PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How could you get a pocket watch to meet the criteria to be an Item Familiar?

Pika...
2009-10-07, 06:55 AM
So at the moment I am about to start stating out another backup character for my backup characters folder. I am trying to make an anthropomorphic rabbit psion who specializes in time related powers (Time Hop, Deja Vu, etc). He will wear solely Courtier's Outfits.

I began by trying to stat up his item familiar. However, I did not know a pocket watch would not normally meet the item familiar requirements.

Item Familiar:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

Any ideas for how to make this work?

ps. Anyone happen to know where the rabbit and/or hare stats are listed? I remember there at least being a hare somewhere.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-07, 07:30 AM
Have the pocket watch produce some sort of effect worth 2,000 gp or more, such as a Stone of Alarm.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 07:39 AM
Have the pocket watch produce some sort of effect worth 2,000 gp or more, such as a Stone of Alarm.

How do you do that?

And could it be done with something timeish related?

Blackfang108
2009-10-07, 08:26 AM
How do you do that?

And could it be done with something timeish related?

How is Alarm NOT time-ish related?
Stone of Alarm: 1/day at sunrise, 1/day overnight when camp is approached.

Keshay
2009-10-07, 08:34 AM
Use Craft Wondrous Item to make it the cheapest magic item possible, like a +1 skill bonus to something (cost 100gp, 4 xp).

A pocketwatch itself would cost over 2000gp without the enchantment in most settings. Look how much a water clock costs! Wind-up watch technology is far more advanced and precise, and therefore more expensive.

sdream
2009-10-07, 08:52 AM
There are only 3 requirements:

1) Have a price of at least 2,000 gp - this is no problem, if it has any kind of magical powers whatsoever, and it is required to, by #3

2) Be usable by the character. You can read the time from the watch, yes? Also you should be able to use any magic ability. Notice it says IF it is a weapon... meaning it can also NOT be a weapon.

3) Have a permanent magical effect that the character can (and knows how to) use. - This is your only real call. Talk to your DM and find the rules on custom magic item creation to get the ball rolling.

Suggestions for the starter magic power (X times per day, at will, or conditional), and command words. (Not necessarily time related, more source material themed).

expeditious retreat - "I'm late! I'm late!"
dimension door - "Bounce with me now!"
teleport - "Down the rabbit Hole!"
plane shift - "Through the looking glass!"

Have fun. Cute concept. I wouldn't waste thousands on tiny mechanical gears, when a persistant spell that simply shows the current time would probably be a minor and simple effect.

Cieyrin
2009-10-07, 12:10 PM
A high quality pocket watch (one that has both an hour and minute hand) costs at least 350 gp and weighs half a pound, at least in accordance with the steam-punkish Iron Kingdoms. In a setting without the advanced science (relatively speaking) of the Kingdoms, a pocket watch could easily go for twice to five times as much, as the gearcraft needed is exceptionally rare and perhaps practically nonexistent outside of Mechanus.

Cedrass
2009-10-07, 01:02 PM
A while back I started a thread on how to make such a bunny

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107817

I never got to create this character :smallfrown:

Telonius
2009-10-07, 01:25 PM
It could be made of Mithral and weigh four pounds. ("Other Items" made of mithral cost 500 per pound). Though this would probably be out of "pocket" size and edging more towards "Flav."

Alternately, have it inlaid with gemstones worth 2,000gp.

Choco
2009-10-07, 01:31 PM
It could be made of Mithral and weigh four pounds. ("Other Items" made of mithral cost 500 per pound). Though this would probably be out of "pocket" size and edging more towards "Flav."

Alternately, have it inlaid with gemstones worth 2,000gp.

Man, I got my next character concept now, thanks a lot....

Anyway, as Keshay said, if this is the typical D&D setting, then a pocketwatch itself would cost 2,000gp or more. That is some highly advanced technology we are talking about there.

After that, just add a once daily power from the list sdream suggested, or alarm, and you are set. Sure, there is no such item in any of the official books, but with DM blessing you can make your own items, hell, you are SUPPOSED to!

Keshay
2009-10-07, 01:41 PM
Man, I got my next character concept now, thanks a lot....

Does it involve a character wearing a viking hat, a gem-encrusted waterclock around his neck and lots of ranks in Perform: Hypeman?

Choco
2009-10-07, 01:46 PM
Does it involve a character wearing a viking hat, a gem-encrusted waterclock around his neck and lots of ranks in Perform: Hypeman?

That basically sums it up... I'll put it up next to my Billy Mays char concept... (A VERY enthusiastic Cleric trying to sell people on his religion :smallbiggrin:)

Pika...
2009-10-07, 02:04 PM
pss. What race would you make flav?

I myself have one in the pipeworks that is similar. He would be a gnome bard worshiper of Glitergold who specializes in Perform: (Dance), with a high DEX, no armor, and is named Micheal Cornelius Hammer.

Oh dear Sardior...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnAFBj9ejE

There are things one must never google out of curiosity. :smalleek:

ps. I am going to start stating him up ASAP...