PDA

View Full Version : Scrappies that you like

Lord of Rapture
2009-10-07, 05:11 AM
You know that character on the show you watch, who everyone seems to hate? And for some reason you can't figure out why? Who are characters that you like despite being hated by everyone else?

1. Jar-Jar Binks - No, he did not ruin the prequels. The prequels really weren't that bad really. He pretty much summed up the prequels for me - rather enjoyable, if annoying and immature.

2. Winry Rockbell - Okay, she isn't really hated so much as disliked, but I still feel for the poor girl. She's gone through a lot of sh**, and she's still able to pick herself up afterwards and move on. Plus she's a wrench wench? Who doesn't like them?

3. Emiya Shirou - Yes, Terraoblivion, shoot me. :smalltongue: I won't even try to defend him in the Fate path, but go watch the UBW and HF paths. His more admirable and badass sides come out, and his "durr, hero" side gets a huge beating as well. I find him quite an interesting deconstruction of the whole Lawful Good archetype

4. Miko Miyaza - actually, let's not talk about her here.

5. Scrappy - Alright, just what is it with Scrappy that everyone hates? What the heck? I love the little feisty puppy! How could you not like him? "Let me attum, Let me attum!"

Prime32
2009-10-07, 05:25 AM
3. Emiya Shirou - Yes, Terraoblivion, shoot me. :smalltongue: I won't even try to defend him in the Fate path, but go watch the UBW and HF paths. His more admirable and badass sides come out, and his "durr, hero" side gets a huge beating as well. I find him quite an interesting deconstruction of the whole Lawful Good archetype
I liked Shiro because he was trying to do the right thing, even if he was being an idiot - he reminded me of myself when I was younger.

I also liked Shinn Asuka from Gundam SEED Destiny, because it was like watching the world's slowest trainwreck. :smalltongue: The guy was pretty much a dog.

Starscream
2009-10-07, 05:39 AM
1) Kyle Raynor. Hal was boring.

2) Short Round. "No time for love!"

3) Neelix. I was a little kid and thought he was funny, okay?

4) Donna Noble. At least, she was a Scrappy in her first appearance. They improved her later, but I liked her before it was cool.

5) Mel, also from Doctor Who. She has the best scream ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8928yni-Cl0)!

6) Kochanski. At least, I didn't hate her. The writing on the show went downhill just when she showed up, so she never had a chance.

7) Slimer. Once again, I was too young to know better. And hey, he was voiced by Frank Welker after all.

Tengu_temp
2009-10-07, 05:48 AM
I liked Slimer too!

Not a complete Scrappy, but it seems that everyone either loves Yuffie, or hates her. I'm in the former category.

Prime32
2009-10-07, 05:50 AM
3) Neelix. I was a little kid and thought he was funny, okay?He was funny because he could annoy Tuvok.

pita
2009-10-07, 05:59 AM
I think this thread should also be expanded to characters that are loved that I don't like.
Bob. From Batman. He's a glorified extra. Why do people like him that much?

Violet Octopus
2009-10-07, 06:07 AM
Martha Jones. She's awesome from the get-go, but there were too many David Tennant/Billie Piper fans.

scanning through the Scrappy examples on TVTropes,

C-3PO - sissy robots are my favourite kind, and I'm glad Darths and Droids decided to exaggerate this rather than rewrite it.

I liked Wesley Crusher when I was a kid <_<

Kennedy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though it's been a while since I saw an episode with her in it.

And from videogames, Raiden, Tingle and Slippy Toad.

Athaniar
2009-10-07, 07:30 AM
Deekin Scalesinger - He's awesome. Enough said.

Joxer - I've always found him funny. Too bad he became more dead in later seasons.

Jar Jar Binks - A little out of place at times, but he doesn't deserve all the hate.

Ewoks - At least in RotJ. I refuse to watch any other material with them.

Vanilla Coke - Yummy.

UltraDude
2009-10-07, 07:46 AM
Ugh. I know, I understand Jar Jar annoying people, but the hate is silly. And people dislike Winry? I don't know people anymore.

The Scrappy hate is that he was added at a point when the show underwent some major changes that most people seem to think were for the worst (myself included). Scrappy himself wasn't... bad, but I preferred the idea of Scooby being the only talking dog.

Going through some notables on the list on TV Tropes...

Raki in Claymore. Seriously um where the hell is Clare as a character without him?

Kagome. She's... really not any worse than the rest of the cast in most ways. Hell, some of her development is even kind enough to last between episodes.

Relena in Gundam Wing. I won't even get started.

Minmei-wait, alright, I'll give you the main series. To a degree. I just always remember her in Do You Remember Love? where the shorter time spent on her actually really streamlines the character.

I'd talk about Final Fantasy, but I think the trope "Broken Base" applies to even the fans of individual games, never mind the franchise as a whole.

Pretty much any Persona 3 or 4 character that people call a Scrappy. Two of my favorite video game casts. Period.

Colette in Tales of Symphonia. Cool game, can't stand most of the fandom.

And that's all for now. Anyone asking for clarification should be cautious of potential ranting.

