PDA

View Full Version : Spell Thematics

JellyPooga
2009-10-07, 01:58 AM
So, what's your favourite "theme" for your spells?

There's the obvious ones like lightning, skulls/bones and such, but does anyone have any particular favourites?

After a thread about Magic Missiles came up the other day, my new favourite has to be magic missiles as a theme; as silly as it might sound, if you think about it, it actually works remarkably well. Even stationary effects like the Wall spells can be represented by very fast moving magic missiles producing a de facto solid wall.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-07, 06:41 AM
Feathers, darkness, fire and swords/blades are common ones.

An unusual one I've seen used was wolves (the guy is a serious wolf fanatic).

oxinabox
2009-10-07, 06:58 AM
What about water?

Fireball that looks like water?

wizard: "Oh no your you on fire, let me put that out."
casts fireball of water.
victem: "AHH! the water! it just makes it burn more!"

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-07, 07:55 AM
Money. It was a wizard cult leader of a dead god of greed.

Toliudar
2009-10-07, 08:58 AM

I SO want to do this one now.

I had a caster who had every spell take shape from a pool of black goop in his backpack. Missiles and rays were gouts of the goop. Walls and summoned creatures flowed out and took shape, etc.

Evil the Cat
2009-10-07, 09:15 AM
I think the most amusing one I came up with was Spell Thematics: Hill Giants.
Exploding Hill Giant Fireballs, Hill Giant Phantasmal Steed, etc.

It made for some of the silliest imagery I've had in a while.

On a more serious note:

Paintings: The wizard used a paintbrush, and would paint the spells into existence.

Paper: For anyone who has seen Read or Die.

Fire: For people who want to play a master of fire, but still use other energy types!

Armar
2009-10-07, 09:38 AM
I'd have to say Spell Thematics: Bad theathre props. For example:

- Grease: a gnome assistant throw a bucket of grease on the target area.
- Bull's Strenght: mage puts stuffing inside her clothing.
- Fireball: a gnome assistant runs to the target, and throws a bucket of yellow and red paper shredding all around him.
- Mage Hand: the object moves, but you can see it hanging from small strings that move it.
- Mage Armor: the mage puts on a cardboard box with holes for head and arms.
- Mount: a wooden stick horse.
- Summon monster: gnomes dressed in monster suits.
- Enlarge person: a pair of stilts and oversized clothes.

And so on.

Johel
2009-10-07, 09:56 AM
Disguise Self
Invisibility
Major Image
Shadow Conjuration
Shadow Evocation
Shadow Walk
Shadow Conjuration, Greater
Shadow Evocation, Greater
Shades

This one is easy but effective for a Wizard.
Upside is, you always get the right spell ready.
Downside is, your spells will sometime fail and will cost higher slots than usual.
This can also provide a sorcerer with a larger spell selection.

El Dorado
2009-10-07, 09:56 AM
I'd have to say Spell Thematics: Bad theathre props. For example:

- Grease: a gnome assistant throw a bucket of grease on the target area.
- Bull's Strenght: mage puts stuffing inside her clothing.
- Fireball: a gnome assistant runs to the target, and throws a bucket of yellow and red paper shredding all around him.
- Mage Hand: the object moves, but you can see it hanging from small strings that move it.
- Mage Armor: the mage puts on a cardboard box with holes for head and arms.
- Mount: a wooden stick horse.
- Summon monster: gnomes dressed in monster suits.
- Enlarge person: a pair of stilts and oversized clothes.

And so on.

That is awesome.

JellyPooga
2009-10-07, 10:59 AM
Disguise Self
Invisibility
Major Image
Shadow Conjuration
Shadow Evocation
Shadow Walk
Shadow Conjuration, Greater
Shadow Evocation, Greater
Shades

This one is easy but effective for a Wizard.
Upside is, you always get the right spell ready.
Downside is, your spells will sometime fail and will cost higher slots than usual.
This can also provide a sorcerer with a larger spell selection.

