PDA

View Full Version : builds for stats: 3,3,3,3,3,18

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 02:20 AM
So we had the 0 pt buy, and the resaults were (IIRC)
Vernerable Dwarf Druid, or what ever you want warlock.

What if you had the scores:
one 18 and the rest 3's. arrange as you will

Make an Uber SAD build.

i'm guessing either polymorphed wizard/sorcerer, or maybe something involving using wis for attacks, and damage and add widom to AC 3 times, use wis to dertermine HP (and maybe VoP, VoNV and other VoP), maybe cleric/monk/unarmed swordsage.

what SADness can people come up with?

Milskidasith
2009-10-08, 02:24 AM
You play a wizard at epic levels.

Nothing. Matters.

Rixx
2009-10-08, 02:33 AM
I'd go Sorcerer. He'd be a mentally disabled invalid, but he'd be a charming, powerful mentally disabled invalid.

Cyclocone
2009-10-08, 02:35 AM
Gray Elf Wizard with Faerie Mysteries Initiate.
or
Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard.

(And you put the 18 in INT, obviously)

charl
2009-10-08, 02:45 AM
Some kind of spellcaster or manifester. A wizard would be the obvious way to go, but a sorc or psion could work as well.

Vangor
2009-10-08, 02:46 AM
Druid. Three of those statistics do not matter at level four, and no matter how poor your statistics may be the full Fighter who is to all perceptions actually a Wolf is still as strong.

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 02:54 AM
Druid. Three of those statistics do not matter at level four, and no matter how poor your statistics may be the full Fighter who is to all perceptions actually a Wolf is still as strong.

I don't think it works as well as polymorphed sorceerer.
Druids still need con for HP and wis for spell casting.

Polymorph gives you the HP of what you turned into.
so you just need cha

sonofzeal
2009-10-08, 02:58 AM
Agreed on Polymorph. However, I'd advocate for a Cleric with the Transformation Domain. You can't generally cast spells while Polymorphed, so the extra BAB / Saves is going to help, plus the increased durability while not 'morphed. Czilla works just fine under those conditions.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 03:16 AM
Czilla works under ANY conditions :)

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 03:25 AM
Agreed on Polymorph. However, I'd advocate for a Cleric with the Transformation Domain. You can't generally cast spells while Polymorphed, so the extra BAB / Saves is going to help, plus the increased durability while not 'morphed. Czilla works just fine under those conditions.

while your charisma is going to be too low to full of full on mass DMM Persist, you could persist somethings.
You could also maybe go earth mephlet for some more CHA, Con, and a e sweet burrow speed.
But that would be touching LA races, so not fair, since you could aplly the lolth touched and /or mineral warrior template and now be back to full set of decent stats

btw
Is profiency needed for barding?
What about barding made using the armour for unusual creatures rules?

Grumman
2009-10-08, 03:29 AM
I'd play a Warforged polymorph wizard or druid, and put the 18 into Con. The first thing I'd do is buy a Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximise, and pay a wizard, sorcerer or cleric to cast Awaken Construct on me using the rod.

Suddenly your 3, 3, 20, 3, 1, 1 stats have turned into 3, 3, 20, 18, 18, 18.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 03:30 AM
make an evil wizard, call him raistilin.
dex 3: sickly and weak
str 3: as frail as they come
con 3: coughs blood all the time
wis 3: take on the very gods
cha 3: did you read the books?

:)

I'd play a Warforged polymorph wizard or druid, and put the 18 into Con. The first thing I'd do is buy a Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximise, and pay a wizard, sorcerer or cleric to cast Awaken Construct on me using the rod.

Suddenly your 3, 3, 20, 3, 1, 1 stats have turned into 3, 3, 20, 18, 18, 18.

what a cunning plan coming from something non sentient... btw... i love the maximized awaken! It is win!...

Iku Rex
2009-10-08, 03:32 AM
Polymorph gives you the HP of what you turned into.No it doesn't.

sonofzeal
2009-10-08, 03:39 AM
while your charisma is going to be too low to full of full on mass DMM Persist, you could persist somethings.
You could also maybe go earth mephlet for some more CHA, Con, and a e sweet burrow speed.
But that would be touching LA races, so not fair, since you could aplly the lolth touched and /or mineral warrior template and now be back to full set of decent stats

btw
Is profiency needed for barding?
What about barding made using the armour for unusual creatures rules?
You don't even really need DMM:Persist to make this a good trade. A Cleric has pretty much all the options a Sorc would for keeping Polymorph up the whole time, so even without that extra one it should still be possible. I'd also avoid LA, since that'll put you even further behind in other ways and certainly delay the level at which your crummy stats stop mattering.