GoC
2009-10-07, 07:53 AM
Meh at Jar-Jar
Never heard of 2
Hated 3 but only saw fate. bland, boring and very very annoying
liked 4
Hated 5

Freshmeat
Jar Jar Binks - I don't like him, but the hatedom against him is a little disproportional.

Miko Miyazaki - I think it's one of the best characters in OotS, certainly better than a whole lot of others.

Anyone from Code Geass - According to tvtropes (my source of reliable information!) the community was quite divided over who the real scrappy was as apparently just about everyone could apply. I can't recall any particularly annoying characters.

Fri
got ninjaed by ultradude, I was going to say Raki from Claymore. Also seconding relena and joxer.

Green Bean
2009-10-07, 07:58 AM
Honestly, when I was a kid, I loved Scrappy Doo. I kept thinking if they listened to him and stayed and fought, it'd cut twenty minutes off the episode when the monster's mask fell off.

Eldan
2009-10-07, 08:13 AM
6) Kochanski. At least, I didn't hate her. The writing on the show went downhill just when she showed up, so she never had a chance.

Help me out here... it's on my tongue, but where's Kochanski from? I know it's something painfully obvious. Christine Kochanski.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-10-07, 08:15 AM
And people dislike Winry? I don't know people anymore.

No kidding! How could you NOT love Winry?

Lord of Rapture
2009-10-07, 08:24 AM
No kidding! How could you NOT love Winry?

Here (http://www.nihonreview.com/forum/index.php?topic=1253.0)is a thread filled with nothing but scorn and loathing for the character.

Zevox
2009-10-07, 08:33 AM
5. Scrappy - Alright, just what is it with Scrappy that everyone hates? What the heck? I love the little feisty puppy! How could you not like him? "Let me attum, Let me attum!"
Likewise. What's up with his reputation? Episodes with him were usually my favorite Scooby Doo episodes as a kid.

Zevox

Violet Octopus
2009-10-07, 08:37 AM
Help me out here... it's on my tongue, but where's Kochanski from? I know it's something painfully obvious. Christine Kochanski.

Red Dwarf.

Mr. Scaly
2009-10-07, 08:40 AM
Jar Jar. The most satisfying part of the special edition of RotJ was hearing that he lived through the war. I am NOT joking.

I have no particular hatred towards Wesley Crusher.

I happen to like Seven of Nine and think that she got some of the best episodes in the latter seasons of Voyager built around her.

Cubey
2009-10-07, 08:52 AM
I think this thread should also be expanded to characters that are loved that I don't like.

It'd be better if someone made a different thread for this topic.

And let's see. Scrappies... TVTropes doesn't really count as a guide, because people just put characters there that they don't like personally rather than those who are widely believed to be Scrappies. And people like Minmey or Relena aren't Scrappies overall, just in the eyes of rabid shippers.

I didn't like Winry in the first FMA anime, but I do in Brotherhood and the original manga.

Lord of Rapture
2009-10-07, 08:53 AM
Huh. Personally, I found her more annoying in Brotherhood than in either of the two versions, but only somewhat, and certainly not enough to make me dislike her.

But meh. Might be my overall dislike of Brotherhood anyway.

Fri
2009-10-07, 09:29 AM
Relena

Back then, I thought I'm the only one that liked her. Not helping was my lurking in fanfiction.net. Almost like every two from three stories bashed her.

Dienekes
2009-10-07, 09:30 AM
1. Jar-Jar Binks - No, he did not ruin the prequels. The prequels really weren't that bad really. He pretty much summed up the prequels for me - rather enjoyable, if annoying and immature.

My reaction to Jar-Jar.
"You save meh life okiday?" (Ok... where you going with this George? The thing seems interesting for an alien. No Chewy, but interesting)
"Mesa banished, cause mesa clumsy" (... Well... that's unlikely. Umm... are we supposed to laugh here? heh, heh. Banished because of clumsiness, how humorous)
"OH NO BIG GOOBER FISH!" (Come again? Oh I get it, you're like C-3P0 in the asteroids... except if possible even more outrageously over the top... great)
"How wude" (Of course it's buggeringly rude. They're slaves. Saying it in an accent isn't funny)
*the chewing frog scene* (You weren't banished cause you're clumsy. You were banished because you were a thief... an idiotic one at that. Stop making pointless drama, it's embarrassing)
*the numb tongue scene* (... I'm supposed to laugh at this again aren't I?)
"Yousa thinking yousa people gonna die?" (HAHAHA, oh I could listen to this line all day. It may almost be worth listening to the rest of the movie just for this line. Hahah, oh man. I think that was the only laugh I got in the entire film. Perfect delivery. And on reflection... yes Jar-Jar, when guns go off in a battle generally people die. Good job putting that together)
"Mesa general?" (... No... bad Lucas. No race that can invent globes that stop water and yet let people pass through it would ever make that mistake. No... just... no)
*the battle* (Yes kill him, kill him off. Hell, he deserves it, he's running the wrong way. No, random interesting gungan, don't help him. Why is he having better accuracy than freakin' storm troopers by slamming a robot on the ground and cowering? Ughhhh. Please, go back to the 12 year old piloting a fightership and destroying the command center that numerous trained pilots couldn't do)
"Senators. Dellow feligates... " (I understand everything now. He's supposed to be a statement on how the average persons stupidity and easily manipulativeness can bring about tyranny. Or, you just needed a moron to get Palpatine's rise to power. Either way, thank you for this Jar-Jar. Because of you're idiocy the Empire is created. Decades of injustice is on your head. I hope you're proud. Let's hope that the Emperor just kills you off after he's done using you. And... why are you a senator? You're making my brain hurt.)

