PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Advice

Jack Squat
2009-10-06, 09:50 PM
OK. So my headphones are on their way out. I'm looking to buy a new pair.

I don't need anything super-fancy, but decent sound quality would be nice. I like the ear-bud style, preferably with ear hooks, as they stay on better when I run. Since I have to do this about once a year, I'd like to keep it at a fairly low cost, but I don't want absolute crap ones.

Any suggestions on what ones to look for?

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-06, 10:02 PM
etymotics ER-6i

sturdy build, snug, block out a lot of noise (35db) and great sound quality

pricey but worth it

Stormthorn
2009-10-06, 11:33 PM
I gotta buddy that likes Skull Candy.

Im not sure if they make earbuds though.

Erothayce
2009-10-07, 12:17 AM
Most amazing sound for the price and they are warrantied. Get them and never look back. http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/full-metal-jacket-p-121.html

MCerberus
2009-10-07, 01:05 AM
Logitech makes a $15 model that sounds decent and even comes with a mic. (wal-mart)

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-07, 05:36 AM
SENNHEISER

Trust me; don't buy Skullcandy. They won't last, and the quality is average. Having skullcandy headphones around a music junkie is like wearing Hot Topic clothes around indie kids, around here. You could do worse, like buying Logitech or something, but really, they're not worth it.

I prefer Sennheiser. Expensive, but worth it. I have four pairs of sennheiser wireless headphones in my studio so I can play music without annoying the people under me, and believe me, they're worth every penny.

In the end though, lots of people have different opinions, and I'll probably attract some flak for mine just like I aimed some at Skullcandy. Whether they buy them for their price, or look I'm not going to berate people for wearing their favoured type of headphones. At least not to their face

Jack Squat
2009-10-07, 06:05 AM
OK, I think I should clarify some. These are going to be used for my mp3 player...so things like headsets/over-the-head headphones aren't even going to be considered.

I've also got a minimum wage job that I work 2 days a week. I've already said that my current trend is that I have to replace these once a year. I'm not looking for high-end, so as nice as some things you guys say are, I simply can't afford.

I'm against skull-candy simply because I know they're overpriced for what they are. One of my friends has a set, and they have the same quality as the $8 pair I used to get (I really liked those for the price). They also have a bit of an ego, as do the people who generally wear them.

Rettu: Do you have any personal experience with the OMX-80s? I do like how they have a 2 year warranty, considering my record with headphones. Must say that they're a little above what I'm wanting to set aside for a pair, but other than that they seem to be just about exactly what I'm looking for.

Erothayce
2009-10-07, 11:21 AM
I'd like to think that someone who would have an ego would have an ego regardless of the headphones they are wearing. I like my full metal jackets. I have yet to find a pair of $50 ear buds that sound half as good. And I can replace them for free. Gogo warranty.

Stormthorn
2009-10-07, 06:30 PM
Most amazing sound for the price and they are warrantied. Get them and never look back. http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/full-metal-jacket-p-121.html

^
^
^
That was the friend i was mentioning in my first post.

I have yet to find a pair of $50 ear buds that sound half as good.
I settles for 1/4 as good and got my earbuds for 10 bucks.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-07, 07:00 PM
Rettu: Do you have any personal experience with the OMX-80s? I do like how they have a 2 year warranty, considering my record with headphones. Must say that they're a little above what I'm wanting to set aside for a pair, but other than that they seem to be just about exactly what I'm looking for.

Sennheiser make earbuds too, I had a really fantastic pair ($80 AU) that I've never been able to replace after my cat chewed through the cord. I haven't used the OMX-80's myself, (I dislike that style of headphone) but I'll put my name on the line that Sennheiser won't let you down, if you treat them right. They are a little pricey, but worth it, in my book.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-07, 07:09 PM
i can also vouch for sennheisers quality

Partof1
2009-10-07, 07:55 PM
Panasonic is a brand that has worked for me. I like Skull candy's sound quality, but the buds don't seem to last. My one friend would also vouch for panasonic.

Alteran
2009-10-08, 12:00 AM
I have these (http://www.csctoronto.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6610) Sennheisers, and I really love them. They may be a bit more expensive than what you're looking for, but I think they're worth considering anyway. They sound and feel great, and for good headphones they're really not very expensive.

arguskos
2009-10-08, 12:07 AM
I have Bose headphones, both over the head and some earbuds. If you can afford them, I highly recommend them. The sound is FANTASTIC beyond measure, but they're expensive.

Archonic Energy
2009-10-08, 02:47 AM
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/headphones/audio_headphones/in_ear_headphones/index.jsp

seriously, they are worth it.
i doupt i could go back to cheap ones.

I have Bose headphones, both over the head and some earbuds. If you can afford them, I highly recommend them. The sound is FANTASTIC beyond measure, but they're expensive.
What have you got?
i've got QC3s as my primarys with a pair of tri-port incase of battery failure.