PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Are (Film)

kpenguin
2009-10-07, 01:38 AM
How does everyone feel about this adaption of this childhood classic? After seeing the trailer a few times, I feel cautiously optimistic.

FoE
2009-10-07, 02:17 AM
It looks terrifying. I figure it should make about $50 at the box office from people mistakenly buying the wrong ticket.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-10-08, 03:47 AM
I don't think anything can be worse than the musical version...

I would have said that there wasn't enough plot for a film, but that doesn't seem to be an excuse these days...

Linkavitch
2009-10-08, 12:25 PM
It looks interesting. It'll be cool to see how they make a feature-length movie out of a children's book with less than twenty sentences.

MCerberus
2009-10-08, 12:27 PM
I don't think anything can be worse than the musical version...

I would have said that there wasn't enough plot for a film, but that doesn't seem to be an excuse these days...

They stretched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs out to feature length, this movie actually has potential. You're right however, they can stretch anything to any length.

thegurullamen
2009-10-08, 12:28 PM
The music from the trailer coupled with the soft-spoken voice acting coming from those huge heads = this generation's flying monkeys/Tim Curry's Pennywise.

chiasaur11
2009-10-08, 12:50 PM
The music from the trailer coupled with the soft-spoken voice acting coming from those huge heads = this generation's flying monkeys/Tim Curry's Pennywise.

You want scary?

Someone put the tunnel from Willy Wonka on youtube. Backwards.

Rogue 7
2009-10-08, 12:52 PM
You want scary?

Someone put the tunnel from Willy Wonka on youtube. Backwards.

Morbid curiosity compels me to ask for a link.

And this looks pretty good. Like they've really captured the aesthetics of the book.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-08, 12:57 PM
This book was one of my childhood favourites. Where the Wild Things Are still lurks mythic in the shadows of my subconcious. I will probably not be going to see this at the cinema. Rest assured, however, that it will be watched.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/Kologotov/MaxsRoom.jpg

chiasaur11
2009-10-08, 12:58 PM
Morbid curiosity compels me to ask for a link.

And this looks pretty good. Like they've really captured the aesthetics of the book.

Don't say I didn't warn you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udd8svocU8o&feature=player_embedded)

Squirrel_Domain
2009-10-08, 01:21 PM
Don't say I didn't warn you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udd8svocU8o&feature=player_embedded)
YEEEARRRRGH! :headasplode:

I'm actually somewhat optimistic about the movie. It seems as though it has the right feel, but I'm worried the lengthened plot might mess it up.

Kaelaroth
2009-10-08, 01:22 PM
After seeing the trailer a few times, I feel cautiously optimistic.

My feelings precisely.

Rogue 7
2009-10-08, 01:37 PM

Aaaand...Cthulhu'd! (http://i34.tinypic.com/2sayu05.jpg)

Link has language.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-08, 01:38 PM
The author of the book had a direct hand in the filming, picking the director etc etc. Its his work still. How can -he- mess up his own story? Really. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/09/when-spike-met-maurice-bringing-where-the-wild-things-are-to-the-screen.html)

chiasaur11
2009-10-08, 01:43 PM
The author of the book had a direct hand in the filming, picking the director etc etc. Its his work still. How can -he- mess up his own story? Really.
I'd ask Lucas. He should know.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-08, 01:46 PM
The prequels wern't terrible movies. They were terrible fan movies. They made tons of money, they made the common popcorn munching soda slurping stooge who'd never heard of Star Wars before the remakes, and hadn't seen them untill after Episode 3 happy. Unlike this, i've never heard once that Lucas was happy with how they turned out.

This isn't like that. Its unfair to judge a mans work from what you remember as a little kid. Its a bit biased, if not fully close minded. Clearly, the author is pleased. That should say something.

warty goblin
2009-10-08, 01:48 PM

Thank you for providing this excellent cure for my sleep addiction. Now I can reclaim those eight wasted hours a day for useful activities, such as standing in the corner and gibbering.

MCerberus
2009-10-08, 01:52 PM

Is it bad that I spent most of the time laughing and searching for hidden messages?

Mr. Scaly
2009-10-08, 01:53 PM

There must be something wrong with me...I laughed my nonexistent tail off. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-10-08, 02:20 PM

*Brain quickly realizes in full what just happened*

THat was SCaRy, Theta fasinfe sdabf! BACKRA DONADX SANITY! BNSIOFNOISNFIOSHNGIOHIOH!OI!H!!!!!

Sorry I thinketh I just goeth insane!!