Sorry, Jar-Jar is a scrappy and always should be.

This, I agree. When I was a kid I thought he was funny. A bit idiotic at times but funny. "Puppy Power!" could be a bit much at times though.

bosssmiley
2009-10-07, 11:22 AM
Merry and Pippin from "LOTR". We could have had at least one of them die and still have been overstocked on annoying Hobbits. :smallamused:

Poot from "The Wire". He's just a mouthy dumb little punk, but he's a laugh.

Wash from "Firefly". Discard the fanboy blinkers and concede the character is nothing but a functional scrappy.

E.B.Farnum from "Deadwood". An annoying, pretentious little berk, but fun to watch.

FoE
2009-10-07, 12:01 PM
Sorry, Jar-Jar is a scrappy and always should be.

Sorry, haven't you heard? Darths and Droids rescued Jar-Jar from the Scrappy heap. :smalltongue:

I actually don't think Jar-Jar singlehandedly ruined the Phantom Menace ... There were just a lot of problems from that movie, from the wooden acting to the lousy plot.

If anything, that little kid who played mini-Darth Vader was way more annoying.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-07, 12:23 PM
I find myself agreeing with a lot of what's in this thread, actually.

Someone new I'd like to add is Nena Trinity from Gundam 00. She's a crazy bitch and bears a lot of annoying "moe" qualities that she really shouldn't have, but she functions well as another, cuter member of 00's cast of completely freaking insane villains. And unlike a lot of other villains that lived to season 2, even her death was pretty well-done and not anticlimactic or stupid.

Really, I think the fan hatred comes more from hatred of the people who kept trying to defend her as misguided or innocent of her crimes when really, she's not that complex a character.

Turcano
2009-10-07, 12:32 PM
1. Jar-Jar Binks - No, he did not ruin the prequels.

This much is true. George Lucas ruined the prequels.

Anyway, if you change the definition of "like" to "doesn't annoy me as much as they apparently annoyed everyone else," I'd go with Vic Fontaine from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Lucky from King of the Hill. They were kind of annoying and not really necessary, but I don't really understand the vitriol.

Poot from "The Wire". He's just a mouthy dumb little punk, but he's a laugh.

How does Poot qualify a Scrappy? (Or at least, in a way that wouldn't include half the cast.)

thegurullamen
2009-10-07, 01:07 PM
George Lucas ruined the prequels.

Anyway, if you change the definition of "like" to "doesn't annoy me as much as they apparently annoyed everyone else," I'd go with Vic Fontaine from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Lucky from King of the Hill. They were kind of annoying and not really necessary, but I don't really understand the vitriol.

I agree with all of the opinions expressed above. Lucky had the misfortune of being the character that personified everything audiences were expecting from a FOX portrayal of a small town Texas family in cartoon form. That he transcended it in several small but notable ways (he had more depth than the stereotype for one) just wasn't enough for some. That on top of being a latecomer in a long-running series AND having his first few appearances as a non-speaking second banana to a couple of brain-dead hicks didn't help.

And I loved Vic Fontaine but even I got a little tired of his holoplots overriding the more interesting WAR! story arc. It's not hard to see how even slight dislike for the character could warp into complete hatred when the writers are squandering their few last season episodes on what comes down to filler with another late-comer character.

Linkavitch
2009-10-07, 02:01 PM
He was funny because he could annoy Tuvok.

They were like Spock and McCoy. It was awesome!

Prime32
2009-10-07, 02:05 PM
They were like Spock and McCoy. It was awesome!And by extension, Tuvix (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tuvix) > Chuck Norris.

DomaDoma
2009-10-07, 02:08 PM
Riley from Buffy. I'm only at episode 4x11, but so far, I really don't see what about him raises people's hackles.

Near from Death Note, but that pretty much went without saying.

The Ewoks. I actually took them seriously - of course, I was seven the first time I saw RotJ...

Haven
2009-10-07, 02:15 PM
Miko Miyazaki - I think it's one of the best characters in OotS, certainly better than a whole lot of others.

Anyone from Code Geass - According to tvtropes (my source of reliable information!) the community was quite divided over who the real scrappy was as apparently just about everyone could apply. I can't recall any particularly annoying characters.

I'd like to second these. I never really got the raw hate for Miko.

As for Code Geass...Tamaki was annoying, and I just wanted to punch all the Black Knights for betraying Lelouch so easily, but neither was really scrappy-ish. (Well, Tamaki kinda was, but he was also the Butt Monkey so that made me happy).

