Scorpion Chain - quite similar to the spiked chain in many ways. It even functions as a spiked chain for the purposes of weapon proficiency, Focus, and Specialization. Differences? Bigger critical range, slashing instead of piercing...and the smallest base damage of ANY two-handed weapon I've seen (1d6).

NoldorForce
2009-10-06, 10:59 PM
Is the Kusuri-Gama considered a double weapon? (Like the Spiked Chain?) Can I fight Proficiently with one of the blades on it, or would I have to also take TWF feats? (>.<)If you want a more authoritative source, the DMG has statistics for such on pages 144-145. In particular, it's a light weapon, so it cannot be a double weapon. (Only two-handers can be double weapons.)

Though speaking of double weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#doubleWeapons), you only take TWF penalties when you TWF with it; otherwise, you can wield it as a standard two-hander, which allows for fun with Power Attack.

Keld Denar
2009-10-06, 11:36 PM
Secrets of Sarlona also has the exotic weapon Spinning Sword. Its a 1handed reach weapon that is finessable. This would leave your offhand open, and with Oversized TWF, you could concieveably duel wield them.

The coolest part about it is that its kinda like the weapon that Ivy from Soul Calibre uses. Hawt stuff!