Gullara
2009-10-11, 05:46 PM
*shudders and bleaches brain* I will never watch this movie, it just looks bad.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-11, 06:16 PM
The author of the book had a direct hand in the filming, picking the director etc etc. Its his work still. How can -he- mess up his own story? Really. (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/09/when-spike-met-maurice-bringing-where-the-wild-things-are-to-the-screen.html)Didn't see the Hitchhiker's Guide movie, huh? Okay, it wasn't as bad as some fans said, but it still managed to be quite a bit worse than any of the previous versions. Not sure whether to blame Adams, who had a strong guiding role in the screenplay and pre-production, or Adams's death, which kept him from being around to see it to the finish.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-11, 06:21 PM
My thoughts were on the Where the Wild Things Are movie that it seemed like Hollywood was completely running out of ideas for movies. :smallyuk:

I didn't think that the book had really enough of a plot to even allow a movie. Seriously! I admit I have a pretty short memory, but all I remember in the book was that a boy was being bad so he was sent to his room (without supper), he parties with monsters for a few pages, gets homesick and comes home.

Personally, I don't even see why people like the book. :smallconfused:

Innis Cabal
2009-10-11, 06:27 PM
Didn't see the Hitchhiker's Guide movie, huh? Okay, it wasn't as bad as some fans said, but it still managed to be quite a bit worse than any of the previous versions. Not sure whether to blame Adams, who had a strong guiding role in the screenplay and pre-production, or Adams's death, which kept him from being around to see it to the finish.

I did. And...it was ok. I blame his death honestly. Lucky for us, this guy lived to see the end of it.

Em Blackleaf
2009-10-11, 06:33 PM
Well, Where the Wild Things Are was one of my favorite books ever when I was a little kid. I would agree with there being too little plot to last for a whole movie. I still want to see it, but I won't be surprised if I'm disappointed.

warty goblin
2009-10-11, 07:08 PM
I want to see it because it's got big beautiful fluffy monsters in it. That's really all it takes folks.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-11, 08:52 PM
You people bitching do realize the author has said that the movie is an improvement over the original book and absolutely loves it right?

littlequietguy
2009-10-11, 09:34 PM
Reminds me of Shadow of Collosus a little. I still have a Where the Wild Things Are poster up! :smallcool:

Reverent-One
2009-10-11, 10:23 PM
I'm looking forward to the movie. It looks adorable (and that's not a word I use a lot), and since it's with Sendak's work and approval, I'm rather optimistic about it.

The Tygre
2009-10-11, 10:45 PM
Reminds me of Shadow of Collosus a little. I still have a Where the Wild Things Are poster up! :smallcool:

Great. Like I didn't feel guilty enough about killing the Colossi. Now I can imagine that they were giant fuzzy monsters made by a little boy's imagination so that he would feel loved.

Oh my God.

Max is Dormin.

Kyouhen
2009-10-11, 10:48 PM
I'm looking forward to it. The monsters look like they came straight out of the book, and the movie looks like it's going to be one of those really touching stories. It looks like they built up the reasons why Max created his little dream world. I'm hoping this is going to be one of those cases where kids can watch the movie and like it with all the funny monsters, but will have a deeper level for adults too.

Myrmex
2009-10-14, 01:00 AM
This is Spike Jonze's biggest movie. The studio execs pretty much gave him free reign to make the movie he wanted. So it won't be "kiddified," like the trash Pixar puts out (no offense Pixar fans).

He spent something like a year casting for the boy. I think the movie spent a couple years in production, too. It was all filmed in a burned out forest.

Reverent-One
2009-10-14, 04:47 PM
This is Spike Jonze's biggest movie. The studio execs pretty much gave him free reign to make the movie he wanted. So it won't be "kiddified," like the trash Pixar puts out (no offense Pixar fans).

"Kiddified"...? It's based on a children's book. How does one "kiddify" that?

Croverus
2009-10-14, 05:06 PM
"Kiddified"...? It's based on a children's book. How does one "kiddify" that?

I remember reading Cloudy with a chance of meatballs when I was younger. Techncially people died, it didn't say it but if you read it after growing upa bit you realized there's no way some of those people could have survived!

The pixar version was childish.

kpenguin
2009-10-14, 05:13 PM
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs the movie was made by Sony Pictures, not Pixar.

People do die in Pixar movies, you know.

Reverent-One
2009-10-14, 05:13 PM
I remember reading Cloudy with a chance of meatballs when I was younger. Techncially people died, it didn't say it but if you read it after growing upa bit you realized there's no way some of those people could have survived!