Dienekes
2009-10-07, 03:06 PM
Sorry, haven't you heard? Darths and Droids rescued Jar-Jar from the Scrappy heap. :smalltongue:

Come now, that's cheating.

I actually don't think Jar-Jar singlehandedly ruined the Phantom Menace ... There were just a lot of problems from that movie, from the wooden acting to the lousy plot.

If anything, that little kid who played mini-Darth Vader was way more annoying.

I will never say it was solely Jar-Jar who ruined 1. Hell, a lot of it was pathetic. The acting, the plot, the nuances. (14 George. 14 year olds do not become elected officials, George. Even in medieval times where people only expected to live till about 30-ish, 14 year olds were still never chosen as leaders by anyone except possible those even younger than them)

I actually, despite my raging against Binks, think that Anakin was even more annoying. Not just the kid, everything about him. The prequels killed Darth Vader for me, and he was once among my favorite villains. Now, he is but a joke.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s)

Wash from "Firefly". Discard the fanboy blinkers and concede the character is nothing but a functional scrappy.[/LIST]

Huh? Isn't a Scrappy defined by raging audiences? I'm fairly certain that Wash is actually well liked. So, doesn't that mean by definition he's not a Scrappy, you just don't like him?

Violet Octopus
2009-10-08, 12:01 PM
Gungans don't kill franchises, directors do.

And I'd forgotten about Riley. He gets annoying in season 5 (starting late season 4), but yeah, most people hate him from the start. Sure, he's super cornbread, but that's no reason to hate him.

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 12:15 PM
Jar Jar Binks - I don't like him, but the hatedom against him is a little disproportional.
Indeed. I think they just dont like the fact that he talks funny.
I dont care much either way, since im not a fan of Star Wars in general.

Hermit
2009-10-08, 12:20 PM
The Star Wars prequels would have been better if JarJar had played the role of Aniken Skywalker, continuity issues aside. At least his VA was less wooden than Hayden.

GoufCustom
2009-10-08, 01:15 PM
Wash from "Firefly". Discard the fanboy blinkers and concede the character is nothing but a functional scrappy.

How the hell is Wash a Scrappy? :smallconfused:

Mewtarthio
2009-10-08, 06:39 PM
Kennedy in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though it's been a while since I saw an episode with her in it.

Kennedy was a Scrappy? She was pretty bland, and it looked like they just threw her in to give Willow a love interest, but I don't see how she could inspire that much vitriol. Maybe it's got something to do with Tara's ridiculously arbitrary death... but then again, they got rid of Oz in an even worse manner.

"Mesa general?" (... No... bad Lucas. No race that can invent globes that stop water and yet let people pass through it would ever make that mistake. No... just... no)

This is another one of those times where I was glad I read the novelization before watching the film. It makes The Phantom Menace almost palatable. In the novelization, the "General" title is mostly ceremonial, because Boss Nass figure Jar-Jar will end up dying in the upcoming battle and wants to make him a martyr.

And whoever said Wash was a Scrappy... I'm not sure the word means what you think it does.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-08, 06:45 PM
And unlike a lot of other villains that lived to season 2, even her death was pretty well-done and not anticlimactic or stupid.

Except her death was totally lame and anticlimactic, maybe not to the level of Ali or the innovades in general but it was really ****ing lame.

Dienekes
2009-10-08, 07:09 PM
This is another one of those times where I was glad I read the novelization before watching the film. It makes The Phantom Menace almost palatable. In the novelization, the "General" title is mostly ceremonial, because Boss Nass figure Jar-Jar will end up dying in the upcoming battle and wants to make him a martyr.

While this is excellent, and gives another reason to love BRIAN BLESSED, it still doesn't explain how the hell he became a Senator. I'm sorry, the title Senator is not ceremonial, and there was little chance of him being killed to become a martyr, well... when he got started anyway.

Starscream
2009-10-09, 01:33 AM
While this is excellent, and gives another reason to love BRIAN BLESSED, it still doesn't explain how the hell he became a Senator. I'm sorry, the title Senator is not ceremonial, and there was little chance of him being killed to become a martyr, well... when he got started anyway.

I'm not sure how Galactic senate elections work (did the humans of Naboo elect him, or do the Gungans have their own seat?), but he probably became popular after they won the battle, even though he had little to do with it. I doubt Nass was pleased.

On another note, y'know what bugged me about that whole Gungans vs. Robots fight? No dead Gungans.

Yes, I know, it's a kids movie, but so was Return of the Jedi and at least a couple of Ewoks were shown being killed. We saw droids get smashed left and right, but not a single Gungan took a hit even though we are supposed to believe that they were doomed before Anakin destroyed the ship.

Heck, I think a few dead Gungans would really have brightened the audience's day.

FoE
2009-10-09, 01:39 AM
On another note, y'know what bugged me about that whole Gungans vs. Robots fight? No dead Gungans.

Heck, I think a few dead Gungans would really have brightened the audience's day.

