PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable moments of D&D

jamminjelly
2009-10-07, 09:33 PM
Post your tales of the best moments of D&D that you've ever experienced.

Mine would have to be during a less serious campaign. We were searching through a Lich's lair to find his phylactery and double cross him. When we interrogated a talking skull, he led us to a box under some stairs. The lich had then found us when we expelled the contents of the box. It turns out that the phylactery had been switched with cookies, and the Lich was pretty pissed at us for ruining his baked goods. We then had to try and fight the Lich but were failing miserably. When we were on our last rope I thought for a second and calmly asked the DM, "Can a do a detect magic check...on the cookies."

"I'll allow it."

"I got a 23."

"YOU REALIZE THAT THE COOKIES ARE UNMISTAKABLY THE LICH'S PHYLACTERY!"

Needles to say, I smashed the cookies, which stopped the Lich from attacking us further.

...best moment ever.

Lycan 01
2009-10-07, 09:54 PM
Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Um... Well, I've got two players who I usually run games for. One is a Paladin of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the other is a Halfling Warlock. The Pally is Unalligned, the Warlock is Chaotic Evil. Boy, are they fun! :smallbiggrin:

They once blew up a cow. They were walking down the road, and started making Perception checks. Upon failing, the Warlock climbed onto the Pally's shoulders and asked to try again. I told him he saw a cow - he shot it with a fireball. It exploded into flames... Later on, passing back through, the saw a farmer one the side of the road. He had a small stand set up, with big chunks of cooked cow meat stuck between hunks of bread. He said he was trying to sell off the meat from his only cow, which was randomly killed earlier that day, leaving him with no source of income. Feeling guilty, they paid the farmer the full price of the cow in exchange for a sandwich. They then left, still feeling kinda bad for the whole thing...

Later on, passing through that area again, they discovered the farmer had invested the moeny they gave him and set up the world's firt BBQ restaraunt. :smallbiggrin: It is now a running gag in their games, and eventually the farmer will open up a chain of restaraunts in other parts of the country. XD

The Paladin also has a habit of converting enemies to his religeon. He once threw down his weapons, dropped to one knee, and offered a scared Goblin minion eternal salvation and endless spaghetti dinners through the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I told him to make a roll... I forgot what it was. It worked. Twice. In the same battle. :smallcool: He's converted... an old married couple, a clerk at a hotel, two goblins, and some kobolds, IIRC. And he gets XP for every conversion, plus the FSM is slowly gaining strength... :smallwink:

Sire deHawkwood
2009-10-07, 09:58 PM
Four session of the Savage tide Adventure path. We're going to this pirates cove and I'm asking the rest of the party how we are going to get there, by land or by sea. Everybody, but me votes land, I wanted to take the sea route because it would have been faster. So we buy horses and set off on the land route through a marsh, moving like ****.
GM rolls a random encounter. Asks for a ride check and then a reflex save from all of us. everybody but me passes, I fail horribly and am immediately incenerated by a six headed pyro hydra and set the marsh on fire and the GM realises that htis was the most messed up encounter ever and ret cons us back to buying the horses.

It was decided that we told the merchant we were buying our horses from where we were going and he then took us up onto the roof of his stable and pointed in the direction of the now burning marsh. We all immedately decided to take a boat to the cove.

Lioness
2009-10-07, 10:10 PM
Four session of the Savage tide Adventure path. We're going to this pirates cove and I'm asking the rest of the party how we are going to get there, by land or by sea. Everybody, but me votes land, I wanted to take the sea route because it would have been faster. So we buy horses and set off on the land route through a marsh, moving like ****.
GM rolls a random encounter. Asks for a ride check and then a reflex save from all of us. everybody but me passes, I fail horribly and am immediately incenerated by a six headed pyro hydra and set the marsh on fire and the GM realises that htis was the most messed up encounter ever and ret cons us back to buying the horses.

It was decided that we told the merchant we were buying our horses from where we were going and he then took us up onto the roof of his stable and pointed in the direction of the now burning marsh. We all immedately decided to take a boat to the cove.

We're doing Savage Tides too!

At one point we had to hoist a horse up a cliff. Damn Avner and his horse. Grrr.

Assassin89
2009-10-07, 10:23 PM
This recently happened. My group is still looking for a sword that belonged to someone known as Emerald Cobra. When the group comes to a chasm with well-worn paths on both sides, I suggested throwing a rock onto one of the paths. Despite this suggestion, the party rogue and paladin go down the paths, and fall into a pit trap. When I suggested throwing a rock in the chasm either the rogue or the paladin said "This isn't Indiana Jones." The healer, who found the rock then throws the rock onto the chasm, and it turns out that there was a wall of force. The DM then told the player who said that the situation wasn't like Indiana Jones that it was like Indiana Jones.

Then there is the story of the deadly tentacle rape. To summarize it, I enter a room, and I am reduced to -20 hit points by a negative energy battery, resulting in a chunky mess. This death is the second most memorable death that the DM ever saw in a d20 system game.

Squirrel_Domain
2009-10-07, 11:18 PM
We once had a barbarian/frenzied berzerker our party named Gar. He was playing the incredibly unimaginative "I like smash things" fellow. We were surrounded on all sides by 4 massive mobs of soldiers and peasants. While the rest of us took on 3 of the mobs, he took on one alone. Due to his cleave feats, he struck down the first soldier... then proceeded to kill every single person in the mob with consecutive cleave attacks. He crit I don't know how many times. The DM said that this was represented in-game by Gar slamming his sword into the ground, causing everyone in the mob to literally explode in a rain of gore and armor :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2009-10-07, 11:32 PM
The party was fighting an adult black dragon on its own turf (open bog). The water was kind of deep and prevented the PCs from moving around much. They preferred to stay on the solid ground in the area, which made them very vulnerable to the dragon's strafing runs with its breath weapon.

