PDA

View Full Version : Natural + Manufactured Weapons and Full Attack

Delandel
2009-10-07, 12:38 PM
How does this work exactly?

Let's say I have a vampire (slam attack) that has 5 levels in barbarian and is wielding a greatsword. I know as a full attack he can attack with his greatsword (primary) and his slam attack (secondary). What if he's level 6 though, and gets an additional attack with his greatsword? Does it become two greatsword swings and a slam at the end with a -10 penalty (since it's a third attack), or is the slam no longer usable?

jiriku
2009-10-07, 12:40 PM
Secondary natural weapons will always be at -5, no matter how many iterative attacks you take with your weapon.

However, your particular example doesn't work, because the vampire's slam is done with his fist, and both his hands are occupied with wielding the greatsword.

Delandel
2009-10-07, 12:43 PM
True. Okay, wielding a longsword in one hand.

Mongoose87
2009-10-07, 12:49 PM
Secondary natural weapons will always be at -5, no matter how many iterative attacks you take with your weapon.

However, your particular example doesn't work, because the vampire's slam is done with his fist, and both his hands are occupied with wielding the greatsword.

Some DMs wil agree that he can make the slam as a boy check sort of thing.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-07, 12:52 PM

It actualy contrudicts it self ... in the attack it says eaither or..

but in the full attack section it says:

If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack along with a slam or other natural weapon as a natural secondary attack.

though regardless you can make natural weapon attacks as secondary attacks.

Such as

If you have a creature that is 6th level barbarian and has a slam and a bite attack... then it would be something like this

greatsword 6/1 bite +1 slam +1 all on a full attack.

Delandel
2009-10-07, 01:27 PM
Excellent. Okay, so my understanding now is that the vampire with +6 BAB wielding a longsword on a full attack can either make two swings with his longsword (primary + secondary) or one longsword swing + slam.

I got another question, it's horribly off-topic but I felt guilty starting yet another thread: is there any gear out there that offers a bonus to turn resistance? My fearless barbarian vampire would like to try and resist running away screaming like a little girl each time the cleric raises up a little wooden symbol.

NoldorForce
2009-10-07, 01:36 PM
Excellent. Okay, so my understanding now is that the vampire with +6 BAB wielding a longsword on a full attack can either make two swings with his longsword (primary + secondary) or one longsword swing + slam.Not quite; the gist of natural weapons is that as long as the appropriate limb or whatever is available, you can make an attack with it in addition to everything else. The tradeoff is that most natural weapons don't get iterative attacks. So in your example, the vampire would have two longsword attacks (+6/+1) and one slam attack (+6). Because the longsword is the primary weapon, the slam would suffer a -5 penalty for being a secondary weapon.

I got another question, it's horribly off-topic but I felt guilty starting yet another thread: is there any gear out there that offers a bonus to turn resistance? My fearless barbarian vampire would like to try and resist running away screaming like a little girl each time the cleric raises up a little wooden symbol.I dunno offhand, though there's probably a list in the caved-in remains of the WotC boards.

jiriku
2009-10-07, 03:42 PM
Excellent. Okay, so my understanding now is that the vampire with +6 BAB wielding a longsword on a full attack can either make two swings with his longsword (primary + secondary) or one longsword swing + slam.

I got another question, it's horribly off-topic but I felt guilty starting yet another thread: is there any gear out there that offers a bonus to turn resistance? My fearless barbarian vampire would like to try and resist running away screaming like a little girl each time the cleric raises up a little wooden symbol.

I believe there is both a feat and a cloak in Libris Mortis that offer turn resistance.

So, assuming your vampire was, say, a sixth-level fighter, your BAB modifieres would be something like this:

one slam at +6
iterative attacks with longsword at +6/+1
combined sword and slam at +6/+1/+1 (sword/sword/slam)

For a more complicated example, if you were, say, a 9th level vampire monk with improved TWF (unarmed strike and offhand kama), you'd have options something like this:

one slam at +6
flurry of blows with unarmed strike +6/+6/+1
ITWF with unarmed strike and kama +4/+4/-1/+4/-1 (strike/strike/strike/kama/kama)
flurry of blows and slam +6/+6/+1/+1 (strike/strike/strike/slam)
ITWF and slam +4/+4/-1/+4/-1/-1 (strike/strike/strike/kama/kama/slam)

Which seems impressive, until you realize that you're mostly just missing with those attacks.