First off, Pixar did not make the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movie. You have Sony to thank for that one.

Secondly, you have a point, there are children's books that one could kiddify if one wanted. But I really don't think "Where the Wild Things Are" is one of them, other than changing the monsters designs to be less "scary".

Vic_Sage
2009-10-14, 05:23 PM
IT'S A CHILDREN'S BOOK AND MOVIE! Childish is kind of a requirement.

Jamin
2009-10-14, 07:33 PM

He spent something like a year casting for the boy. I think the movie spent a couple years in production, too. It was all filmed in a burned out forest.

Pixar never kiddifis anything. Pixar makes family movies. If this movie is not kiddified it will bomb as it should. It is based on a kid's book so it should be for kids.

Moglorosh
2009-10-14, 09:23 PM
Didn't the Incredibles feature one of the protagonists hiding behind the corpse of another superhero in order to avoid being detected by the same kill-o-bot that had done in said superhero? Don't we also see someone get sucked into the jet engine of an airliner, not once, but twice? Wasn't the Incredibles made by Pixar?

Lodlampa
2009-10-14, 09:50 PM
It looks terrifying. I figure it should make about $50 at the box office from people mistakenly buying the wrong ticket.

"What do you say to parents who think 'Where the Wild Things Are' film may be too scary?"

Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/216997/output/print :smallsmile:

Jamin
2009-10-14, 10:00 PM
Reading that interview makes me not want to see it.

Obrysii
2009-10-16, 08:38 AM
I've read a few reviews so far, and all are very positive regarding it.

The AV Club gave it an A-.

All except Rotten Tomatoes, where it is sitting at mid 60s percent.

Kyouhen
2009-10-17, 11:07 PM
Just got back from seeing this. I thought it was amazing. Very well done. Interestingly enough the 6-7 year olds in the audience were complaining about how it wasn't that great, while most of the adults were saying it was. :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2009-10-18, 03:29 PM
I saw it last night. If you try to judge it by the more conventional standards of a movie, then its not great, but that's not the point. The point is the feel to it, which works amazingly and goes perfectly with the book. It was very, very well done for what it intended to do, but you have to keep that in mind when judging it or it won't look very good.

Myrmex
2009-10-19, 10:18 PM
Saw it yesterday. Didn't like it. I don't think my jeans are tight enough to really appreciate it, though.

Dirk Anger
2009-10-20, 12:22 AM
Saw it yesterday. Didn't like it. I don't think my jeans are tight enough to really appreciate it, though.

Wow, for a minute I thought this thread would stay civil. Now, admittedly I'm biased because I love the Director who made 'Wild Things' but I think that the honest effort he made and the respect he had for the book put him a step above being emo-bashed, especially when films like 'Stepfather' are now playing.

Any chance you want to elaborate on your dislike beyond the boring snark? I very much enjoyed this film and would love to come to a middle ground with a different opinion.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-20, 12:32 AM
I work in Target, and there's a Portrait Studio which is offering a deal for parents who want to drag their kids in in costume.
One kid was wearing the costume that the kid in the book/movie has, and he was running around the store, giggling.

I want to see it for that reason alone.

Myrmex
2009-10-20, 07:38 AM
Wow, for a minute I thought this thread would stay civil. Now, admittedly I'm biased because I love the Director who made 'Wild Things' but I think that the honest effort he made and the respect he had for the book put him a step above being emo-bashed, especially when films like 'Stepfather' are now playing.

Any chance you want to elaborate on your dislike beyond the boring snark? I very much enjoyed this film and would love to come to a middle ground with a different opinion.

The movie was too cool for me.

[edit]
I realize that the snark went sailing over your head. Tight jeans was a reference to hipsters, not tweens.

Dirk Anger
2009-10-20, 10:18 AM
The movie was too cool for me.

[edit]
I realize that the snark went sailing over your head. Tight jeans was a reference to hipsters, not tweens.

I think we're looking for different things here. If I misinterpreted this (http://lifeinservice.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/brian-emo-01.JPG) with this (http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Dan/tightjeans.jpg), the end result is basically the same. Instead of saying anything about this movie, you're lumping it with a subculture and moving on.

So what, specifically, made this a bad experience for you? This is a discussion thread and rather than high-fiving other people who liked the film I would prefer someone with a different opinion. You need not respond if it will be in the vein of your last two posts, though.

ravenkith
2009-10-20, 06:19 PM
Speaking as someone who never read the book:

I was watching this film, thoroughly bored out of my mind, when I turned to my friend, who had seen read the book as a child, and I said:

"You LIKED this as a kid? God you were retarded"

His response?

