PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) "Writers Block", or "Brain Fail"

Deth Muncher
2009-10-07, 10:13 PM
So I'm DMing a game at the moment, which actually promises to actually last (currently level 3, soon to be level 4). Unfortunately...Well, I kinda don't have a plot. D: I had asked my players to give me opinions on what they want, which they finally did, but this was after the first session. As such, I've told them that there's been a bunch of people making trouble, noticeable by their spiky black armor. After this session, they gave me feedback, and what I've gotten is:

They want to fight dragons. Possibly undead ones.
They like horror/gore, but not too much, since it squicks one of the players out.

Basically, the way I'd originally had the plot (before any input) was that they would run across some goons, who were being led by Dreadnought (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123347&highlight=Dreadnought), who is in turn being led by a Drow Vampire.

Now, it appears that this needs to be slightly amended. To add in the horror, I think I'm going to need to add a Dracolich, and possibly some Mind Flayers/Aboleths.

The problems I have are twofold. On the macroscale, I don't want this to turn into the first Mario game: "Congratz! You killed Bowser the boss! But you haven't won yet..." Although, the advantage to this is they think they're just killing something, but find out they're stumbling on something SO MUCH BIGGER than they could have EVER IMAGINED.

The other issue is, well, how to get from A-Z. As in, I have a vague idea as to how boss battles would go, but designing encounters? Hell, game design in general? Kinda difficult. I mean, I can kinda think of how the story should go-ish, but I'm not SilverClawShift's DM for goodness' sake.

So, I mean, I don't want to ask you all to write my campaign for me, but do you have any tips on how to...well, stimulate thinking so as to how to craft my story?

PS - on a related note, do I want the Vampire to be under the employ of a dracolich, or do I want the dracolich to be under the employ of the vampire? If it's the former, I could use a real dragon, but if it's the latter, I'd have to use something like an Underdark Drake, which although it has no innate casting abilities, it could still do stuff like Control Undead and other nasty things.

Glimbur
2009-10-07, 10:21 PM
Those are some really dangerous monsters for level 3 or 4 heroes to fight.

Throw them for a loop by having a dragon terrorizing a village. But it's a really big dragon to have just popped up. Why such a small village? When they go to its lair to investigate it turns out it's a gnome illusionist. That will teach your players to tell you what they want.

Deth Muncher
2009-10-07, 10:29 PM
Those are some really dangerous monsters for level 3 or 4 heroes to fight.

Throw them for a loop by having a dragon terrorizing a village. But it's a really big dragon to have just popped up. Why such a small village? When they go to its lair to investigate it turns out it's a gnome illusionist. That will teach your players to tell you what they want.

Oh dear sweet Jeebus no. They're not going to fight these yet. Holy crap man, they'd get DECIMATED. Hell, a "Sleep" spell still affects them.

But I do want to figure out what the spiky people are doing. The reason the PCs are involved is because they were requested by the king to go investigate why these people have issued a death threat directly to the king (they've also killed a few barons), and (thanks to my quick thinking to avoid fridge logic, which I WAS called on) he picked them specifically because none of them have been in town long enough to be linked with that kingdom. Were they to be linked, it'd be an act of war, blah blah etc etc. So! I think somehow, the King needs to have pissed off a neighboring country, which could, conceivably, be led by the Drow Vampire. Kinda like in Eberron, actually, and that'd actually be really easy just to throw that in there, since I do want a genre blend.

Paulus
2009-10-07, 11:49 PM
Oh dear sweet Jeebus no. They're not going to fight these yet. Holy crap man, they'd get DECIMATED. Hell, a "Sleep" spell still affects them.

But I do want to figure out what the spiky people are doing. The reason the PCs are involved is because they were requested by the king to go investigate why these people have issued a death threat directly to the king (they've also killed a few barons), and (thanks to my quick thinking to avoid fridge logic, which I WAS called on) he picked them specifically because none of them have been in town long enough to be linked with that kingdom. Were they to be linked, it'd be an act of war, blah blah etc etc. So! I think somehow, the King needs to have pissed off a neighboring country, which could, conceivably, be led by the Drow Vampire. Kinda like in Eberron, actually, and that'd actually be really easy just to throw that in there, since I do want a genre blend.