No it doesn't.
Polymorph is based off Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), not off Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) like Wildshape. Only Alternate Form has the text about not changing hp. Since Polymorph never refers to that text at any point, by RAW it doesn't have that exception and the normal rule about Con/HP applies

Fishy
2009-10-08, 03:40 AM
The level 1 build is to put the 18 into Constitution and go Dragonfire Adept with Entangling Breath. Wear the heaviest armor you can carry with 3 str.

What's an attack roll?

Vangor
2009-10-08, 03:40 AM
Druids still need con for HP and wis for spell casting.

The 18 would obviously be in Wisdom. Besides, the Druid is vastly more likely to survive until level four than the Wizard or Sorcerer is likely to survive until level seven. Unless survival is not considered in which a Wizard, Cleric, or Druid is equally capable.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 03:42 AM
survival is simple, stay in the back, mooch of XP, and run away in danger. When people complain, tell them you are roleplaying your 3 cha.

Iku Rex
2009-10-08, 04:01 AM
Polymorph is based off Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), not off Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) like Wildshape. Only Alternate Form has the text about not changing hp.From alter self: "Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same."

Hit points remain the same.

Grumman
2009-10-08, 04:16 AM
what a cunning plan coming from something non sentient...
If you want a proper RP excuse, just say it was your owner/creator's idea. At WIS and CHA 1, you've probably got one. Then, once they boost your WIS and CHA to 18, you decide you don't want an owner any more and emancipate yourself.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 04:17 AM
If you want a proper RP excuse, just say it was your owner/creator's idea. At WIS and CHA 1, you've probably got one. Then, once they boost your WIS and CHA to 18, you decide you don't want an owner any more and emancipate yourself.

in which case it becomes your backstory and you have created a character with 4 18s...
You have to start play with the scores above...

Speaking of, I now totally want to retire somewhere and cast this, daily, for a few years...

Brigham
2009-10-08, 04:21 AM
Just a thought as far as the wizards go. How will you carry your supplies with a STR of 3?

I vaguely recall reading that a spellbook alone is 5 lbs.

sonofzeal
2009-10-08, 04:22 AM
From alter self: "Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same."

Ah, my mistake! I (evidently) thought that text was only under Alternate Form. Huh. I'm not going to get too worked up about it either way; the sheer number of polymorph/wildshape errata over the years was mind-numbing.

Dairun Cates
2009-10-08, 04:29 AM
It's obvious. Charisma. ALWAYS put it in Charisma. Put your few skill points in perform and diplomacy. Become a traveling freak show. Charm people with your innocence and pure heart. Earn enough money to buy a Belt of Wonder. Get low stats up to nines. Realize importance of knowledge and study hard. Buy occassional manuals of health for book deals. Write memoirs, get rich, go adventuring at the age of 50 as a bard.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 04:31 AM
Just a thought as far as the wizards go. How will you carry your supplies with a STR of 3?

I vaguely recall reading that a spellbook alone is 5 lbs.

a donkey? a wheelchair?

Grumman
2009-10-08, 04:41 AM
in which case it becomes your backstory and you have created a character with 4 18s...
You have to start play with the scores above...
In case you didn't notice, the only advantage gained from the backstory is a simple, one sentence idea. You're still using your own WBL to put the idea into practice. Prohibiting such a thing would be like not letting the players buy magic items before the campaign starts.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 04:44 AM
when their idea of "buy magic items" is getting a metamagic rod and a spell casting that gives their character 45 bonus attribute points (converting a 0 point buy char to a 63 point buy char... which allows buying down to 3), then yes that should not be allowed. especially not at the cost of "one sentence idea"... how much does one of those rods costs anyways? (and how much wealth exactly does a 1st lvl char have?)

How about you get +5 to all attributes from wishes by buying an item that casts summon effretti once per day... free unlimited wishes for your level 1 character... woot.

Grumman
2009-10-08, 04:52 AM
when their idea of "buy magic items" is getting a metamagic wand and a casting that gives their character 45 bonus attribute points, then yes that should not be allowed. especially not at the cost of "one sentence idea"... how much does one of those rods costs anyways? (and how much wealth exactly does a 1st lvl char have?)
Who said the campaign has to start at level 1?