"Yes, yes I was,"

BatRobin
2009-10-20, 08:02 PM
Didn't the Incredibles feature one of the protagonists hiding behind the corpse of another superhero in order to avoid being detected by the same kill-o-bot that had done in said superhero? Don't we also see someone get sucked into the jet engine of an airliner, not once, but twice? Wasn't the Incredibles made by Pixar?

Sir, you are BEYOND correct. Also, let's not forget the Hero-Tron, which showed all the heroes save the Incredibles and Frozone, saying 'TERMINATED' over all of them. And Gazerbeam's corpse.

However, Gazerbeam was done in by V.4, iirc. Mr. Par hid from V.8 or V.9, though. (bold part of quote)

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-20, 10:03 PM

I was watching this film, thoroughly bored out of my mind, when I turned to my friend, who had seen read the book as a child, and I said:

His response?

"Yes, yes I was,"

Ah, no way! The book was fantastic when I was a little kid, I'm not going back on that even if this film is dire.

Texas_Ben
2009-10-21, 08:30 AM
However, Gazerbeam was done in by V.4, iirc. Mr. Par hid from V.8 or V.9, though. (bold part of quote)

He actually was hiding from the little scanner-bot thing that the guy (Syndrome?) launched from his wrist.

thegurullamen
2009-10-21, 01:40 PM
He actually was hiding from the little scanner-bot thing that the guy (Syndrome?) launched from his wrist.

Yes, Syndrome. And true, it was a scanner but getting caught by the scanner was as good as death. And he still hid behind the bones of a long dead superhero. Pixar doesn't have the same qualms with death that other animation studios do.

Hell, Toy Story's antagonist was a metaphorical psychopath the likes of Dennis Rader. If it weren't for the protagonists being toys, the movie could be described as Gorn but with more plot.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-10-21, 07:19 PM
I friggin' loved it.

Btw, that kid? That was me at that age. Unnervingly so. If my mom ever sees it her jaw is gonna drop.

Hawriel
2009-10-23, 12:04 AM
So umm does Ellen Page have a son or little brother we dont know about? Ok joking but all through the movie I was thinking, this kid looks like Elen Page.

I thought the movie was amazing.

Jalor
2009-10-23, 07:31 PM
I just saw it. Not a "children's movie" by ANY stretch of the imagination. Between the whole "the Sun is dying" thing, Carol ripping off Douglas' arm, and the fact that the whole premise is Nightmare Fuel? It probably traumatized every single child in the theater. I loved it, though, probably because it was so grim.

I've already developed overcomplicated theories on each Wild Thing's role in Max's tortured psyche, but I don't feel like typing them up now.

Cheesegear
2009-10-23, 08:26 PM
This (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/1001-Where-the-Wild-Things-Are) review says the movie is quite good. And he's been on the money in most of the reviews he's done.

So, I'll be seeing WtWTA. Plus, Jim Henson puppets.

Jayngfet
2009-10-23, 09:30 PM
Saw it. Loved it. It was dark and kiddy at the same time. I came for the monsters, I stayed for the man eating, human bones, and limb tearing.

To be honest though there was lots of mood whiplash. Half the time I didn't know weather to laugh or shrink into my seat.

Hawriel
2009-10-28, 06:21 AM
I've already developed overcomplicated theories on each Wild Thing's role in Max's tortured psyche, but I don't feel like typing them up now.

As another poster has pointed out this movie was about childhood as apposed to being a childrens movie.

The monsters did represent portions of Max's psyche.

I really liked this movie. It was very tence for me. The way the wimzy of child like play could turn dangerous. Not just from what they where doing but the emotional turmoil that existed below the surface of the monsters was deadly. It showed how much an angry frightened child could be dangerous to themselves and others.

skywalker
2009-11-07, 02:21 AM
Just saw it tonight. So I'm going to semi-rez the thread.

As another poster has pointed out this movie was about childhood as apposed to being a childrens movie.

That was the director himself: "Yeah. The big disagreement is that they thought I was making a children's film and I thought I was making a film about childhood, and so, along the way ..."

I loved this movie. I spent most of it on the verge of tears, not afraid most of the time, but on the verge of (and in) tears.

Life is hard. Love makes it harder, but also makes it worth living. The characters in this movie were all very real, in my opinion.

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-08, 07:22 AM

His response?

"Yes, yes I was,"

You are sad, strange little man.

And you have my pity.