Buh? What's the theme? Shadow magic? I wasn't asking for spell lists (though I guess you could theme your caster around a particular sub-set of spells), but rather for visual themes provided by the Spell Thematics feat...if you're unfamiliar with it, all it does (largely) is change the visual effect of all your spells to fit in with a particular theme...so if your theme was "shadows", regardless of what spell you cast, it will have some relation to shadows (but the effect remains the same): Fireball will be an explosion of shadowy darkness, Summoned monsters will emerge from a sinister patch of coalescing shadows, Bulls Strength might surround its recipient with a wreath of fortifying shadows, etc.

@Armar: That is awesome! I especially liked the Mage Hand one...you could of course extend that to higher forms of telekinesis and even potentially Hold/Dominate Person...I'm envisioning a number of strings attached to the target to make them look like a puppet who's had his strings cut (Hold Person) or being manipulated (Dominate)

Animefunkmaster
2009-10-07, 11:03 AM
Johel probably had a misfire, too many tabs open.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-07, 11:08 AM
Muffins and other sweet treats

Grease ---> cake batter
black tentacles ---> giant liquorice
fireball ---> a flying oven that opens its door at the enemies
floating disc ---> an unusually sturdy crepe/pancake
magic missile ---> magic muffin
various buff spells ---> sugar high

Fishy
2009-10-07, 11:25 AM
I saw 'Chains' done once. Summons were attached to the caster by weird spectral leashes, Grease was a tangle of chains that tripped you up, Magic Missile was a nasty lash, Mage Armor was chains wrapped around his body, stuff like that.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-07, 12:19 PM
I saw 'Chains' done once. Summons were attached to the caster by weird spectral leashes, Grease was a tangle of chains that tripped you up, Magic Missile was a nasty lash, Mage Armor was chains wrapped around his body, stuff like that.

Possibly inspired by the Dementia Summoner (https://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/Products/mtg%20art/Torment/Chainer,%20Dementia%20Master.jpg) himself.

Zaq
2009-10-07, 12:23 PM
I had a friend who took Spell Thematics: Ki Powers. He was a sorcerer who called himself a monk. Lived a monastic lifestyle, acted monkly, had max ranks in Bluff, and really genuinely seemed to believe that he was a monk. It was pretty cool.

Oh, and then he fluffed Disrupt Undead as "Laser Eye Beams." It took a few minutes for us to stop laughing enough to finish that fight.

The Neoclassic
2009-10-07, 12:30 PM
Muffins and other sweet treats

Grease ---> cake batter
black tentacles ---> giant liquorice
fireball ---> a flying oven that opens its door at the enemies
floating disc ---> an unusually sturdy crepe/pancake
magic missile ---> magic muffin
various buff spells ---> sugar high

I entirely approve. I myself was going to say "baked goods." :smallbiggrin:

Fireball ---> giant exploding red velvet cake?

J.Gellert
2009-10-07, 12:40 PM
Spell Thematics: Invisibility! :smallbiggrin:

But Spell Thematics: Chickens has got to be the best legal one.

Alternatively, tiny blue gnomes. Yes, smurfs. Fireball creates 200 tiny blue gnomes with torches. Magic missile sends 1-5 levels tiny blue gnomes flying unerringly to kick your enemy's private parts. Sleep creates one tiny blue gnome over each target's neck, and the smurfs proceed to karate-chop your foes at exactly the same time. Dismissal creates 4 tiny blue gnomes dressed like the ghostbusters, who shoot the outsider with laser beams.

Lapak
2009-10-07, 12:58 PM
Film Noir:

* Magic Missile: Gunshots ring out from an unseen source.
* Charm Person: Sorceress adopts mysterious, irresistible "femme fatale" attitude
* Sleep: A hand reaches out from the shadows to thump enemies in the back of the neck
* Dominate Person: Caster summons a manilla folder full of grainy blackmail photos
* Locate Creature: Caster finds a matchbook which continuously displays the direction of the target creature's current position.
* Contact Other Plane: Caster receives a mysterious phone call, unknown voice on the other end answers some questions in a threatening manner.
* Confusion: Caster creates a MacGuffin at the center of the burst. All creatures suddenly break out into bizarre behavior out of a desire to possess/avoid/destroy the MacGuffin before others can.

