PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Burger

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-07, 06:03 PM
Ninja Burger, the name itself screams out "This is WEIRD".

Ninja Burger is a roleplaying game set in Modern times on Earth. The idea is that you and your companions work for Ninja Burger, a honor-bound fast-food franchise, and you deliver.

...of course, delivering is NEVER easy.

You are regularly ambushed by your competitors, and regular crooks and criminals, and you must kill or be killed.

One foe stands out above all others: Pirate Pizza. An age-old nemesis to your honorable business.

I have heard strange things about the game, which has only made it all the more intriguing.

Arbitrary rules, such as, you must commit Sepiku (spell check?) if you are late on a delivery, and you always fight to the death against Pirate Pizza.

Has anyone heard much about Ninja Burger, or better yet, played it?

I have been considering playing it, but I don't have any of the manuals, and I don't know if it will be worth it.

Wooter
2009-10-07, 06:04 PM
That sort of sounds like the Deliverators from Snow Crash.

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-07, 06:06 PM
I only know it as Ninja Burger, but it may be that Ninja Burger is only a small portion of a larger game.

Though I seem to remember Ninja Burger was a stand-alone game, with only one manual.

I think the only dice it required were D6's and D20's or something.

Guancyto
2009-10-07, 06:13 PM
Ninja Burger is a fantastic game. It is also completely and utterly weird. It's been a while since I've gotten to play, but I remember it using d6 (maybe d20 too, I forget).

If you happen to roll 2d6 and they both come up a 1, you become Snake Eyes and will succeed on every action provided you do not speak aloud at the table.

If you commit seppuku without the DM telling you you can, it's Hara-Kiri and the next character you make can only put skills in Geography.

It's good times.

herrhauptmann
2009-10-07, 06:13 PM
That sort of sounds like the Deliverators from Snow Crash.

Was about to mention that book. Does it seem odd to any other readers of the book, that the mafia runs a pizza delivery service?

Tanthul, I'd say try to have players take the game with a grain of salt and humor. Don't try to make it super serious.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-07, 06:28 PM
The RPG is very nice. But stay away from the identically-named card game, which is seriously boring.

Lycan 01
2009-10-07, 06:41 PM
I MUST PLAY THIS GAME!! :biggrin:

Is there a clearly defined rule system, or can you wing it as long as you have a basic grasp of the system and setting, like Paranoia? :smallconfused:

Thrawn183
2009-10-07, 06:43 PM
I've played the card game. It can be enjoyable if you're sitting around waiting for the DM to figure out what you've just done to her campaign setting.

It's less fun if you play with people who are trying really hard to win and taking it really seriously. Essentially don't play it with the kind of people who try to "win" at D&D.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-07, 07:17 PM
I've played the card game. It can be enjoyable if you're sitting around waiting for the DM to figure out what you've just done to her campaign setting.

...er, the card game doesn't have a DM...

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-07, 07:55 PM
The RPG is very nice. But stay away from the identically-named card game, which is seriously boring.

Says you! It's a strategy game, not a fast-paced card game. Think more like Monopoly in card form.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-07, 07:57 PM
Wait, it isn't a made up game from the movie Gamers 2?
It really exists?

TelemontTanthul
2009-10-07, 07:58 PM
Card game? Monopoly? Strategy?

I thought we were talking about Ninja Burger?

Or did I just fall behind in the convo? I'm not sure.

Moglorosh
2009-10-07, 07:58 PM
I do not believe that's what the post was trying to convey.

root9125
2009-10-07, 07:59 PM

Right... he says it's a great time waster when you're already doing other things. This being GitP, he assumed D&D would be a good example.

EleventhHour
2009-10-07, 08:00 PM
...Is it bad if I was expecting hamburgers in black pajamas?

In any case, this sounds like a ton of laughs... does someone else get to play the pirate? Pirate versus ninja arguements abound on the tabletop.

(Pirates win.)

Lycan 01
2009-10-07, 08:01 PM
Wait, its a card game? :smallconfused:

I'm so confused... Where can I get the rules for this game?

Gametime
2009-10-07, 08:09 PM
Wait, it isn't a made up game from the movie Gamers 2?
It really exists?

What he said.

I am beyond excited the prospect of playing this.

Grynning
2009-10-07, 08:13 PM
In case people didn't know, the games are based on an Internet humor site (http://www.ninjaburger.com/) that was popular when a lot of my generation was starting college. It used to let you place orders and everything.

An excerpt:

Ordering From Ninja Burger

We wish all the time to be able to provide you hot fresh delivery and to propose to you a joy of eating burger life. Let's enjoy the burger with a smooth fries of our ancestors. You will be sure you will be satisfied.

Ninja Burger bring happy life, healthy life. Guaranteed, or we commit seppuku.

As masters of the ancient art of Fast Food Delivery, we guarantee that all our customers are happy. In fact, there is no such thing as an unhappy customer. We mean that. If you are unhappy, we will be happy to send a ninja deliveryperson to speak with you about what is making you unhappy. And then you will be happy. Or else you will not be. Alive, that is.

woodenbandman
2009-10-07, 09:14 PM
I would run this.

Zaq
2009-10-07, 09:23 PM
Says you! It's a strategy game, not a fast-paced card game. Think more like Monopoly in card form.

It's a Steve Jackson game. That should tell you all you need to know.
Hint: Steve Jackson has made exactly one game, ever, and has sold it ten thousand times.

As for the RPG, I've read the book and I'd seriously like to get a copy of it. If I'm not mistaken, it's by the folks who made the superb Kobolds Ate My Baby, isn't it? I know that it uses the SAKE (read: BEER) engine, so I assume it's the same company. I've sadly never played, but I'd really like to.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-10-07, 09:38 PM
I got Ninja Burger a couple of years ago, but still haven't gotten around to using it. It's a pretty hilarious system though.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-08, 03:20 AM
Yes, in that both Ninja Burger and Monopoly are highly random and don't really involve strategy all that much.

Many of the deliveries are just too prone to failure, meaning a decent "strategy" in the game is to do as little as possible while the other players try to do stuff and fail.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 04:14 AM
i thought this was about the webcomic/s of the same name...
http://ninjaburger.com/comic/

Oslecamo
2009-10-08, 06:21 AM
i thought this was about the webcomic/s of the same name...
http://ninjaburger.com/comic/

Well, that comic looks like it's inspired in the game, since it's also a ninja delivering burgers:smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-08, 09:36 AM
Yes, in that both Ninja Burger and Monopoly are highly random and don't really involve strategy all that much.

Many of the deliveries are just too prone to failure, meaning a decent "strategy" in the game is to do as little as possible while the other players try to do stuff and fail.

You're right, I mentioned the wrong thing.

The Ninja Burger Card Game (from Steve Jackson games) is more akin to the card game FYN (**** Your Neighbor). The entire point is to screw with the other players and pray they can't fight back.