PDA

View Full Version : treating you poorly

RandomNPC
2009-10-07, 09:15 PM
While reading the ranting of bus/transit posts one of them inspired this post (the one about the angry lady glaring at the poster)

So go ahead and share, when have you been mistreated ie: you were treated poorly without doing something to the other person/s first.

So there i am working at a grocery store, putting up those pre-mixed bags of salad. So this older lady comes over and sits on the lower ledge formed by the cooler for the salad, and I ask if she needs anything. She looks at me, her eyes go wide, and she insists her legs are just tired. Figuring she looked a bit on the frail side i let it go.
I don't even get two bags of salad on the shelf and she slumps over enough to catch it out of the corner of my eye, i ask again, she insists she's fine, and as she's finishing her sentance a co-worker of mine walks by, this older lady stops her, asks her for a cup of water and to call an ambulance.

turns out some of the employees knew her (but not the one she stopped) later on i found out she had a stroke, but was terrified by the fact that a guy had a ponytail and was affraid to ask for help, even after i offered it twice.

Stormthorn
2009-10-07, 09:24 PM
Being afraid of someone isnt treating them poorly. Now if she punched you when you asked if she needed help....

Where do you live? In some places ponytails are synonymous with troublemakers.

Faulty
2009-10-07, 09:38 PM
Summer camp and 3rd through 12th grade.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-07, 09:55 PM
Theres this guy who goes by the 'net handle "Thanatos5150" or various premutations thereof who keeps on putting me down, like, all the time, challanging my worth as a human being.

I hate that guy.

Dracomorph
2009-10-07, 10:16 PM
Theres this guy who goes by the 'net handle "Thanatos5150" or various premutations thereof who keeps on putting me down, like, all the time, challanging my worth as a human being.

I hate that guy.

That guy sounds like a jerk. You shouldn't listen to him.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-07, 10:21 PM
That guy sounds like a jerk. You shouldn't listen to him.

He's EVERYWHERE! I can't get rid of him!Yes, I am making fun of myself.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 03:47 AM

I hate that guy.
Holy cr-p, do you know this guy or i it some random lunatic who's just taken a disliking to you over the internet?

I very rarely get treated poorly for no reason, everything I get I usually deserve because I have all the social skills and tact of a rotten onion.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-08, 05:27 AM
Holy cr-p, do you know this guy or i it some random lunatic who's just taken a disliking to you over the internet?

I very rarely get treated poorly for no reason, everything I get I usually deserve because I have all the social skills and tact of a rotten onion.

Check the second post for white text.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 06:31 AM
Check the second post for white text.

:smallredface: Damn. Don't I feel like a stupid a-- now.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-08, 07:14 AM
Summer camp and 3rd through 12th grade.

ITT: everyone complaining of the social injustice of school and hormonal teenagers :smallwink:

loopy
2009-10-08, 07:19 AM

I hate that guy.

Oh my god, yeah, he keeps hassling me over MSN. Its not fair at all! :smallfrown:

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-08, 07:48 AM
Well there's those jerks that take my wet laundry and dump it on the floor. At least put it on a machine!

Etcetera
2009-10-08, 10:35 AM
Yay, I've inspired a thread. I think.

I'm fairly well treated, although it annoys me that my sister gets awy with alot more than me.

varthalon
2009-10-08, 12:12 PM
I'm very over-weight and I frequently notice that I'm being avoided. Now a girl avoiding looking at me in a bar sucks but isn't really unfair, and even when a chair in a theater or restaurant isn't a good fit its something I just deal with. But when I go into a store shopping and the clerks avoid serving me that pisses me off. It is not uncommon at all for me to sit there and watch clerks swarm helpfully all around people that walked in after me so that they don't get stuck with 'that fat guy'.

I had one evening standing on a street outside a subway station trying to get a cab and none of them would stop. It wasn't a bad part of town, I don't look like a violent criminal but I was in old jeans and a tee-shirt so cabbies probably read it as 'fat guy that probably is a non-tipper,' moving on.

When Tyra Banks did her little investigative thing where she went around with and without a fat suit... yep, that's exactly what its like.

GoC
2009-10-08, 12:51 PM
How hard have you tried to lose weight?

Faulty
2009-10-08, 12:53 PM
ITT: everyone complaining of the social injustice of school and hormonal teenagers :smallwink:

I'm not kidding, and I won't have that be made light of given the therapy I've needed to get over it. I need neither your pity nor your self-righteousness, thank you very much.

varthalon
2009-10-08, 01:43 PM
How hard have you tried to lose weight?

Hardly at all... which is a big part of why I usually let it go when its things like small chairs and social situations - its my fault I'm the size I am so I don't blame the people who designed the chair or a girl at a club that blows me off. But when its someone's JOB to serve you and they don't because of how you look, be it weight or hairstyle or how your dressed, then it that does irk me.