EDIT:
* Summon Monster (I-IX): Monsters appear as normal, but all are wearing dark trenchcoats and fedoras.

Johel
2009-10-07, 01:00 PM
Buh? What's the theme? Shadow magic? I wasn't asking for spell lists (though I guess you could theme your caster around a particular sub-set of spells), but rather for visual themes provided by the Spell Thematics feat...if you're unfamiliar with it, all it does (largely) is change the visual effect of all your spells to fit in with a particular theme...so if your theme was "shadows", regardless of what spell you cast, it will have some relation to shadows (but the effect remains the same): Fireball will be an explosion of shadowy darkness, Summoned monsters will emerge from a sinister patch of coalescing shadows, Bulls Strength might surround its recipient with a wreath of fortifying shadows, etc.

...Ok, misfire indeed. :smalleek:
I don't know the feat.
I understood it as a list of spells that could work together to produce a specific theme. Hence the "all illusion" wizard.

Signmaker
2009-10-07, 01:08 PM
I CHOOSE YOU, UNICORN!
Really, the spell description screams Pokeball.

Other favorites are Musical Notes for sonic spells, and phantasms of mimes walking against the wind for air spells.

Kulture
2009-10-07, 01:18 PM
Cleric of ST Cuthbert who was a thinly veiled Alexander Anderson clone had the theme of throwing knives, including his turning which was a barrage of them.

In the past my destruction spell has instead conjured pyramid head in all his skin-rippy glory.

Tavar
2009-10-07, 01:19 PM
Film Noir:

* Charm Person: Sorceress adopts mysterious, irresistible "femme fatale" attitude
* Sleep: A hand reaches out from the shadows to thump enemies in the back of the neck
* Dominate Person: Caster summons a manilla folder full of grainy blackmail photos
* Locate Creature: Caster finds a matchbook which continuously displays the direction of the target creature's current position.
* Contact Other Plane: Caster receives a mysterious phone call, unknown voice on the other end answers some questions in a threatening manner.
* Confusion: Caster creates a MacGuffin at the center of the burst. All creatures suddenly break out into bizarre behavior out of a desire to possess/avoid/destroy the MacGuffin before others can.

EDIT:
* Summon Monster (I-IX): Monsters appear as normal, but all are wearing dark trenchcoats and fedoras.

Okay, this is win.

Toric
2009-10-07, 03:34 PM
I have two:

Science Fiction!

* Various rays and missiles are fired from a very complex lockpick.
* Summoned monsters are alien in appearance, and appear in a shimmering field.
* Charm Person conjures a mind-control helmet that falls onto the victim's head.
* Whisper conjures a communicator in your hand, which makes a chirping noise when you use it.
* Planar travel is initiated by entering an absurdly spacious rectangular shack.
* Fireball is delivered via orbital laser, even indoors.

Comic Book!

* Mage Armor outfits you in a distinctive red and yellow costume.
* Web has a specific somatic component and always creates the sound *Fwip!* when cast.
* The Flight spell requires that you always extend one arm forward while airborn.
* Darkness takes the form of a swarm of bats.
* Enlarge Person inexplicably colors the target's skin green.
* Disguise Self conjures a thin black piece of fabric with holes cut out over your eyes. Or, alternatively, it changes your appearance to that of a merchant with spectacles.
*You are struck by a harmless bolt of lightning every time you change forms using the Polymorph line of spells.

arguskos
2009-10-07, 03:50 PM
*You are struck by a harmless bolt of lightning every time you change forms using the Polymorph line of spells. Vaguely, the word "Shazam!" can be heard in the background.
Sorta missed a vital bit there. :smallwink:

Korivan
2009-10-07, 04:09 PM
What about Love?