How about you get +5 to all attributes from wishes by buying an item that casts summon effretti once per day... free unlimited wishes for your level 1 character... woot.
There is no such thing as an item that casts Summon Efreeti once per day. There is such a thing as a Greater Metamagic Rod of Maximise, and there are rules for purchasing spellcasting from NPCs.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 04:54 AM
which your non sentient being cannot, by definition, buy.

plus, a one sentence idea to convert a 0 point buy char to a 63 point buy char... assuming buying down all the way to 3 (not normally allowed)... i mean... really?

sure you CAN use it.. but you have to give similar boosts to other players... that is, everyone is now a 63 point buy... maybe via using the same exact method (a nice party of awakened beings)

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 04:58 AM
From alter self: "Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same."

That's what i orignally throught.
I said that to the polymorphing sorc, in that party and the DM said otherise.
I can't remeber if this is on of his weird OP house rules or one of the many times he's got the rules wrong...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-10-08, 06:33 AM
Necropolitan Dread Necromancer, Cha 18. Get Improved Unarmed Strike, and at level 6 you can get Ascetic Mage and wear a Monk's Belt to add your Cha bonus to AC. Get a skeletal horse to carry you and your possessions around. Say your necropolitan status was granted by another Dread Necro 8+ who had the Corpsecrafter, Bolster Resistance, Nimble Bones, and Hardened Flesh feats, within the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present. That would get you a constant +4 Str and Dex, +4 HP/level, +4 turn resistance, +4 initiative, and +10 ft. movement. That character would likely be able to solo most adventures given a full entourage of hand-picked minions, or he'd be at least viable in a party with a few reasonably strong undead mooks.

Jack_Simth
2009-10-08, 06:43 AM
Gray Elf Wizard with Faerie Mysteries Initiate.
or
Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard.

(And you put the 18 in INT, obviously)

Correction: Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard with Faerie Mysteries Initiate. Lots of HP, there. Maybe also pick up a Monk's Belt and the Kung-Fu Genius feat, to get your AC up to ... what, 12?

Teron
2009-10-08, 07:06 AM
Correction: Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard with Faerie Mysteries Initiate. Lots of HP, there. Maybe also pick up a Monk's Belt and the Kung-Fu Genius feat, to get your AC up to ... what, 12?
While it's irrelevant to this exercise, I can't help but wonder how someone with 3 Cha, 1 Con and so on would manage to "engage in an exuberant sensual act" to get the Int-to-HP effect of FMI... to say nothing of the possibility that the effect might wear off when you die, and need to be renewed as a necropolitan. :smalleek:

Indon
2009-10-08, 08:29 AM
Monk, put the 18 into Con.

Since running away from an encounter can be construed as overcoming it, he spends his entire adventuring career fleeing from his opponents with his enhanced speed.

Cyclocone
2009-10-08, 09:08 AM

Yeah, you can do both of them simultaneously, just remember to use Protection.

...Protection From Undead, of course! That's what i meant to say!

daggaz
Wouldnt be a bad time to burn caster levels on something like the lich template either...

Another_Poet
Are you kidding me? There is only one appropriate use for these stats....

Human Commoner!! With Strength 18!

dspeyer
2009-10-08, 09:20 AM
I suggest a ghost sorcerer. The whole incorporeality thing makes the low str and dex less painful. The con penalty goes away (and you get d12 hd). AC and special attacks are cha based...

taltamir
2009-10-08, 03:34 PM
Monk, put the 18 into Con.

Since running away from an encounter can be construed as overcoming it, he spends his entire adventuring career fleeing from his opponents with his enhanced speed.

wow, i actually want to play this :)

oxinabox
2009-10-09, 10:11 AM

Kungfu genius can only be taken at the same level as you take your first lvl of monk.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-09, 10:23 AM
This would be the ultimate manifestation of the Tensors (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/FloatingDisk.htm)Lazy Wizard. His legs and arms are but vestigial remnants, but his fingers are nimble and his nails manicured. Grotesquely, morbidly, obese, his familiar is a little helper monkey to carry his spellbook. In fact, this would make an interesting character, disgusting, but interesting.

AslanCross
2009-10-09, 06:06 PM
Some kind of spellcaster or manifester. A wizard would be the obvious way to go, but a sorc or psion could work as well.

I'd go with this too. In the movie Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, there was a bedridden character who could project a spectral form of himself that could just RUIN things with energy beams. His Astral Projection required an injected stimulant and leaves him in a seizure afterwards. I'd say such a character would be something like this.

See 2:32 to the end. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYZOJK6oZCg)