It's true that I should loose weight: its dangerous and unhealthy for me, but they should do their job regardless of who or what I look like.

Faulty
2009-10-08, 02:00 PM
People don't have to be sexually attracted to you, but really, any other form of bias against you is really unfair. If someone tries a stupid stunt on the skate board and paralyzes themselves below the waist as a result, they don't deserve mistreatment because of it.

varthalon
2009-10-08, 02:40 PM
If someone tries a stupid stunt on the skate board and paralyzes themselves below the waist as a result, they don't deserve mistreatment because of it.

Thats a very good way of putting it. If I was paralyzed I would hate it, I would have to deal with lots of problems (building accessability, people that wouldn't be attacted to me because of the disability, etc) but I would have to learn to accept that those are problems I will always have. But other bias' especially in a business setting are inappropriate (and actually in the case of someone being paralysed - illegal).

Faulty
2009-10-08, 02:53 PM
You might also have a genetic tendency towards being heavy set, in which case it's less of your fault than you'd assume.

zeratul
2009-10-08, 03:01 PM
Basically all off middle school I got made fun of pretty harshly and punched and stuff pretty frequently (I wouldn't care if the kid doing it hadn't been a black belt and prone to punching really hard). I know this is pretty commonplace, but given the severity of the two things I got horribly depressed, had frequent revenge fantasies, and got my head ****ed up pretty good. That said that's probably molded me into who I am today which is in some ways at least a good thing, and people don't mess with me anymore because the split seems to be that generally people who don't already know me either assume I'm awesome or assume I'm going to shoot up the school (my neutral face is apparently somewhat menacing, and I often wear a black trench coat). So I guess in the long run it worked out pretty well?

Lappy9000
2009-10-08, 03:53 PM
I think I've mentioned it before, but I apparently look like a thug. Dunno if it's the dark circles under my eyes (those'd be mom's genetics) or my habit of walking fast (I'm rather tall), but there's probably about a 40-60% chance of a security guard tailing me when I go into a mall on my own.

Once, I went into a gas station to get a soda and some change to use the payphone, and the cashier looked at me like she thought I was gonna pull out a gun and hold up the place :smalltongue:

GoC
2009-10-08, 04:02 PM
I think I've mentioned it before, but I apparently look like a thug. Dunno if it's the dark circles under my eyes (those'd be mom's genetics) or my habit of walking fast (I'm rather tall), but there's probably about a 40-60% chance of a security guard tailing me when I go into a mall on my own.

Once, I went into a gas station to get a soda and some change to use the payphone, and the cashier looked at me like she thought I was gonna pull out a gun and hold up the place :smalltongue:

Are you black? If so, I'd like permission to go on a rant about racism.

Lappy9000
2009-10-08, 05:46 PM
Are you black? If so, I'd like permission to go on a rant about racism. Not in the slightest :smalltongue:

And I don't think the mods would appreciate that rant...

karnokoto
2009-10-08, 05:49 PM
I used to work as a cashier at a popular community grocery store.
Holy crap. That place was filled with 2 kinds of people- senile but sweet old folks, and raging lunatics.
Middle-aged women, especially, seemed to be bad...they were just so pushy. Rude, disrespectful, downright crabby.

I'm not a shining beacon of social skill but I'm not exactly a leper either, so I can see both sides of it- and anyone who avoids or mistreats someone for their weight deserves to wear a fatsuit for the rest of their lives.

And don't even get me started on the looks I get as a young white woman walking around with a black guy that LOOKS like hes 5 years older than me (hes not, only 6 months actually). People can be jerks.

Adlan
2009-10-08, 06:33 PM
Are you black? If so, I'd like permission to go on a rant about racism.

I'd like permission to rant at you for 1. bringing up racism when there was no indication of it, 2. Assuming that all racism is anti black, plenty is anti asian, anti indian, anti white (bonus points if the other white has a different accent), and of course, ethnic combination you can think of. I've walked into a shop in a part of town ethnically different from me late at night, having been out for a run (so wearing tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. I have a tattoo visible with a vest, so if that had been visible I'd have blamed that). I passed two big guys of the local area's ethnicity so I don't think it was my size, or my clothing.

What it was was I was different and unexpected, and I think the poor guy running the shop was convinced I was gonna be violent, or rob him.

Anyone watch Trisha? (She's a Chat show host in the UK), She used to go to the supermarket I worked at, she treated all the staff poorly.

Thats just one example, I'm sure like everyone here, I can go on, and on about the times I've been poorly treated in life.

Eon
2009-10-08, 06:36 PM
eh, i usually just get the one that hurts me the most... i get excluded for being a nerd and not being athletic... (which are 2 different things)

Crimmy
2009-10-08, 06:45 PM
I'd like permission to rant at you for 1. bringing up racism when there was no indication of it, 2. Assuming that all racism is anti black, plenty is anti asian, anti indian, anti white (bonus points if the other white has a different accent), and of course, ethnic combination you can think of. I've walked into a shop in a part of town ethnically different from me late at night, having been out for a run (so wearing tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt. I have a tattoo visible with a vest, so if that had been visible I'd have blamed that). I passed two big guys of the local area's ethnicity so I don't think it was my size, or my clothing.