"Sure, they will laugh, they will all laugh. But who will laugh last when your raining death and destruction in the form of Hearts and Lollipops. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...hahahaha...hehehehehe...heh. ..sorry."

PId6
2009-10-07, 04:19 PM
I CHOOSE YOU, UNICORN!
Really, the spell description screams Pokeball.
Ghost Sound: Ghastly appears and starts making weird sounds.
Shield: Summon Shieldon to block attacks for you.
Grease: Muk spits a puddle of goo at the ground to make enemies slip.
Sleep: Butterfree! Use Sleep Powder!
Hypnotism: Hypno! Hypnosis!
Gust of Wind: Pidgeot! Whirlwind!
Spectral Hand: Haunter appears and touches things for you.
Lightning Bolt: A small yellow rat thing shoots lightning for you.
Phantom Steed: Go! Rapidash!
Telekinesis: Alakazam! Use Psychic!
Polymorph: NOW I AM A POKEMON!!!

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-07, 04:27 PM
I feel some poor taste is required for this thread.

Targeting Ray
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/masamune.jpg

Disguise Self
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fellow-engineer.jpg

Jump
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/betrayal.jpg

Alarm
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/halolz-dot-com-left4dead-zombieland-boomer.jpg

Meteor Swarm
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1568/halolzdotcombulletbillp.gif

Grease and/or Glitterdust
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-sniper-jarate-objection.jpg

Crushing Despair
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-starfox-trimeme-yodawg-kanyegate-wolfodonnell.jpg

Anticipate Teleportation
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-supermariobros-kanyewest-princessisinanothercastle.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to make bad jokes.

Dixieboy
2009-10-07, 04:27 PM
Film Noir:

EDIT:
* Summon Monster (I-IX): Monsters appear as normal, but all are wearing dark trenchcoats and fedoras.You win the game, pass start and collect seven internets.

Korivan
2009-10-07, 05:01 PM

Targeting Ray

Disguise Self
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fellow-engineer.jpg

Jump
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/betrayal.jpg

Alarm
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/halolz-dot-com-left4dead-zombieland-boomer.jpg

Meteor Swarm
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1568/halolzdotcombulletbillp.gif

Grease and/or Glitterdust
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-sniper-jarate-objection.jpg

Crushing Despair
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-starfox-trimeme-yodawg-kanyegate-wolfodonnell.jpg

Anticipate Teleportation
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-supermariobros-kanyewest-princessisinanothercastle.gif

For the love of all thats geeky, TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THE METEOR STORM PIC!!!!!

p.s. plese:smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2009-10-07, 05:05 PM
For a while I had a "Disco Mage". Everything from glitterdust to a mirror ball flaming sphere. Of course my DM killed him with rock (thrown from a giant).

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-07, 07:57 PM
For the love of all thats geeky, TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THE METEOR STORM PIC!!!!!

p.s. plese:smallbiggrin:

Halolz.com.

Ozymandias9
2009-10-07, 08:05 PM
[...Awesome Pics...]
Awesome pics are awesome. Thanks Sinfire!

Agrippa
2009-10-07, 08:23 PM

Targeting Ray

The photo for targeting ray really is tasteless. Come on, I like Aerith enough to put her in one of my own crossover five man bands! One that wasn't even nearly as dysfunctional as her own party. They'd actutally pay attention to what she said and wouldn't act in an overly ruthless or morally questionable way. That doesn't mean it's not funny, just really tasteless.

And to all those who say that healers are worthless, simple. Wait until after battle then break out the healing spells or only use them in combat if absolutely needed. I probably wouldn't allow wands of any curative spells but I would allow potions to be quaffed as a swift action, remove the third level cap and shorten their brewing times.

