PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Inherent Bonuses

Aron Times
2009-10-07, 02:53 PM
I updated the Character Builder earlier today, and I noticed a new option in it: Inherent bonuses. Basically, this variant allows one to play with little to no magic items and still be able to function effectively in combat.

Has anyone tried this variant yet, with or without magic items?

Blackfang108
2009-10-07, 03:59 PM
I updated the Character Builder earlier today, and I noticed a new option in it: Inherent bonuses. Basically, this variant allows one to play with little to no magic items and still be able to function effectively in combat.

Has anyone tried this variant yet, with or without magic items?

This appeared in the DMG II.

I'm fairly sure people were doing this before it was published.

Mando Knight
2009-10-07, 04:09 PM
This appeared in the DMG II.
Not exactly what he asked... He was wondering if anyone followed those rules as they appear in the DMG2, which is an option to follow in the Character Builder.

Yes, but now it's been codified as an officially recognized variant, so you can print out your power cards and such taking those bonuses into account.

Blackfang108
2009-10-07, 04:58 PM
Not exactly what he asked... He was wondering if anyone followed those rules as they appear in the DMG2, which is an option to follow in the Character Builder.

Hey, I'm just trying to help him out. It's helpful to know WHERE these things are from. (especially as the CB isn't always perfect)

Yes, but now it's been codified as an officially recognized variant, so you can print out your power cards and such taking those bonuses into account.

And this relates to what I said how?

AllisterH
2009-10-07, 06:58 PM
The DM rewards are also there so you can get the effects of boons from DMG2.

Makes potential DArksun characters more in tune with the setting (I imagine that the DS book for 4e will have a blurb that says "when using the character builder, use the INherent bonus variant to construct DS characters"

Kurald Galain
2009-10-07, 07:35 PM

Sure. There have been several threads on how to play 4E with less (or without) magic items.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-10-07, 10:08 PM
I started a no-item, no-wealth, post apocalyptic ice age game (set during the "Winter War" mentioned in Divine Power) over the summer, and its going very well. Players get inherent enhancement bonuses, and extra utility powers to make up for the lack of items.

I think a lot of people recognized that 4e was a great system to do this in when it came out.

I'm interested in seeing what the "official" WotC rules for this will be, and if they are similar to mine at all.