Sounds good. You have your story. So. What are you asking for exactly?

Deth Muncher
2009-10-08, 02:54 AM
Sounds good. You have your story. So. What are you asking for exactly?

How to make this not fail? D: Like, the ideas always sound really good, but how to implement them never works out. Like, I don't really get the CR system, and I hear it's borked anyway. I kind of fail when it comes to actually crafting NPCs as well, although I've been getting better. And storywise, I have all these ideas, but they're kind of...isolated? Like, imagine a bunch of islands that are surrounded by raging waters. Sure, you can see them, but how the hell do you GET to them?

Tehnar
2009-10-08, 04:07 AM
One of the best ways to get inspiration is to listen to your players when they are discussing amongst themselves what the spiky black guys are and who they work for etc. Not only do you have to do less work but players will be happy that they figured out the motives of spiky black guys by themself.

What helps me get ideas is to read MM entries on various creatures; read fantasy and watch various films and read other peoples campaign journals.

Don't be afraid to improvise and don't plan out too far ahead. I found it best to keep a general goal of the campaign in mind while during play trying to present to the players their view as the matters unfold. Think about what is your BBEG goal, and what he/she/it has to do to get there.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 05:11 AM
play a "mini session" that goes something like this:
"You meet again in the tavern today, the days have been dragging on by and you have had nothing but boredom... months passed since your last adventure and nothing is on the horizon. You have met up to come up with some plan of action to alleviate the boredom, and preferably come out richer or more powerful as a result"...

And there you have it, have an in game conversation... they could decide to look for magic items, start a business, conquer something, hunt a specific beast... whatever...

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 05:55 AM
and always remember:
The players aren't characters in your story,
Rather the story of the players is their story,
and your just making the setting react (and occationally provoke).

Put some things in place, and let your players roam free!

jiriku
2009-10-08, 10:32 AM
It sounds like you're struggling with the basics. Here's what got me through that same phase of DMing:

Read a lot. Fantasy and science fiction are generally best, but if you have another genre you like, read that too. You'll absorb a lot of the principles of how to design interesting characters and tell good stories just by reading the work of people who are good at it. Read the parts of the DMG that discuss how to build interesting adventurers, engaging campaigns, and believable environments.

Watch movies, or anime if that's your thing. Movies will teach you how to build drama, action, and sheer coolness. DO NOT try to learn storytelling from movies, however: It's A Trap! Even major Hollywood productions usually have lame, contrived plots and shallow, undeveloped characters.

If you have access to canned adventuring material, like back issues of Dungeon magazine or packaged adventure modules, read through them to learn the mechanics of building interesting encounters and effective monsters. Again, DON'T attempt to learn effective storytelling or adventure construction here: canned ham never tastes as good as the real thing.

The other advice you've received here is very good. Listen to your players, and take hints from them (you're already doing that, which is great!). Don't try to plan out too much in advance. Instead of scripting the plot, leave room for the players to decide how they want to react to situations.

You probably want some specific hints too. Here's one that's worth keeping. Players aren't interested in something unless they can suspend disbelief and believe in it. You, as storyteller, must provide enough detail and texture so that players can immerse themselves in the make-believe world. Instead of saying

The tavernkeeper tells you about a local barbarian who can help you fight the vampire.

players want to hear

Rodrick looks over his shoulder fearfully, then leans close and whispers to you in a quavering voice, "Lads, if you truly wish to confront Count Hedrick, then you should seek out old Ghord the shepherd, on the edge of town. Folk think him a simple sheep-herder, but he was an adventurer in his youth. Count Hedrick turned both his children into vampire spawn, and he hates that black-hearted hellspawn with a fury undimmed by the years. If there's any here can be trusted against the Count, Ghord's your man."