What fight were you watching? There were a few Gungan corpses strewn throughout the battlefield. With all the neatly flattened grass. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0174.html)

Starscream
2009-10-09, 02:24 AM
What fight were you watching? There were a few Gungan corpses strewn throughout the battlefield. With all the neatly flattened grass. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0174.html)

Y'know, I've seen that movie about ten times and never noticed that before. I always just saw lots and lots of smashed robots.

Thank goodness for Darths and Droids. Lucas could take lessons from them if he wants to make Gungans actually likable.

And before you all rise as one and slay me for having seen Episode I ten times, let me assure you that owning the Rifftrax (http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/star-wars-episode-i-phantom-menace) makes it quite tolerable.

Vic_Sage
2009-10-09, 02:54 AM
Gungan's in the EU are actually likeable, Jar Jar is really the only annoying one.

Kalbron
2009-10-09, 03:44 AM

I thought that Jar-Jar was the acting Senator due to being Amadalia's aid and that Palpatine had worked it so that Amadalia would be forced off Coruscant before the voting would take place, thereby leaving him with a dupe that could easily be manipulated.

Then again, I didn't really watch the third movie very closely after seeing how they butchered Grevious' character.

(Sorry for any incorrectly spelt SW names in advance.)

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 03:46 AM
Bob. From Batman. He's a glorified extra. Why do people like him that much?

Because he's the number one guy. :smallwink:

In general I've never understood the idea that characters should be hated. Sometimes a character is annoying, but in general that's a sign that the work is badly written. For example, I don't really understand the singling out of Jar Jar and Scrappy Doo, because without them The Phantom Menace and (especially) Scooby Doo are still terrible. So I guess in that sense I like the scrappies more than other people seem to.

One example which I suppose runs counter to the above is Deb from Dexter. A lot of people seem to find her annoying, but I've never seen it. Heck, if I knew someone who had those traits in real life I'd probably be (platonic) friends with her.

pita
2009-10-09, 04:52 AM
Deb is awesome. I'm completely and utterly in fanboy love over her. She's brilliantly portrayed and the most realistic thing in Dexter. How anyone can hate her is beyond me.
I think the reason Scrappy and JarJar are hated are because they're bad, and they arrived when things became bad. They symbolize for fan communities the suckiness of the new stuff, so they're hated. Although even while I enjoyed the prequels when I was a lot younger, I still hated Jar Jar. Pony dinosaurs must die.

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 05:12 AM
I think the reason Scrappy and JarJar are hated are because they're bad, and they arrived when things became bad.

Became bad? :smallconfused: I thought Scrappy Doo was brought onto the show sometime after the first episode. :smallamused:

UltraDude
2009-10-09, 07:33 AM
Except her death was totally lame and anticlimactic, maybe not to the level of Ali or the innovades in general but it was really ****ing lame.

I found it lame, but fitting. Kill helpless wedding goers? Get stabbed while floating in an outdated crippled mech.

Averagejoe? Go now :smallamused: I'll give you a head start.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-09, 07:50 AM
Except her death was totally lame and anticlimactic, maybe not to the level of Ali or the innovades in general but it was really ****ing lame.It wasn't much of a fight, but Nena was never much of a fighter by herself. Dramatically, however, it was really well-done, from her gloating to her surprise to her pleading to

Crazy Louise pathetically babbling to her dead parents.
It was one of the few loltwists in season 2 that retained any of the kind of emotional impact that season 1 had.

Indon
2009-10-09, 08:15 AM
2. Winry Rockbell - Okay, she isn't really hated so much as disliked, but I still feel for the poor girl. She's gone through a lot of sh**, and she's still able to pick herself up afterwards and move on. Plus she's a wrench wench? Who doesn't like them?

Colette in Tales of Symphonia. Cool game, can't stand most of the fandom.

I'd never imagined these two would be considered scrappies. Winry is a rather standard eager supporting character for a shonen manga and Colette's, well, the heroine. She's not even as wangsty as the standard considering her situation, and her martyr-like attitude is pretty clearly part of the early game's religious symbolism.

UltraDude
2009-10-09, 08:18 AM
I was on the ToS board at GameFAQs at its height, and I think the only less-liked member of the party was Regal. I think they even liked Genis more. Hell, flame wars started over opinions on her.

Worst. GFAQs board. Ever.

Well, that's probably a bit strong, this is GameFAQs after all. You have to absolutely awful to be the worst there.

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 08:29 AM
Averagejoe? Go now :smallamused: I'll give you a head start.

For some reason people keep telling me that. :smalltongue:

kamikasei
2009-10-09, 09:15 AM
They were like Spock and McCoy. It was awesome!

Oh good god, no, they weren't. Spock and McCoy had personalities and a relationship. Neelix and Tuvok had caricatures and cringing.

(Neelix on his own wasn't so bad after the early first season, and had good episodes and characterization here and there. Tuvok was a vile pretense at a Vulcan that served only to illustrate that Trek writers are incompetent to write Trek.)

Dienekes
2009-10-09, 09:18 AM
Became bad? :smallconfused: I thought Scrappy Doo was brought onto the show sometime after the first episode. :smallamused:

This leaves me no choice. I'm afraid your actions have led us to war.