The wizard's spells were barely having any effect on the dragon since it either kept saving or the wizard kept failing his SR breach checks.

The paladin and his mount (a dire wolf) had gotten in a couple of lucky hits when the dragon landed to power dive the wizard, so the monster was no longer at full HP.

The paladin at last decided to ready an attack for the dragon if it came down again. Since the dragon's breath weapon was still recharging, it tried to power dive the paladin.

The readied action went off, and the paladin scored a crit.

The dragon's head was split down the middle and was shoved down so hard by the impact that the dragon's corpse spun end over end over the party before flopping belly up into the bog.

Karsh
2009-10-07, 11:55 PM
Second to last session of a homebrew War of the Lance campaign in which we were busting through the last few rooms of a castle with a necromancer trying to create a superpowerful undead fire monster thing that was going to destroy most of Nordmaar. A green dragon (unsure of the age category) had killed the gully dwarf rogue earlier before flying off. We got the rogue resurrected when we met Zivilyn (my character's patron) in person when I brought the gods back to Krynn.

My character was a cleric who mostly just sucked for the entire game except for the artifact quarterstaff he had that was the Zivilyn equivalent of the Blue Crystal Staff of Mishakal.

After meeting Zivilyn, he got his Cleric spellcasting, and jumped massively in power. We had done a herald of Zivilyn a favor earlier in the game that got us an arrow and a bolt of Dragonslaying, and we lost the arrow when the dragon killed the rogue, but I still had the bolt (shot and missed, but it survived the 50% roll).

So, my cleric prepares True Strike and loads the bolt of slaying into his light crossbow when they get to a room with a door that reeks of chlorine gas.

We open the door, and the dragon is there waiting for us. He monologues for a bit about how foolish we were to try and fight him again, and that he would enjoy killing the rogue again. Just then, my cleric steps out from behind the door, casts True Strike as a surprise round, wins initiative, and manages to hit the dragon.

The DM rolled the fortitude save (honestly, very easy, especially for the dragon in question) in the open, and the die came to a stop on a 1. Everyone at the table erupted as the bolt one-shotted the dragon.

Later, we fought the necromancer and his wraith/skeleton minions, which my cleric dusted several times with Turn Undead. We managed to kill the necromancer, who then transformed into a Necromental (basically an undead elemental) that proceeded to curbstomp the party. I think two people were dying and nearly everyone else was about to be dying when, as a last-ditch effort, I hit it with a Cure Critical Wounds out of my staff, dealing exactly enough damage to destroy it and saving everyone's life.

It made up for sucking the rest of the campaign.

Earlier in the campaign, an assassin attacked us in a trap that was set just inside of a castle's gatehouse that was a double portcullis. One of the players was a Spiked Chain Marshal who used the Art of War aura to boost his special maneuver rolls out the wazoo. He disarmed the assassin twice and the Monk managed to Stun her a round later (causing her to drop two more weapons) before an alarm was sounded and soldiers started pouring into the courtyard while others ran into the gatehouse to shut the portcullises. My cleric shouted "Everyone grab one thing and run!" The DM told us we had 3 rounds to escape or Bad Things would happen, so we each spent a round to grab the nearest weapon disarmed from the assassin before booking it.

Since I was in Full Plate, my move was only 20', so when my Cleric sprinted underneath the gatehouse and wound up just on the other side of the portcullis when it finally slammed down, it was about as close of a shave as could be possible, especially since everyone else had already managed to escape.

We wound up, as a group of level 5, getting a +3 Short Sword, an Assassin's Dagger, a Sword of Subtlety, and a +3 Longsword. Needless to say, the treasure we found from the next several encounters was pretty substandard.

The funniest part was when she came back for revenge and attacked us, not only using Locked Gauntlets, but Locked Gauntlets with the swords chained to them. We killed her when my cleric managed to pray for a Bestow Curse spell that gave her the 50% do nothing curse. The DM gave me the opportunity to occasionally cast a spell by giving an in-character prayer to Zivilyn (though he didn't know that was who he was praying to at the time) asking for a general effect which would be generated through some spell that was similar enough. I was hoping for Hold Person, but the percentile dice hated that assassin, so we chopped her to pieces shortly thereafter.

jamminjelly
2009-10-08, 12:54 AM
Back when I was playing Pathfinder I once played a multiclass Ranger Cleric with guns. The coolest part was, if I rolled a 6 on the d6 for my weapon damage, the bullet would explode and I could roll again with each 6. It was really fun though I was actually a bit underpowered.

Even with some NPC help we were getting the crap kicked out of us by a large invisible monster with high damage reduction. I couldn't damage it with a normal attack without exploding the bullet. I was out of spells so I fired to try and do something during my turn. and I rolled a hit. The DM told me to roll for damage.

Me: 6
DM: Ooh! roll again.
Me: 6!
DM:OOOH!
Me: 6!!
DM: OOOHOOHOO!
Me: 2. :smallfrown:

I managed to almost kill the thing, and inspire everyone else. It was great.

Darcand
2009-10-08, 02:57 AM
My first ever 3.5 game I had a level 2 barbarian. We entered a courtyard with a group of kobolds at the far end using heavy crossbows and we had no real ranged ability. I raged and charged across the courtyard only to take three bolts to the chest from the kobolds that had readied actions against just that sort of thing.

Due to the slow reload time the rest of the party was able to reach the kobolds and defeat them....before the battle was over I had rerolled a ranger with kobolds as my favored enemy.

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 03:28 AM
I'll post a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7036357&postcount=40) since it's my longest post of all time, (with for me is really something, my posts tend to be really long)

it's in my sig atm aswell