Myrmex
2009-10-08, 12:33 AM

Reminds me of the Coin attack in JRPGs where you throw gold at the enemy.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-08, 09:39 AM
The photo for targeting ray really is tasteless. Come on, I like Aerith enough to put her in one of my own crossover five man bands! One that wasn't even nearly as dysfunctional as her own party. They'd actutally pay attention to what she said and wouldn't act in an overly ruthless or morally questionable way. That doesn't mean it's not funny, just really tasteless.

Can't say I didn't warn you. You can accuse me of not bolding the warning though.

Besides, I play Skies of Arcadia. FF7 isn't my favorite RPG.

Cyclocone
2009-10-08, 10:03 AM
Im surprised people choose such gentle themes for their offensive spells.

I would choose something more... well, offensive, like 'goatse' or 'lemonparty'.

Just imagine!
Fighter: Puny man, what could you possibly do to me?
Wizard: Goatseball!
Fighter: Arghh! It burns! It burns!!!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't Google it.

JellyPooga
2009-10-08, 10:26 AM

I would choose something more... well, offensive, like 'goatse' or 'lemonparty'.

Just imagine!

:smallconfused: I don't get it...

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-08, 10:29 AM
:smallconfused: I don't get it...

Count yourself lucky. Do not Google it.

Kaiyanwang
2009-10-08, 10:32 AM

Just imagine!

With my last breath, I curse you and my curiosity..

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-08, 10:39 AM
Count yourself lucky. Do not Google it.

Hell, even the Wikipedia version isn't exactly safe on your mind. The TVTropes version is (check: Squick), but it has other problems...

industrious
2009-10-08, 10:40 AM
Spell Thematics: Clocks

Hypnosis/Charm/Dominate: clock on pendulum hypnotizes people

Fireball/Delayed Blast Fireball: Timebombs

Time Stop: Obvious

Orb Spells: Throw clock gears at people

Confusion: cuckoos

Cyclocone
2009-10-08, 10:52 AM
With my last breath, I curse you and my curiosity..

:smallbiggrin:

...Although I wonder just what manner of creature would emerge from a Goatse Gate?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-08, 10:54 AM
Confusion: cuckoos

I think you mean Cause Fear.

Optimystik
2009-10-08, 10:56 AM
I'm a bit lazy and so just theme my spells by deity since I'm usually playing a divine caster anyway. FaP actively encourages clerics to do this IIRC. (e.g. An inflict spell cast by a cleric of Bane makes his hand turn dark and glow green, while one cast by a cleric of Mask makes their hand turn pale and almost see-through... "Cure X wounds" from a Lathanderite causes the hand and wound to glow until the wound fades away, the same spell from an Ilmateri has healing blood flow from the caster into the wound and seal it, etc.)

flare'90
2009-10-08, 11:04 AM
Time stop as The World, anyone?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-08, 11:09 AM
FaP actively encourages clerics to do this IIRC.

Fap?

Optimystik raises a good point. Spell Thematics was included in that thread of useless feats anyway (alongside Research and Investigate). A feat that enables spell theming implies that spell theming is impossible without the feat, which is ridiculous and counter to fun. (like Investigate - being unable to investigate without a feat is ridiculous. I might even put Track into this category, or trapfinding, but I digress)...

The example money-wizard I stated wouldn't actually have spell thematics if I didn't feel the need to nerf him by killing a feat slot.

Optimystik
2009-10-08, 11:27 AM
Fap?

Faiths and Pantheons (FR supplement).

Spell Thematics was included in that thread of useless feats anyway (alongside Research and Investigate). A feat that enables spell theming implies that spell theming is impossible without the feat, which is ridiculous and counter to fun.

Wow, I didn't read the thread very closely. There was a feat to do this? Utterly useless. Was there any mechanical benefit, even something as simple as increasing the Spellcraft DC to identify what spell you're casting due to the special effects show? Anything at all to justify blowing a feat on something the game already lets you do yourself?

