PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with a Swashbuckling Bard?

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 12:38 AM
Got an idea for a bard with a focus in Dex-based fighting; less spellcasting more fencing. My original plan called for a three level dip into swashbuckler, another dip into arcane duelist (CHA to AC = Win!!!), ending with Swiftblade.

Is this doable, and how would I best go about it?

Any help is appreciated.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-08, 12:42 AM
What do you wish to get out of Swashbuckler?

Now, you'll need to cast as a bard of 7th level if you wish to get into Swiftblade at level 10, so you cannot loose too many caster levels. Since you need 2 levels of Arcane Duelist for Cha to AC, that means you can only afford the loss of one more caster level. You can only take one level of Swashbuckler at most then.

By the way, have you heard of the bard spell Siren's Grace? Gives +4 to Cha and Cha to AC as a deflection bonus. It's in the SpC I think. You should think about picking it up.

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 12:47 AM
Mostly Insightful Strike, but the full BAB, free Weapon Finesse, decent skill list, and Fort save boost is icing on the cake. The only downside is that my spellcasting, while not really the focus, will suffer, and with it my helpful buffing spells.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-08, 12:51 AM
I'd go Bard7/Swiftblade1 to get +6 BaB, then continue on either leveling in Swiftblade or taking your 2 Arcane Duelist levels. Swashbuckler just hinders your entry into the prestige classes.

Insightful Strike isn't going to be too useful as your focus is on Cha and Dex. To make up for the lost bonus feat, grab a the spell Heroics, or a wand of it, and give yourself whatever fighter bonus feat you want.

As a human, you should fulfill all necessary requirements by level 3, skill points and the two feats of Dodge, and Mobility.

From then on, grab Song of the Heart (feat, Eberron Campaign Setting) and the spell Inspirational Boost (SpC), plus the item Badge of Courage (MiC) for a +3 to Inspire Courage. Take the spell Improvisation (SpC) for a floating pool of luck points you can add to ability checks, skill checks, and attack rolls. Take the feat Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) and you can burn one use of Bardic Music to add Cha to one handed slashing weapons you wield in one hand.

If you want to TWF, I suggest you buy Gloves of the Balanced Hand (8,000gp, MiC) which gives you TWF if you do not have it, and ITWF if you have TWF already.

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 01:12 AM
After a second look, you are absolutely right, the swashbuckler levels can easily be replaced with a few well placed buffs, either from feats, spells, or even equipment.

Another question: what it the opinion on the feat Dragonfire Inspiration? It seems quite good, but that could be a trap, as we well know. It requires dragonblooded subtype, but there are ways to get that for cheap, especially if LA buyoff is allowed.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-08, 01:20 AM
Easiest way is to use a Silverbrow Human to qualify. It has no LA and only loses out on the extra skill point per level.

Another build you may want to consider is Bard7/Swiftblade1/Arcane Duelist2/Sublime Chord2/Swiftblade8. You get some nice spells and higher level spell slots with which to fuel your quasi-timestop ability.

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 01:33 AM
Yeah, Silverbrow would work, and if I take Jack of All Trades and switch out bardic knowledge for bardic knack, I will essentially have maxed-out cross class skills anyways, so the loss of the skill points don't hurt as much.

I had almost completely forgotten about Sublime Cord, as I had pretty much written off my spellcasting as nerfed-to-near-uselessness at this point. Good catch!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-08, 01:40 AM
Jack of All Trades does not interact with Bardic Knack that way according to a strict reading of the rules. Ask your DM nicely and he'll probably let it slide though.

I would personally not take it. You are tight enough on feats as is. Just spread a few skill points around to cover the trained only skills and you'll be good to go.

Draz74
2009-10-08, 02:03 AM
Jack of All Trades does not interact with Bardic Knack that way according to a strict reading of the rules. Ask your DM nicely and he'll probably let it slide though.

I would personally not take it. You are tight enough on feats as is. Just spread a few skill points around to cover the trained only skills and you'll be good to go.

QFT. Also, picking up the Improvisation spell (SpC) will make you a much better skillmonkey singlehandedly.

Also, Snowflake Wardance is worth mentioning again.

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 02:16 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll fill him out some more, then see if I have anymore questions.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-10-08, 07:24 AM

How so Just out of curiousity

BEcuase bardic knack says that if the skill needs ranks in it to use you must have ranks in it.

Jack of all trades lets you use the skill as if you had ranks in it. because you have .5.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-10-08, 11:36 AM
How so Just out of curiousity

BEcuase bardic knack says that if the skill needs ranks in it to use you must have ranks in it.

Jack of all trades lets you use the skill as if you had ranks in it. because you have .5.

More specifically, Bardic Knack says you must have one rank in it. Having 0.5 ranks in the skill does not count.

Person_Man
2009-10-08, 12:56 PM
In most cases, there are much better X to Y (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) options then Swashbuckler. But it depends.

What books are allowed, what's your stat generation method, what level are you starting at, and what level do you expect your adventure to go to?

BBJimmy
2009-10-08, 07:27 PM
We are allowed all WotC published 3.0/3.5 books, 32 point buy, starting level 9, and I believe that we will gain 3-5 levels in the story arc that this will cover.

As for the X to Y buffs, I think that I will try and get some Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows (dragon 314) for extra damage and maybe Slippers of Battledancing if I can afford them sometime later.

Also, if I can swing it, I would love to have our artificer craft me an Amulet of Sirine's Grace sometime soon...

woodenbandman
2009-10-08, 08:58 PM
A Half-Elf is actually one of the best bard races. Half-Elf Dilettante (races of the wild), Half-Elf bard substitution levels (Races of Destiny), bonuses to diplomacy... They're THE bard race.