PDA

View Full Version : 4e - Uncle Travelling Matt

Eorran
2009-10-06, 10:59 PM
OK, we have a 4e game getting started. One of the PC's has an uncle (NPC) who will be involved in the campaign from time to time. He's based on Uncle Travelling Matt from Fraggle rock, right down to the hat and moustache.
He's also an elf.

I need some suggestions for this character's build. The PC's are starting at lvl 11, and Matt is going to show up a little later on, so level 14-15. I was thinking Bard, but Ranger might work.

This character is intentionally a bit goofy, not really built for combat (but he's on his own in the wild, so he should be able to survive somehow). Matt's adventurous and prone to misunderstanding the world around him, although he manages to get by pretty well on his luck and wit. I haven't fully fleshed out his role in the campaign, other than "get in over his head and get rescued by the PCs a few times"

Grynning
2009-10-06, 11:12 PM
OK, we have a 4e game getting started. One of the PC's has an uncle (NPC) who will be involved in the campaign from time to time. He's based on Uncle Travelling Matt from Fraggle rock, right down to the hat and moustache.
He's also an elf.

I need some suggestions for this character's build. The PC's are starting at lvl 11, and Matt is going to show up a little later on, so level 14-15. I was thinking Bard, but Ranger might work.

This character is intentionally a bit goofy, not really built for combat (but he's on his own in the wild, so he should be able to survive somehow). Matt's adventurous and prone to misunderstanding the world around him, although he manages to get by pretty well on his luck and wit. I haven't fully fleshed out his role in the campaign, other than "get in over his head and get rescued by the PCs a few times"

If this is an NPC for 4th edition, you don't really need to build him like a PC. Look at the NPC creation rules in the DMG. You would make him a level 14-15 NPC, and you could add a class template you found appropriate (such as Bard or Ranger; I would also maybe suggest Sorcerer or Rogue, both of which have lots of escape and evade "survivalist" powers).

Remember, his ability to "survive" in this case is purely narrative, not mechanical, so it doesn't matter if he could really go toe-to-toe with a monster when you rolled dice. He could just have great stories about having done so. If you for some reason ever need to use him in combat, maybe have him use one really flashy attack really well, but then be otherwise occupied while the PC's do most of the work.

Edit: NPC rules are on page 186 in the DMG, the class templates for the basic 8 are in the same section. I believe the templates for the newer classes are in DMG 2, but I don't have that book yet so I can't tell you for sure.

FoE
2009-10-07, 02:30 AM
4E NPCs only need stats if they're going to be fighting/your players try to kill him.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 02:31 AM
4E NPCs only need stats if they're going to be fighting/your players try to kill him.

Or if they'll be using any of their skills/abilities for any other reasons, such as Insighting a player's Bluff.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-07, 08:46 AM
If your set on making him a PC/npc I would say bard would work very well. Just don't give hima good weapon.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-07, 09:36 PM
He's based on Uncle Travelling Matt from Fraggle rock, right down to the hat and moustache.
He's also an elf.

Elves don't have mustaches.

FoE
2009-10-07, 11:41 PM
Or if they'll be using any of their skills/abilities for any other reasons, such as Insighting a player's Bluff.

Well, that too.

Tiki Snakes
2009-10-07, 11:57 PM
Elves don't have mustaches.

These people; These people have the answer to this problem.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2008/11/13-bridesmustache3.jpg
It is a Mystery.

herrhauptmann
2009-10-08, 12:07 AM
gotta better one :)
All arguments are invalid, because he's got a windmill in his beard.
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/1599/slide_1599_22159_large.jpg