Seriously though, old Scooby Doo rocked. They had little mysteries that were simple enough for my child-mind to comprehend and try to solve myself. And had Shaggy, that dude was awesome.

GoC
2009-10-09, 09:44 AM
Oh good god, no, they weren't. Spock and McCoy had personalities and a relationship. Neelix and Tuvok had caricatures and cringing.

QFT.:smallannoyed:

loopy
2009-10-09, 12:56 PM
I quite liked Callie from BSG... Well, I did until writing turned her less and less sympathetic (also more and more crazy).

I can't say how much of this was due to the actress portraying her being quite attractive, but eh. :smallsmile:

zvbxrpl
2009-10-09, 01:07 PM
I like Dawn from BtVS. Her initial appearance is a little jarring, but it's supposed to be. The fact that she's a believable 13(?) year old can make her a bit grating, but it's because she actually acts like a kid. Besides, with all the stuff that happens to her, and given that she's one of the few characters on the show without superpowers, she's entitled to a little whining now and then.

Also, Shinji. Poor kid's got the worst dad ever, and is, coolness of giant robots aside, a child soldier dealing with scary otherworldly creatures. That'll mess you up.

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 01:10 PM
I quite liked Callie from BSG... Well, I did until writing turned her less and less sympathetic (also more and more crazy).

I can't say how much of this was due to the actress portraying her being quite attractive, but eh. :smallsmile:

I tend to agree with you on this one, and I'd never found the actress to be notably attractive, so it probably isn't that. She was basically a college girl on a warship, and this was kind of interesting. Of course, her character became, "Hate cylons," which was less interesting, but still.

Also, I always liked Dawn. The storyline itself was somewhat gimmicky, but no real gripes about the actual character.

The Evil Thing
2009-10-09, 02:49 PM
If this guy is classed as a scrappy then I too shall leap to his defence. Even... no, especially during the Fate route.

Seriously, why does everyone call him an idiot? Saber's the real idiot. Shiro finishes every route with a minimum of three girls all liking him very much. Saber gets coup d'etat'd and spends hundreds of years trying to rewrite history because she's such a damn martyr.

Prime32
2009-10-09, 02:53 PM
Seriously, why does everyone call him an idiot?Maybe it's because he tries to fight Servants by himself despite having zero combat ability and a means to summon a more powerful Servant instantly?

The Evil Thing
2009-10-09, 03:03 PM
Maybe it's because he tries to fight Servants by himself despite having zero combat ability and a means to summon a more powerful Servant instantly?
The guy's broken mentally. He has no sense of self, as established pretty clearly before the War actually breaks out. It doesn't make sense to him that anyone should have to fight for him, regardless of how weak he is, because deep down he doesn't see it that he's putting his life at risk: he doesn't have one to begin with.

Notice if he were a plain suicidal martyr without a cause, he wouldn't have told Issei he didn't take jobs he couldn't do anyway. He'd just stubbornly try to do them anyway.

This tends to come across as somewhat amusing sexism, especially in Fate, but that's really just him rationalising things. If it weren't, it would continue to be a trait in UBW (where Nasu really rubs your nose in it that he's doing the whole LG deconstruction thing) and HF. And did he object to Rin participating even once? She's a girl too isn't she?

Meanwhile, Saber gets the mother of all burns from Alexander, who fits the Idiot Hero character type surprisingly well.

Dienekes
2009-10-09, 03:03 PM

For me my annoyance with her is "That dude just broke your jaw. Why are you in love with him? Jeez women, you remind me of the ladies who go back to abusive boyfriends..." Though her death was great. And not my normal enjoyment of watching "good" characters die, I mean was very well done.

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 06:53 PM
For me my annoyance with her is "That dude just broke your jaw. Why are you in love with him? Jeez women, you remind me of the ladies who go back to abusive boyfriends..." Though her death was great. And not my normal enjoyment of watching "good" characters die, I mean was very well done.

Well, yes, I think it was trying to reflect that. It is a fairly dumb thing to do, but people do it, more often than you might think.

Dienekes
2009-10-09, 07:22 PM
Well, yes, I think it was trying to reflect that. It is a fairly dumb thing to do, but people do it, more often than you might think.

I know. The concept that it exists just annoys me, quite a lot actually.

As such, I take no points off from the writers or actress who played it perfectly. It is just an embodiment of one of the many reasons I think people are stupid.

FoE
2009-10-09, 08:01 PM
I like Dawn from BtVS.

I didn't like Dawn, but I sure liked Dawn's actress. :smalltongue:

Actually, I didn't mind Dawn in the fifth season. It was the goddamn sixth season that killed Dawn for me. Sister sacrificed herelf for you? Grrr, how dare that Buffy leave you behind!

Sister seems a bit distant after being ripped from Heaven? Better start stealing things so people will pay attention to your paaaaaaaaaain.

Willow got hooked on black magic and nearly got you killed by a demon? Grrr, better take it out on Buffy for not being omniscient and stopping the whole thing before it starts, even though she showed up in time to save your ass.

averagejoe
2009-10-09, 08:13 PM
I know. The concept that it exists just annoys me, quite a lot actually.

