PDA

View Full Version : ECL 1 Dragons?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-07, 10:25 AM
I was read the different dragon PC related threads and didn't want to derail

Is there a way to get an ECL 1 dragon for a PC..
Doesn't matter what color or type...

if there's nothing official

Post what you would let a player play(just cuz im curious).

Conditions:
True dragon(no kobolds)
ECL1
Starting gold to.

Zaydos
2009-10-07, 10:35 AM
Dragon magazine had monster class progressions for chromatic and metallic dragons but I forget which one (they're at home where I won't see them for months).

Mongoose87
2009-10-07, 10:42 AM
Dragon magazine had monster class progressions for chromatic and metallic dragons but I forget which one (they're at home where I won't see them for months).

Issue 320 for Metallic. Also, note that if you don't take any levels in dragon, you could, in theory, simply use the base race and level in a class.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-07, 10:53 AM
Issue 320 for Metallic. Also, note that if you don't take any levels in dragon, you could, in theory, simply use the base race and level in a class.

hmm i didn't think of that

Eloel
2009-10-07, 10:58 AM

No, you can't. You have to take those levels.

bosssmiley
2009-10-07, 11:06 AM
The 20 level Dragon progressions were pretty crappy though. Sure, they worked according to LA rules, but you ended up playing a CR~12 creature at 20th level. In effect: a Cohort's cohort's cohort's cohort.

You could either play something like a dragonborn (adapt it from 4E) dragon shaman, or work out a simple homebrew progression so that a level n dragon racial class gets to play as an actual level n character.

A homebrew dragon class (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50211) (Gaming Den sweary warning)
Critique of the above + alternate schema for a dragon class (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50211) - based on Dragons *actually* being fanwanked jacks-of-all-trades (Gaming Den sweary warning)

Mongoose87
2009-10-07, 11:13 AM
No, you can't. You have to take those levels.

It says you only have to finish the levels of an age category once you've started it. Never take a level, never start it.