JellyPooga
2009-10-08, 11:31 AM
Wow, I didn't read the thread very closely. There was a feat to do this? Utterly useless. Was there any mechanical benefit, even something as simple as increasing the Spellcraft DC to identify what spell you're casting due to the special effects show? Anything at all to justify blowing a feat on something the game already lets you do yourself?

you get a +4 to the Spellcraft DC to identify your spells and you get to choose 1 spell per (spell) level to be a "thematic" spell, for which you get a +1 to your effective caster level when casting it. It's not an amazing feat, but it has it's uses for when you're trying to twink your caster level (and if you have a feat spare)

Optimystik
2009-10-08, 11:35 AM
you get a +4 to the Spellcraft DC to identify your spells and you get to choose 1 spell per (spell) level to be a "thematic" spell, for which you get a +1 to your effective caster level when casting it. It's not an amazing feat, but it has it's uses for when you're trying to twink your caster level (and if you have a feat spare)

Oh, that's not too bad then I suppose. But there are more efficient ways of raising your caster level I'm sure, and the theme bit doesn't need it.

The spellcraft thing only matters in PvP I think; if the DM really wants that NPC to counter your spell, he's probably going to.

WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Masaioh
2009-10-08, 11:35 AM

ZA WARUDO!!!!!

tyckspoon
2009-10-08, 11:57 AM
Alternatively, tiny blue gnomes. Yes, smurfs Nac Mac Feegle.. Fireball creates 200 tiny blue gnomes with torches. Magic missile sends 1-5 levels tiny blue gnomes flying unerringly to kick your enemy's private parts. Sleep creates one tiny blue gnome over each target's neck, and the smurfs see above proceed to karate-chop your foes at exactly the same time. Dismissal creates 4 tiny blue gnomes dressed like the ghostbusters, who shoot the outsider with laser beams.

If you're going to theme your spells on very violent tiny blue people, use the right violent tiny blue people.

woodenbandman
2009-10-08, 12:32 PM
Friend of mine is doing rainbows for his. Entirely rainbow themed. In a non-gay way.

Not that being gay is wrong, it's just that it's un-gay.

Unless it is gay, I'm not sure.

For the character, anyway. My friend's not gay.

Unless it is gay...

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 12:35 PM

Just imagine!

EDIT: Oh yeah, don't Google it.
1. You are a horrible person. I mean it. You deserve to be drowned in battery acid :smallannoyed:

2. Mario Theme. Goombas etc.
3. STEAMPUNK SPELLS!!!! :smallbiggrin:

industrious
2009-10-08, 12:41 PM
Spell theme: Meta

Cause Fear/confusion/insanity: See the world beyond the game aka real life.

Wish: A pencil and paper appear, and erase and rewrite reality.

Bigby's Hand spells-a large human hand appears from above the gameboard

Flesh to Stone- turn into a life-sized minature

Metamagic Spells are cheese shaped.

Any other ideas for meta-spells

Violet Octopus
2009-10-08, 12:55 PM
The film noir one is my favourite so far. Also, is it just me, or is Eberron much less noir than WotC make it out to be? Maybe it's just my GM...

I entirely approve. I myself was going to say "baked goods." :smallbiggrin:

Fireball ---> giant exploding red velvet cake?

Cloud of Knives ---> razor sharp bits of toffee?
Phantom Steed ---> a giant croissant that you ride on (pointy bits up)
Flesh to Stone, Wall of Stone ---> flesh to scones, wall of scones (with really overworked batter). Scone tell is a bit situational, alas.

btw I loved the magical candy you brewed a while back.

Optimystik
2009-10-08, 01:04 PM
1. You are a horrible person. I mean it. You deserve to be drowned in battery acid :smallannoyed:

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Friend of mine is doing rainbows for his. Entirely rainbow themed. In a non-gay way.

Unless it is gay, I'm not sure.

For the character, anyway. My friend's not gay.

Unless it is gay...

...wait, what?

Myrmex
2009-10-08, 01:19 PM
Friend of mine is doing rainbows for his.

Isn't that Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil's shtick?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-08, 01:44 PM
The film noir one is my favourite so far. Also, is it just me, or is Eberron much less noir than WotC make it out to be? Maybe it's just my GM..