As such, I take no points off from the writers or actress who played it perfectly. It is just an embodiment of one of the many reasons I think people are stupid.

Well, something is more complex at work than just, "People being stupid." I take your meaning, though, and this probably isn't the place to discuss it anyways.

I guess I never saw much of seasons six or seven of Buffy.

Cubey
2009-10-09, 08:32 PM
Also, Shinji. Poor kid's got the worst dad ever, and is, coolness of giant robots aside, a child soldier dealing with scary otherworldly creatures. That'll mess you up.

This. Shinji's actually more strong willed than I'd expect from a typical kid his age put in his situation. People who hate him miss Evangelion's point.

X2
2009-10-10, 06:38 AM

Superboy-Prime

Teln
2009-10-10, 07:54 AM

Superboy-Prime

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Any further discussion might trigger a rant on my part.

As for scrappies I like, how the hell did Jade Chan from Jackie Chan Adventures get put on the Scrappy list? She was one of the best parts of the show! And Spyke and Boom-Boom from X-Men Evolution? Slimer? Kairi and Namine from Kingdom Hearts? Some people simply have no taste. And they've even put up Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Team Rocket, Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh (I was eleven when it hit the US), and--get this--EVERY SINGLE BREAKFAST CEREAL MASCOT EVER, WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION OF ONLY THE TRIX RABBIT.

The Scrappy page is in serious need of a cleanup.

Dienekes
2009-10-10, 09:00 AM

Superboy-Prime

What?

I'll kill you, I'll kill you to death!

Seriously though, Superboy Prime, I don't hate him. He's just too... I don't know even how to describe it he doesn't even deserve the effort put into hating him.

pita
2009-10-10, 09:19 AM
Near from Death Note.
I didn't have such a bad reaction to... you know... so it may just be backlash for him being a somewhat inferior replacement. But I like him as a character of his own, and not as you know who 2.

X2
2009-10-10, 10:22 AM
Colin Baker, the Sixth Doctor.

I love the jacket...

Love it love it love it love it love it!

Starscream
2009-10-10, 11:11 AM
Colin Baker, the Sixth Doctor.

I love the jacket...

Love it love it love it love it love it!

Seconded. The radio plays have made him much less of a Scrappy, but I always liked him.

And I would totally wear that coat.

Haarkla
2009-10-10, 11:25 AM
Godzuki

Miko Myazaki

Drizzt

Jade Chan

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-10, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, Drizzt was actually pretty decent for 3-6 novels.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-10, 12:35 PM
As for scrappies I like, how the hell did Jade Chan from Jackie Chan Adventures get put on the Scrappy list? She was one of the best parts of the show! And Spyke and Boom-Boom from X-Men Evolution? Slimer? Kairi and Namine from Kingdom Hearts? Some people simply have no taste. And they've even put up Short Round from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Team Rocket, Tea from Yu-Gi-Oh (I was eleven when it hit the US)

Yeah, I liked Jade as well. However, Kairi got really annoying at times, so I can understand that. And, seriously? Short Round is notorious for having a minuscule fanbase. Team Rocket got tired after episode 5, and Tea is a little iffy. There were times I liked her and times I didn't.

However, a scrappy that I like? Tate, from Mai Hime. Him and a couple of others were the only characters that drew me in. I sympathized with him.

Drascin
2009-10-10, 02:27 PM
This. Shinji's actually more strong willed than I'd expect from a typical kid his age put in his situation. People who hate him miss Evangelion's point.

Yeah. I mean, he was a bit of a whiner, but come on, review his life from his perspective.

As a kid: See your mother be absorbed by an otherwordly alien horror
While growing up: Realize your dad blames you and hates your guts, have nobody to connect with because you live isolated from the world.
As a 13 year old: Get called by said dad because he needs you - only, no, not really, he still hates your guts and wants to kill you ****ing dead, he only wants you to pilot the same thing that killed your mother, and fight horrible aliens that the best thing they can do to you is killing you, because if you die, well, no big loss. Realize that nobody except maybe Misato cares about you at all. And to all this add the pressure that if you mess up even once, it's rocks fall, everyone dies.

Poor kid. I'm surprised he didn't just snap and stab Gendo in the neck, honestly. I'd have cheered him all the while, really.

Dacia Brabant
2009-10-11, 03:16 PM
Shinji isn't even the proper Scrappy of Evangelion, Asuka is: from her latecomer status to her hamfisted characterization, culminating in her serving the singular purpose of getting herself in trouble and having to be saved by our reluctant hero. Not to say that I'm a fan of Shinji either, but unlike Scrappies the series as it is simply could not exist without him.

For true Scrappies that I do like though, I definitely have to agree with Miko. I don't like what she does, but I do like how well she was written.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-11, 05:36 PM
Hey, hey, hey. Let's not bag too much on a character who's designed to be offputting from the start, although I guess if you put it that way Asuka's my favorite scrappy ever. I'll admit she's as much of a plot device for Shinji to react to as a character, but goddamn if she isn't massively entertaining to have around.

averagejoe
2009-10-11, 11:24 PM
Hey, hey, hey. Let's not bag too much on a character who's designed to be offputting from the start, although I guess if you put it that way Asuka's my favorite scrappy ever. I'll admit she's as much of a plot device for Shinji to react to as a character, but goddamn if she isn't massively entertaining to have around.

