PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/ Cleric Power Playing tips

Liamforth
2009-10-07, 02:47 PM
Yo everyone,

I am quite an experienced 3.5e player but normally focus on the role playing side of it rather then the power play side of it.
for my next campaign i have to be a lv9 character on my own so i am planing to power play, and don't know much about how to pull it off xP so wondering if you could give me some tips

i plan on being a cleric or a paladin so any suggestions

thanking you guys

p.s. new to this forum so sorry if i left any information out thanks

Grushvak
2009-10-07, 02:54 PM
I never made a Priestzilla so I'm only going from what I heard, but I believe you should start with this.

Human Cleric

Extend Spell (Planning domain)
Extra Turning (Undeath domain)
Persistent Spell (Human feat)
Divine Metamagic (Level 1 feat)

And just roll with it. With only that, you can already persist one spell a day at level 1. Choose the best spells and develop your character from there.

Also, if your DM allows it, stock up on Nightsticks (rods from Libris Mortis). 4 extra turning attempts per day for each one you possess. They're only 7500gp each, and they'll allow you to go utterly crazy with Divine Metamagic.

Hope this helps.

Kredine
2009-10-07, 02:57 PM
I'm his DM and for the information I'm allowing all supplement books =].
Make this man epic!

Telonius
2009-10-07, 02:57 PM
If you're going for pure power, Cleric is your best bet. Divine Metamagic, Persistent Spell (Divine Power), Extra Turning, and a Nightstick*, and you effectively have the attack bonus of a Paladin.

The problem with Paladin is that it's extremely front-loaded. You don't get much (more than nothing, but not much) after about level 6.

If you want to have a Cleric but really want that Paladin mount, a Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) might interest you. Take the first three levels only. You'll lose a caster level and have to spend a feat on Mounted Combat, but if you're going that route you'll have wanted the feat anyway. Three levels will get you the best parts of Paladin while still giving you almost the full casting power of a Cleric.

* - I do not advocate actually doing this, but by RAW there's no limit on the number of Nightsticks you can have. Most sane DMs will limit it to one or two at most.

Liamforth
2009-10-07, 03:03 PM
Awesome thanks for the quick replies

taken your tips on board i think i may as you suggested take the first 3 levels of paladin as i have seen what a beefed up mount can do

and i will look into the Libris Mortis stuffage

thanks again guys xD

Grushvak
2009-10-07, 03:12 PM
Awesome thanks for the quick replies

taken your tips on board i think i may as you suggested take the first 3 levels of paladin as i have seen what a beefed up mount can do

and i will look into the Libris Mortis stuffage

thanks again guys xD

Have fun, and don't forget to bring crackers to go with the cheese.

Man, that was bad. Sorry.

Eldariel
2009-10-07, 03:36 PM
I strongly suggest just Epic Smitetitude that is ClericZilla. You take any Prestige Class that advances divine casting, though Dweomerkeeper is the most powerful. Church Inquisitor is probably a bit more modest, but still great PrC if LG fits you (and as a "Paladin", I'm betting it will). Enterable at level 4, so you'd be Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 5.

You could use Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) for extra skillpoints; the BAB doesn't matter because of persisting that will happen and the skillpoints can be used to fuel Knowledge Devotion [Complete Champion].

Anyways, Planning (pretty fitting for anything Lawful) and Undeath (given it grants you Extra Turning, it's very fitting for anyone seeking to eradicate the undead, as such fitting Good) domains [Spell Compendium] are indeed great choices. They grant you Extend Spell and Extra Turning as bonus feats. Then you use your first level (be a Human for bonus feat) to pick up Persistent Spell [Complete Arcane] and Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell [Complete Divine]. I'd still rather pick Spell-domain though and use "Spontaneous Domain Casting"-variant from PHBII, which allows you to spontaneously cast your Domain-spells from one domain. Spell-domain has Anyspell and Greater Anyspell which allow you to replicate much of the Wizard's spell list.

After that, take two Character Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) to grant you two extra feats; which Flaws, depends on you, though optimally ones that have minimal impact on your character (Shaky & Feeble, for example). This gets you two more bonus feats. Pick up Power Attack and, depending on whether your DM allows using multiple Nightsticks [Libris Mortis] to fuel Divine Metamagic, free feat or Extra Turning.

So you'd look like this to start with:
Human Cloistered Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 5 [Planning, Spell & Inquisition-domains - worship LG concept]
1. Persistent Spell
Human. Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell
Flaw. Power Attack
Flaw. Extra Turning
Domain-trade. Knowledge Devotion
3. Extra Turning
6. Extra Turning
9. Extra Turning

"Craft Wondrous Items" could be worthwhile (to make your own items), and 12th feat should be "Quicken Spell". "Craft Rod" is a must if you are using Nightsticks.

Then you Persist a bunch of spells; start with:
Divine Power
Righteous Might

from core. This gets you full BAB, +10 Str, some Con and a small Dex-penalty; Divine Favor is something you'll Quicken once you acquire Quicken Spell. Then acquire "Beads of Karma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads)" ASAP (Craft 'em if you have Craft Wondrous Items) and cast Extended Magic Vestment (on your floating shield and your armor) and Extended Greater Magic Weapon in the morning for massive boosts.

Use a wooden weapon (Darkwood Anything, for example), cast Extended Spikes for +10 damage, persist a bunch of Spell Compendium spells in:
Holy Transformation, Lesser
Recitation
Mass Lesser Vigor (Fast Healing for your entire party!)
Conviction (though it's usually sufficient to just Extend it a couple of times)
Recitation
Girallon's Blessing+Fuse Arms (might not be necessary to persist, again)
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful
Surge of Fortune [Complete Champion]

On level 11, enter Contemplative, pick up e.g. Undeath-domain and yeah, go on with Contemplative. And yeah, profit. You can then go into the frontline, having buffed your allies with your persistent spells, with an insane AC and To Hit and saves, and smite some infidel arse.

Woot Spitum
2009-10-07, 05:13 PM
If you're going paladin, grab spirited charge and dual wield lances while mounted. Pick halfling or some other small creature as your race and ride a dire bat. You will be able to do ridiculous damage on a charge, in addition to being able to fly.