Yeah. Never really got any "noir" feel from Eberron.

Set
2009-10-08, 07:36 PM
I saw a summoning based mage once. Every spell of his was a summons.

Fireball? Enormous squid-like entity of fire appeared in the center of the area of effect and lashed everyone with tentacles of fire, before disappearing.

Detect Magic? Tiny glowing magical faeries poured forth from the casters hand and flock around anything that is magical.

Magic Missile? Entities of pure force that orbit like strange spiky crystals fly and swoop through the air, chasing each other around playfully before smashing into their target(s).

Web? The walls come alive and shoot forth brightly colored nematode-like tendrils that wrap around anyone near them.

Acid Splash? A tiny lizard with an enormous tail appears wrapped around the casters arm, and disgorges a gout of corrosive expectorate.

Stinking Cloud? Funny-looking fungal growths plop up from the ground and, with a wet ripping sound, unleash a sulfurous cloud of eye-watering olfactory cruelty. The blobby fungus critters spend the rest of the duration wandering around the spell's area of effect on stumpy little legs, continuously ripping out new gaseous offenses against humanity.

Poison? A venomous crab-like creature with a lancing stinger appears on the caster's hand, crawling out from under his sleeve, and delivers it's poison with a sudden sting.

penbed400
2009-10-09, 01:53 AM
My current DM is in love with my character. He's a CE wizard who is insane and only speaks in rhymes so I like to do that with some situations just to have some fun, like if a spell has a verbal component and I can think of it before my next turn I'll rhyme and the effects may vary depending on just how awesome the rhyme is.

Example #1:
Me: Okay so I'm going to cast a spell
DM: Alright which one
Me: Well my wizard is going to look at the Justificator and say, "Prepare to be infactuated, to see this spell requires IMAAAAAGINNAAAATION!" *Spongebob Squarepants hand sign motion* and cast Rainbow Pattern on him.
DM: *much laughter* that's awesome

Example #2:
Me: I cast stone shape to make a rough passageway into the room where all of the wizards are
DM: They are all freaking out because you just randomly burst through the wall, have a surprise round
Me: Okay I say, "I would say for you to look at me, but looky looky you can't seeeee!" and glitterdust them, now make your save roll foo'!
DM: *much laughter* You're awesome, no they fail that was just too great

Drascin
2009-10-09, 02:00 AM
Ghost Sound: Ghastly appears and starts making weird sounds.
Shield: Summon Shieldon to block attacks for you.
Grease: Muk spits a puddle of goo at the ground to make enemies slip.
Sleep: Butterfree! Use Sleep Powder!
Hypnotism: Hypno! Hypnosis!
Gust of Wind: Pidgeot! Whirlwind!
Spectral Hand: Haunter appears and touches things for you.
Lightning Bolt: A small yellow rat thing shoots lightning for you.
Phantom Steed: Go! Rapidash!
Telekinesis: Alakazam! Use Psychic!
Polymorph: NOW I AM A POKEMON!!!

This is awesome. Seriously, I've been wanting to play a pet master in M&M for eons. I just don't know whether to ambient him as pokémon trainer or Shin Megami Tensei devil summoner :smallbiggrin:. And of course, I need someone other than me to be the GM for once :smallsigh:.

Kronno
2010-01-18, 02:51 PM
I Once Threw an Assassin squad based off of the X-men at my players. I struggled with Gambit till I found this spell, then he became a rogue/sorceror with "Spell thematics: Playing Cards" and a very specific spell list. It worked perfectly!

They'd been fighting a Warforged Monk, a Warlock who's blasts came out of his eyes (and all his invocations were blast Varieties), and a female Stormlord of Telos (dark skin, white hair, of course) for 2 or 3 rounds, but it wasn't until he came out and started casting (along with a Shifter claw master with Fast-heal) that the players finally figured it out. The look on their faces was awesome :).

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-18, 04:48 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy is disfavored here.