I tend to agree with this. Also, the bit where she started kicking ass in End of Evangellion is probably one of my favorite things in terms of getting swept up in the emotion of the moment.

On Shinji: Yes, it is understandable how he feels. That doesn't stop it from being frustrating when all life on earth needs saving and he's moping around not doing anything.

Which is not to say I like or dislike him. I'm just saying that there's a difference between a character having understandable and believable motivations and a character being likable.

Kato
2009-10-12, 07:09 AM
Wait a moment, Shinji and Asuka are Scrappies? o.o I mean, yeah, hey get a lot of hate but... oh come on, if they were not the way they are EVA would have been a completely different series. (Does tv-tropes list them as Scrappy? *search* Yes they do. Weird...) Okay, can't say I loved them but in what they were supposed to do they were good at doing it.

I like Shirou... though I only know the anime. He did some stpid things but by far not enough to be a Scrappy.

Also I liked Misa from DN for all her over the top behavior and getting Light in trouble by just being more stupid than your average idol should be.

Gundam... er... yeah... I really dislike Relena. And I dislike Nena. But he latter partly because all the people say she's just a victim and 'It is TOTALLY okay to kill a whole wedding party because your life sucks.' Poor girl indeed. Otherwise... yeah, she's fine enough. (Also I like Flay good enough, or my interpretation of Flay at the end of SEED. Earlier... -.-')

I always thought Neelix was funny... i didn't know anyone disliked him until I got around the intertubes, seriously.

And i liked Jar-Jar as a comic relief in Episode One. They should have removed him from every other incarnation, though.

And I liked Raiden. *hides*

...Skimming the opage I notice i like quite a bunch of them... guess i just like too many characters.

UltraDude
2009-10-12, 07:25 AM
I've seen some fun 'discussions' in regards to Flay, let me tell you.

Personally, I think she turned out pretty interesting, but I thought killing her off was a total cop-out.

Athaniar
2009-10-12, 09:31 AM
Drizzt Do'Urden is a pretty good character in my opinion. Artemis Enteri, on the other hand...

Prime32
2009-10-12, 12:27 PM
Drizzt Do'Urden is a pretty good character in my opinion. Artemis Enteri, on the other hand...Drizzt only really started annoying me when, after finding the one place that would accept him, he left and seemed to have somehow forgotten that everyone hates drow, meaning that he went through the same angst all over again.

The dumbest part, though, had to be the spell which essentially let you look at the DM's notes, but if you tried to act on the information or tell anyone else their contents you would be teleported home with your memory wiped.

Teln
2009-10-12, 01:22 PM
The dumbest part, though, had to be the spell which essentially let you look at the DM's notes, but if you tried to act on the information or tell anyone else their contents you would be teleported home with your memory wiped.

Mucking around with experimental magic has nasty consequences sometimes.

Kato
2009-10-12, 07:18 PM
I've seen some fun 'discussions' in regards to Flay, let me tell you.

Personally, I think she turned out pretty interesting, but I thought killing her off was a total cop-out.

I've got my fair share... my former gf was a fan os hers and I'd not dare to say anything bad or I'd have to listen to her complaints for hours.

I'm not sure whether to belive the 'did not know what to do with her' reasoning orturning her into a more important character by giving her that Lala-eaque death. Anyway, I guess I don't care too much.

But really... i guess there is no Scrappy who has no fans somewhere. Some people are just too... kind.

Ozymandias
2009-10-12, 11:51 PM
I was on the ToS board at GameFAQs at its height, and I think the only less-liked member of the party was Regal. I think they even liked Genis more. Hell, flame wars started over opinions on her.

Worst. GFAQs board. Ever.

Well, that's probably a bit strong, this is GameFAQs after all. You have to absolutely awful to be the worst there.

People don't like Regal? I just can't understand that.

Squirrel_Domain
2009-10-13, 12:01 AM
People don't like Regal? I just can't understand that.

Yea. He's a little boring, but certainly not unlikeable.
The character I didn't like in that game was Sheena. I felt that by making her so crucial to the story, they lost opportunity to develop other characters.

It has been a while since I've played that game though.

Jayngfet
2009-10-13, 12:35 AM
I don't think of Shinji as HORRIBLE but DAMN I wish he would snap out of it. I get his life is crap but I kinda hoped he'd lighwen up after making friends. Of course EVERY ONE of them turns out to do nothing meaningful other than make him angst MORE. But hey, looks like rebuild is cutting the wangst and suggesting characters wont act in such a mindrape-y fashon.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-10-13, 10:05 AM
And everyone who hates Asuka will definitely enjoy the second film.

;_;

Okay, really I'm just whining, she gets plenty of a part and decent development for a movie, but she gets, essentially, replaced in spite of that, by someone who doesn't get any development. Come on, man.