PDA

View Full Version : Monster Classes?

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 05:04 AM
Can you multiclass out of the Monster Classes in Savage Species, and be some kind of "Lesser Creature" for example? Or do you need to see them through to the end?

Thanks in advance.

Serpentine
2009-10-08, 05:06 AM
I think they're meant to be treated just the same as any class, so I presume so.

taltamir
2009-10-08, 05:08 AM
that book explicitly states that no you cannot.
IIRC the RAW says that you can NOT take ANY other class but your monster progression until you finish it...

that is, a 5 level progression monster MUST take levels 1 through 5 of that level before being allowed to take anything else.

However your DM might bend the rules on this regard if you clear it with him.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 05:10 AM
IIRC the RAW says that you can NOT take ANY other class but your monster progression until you finish it...

that is, a 5 level progression monster MUST take levels 1 through 5 of that level before being allowed to take anything else.

However your DM might bend the rules on this regard if you clear it with him.

I like Serpentine's answer better :smallfrown: :smallamused:

Once I regain access to SS I'll check, but you're probably right. Thanks all.

Edit: 6 minutes since I started the thread. I think that's a personal best :smallcool:

taltamir
2009-10-08, 05:13 AM
i could be remembering it wrong :)

but really, rule of cool... with the right idea i am sure you can clear it with your DM... (my minotaur wizard never learned combat from other minotaurs, he was raised by humans)... etc

Serpentine... your avatar is such a cutie, is she from a specific webcomic?

Zeta Kai
2009-10-08, 05:15 AM
It's at the bottom of page 27, on the left. No multiclass dessert until you finish your monster class meal.

A monster character using these rules may not multiclass until it completes the full progression in its monster class. This rule keeps characters from gaining the benefits of a monster's type and then quickly switching to a standard class.

So, even back in the day, somebody at WotC understood the cheese of class-dipping. I wish that they had shared that knowledge with the rest of the designers.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 05:16 AM
i could be remembering it wrong :)

but really, rule of cool... with the right idea i am sure you can clear it with your DM... (my minotaur wizard never learned combat from other minotaurs, he was raised by humans)... etc

I'm looking at a sort of "Lesser" Fire Elemental by only taking a few levels and then moving into a class. I still get to be an Elemental, but I don't get the best things about being one, which is frankly fine with me. I try the Rule of Cool card and see what happens.

So, even back in the day, somebody at WotC understood the cheese of class-dipping. I wish that they had shared that knowledge with the rest of the designers.

Damn them and their foresight :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

bosssmiley
2009-10-08, 05:36 AM
Can you multiclass out of the Monster Classes in Savage Species, and be some kind of "Lesser Creature" for example? Or do you need to see them through to the end?

You're supposed to see the class through to the end (I think there's a throwaway comment buried in the Monster Classes textwall to this effect), but your GM's view may vary.

Personally I'd just scrap the whole monster classes and LA mess entirely and institute a much simpler "you must be n level to be one of these" rule. It worked for BECMI D&D.

edit: page ref ninja'ed by Zeka Kai.

Serpentine
2009-10-08, 05:44 AM
Serpentine... your avatar is such a cutie, is she from a specific webcomic?...webcomic? :smallconfused: No (http://serpentine16.deviantart.com/art/Hell-Hath-No-Fury-94369436), my (http://serpentine16.deviantart.com/art/Hell-Hath-No-Fury-Lines-110293293)own (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/serpred.jpg) creation (http://serpentine16.deviantart.com/art/Melancholy-Serpentine-92931312). But thanks :smallsmile:

Personally, I'd probably allow it, as DM. But this is a RAW question, and I don't have the book handy...

edit: If you're wanting to be a fire elemental through classes, have a squiz at my thread about making a Magma Druid in the Homebrewing section - becomes a Magma Elemental at 20th level, and I'm hoping to translate it to other elements :smallwink:

Rixx
2009-10-08, 12:52 PM
The GM can allow it - one of our parties has a Satyr druid with only two Satyr levels, the explanation being that he's pretty bad at being a Satyr.

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-08, 12:59 PM
The GM can allow it - one of our parties has a Satyr druid with only two Satyr levels, the explanation being that he's pretty bad at being a Satyr.

I like it. This is now the keystone of my argument. Thanks Rixx.

Kylarra
2009-10-08, 01:12 PM
I like it. This is now the keystone of my argument. Thanks Rixx.Eh, if the keystone of your argument is that the GM can allow it, it's pretty weak. Try "it's the same as just being a small fire elemental" maybe? That's only 2HD of the fire elemental class and matches about the same stats as the small fire elemental (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#fireElemental).

Darrin
2009-10-08, 04:26 PM

There are some racial template classes on the WotC website (the Savage Progression articles) that do allow you to dip into or leave a template class unfinished. But the available monsters are limited... Ghost, Vampire, Aasimar, Tiefling, that sort of thing.