What it was was I was different and unexpected, and I think the poor guy running the shop was convinced I was gonna be violent, or rob him.

Anyone watch Trisha? (She's a Chat show host in the UK), She used to go to the supermarket I worked at, she treated all the staff poorly.

Thats just one example, I'm sure like everyone here, I can go on, and on about the times I've been poorly treated in life.

You missed Anti-Latinos... :smallfrown:

EleventhHour
2009-10-08, 06:48 PM
You missed Anti-Latinos... :smallfrown:

And Anti-Irish. :smallfrown:

( :smallwink: )

Faulty
2009-10-08, 08:18 PM
2. Assuming that all racism is anti black, plenty is anti asian, anti indian, anti white (bonus points if the other white has a different accent), and of course, ethnic combination you can think of.

Mentioning racism against black people does not mean he doesn't recognize other forms of racism.

zeratul
2009-10-08, 08:57 PM
Isn't there a rule against talking about real world race on the forums?

Crimmy
2009-10-08, 09:05 PM
I believe there is one...

Ooops, sorry. It only counts if there is an insult against somebody because of being of a certain ethnicity. (meaning racism of any kind.)

BritishBill
2009-10-09, 02:03 AM
Ive been treated poorly for the first half of my life and than some, but after i hit puberty I started to lose my shyness. So anybody that insulted me was in for a rude awakening when i blew up on them. I am notorious for a short temper :smallfurious:

GoC
2009-10-09, 02:46 AM
I'd like permission to rant at you

Granted at 1. Denied at 2.

varthalon
2009-10-12, 09:48 AM
WOW!

I just went back to my old Junior High to pick up my nephew, I was early and decided to walk the halls for a few minutes for the nostalgia... how in the world does anybody survive in that environment. In a few minutes I saw more awkwardness, hygiene problems, clicks, hate and hurtfullness than I see in a several weeks as an adult.

Any playgrounders in Junior or Senior High... hold on there. Life is often not perfect when you get out of institutional education but it does get much, much better. (plus there is the law of inverse rewards... those that seem to suffer the most in school seem to get the most out of life afterwards).

SDF
2009-10-12, 05:41 PM
(plus there is the law of inverse rewards... those that seem to suffer the most in school seem to get the most out of life afterwards).

It really depends. If you are bullied for being smart maybe. If you are teased for being fat, it's never going to work in your favor and you will continue to be made fun of or discriminated against. If HS sucks because you have bad social skills you will probably never hold public office or end up on the managerial track.

Anuan
2009-10-12, 09:05 PM
Basically all off middle school I got made fun of pretty harshly and punched and stuff pretty frequently (I wouldn't care if the kid doing it hadn't been a black belt and prone to punching really hard).

He should have been expelled from his dojo/dojang. Most of them have an oath when you join up that includes using your arts only in defence of yourself or others.

On the note, I'm another of the typical 'got picked on for being wierd and geeky' guys. I could have broken most of them after eighth grade, but I always tried to suppress my anger problems, so fights weren't as common as they could have been, unless someone physically started a fight. That happened sometimes, but usually only once with each person...

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-12, 09:24 PM
He should have been expelled from his dojo/dojang. Most of them have an oath when you join up that includes using your arts only in defence of yourself or others.

many organisations make you have to sign up for a yearly lisence... if they're failing to teach him discipline i doubt they really care

Xyk
2009-10-12, 09:37 PM
I believe it was mentioned but wearing trench coats can help deter bullies. I have been wearing one lately for the lulz and have been getting comments about looking 100% tougher. I don't get picked on a whole lot anyways because I'm good at avoiding conflict but wearing a trench coat is the most comfortable, warmest, and driest way to deter bullies.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 09:50 PM
I believe it was mentioned but wearing trench coats can help deter bullies. I have been wearing one lately for the lulz and have been getting comments about looking 100% tougher. I don't get picked on a whole lot anyways because I'm good at avoiding conflict but wearing a trench coat is the most comfortable, warmest, and driest way to deter bullies.

For a second I thought you said bullets. Which would mean your school is significantly tougher than mine was.

I wore a trench coat in Highschool. It intimidates teachers as well, which may or may not be to your advantage.

_Zoot_
2009-10-13, 01:02 AM
It really depends. If you are bullied for being smart maybe. If you are teased for being fat, it's never going to work in your favor and you will continue to be made fun of or discriminated against. If HS sucks because you have bad social skills you will probably never hold public office or end up on the managerial track.

And here I was about to say that I like the idea of this 'law of inverse rewards' stuff.... :smallfrown: