PDA

View Full Version : Brütal Legend

Revlid
2009-10-08, 07:45 AM
So, I just finished the demo. And it was awesome - I'm sticking this one on my Christmas list, alongside (the shamefully late in buying) Prototype (and probably a couple of others that haven't caught my attention yet).

Anyone's thoughts?

Dear evil/messed up demon powers of darkness. Unimaginable evil, please transport me off this awesome corpse-pile. I am but a visitor in your strange world which some would call hellish but I have to admit is kinda badass. O lord of gross leather things...!

valadil
2009-10-08, 09:23 AM
I tried the demo and loved everything except the game itself. The style was fun and the presentation was great, but gameplay felt like a bad God of War clone.

Please convince me I'm wrong. I really want to like this game.

Comet
2009-10-08, 09:30 AM
You're wrong. Convinced?

I really think this game is going to be a lot of fun. Now if only I could get my hands on a console that I could play it on :smallsigh:

Hermit
2009-10-08, 09:48 AM
I tried the demo and loved everything except the game itself. The style was fun and the presentation was great, but gameplay felt like a bad God of War clone.

The actual demo gameplay was basic because it demoed the first half hour or so of the game. Once you get beyond that, there's more than a whiff of Sacrifice about commanding an army of troops (Headbangers, goths, the usual RTS fare).

In short, combat and gameplay in the demo seemed basic because it only had the chance to show off one half of the game. Some sort of skirmish against the AI using the multiplayer mode would have been a nice addition to see how the actual strategy side of things is handled.

valadil
2009-10-08, 09:52 AM
The actual demo gameplay was basic because it demoed the first half hour or so of the game. Once you get beyond that, there's more than a whiff of Sacrifice about commanding an army of troops (Headbangers, goths, the usual RTS fare).

In short, combat and gameplay in the demo seemed basic because it only had the chance to show off one half of the game. Some sort of skirmish against the AI using the multiplayer mode would have been a nice addition to see how the actual strategy side of things is handled.

Fair enough. I'll chalk it up to a bad demo and reserve judgment till I can see the rest of the game. Not buying it till I've tried the good stuff though.

Miss Nobody
2009-10-08, 12:02 PM

This game is making me consider getting a console. I want an army of headbangers or goths. NOW!

Eldan
2009-10-08, 12:23 PM
I'm just turned off by the Umlaut in the name. I mean, I know that they aren't pronounced in band names and such (otherwise Mötörhead would be the most stupid name ever), but it just irks me. It sounds stupid, and everyone I know insists on pronouncing it.

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 01:19 PM
but gameplay felt like a bad God of War clone.

What sort of gameplay did god of war have?

Dairun Cates
2009-10-08, 01:56 PM
I'm just turned off by the Umlaut in the name. I mean, I know that they aren't pronounced in band names and such (otherwise Mötörhead would be the most stupid name ever), but it just irks me. It sounds stupid, and everyone I know insists on pronouncing it.

It's almost like the game is a parody and is making fun of this aspect of metal in its title.

Eldan
2009-10-08, 02:24 PM
Hey, I know it's a parody. But everyone around me seems to refuse to realize it. Either that, or they taunt me with pronouncing it. I don't think that's true, though, or they all got a +10 bonus to bluff checks suddenly.

Faulty
2009-10-08, 02:28 PM
Metalheads are routinely some of the most annoying music fans ever and I'm afraid a game catering to them would be just as bad; crippling itself under the weight of cliche, fan service and generic Metal and Rock music.

Revlid
2009-10-08, 02:59 PM
Metalheads are routinely some of the most annoying music fans ever and I'm afraid a game catering to them would be just as bad; crippling itself under the weight of cliche, fan service and generic Metal and Rock music.

TIM SCHAFER, JACK BLACK AND TIM CURRY.

edit: On a less NO U train of thought, I personally find R&B and Rap afficionados more irritating.
And Classics-lovers can be incredibly pretentious.
And don't get me started on the polar-opposites-on-the-mainstream-spectrum-but-just-as-annoying Indy and Pop devotees.
What else is there... Techno tends to be And That's Terrible, and the only punishment fitting for those who sing its praises is to listen to it all the time, which they do anyway.
Country is very annoying after a certain point. Its worshippers probably are too.
So it's not just Metalheads who should annoy you! It's anyone who takes music too seriously.

Besides, this game has a healthy dollop of self-awareness, tempered with sprinkles of very real love. GET IT

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-08, 03:00 PM

Thats either sarcasm or the biggest "Flame Me" sign I've ever seen someone weld onto their back

valadil
2009-10-08, 03:02 PM

Obscene numbers of bad guys getting chopped up by some badass. It's the kind of game that pretends to have combos and maneuvers, but only uses two buttons for attacks so spamming the two of them will almost always just happen to ignite some combo.

I take offense at that. Some of us are annoying. Those aren't the majority. Most metal fans are the quiet ones.

Ziren
2009-10-08, 04:19 PM
Hey, I know it's a parody. But everyone around me seems to refuse to realize it. Either that, or they taunt me with pronouncing it. I don't think that's true, though, or they all got a +10 bonus to bluff checks suddenly.

I always pronounce Metal Umlauts (Yes, even for Mötley Crüe).

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-08, 04:26 PM
This game comes out the day before my birthday. There's a good chance I may be getting it.

My Life is Awesome.

Driderman
2009-10-08, 04:32 PM
I always pronounce Metal Umlauts (Yes, even for Mötley Crüe).

Well that's because you're from one of the few countries in the world that actually use the umlaut I suspect

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-08, 04:36 PM
crippling itself under the weight of cliche, fan service and generic Metal and Rock music.

I don't understand this part of what you said.

Okay so you don't like people who like metal. But you think this game is going to fail because it is catering to its player base? Because it is being what it is? The people who play this game ARE LOOKING for metal cliches and heavy metal to be in the game. That is the entire point.

edit: Also I'm curious as to what you mean by generic metal.

The list seems pretty diverse. They have everything from Anthrax to Candlemass to Dethklok to Iced Earth. I think Nightwish is in there too.

another edit: 5 more days WOO

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-08, 04:41 PM

HELL YES TIM CURRY IS IN THIS CRAP IT'S GONNA ROCK SO HARD

I love Tim Curry. He should have more video game appearances.

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 06:08 PM
TIM SCHAFER, JACK BLACK AND TIM CURRY (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CueCullen).

Tvtropes'd that for you.

Obscene numbers of bad guys getting chopped up by some badass. It's the kind of game that pretends to have combos and maneuvers, but only uses two buttons for attacks so spamming the two of them will almost always just happen to ignite some combo.
Sometimes thats exactly the game i want to play. Although N3 is the king of this sort of combat in terms of sheer numbers of mooks. Killing 1000 guys in one 20 minute mission? Indeed.

Why you hatin' ?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-08, 06:37 PM
This game is making me consider getting a console.

Seconded! Though the MAIN reason I'm getting a console is Dragon Age: Origins. :smallredface:

Miss Nobody
2009-10-09, 12:08 PM
The soundtrack :

3 Inches of Blood - Deadly Sinners
3 Inches of Blood - Destroy The Orcs
Accept - Fast As A Shark
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Anthrax - Metal Thrashing Mad
Anvil - March of the Crabs
Anvil - Tag Team
Apostasy - Sulphur Injection
Bishop of Hexen - A Serpentine Grave
Bishop of Hexen - The Somber Grounds of Truth
Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe
Black Sabbath - Never Say Die
Brocas Helm - Cry of the Banshee
Brocas Helm - Drink the Blood of the Priest
Budgie - Breadfan
Budgie - Zoom Club
Candlemass - Witches
Carcass - No Love Lost
Cloven Hoof Nightstalker
Children of Bodom - Angels Don't Kill
Coroner - Skeleton on your Shoulder
Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog
Crimson Glory - Queen of the Masquerade
Dark Fortress - Insomnia
Dark Tranquility - Cathode Ray Sunshine
Deathstars - Blitzkrieg
Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
Dethklok - Mermaider
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
Dimmu Borgir - Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
Dokken - Mr. Scary
Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames
Emperor - Thus Spake The Nightspirit
Enslaved - Frost
Enslaved - Loke
Firehouse - Overnight Sensation
Girlschool - Bomber
Iced Earth - When the Night Falls
Iced Earth - Pure Evil
In Flames - Goliaths Disarm Their Davids
Judas Priest - Battle Hymn
Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
Judas Priest - One Shot At Glory
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Kabbage Boy - Girlfriend
KMFDM - Free Your Hate
KMFDM - Rip The System
King Diamond - Cremation
King Diamond - Welcome Home
Kiss - God of Thunder
Lita Ford - Betrayal
Marilyn Manson - Beautiful People
Manowar - Die For Metal
Manowar - The Dawn Of Battle
Mastodon - Crack the Skye
Mastodon - Oblivion Instrumental
Megadeath - High Speed Dirt
Megadeath - Tornado of Souls
Metal Church - Metal Church
Michael Schenker - Group Assault Attack
Ministry - Stigmata
Ministry - Thieves
Mirrorthrone - So Frail
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Motley Crue - Live Wire
Motorhead - Back at the Funny Farm
Motorhead - In the Black
Motorhead - Marching Off to War
Motorhead - We Are the Road Crew
Nitro - Machine Gun Eddie
Omen - The Axeman
Ostrogoth - Queen of Desire
Overkill - World of Hurt
Ozzy Osbourne - Believer
Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Prong - Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
Quiet Riot - The Wild and the Young
Racer X - Technical Difficulties
Racer X - Y.R.O.
Ratt - Lay It Down
Riot - Road Racin
Riot - Narita
Riot - Swords and Tequila
Rob Zombie - Superbeast
Rotting Christ - Ad Notics
Running Wild - Riding the Storm
Sanctuary - Battle Angels
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Scorpions - Blackout
Scorpions - Holiday
Skeletonwitch - Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
Skid Row - Youth Gone Wild
Slayer - Metal Storm/Face The Slayer
Slough Feg - Warriors Dawn
Static-X - Love Dump
Tenacious D - Master Exploder
Tenacious D - The Metal
Testament - For The Glory Of
Testament - More Than Meets The Eye
Tvangeste - Birth of the Hero
UFO - Rock Bottom
Whitesnake - Still of the Night
Wrath of Killenstein - Ignisis Dance

As various sites are pointing out, the EA Denmark page that featured this information has since been pulled down. The letigimacy of the sound track is still in question, but we think it's very possibly correct. Expect an official statement from EA soon.

They've got Black Sabbath and Candlemass and Dethklock and Iced Earth and Judas Priest and King Diamond and Ozzy aaannnd...
And I can't get a console any earlier than the next year because I want a ton of other stuff too. Life is so unfair. If only I could convince my brother that consoles are good...

Quincunx
2009-10-09, 12:25 PM
Can't you rent consoles, either through your friendly game rental store/system or by putting out an ad "Will split cost of Brütal Legend with console owner in return for X hours of gaming rights"?

Eldan: oh, how I sympathize. Å just looks like an A with a halo to me, as it did to he who named the Ångels guild, but a subset of my fellow gamers pronounces that vowel every. single. time. (stabs eardrums with spork)

Ziren
2009-10-09, 12:34 PM
Well that's because you're from one of the few countries in the world that actually use the umlaut I suspect

Of course, but so's Eldan. And Mötley Crüe isn't actually pronounceable ("üe" just doesn't work in German). But I try nevertheless.

NeoVid
2009-10-09, 12:36 PM

The funny part is that the metalheads I know are already complaining about how this game is going to bring in a ton of wannabe ignoramuses who think they're metalheads.

Stormthorn
2009-10-09, 12:43 PM
If i got this game, it would be for the attitude more than the soundtrack.

The only metal-y bands i listen to are Sabaton, Manowar, and Nightwish.
Only one of those wa son the list.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-09, 12:56 PM

How in the Nine Hells did you finish God of War II? Spamming the attack buttons will get you... nowhere, exactly. You have to know which combo to use and when to use it to beat most of the bosses.

valadil
2009-10-09, 01:28 PM
How in the Nine Hells did you finish God of War II? Spamming the attack buttons will get you... nowhere, exactly. You have to know which combo to use and when to use it to beat most of the bosses.

I didn't. Waiting for the HD version. Glad to know it gets better.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-09, 03:56 PM
The funny part is that the metalheads I know are already complaining about how this game is going to bring in a ton of wannabe ignoramuses who think they're metalheads.

There's also those of use who've accepted that fact and will simply headbutt any of the wannabes we encounter.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-09, 03:58 PM
Just curious, but how would you define a wannabe metalhead?

Faulty
2009-10-09, 04:11 PM
Thats either sarcasm or the biggest "Flame Me" sign I've ever seen someone weld onto their back

It's the sign.

I'm neutral on Tim Curry despite accidentally voting for him once. There's nothing inherently exciting or entertaining about Jack Black to me. I'm more likely to hate him than like him, exceptions being Tropic Thunder and that one episode of Clone High. ANYWAY.

edit: On a less NO U train of thought, I personally find R&B and Rap afficionados more irritating.
And Classics-lovers can be incredibly pretentious.
And don't get me started on the polar-opposites-on-the-mainstream-spectrum-but-just-as-annoying Indy and Pop devotees.
What else is there... Techno tends to be And That's Terrible, and the only punishment fitting for those who sing its praises is to listen to it all the time, which they do anyway.
Country is very annoying after a certain point. Its worshippers probably are too.
So it's not just Metalheads who should annoy you! It's anyone who takes music too seriously.

Rap/Hip-Hop afficiandos I don't have as much of a problem with. Rap has an actual cultural background to it. Classics lovers can be obnoxious, and hipsters are annoying as Hell. That said, I find myself more likely to get along with Broken Social Scene fans than Slayer fans. Never had any trouble with Techno fans, nor experience with Country fans.

Metalheads aren't the only ones who annoy me. I said Metalheads are routinely some of the most annoying music fans. I love poking fun at hipsters, too, but I stand by finding Metalheads to often be obnoxious. Often. Saying "I don't like the taste of zuccini" does not mean that I don't also dislike the taste of asparagus.

Besides, this game has a healthy dollop of self-awareness, tempered with sprinkles of very real love. GET IT

Dethklok has that and it sucks, so it's not guarentee.

Okay so you don't like people who like metal.

I like Metal. I used to listen to almost nothing but it as my old last.fm charts (http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2031/oldtopartistslx1.png) attest. I have no issue with Metal fans, just some.

But you think this game is going to fail because it is catering to its player base? Because it is being what it is? The people who play this game ARE LOOKING for metal cliches and heavy metal to be in the game. That is the entire point.

If something caters to something that is often fail, then it might possibly be fail. I'm afraid it'll be like Metalocalypse, so playing into self-aware cliches that it becomes incredibly lame.

edit: Also I'm curious as to what you mean by generic metal.

The list seems pretty diverse. They have everything from Anthrax to Candlemass to Dethklok to Iced Earth. I think Nightwish is in there too.

I mean like standard Heavy and Thrash stuff. The stuff from the 80s and early 90s, and things recreated in that form.

Of course!

Eldan
2009-10-09, 04:20 PM
Of course, but so's Eldan. And Mötley Crüe isn't actually pronounceable ("üe" just doesn't work in German). But I try nevertheless.

It works in swiss german. Actually not an uncommon sound. And it's one of the main reasons why I want to strangle swiss metalheads. :smallwink:

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-09, 04:56 PM

Someone who only likes metal because it was in a video game. Its kinda like "I was a dragonforce fan long before GH3" and stuff like that.

Its different though if you honestly love the sound and the attitude that goes with it and all the game does is get you interested. The story of my first encounter with metal is a little more interesting.

Faulty
2009-10-09, 05:37 PM
I got into Metal via WoW PvP videos. No one can beat that lameness.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-09, 05:41 PM
If something caters to something that is often fail, then it might possibly be fail. I'm afraid it'll be like Metalocalypse, so playing into self-aware cliches that it becomes incredibly lame.

You seem to be stating your opinion as fact. I suppose you can then say "well of course its just my opinion", but your posts really make it sound like what you are saying is truth and nothing more.

Also, yeah.... if you don't want a game full of metal cliches, then this game definitely isn't for you. As I said earlier, that is what this whole game is about.

If you've listened to Schafer speak, its pretty obvious. The usual spiel he gives is something along the lines of "You always see these rockers on stage with fake axes and spiked wrist-bands talking about killing orcs or whatever... lets stop beating around the bush and JUST DO IT" ... "Anything that could possibly be on a heavy metal cover is what we are aiming for...." etc (not exact quotes, obviously). In fact in the opening sequence you see Ormagoden and his body is fully chrome with exhaust pipes sticking out and his hands permanently wielding the devil horns (http://files.myopera.com/rpsgc/albums/16337/DEVIL%20HORNS.png). The game is not keeping secrets here about what it really is.

And I think Metalacolypse is a pretty rad show, from what I've seen of it.

Faulty
2009-10-09, 08:42 PM
I sometimes state my opinions strongly. I don't think it's impossible, it's just one of those It Will Probably Suck things for me.

Ziren
2009-10-10, 08:20 AM
Latest preview and multiplayer demonstration:
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/today-on-the-spot/?event=now_playing_brutal_legend20091009&tag=topslotthumb1

If you want to avoid single player spoilers, the multiplayer part starts at about 33 minutes.

Warpfire
2009-10-11, 08:25 PM
So...if you're not a metalhead, you aren't allowed to like this game? :/

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-11, 10:25 PM
I am really interested in this game. I'm not really a metalhead (no mullet for one thing), but I like metal music, so that's a good start.

Plus, this is a game that is pure, blatant, unapologetic cheesiness! Which I love with every fiber of my being. ASSKICKERS UNITE!!! :smallcool:

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-12, 01:26 AM
So...if you're not a metalhead, you aren't allowed to like this game? :/

No. If you're not a metalhead, you are not allowed to declare yourself a metalhead just because you like this game. At least, this is what I gather.

AgentPaper
2009-10-12, 02:27 AM
Damn this game looks awesome. I don't have an X-Box, but my brother does, so I'm going to get it for him for christmas, and hopefully once he's done playing it I'll be able to as well. :smalltongue:

I'm also not much of one for metal, or actually more music in general, but I can definitely enjoy good metal, and the themes they've got going here are frankly awesome no matter what you're into, as far as I'm concerned. I especially love the norse themes it has.

Hann
2009-10-12, 10:44 AM

Yeah, ü itself makes the "ue" sound. "üee" is just ridiculous. BTW, the Scandinavian languages use umlauts too.

This game looks amazing! I wasn't sure at first, but I found out Tim Schafer made it, so I tried the demo. 5 times.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-12, 11:08 AM
I am considering getting this game, but one question first. Is it platform-y? Like Psychonauts?

I'm not a particularly large fan of hard rock (or a fan, for that matter), but I think I'd be willing to give this game a try if the gameplay was platform-y. I like platform games.

AgentPaper
2009-10-12, 11:52 AM
I am considering getting this game, but one question first. Is it platform-y? Like Psychonauts?

I'm not a particularly large fan of hard rock (or a fan, for that matter), but I think I'd be willing to give this game a try if the gameplay was platform-y. I like platform games.

I don't think there's a single platform in the game to jump onto. It's more of an action-RTS. (hm, that a new genre?)

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-12, 11:54 AM
I don't think there's a single platform in the game to jump onto. It's more of an action-RTS. (hm, that a new genre?)

See Sacrifice for a pretty dated action-RTS.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-12, 12:15 PM

Huh. Well, that might be good.

I liked Pikmin, so this still sounds kinda good. I guess I could rent it and see.

thorgrim29
2009-10-12, 12:38 PM
I tried the demo. 5 times.

Ditto, I loved the demo, now once I get confirmation from you all that the game delivers, I'll be getting it.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-12, 02:00 PM
I got the call an hour ago reminding me to pick up my copy tomorrow. Ugh! I cant wait another 19 hours! I wonder if the guy at gamestop would give it to me early.

Ziren
2009-10-12, 03:24 PM
Bah, in Germany we still have to wait until Friday so consider yourself lucky. I'll have to avoid this thread and anything Brütal Legend-related for almost a week to not get my experience spoiled (if the delivery even gets here in time, that is).

NeoVid
2009-10-12, 03:37 PM

The short answer I got from someone I asked that question was: If they claim to be a metal fan, but all the bands they like have a lot in common with the one Eddie is working for at the start of the game.

From what I've seen, the single player works something like God of War with strategy elements, and the multiplayer works a lot like Guilty Gear: Overture.

Warpfire
2009-10-12, 03:55 PM
No. If you're not a metalhead, you are not allowed to declare yourself a metalhead just because you like this game. At least, this is what I gather.

Ah. Well that seems fair.

Sooo excited to play this game. Thought it's more that I liked Psychonauts a lot (even though I never got past that damned Meat Circus) than the metal part. Also Jack Black is super awesome.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-12, 04:16 PM
Sooo excited to play this game. Thought it's more that I liked Psychonauts a lot (even though I never got past that damned Meat Circus) than the metal part. Also Jack Black is super awesome.

Personally, I didn't see what the big freakin' deal is with the meat circus level. Everybody I've ever heard says it's the hardest freaking thing in the history of videogames or at the least VERY hard, but I found it as easy as the rest of the game. :smallconfused: No offense.

And yes, Jack Black is awesome. My respect for him, which didn't start out too high, sky-rocketed after Kung Fu Panda. Everything after that I liked. And School Of Rock.

Warpfire
2009-10-12, 07:04 PM
Well I only actually remember playing it for a little bit but I think my rental ran out or something. And I was frustrated anyway so...

Otogi
2009-10-12, 10:04 PM
Anybody else think we should rename this thread "Give it up for Sexy Nuns!"?

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-12, 10:55 PM
Those aren't nuns! They're really just big ugly demons.

Though admittedly, kinda sexy, in a weird sort of way.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-12, 11:32 PM
On my way home tomorrow I'm going to pick this up for rental. And if it isn't there.... I can only hope I will not break down and buy it.

.... Really can't afford this right now. :smallfrown:

JabberwockySupafly
2009-10-13, 06:47 AM
I, personally, tend to despise Jack Black (except Kung Fu Panda. Major props for that flick.), but love him in this game. I have been playing it pretty much nonstop since I picked it up this morning from work. Bloody great game. I haven't stopped giggling like a wee school gel since I started, the game is pure Shafer gold.

Also, Faulty:

From looking at your Last.fm charts, I just have to say you have some great artists from many a varied genre (Aesop Rock! Woo! I'm not the only person who listens to Underground Hip-Hop ITP!).. but seriously... Gorgoroth? At least tell me it's their earlier stuff before Gaahl came and ruined it all. I mean, Scissor Sisters I can understand, they're catchy and even I can tolerate a few of their songs, but Gorgoroth... *shudders*

Anyways, I have said enough... I have a world of metal to save!

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-13, 09:33 PM
Only been playing for a few hours, and I may have found the most awesome thing ever.

FACE MELTING SOLOS!

Warpfire
2009-10-13, 10:42 PM
Badass game. More on that later.

Personally I think the thread title should be "Brutal Legend: I Think I Heard Somewhere Killing Nuns is Bad Luck"

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-14, 04:56 AM
I want to play it, but I don't think I'll be able to until, possibly, late tonight. Work gets in the way >.>

On a slightly different but still related note, I made an image. This thread may have it, because this thread is:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/ArtemistheHunter/ROCKTOBERAPPROVED3.png

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-14, 09:01 PM
I have now just got the game. And it is pure AWESOME. :biggrin:

You really don't have to like heavy metal rock to enjoy all the humour about it. And all the great stuff Eddie says. I've just played a little bit past the opening cutscene, and I'm in stiches!

It seems to have the same thing as Psychonauts where, if you stick around for longer then you would've usually and if you try things that are out of your way, you'll get even MORE jokes.

Also
PSYCHONAUTS REFERENCE IN THE GAME! The guy who shares the same voice as Raz in the opening cutscene does his exact same victory dance! And, come to think of it, he looks and awful lot like Raz. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-15, 08:28 AM
You know, there is something inherently kickass about barreling down a broken highway with colossal swords sticking out of the ground all around you while the radio blares Kickstart My Heart.

This game wins everything forever.

Also, having been playing more and more of it, I have to say the storyline has grabbed me as well. I really didn't want to stop playing this morning, but I had to because I need sleep now.

Warpfire
2009-10-16, 07:21 PM
Anybody else have trouble with the first Drowning Doom level? I just beat it, but it took me a few tries for some reason. Those goddamn brides. If I leave them alone, all my troops get massacred because of the debuffs. If I attack them, then all my troops get hit with lightning. My solution: Rock Kick them far away and then murder them.

It was kind of disappointing when the Fire Barons rode to the rescue and then were immediately slaughtered.

Kris Strife
2009-10-17, 08:47 AM
Beat it, now I'm going through and hunting down all the collectibles. Very fun, though the RTS portions and how long it takes to get anywhere, even with the Deuce maxed out, is a little annoying for that.

Also, has anyone else managed to get the Boar Bather trophy/achievement thing?

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-17, 11:22 PM
My solution to brides was Razor Girls. And Facemelting Solos.

Both work very well.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-17, 11:28 PM

Both work very well.

Really? I found that an axe to the face worked just fine.

Arbitrarity
2009-10-17, 11:43 PM
Personally, I didn't see what the big freakin' deal is with the meat circus level. Everybody I've ever heard says it's the hardest freaking thing in the history of videogames or at the least VERY hard, but I found it as easy as the rest of the game. :smallconfused: No offense.

The Floating Fire Fence. Particularly since I didn't get how to use levitation properly on it.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-17, 11:48 PM
Really? I found that an axe to the face worked just fine.

That too. But the solo in particular is a much faster way of dispatching them.

Warpfire
2009-10-18, 02:32 PM

Both work very well.

Man, Facemelting solos are crazy awesome. Seriously, you can pretty much eliminate an entire attacking force of Gravediggers with one solo. I don't think I'm ever going to use a guitar besides the one that reduces solo cooldown, just so I can melt more faces.

Also super awesome: the anti buff/debuff solo. Question: does it prevent the whole minion healing for hierarchy units thing the Tainted Coil has going on? Right about to play the first major battle with them.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-18, 03:41 PM
Sigh, When I saw Jack Black on it I wanted to vomit. Seriously, that guy is a tweed. I have no idea what that means, but yeah, he is one. He is the least metal celebrity I can think of. Seriously, Tenacious D has, one metal song, and one song about metal. It's like he's a poser, and no one sees it but me.
Not to mention the tracklist. I scoured it looking for good songs, and, well, yup, they took the songs from the bands there that you would expect them to. There's no creativity in the sound track, it's just what will grab your attention because it's popular metal.
Don't get me started on everything that is wrong with them using Her Ghost in the Fog, I will kill someone.

Track list aside, I've been informed a couple times it plays like a(technically grammatically accurate) RTS. Big mistake. If I'm playing a game about crazy mythology thrown into heavy metal, I want it to be metal! I want some badass satanic licks thrown in to me mashing buttons to decapitate the sorcerer queen of the fifth layer of hell.
And I should be doing it, BY.MY.SELF. Not with some stupid horde of morons.

Jahkaivah
2009-10-18, 04:18 PM
Sigh, When I saw Jack Black on it I wanted to vomit. Seriously, that guy is a tweed. I have no idea what that means, but yeah, he is one. He is the least metal celebrity I can think of. Seriously, Tenacious D has, one metal song, and one song about metal. It's like he's a poser, and no one sees it but me.

That's one of two things I found ironic (though prehaps intentional) about the intro to the game.

1, It laments the decline of a genre when the game itself abandoned a platform that is said* to be in decline.

2, Jack Black pretty much admits he's a figurehead.

*Not by me mind you.

Stormthorn
2009-10-18, 06:52 PM
Man, Facemelting solos are crazy awesome. Seriously, you can pretty much eliminate an entire attacking force of Gravediggers with one solo. I don't think I'm ever going to use a guitar besides the one that reduces solo cooldown, just so I can melt more faces.

Facemelt this.

Facemelt that.

I prefer this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkt5iY5ULc)

I ko'd the final boss with that solo.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-10-18, 07:57 PM
Not to mention the tracklist. I scoured it looking for good songs, and, well, yup, they took the songs from the bands there that you would expect them to. There's no creativity in the sound track, it's just what will grab your attention because it's popular metal.
Don't get me started on everything that is wrong with them using Her Ghost in the Fog, I will kill someone.

Track list aside, I've been informed a couple times it plays like a(technically grammatically accurate) RTS. Big mistake. If I'm playing a game about crazy mythology thrown into heavy metal, I want it to be metal! I want some badass satanic licks thrown in to me mashing buttons to decapitate the sorcerer queen of the fifth layer of hell.
And I should be doing it, BY.MY.SELF. Not with some stupid horde of morons.

Wow

So you won't be buying the game I take it?

I was going to retaliate against this post, but frankly when I found that I disagree'd with everything you said, I realized it wouldn't be worth it.

Stormthorn
2009-10-18, 10:52 PM
Wow

I was going to retaliate against this post, but frankly when I found that I disagree'd with everything you said, I realized it wouldn't be worth it.

Seconded.

Hatedom can be fun to sit back and watch writh about tho.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-18, 11:45 PM
Wow

It happens.

Stormthorn
2009-10-19, 12:08 AM
Anybody else have trouble with the first Drowning Doom level? I just beat it, but it took me a few tries for some reason. Those goddamn brides. If I leave them alone, all my troops get massacred because of the debuffs. If I attack them, then all my troops get hit with lightning. My solution: Rock Kick them far away and then murder them.

My problem is those heads that shoot hair at you. They kill your avatar in what? Four hits? And they have a lot of range and health (sniper tanks unit i guess) and dont seem to stagger much.

Brides? I throw lightning of my own at them.
With my lighning upgraded guitar. Then i slaughter the gravediggers en masse with my chain lightning axe.
My back is made of electricity.

Also, LASER PANTHERS!

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-19, 12:45 AM
Oh my, I need that Zeppelin solo. Must go find it. It's too awesome to not have.

And you know which Drowning Doom unit I hate? Ratguts. I hate them. They kill you so fast, and take quite a bit of damage to kill.

Ziren
2009-10-19, 07:02 AM
My problem is those heads that shoot hair at you. They kill your avatar in what? Four hits? And they have a lot of range and health (sniper tanks unit i guess) and dont seem to stagger much.

Just run them over with the Druid Plow. At max armor this stuns them and a couple of Bolt Thrower shots should get them down.

Anyway, I think multiplayerwise Drowning Doom is hideously underpowered. The Shadow Blast is by far the weakest of the direct damage attacks, they've got no healing unit and the Light of Dawn solo completely negates their whole faction concept.
Though it might also just be that I'm that bad at playing them.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-19, 08:13 AM
Awesome. I found all the solos, all the legends, and all the motor forges. Now to work on getting some more fire tributes. Those upgrades won't buy themselves.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't really want a sequel to this? Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome game and a sequel would probably be pretty cool, but... I dunno. It just feels like everything was nicely wrapped up, and it's not necessary to continue the story.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-19, 08:13 AM
I can't wait to get my 360 so I can buy and play this game!

Kris Strife
2009-10-19, 09:49 AM
Hey, does the chapters option let you keep the upgrades you found? Because I had some trouble with some of the drowning doom battles, and I didn't get Rock Block or the Break of Day solo until after I beat the game... But yeah, Bring it on Home is probably my favorite solo so far.

As far as sequals go: There is the fact that at the end, Ophelia's tear is obviously a Black Tear and the Sea hasn't been sealed up. And although they've lost their emperor, the Tainted Coil is still around and I'm certain they can just promote someone else to the position. It wouldn't be the first time after all. A sibling of Eddie's perhaps?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-19, 02:06 PM
It even says in the mission statement after you've beaten Doviculus that "this Brutal land is safe...for now."

Green-Shirt Q
2009-10-19, 03:00 PM
I like this game a whole lot, but I have to admit that the gameplay aspect of it is getting on my nerves a little bit.

I really like all the hack n slash Battleaxe gameplay and how varied it is with all the different combos and special moves, and really like the sections of the game where you're basically alone and fighting just with the axe, but those moments don't seem to come that often, at least not at the point I'm at. Also, because of your dependence on your teammates in the RTS sections, Eddie is a little weak. He can't take too many hits, and without a health meter it's hard to tell his limit.

I like the car sections okay, but the car is a little frustrating because of how big it is and how narrow the roads can be sometimes. Like at one point of the game I wasfleeing the pleasure tower in a big ol' hurry because of these giant monsters and my car got stuck sideways right in front of the exit of a narrow tunnel. It took almost an hour to get the car unstuck. And because of where I was in the game I was put under a lot of pressure to go fast.

Finally, the RTS sections. Now, I am not a fan of RTS with the exception of Pikmin, so these were pretty new to me. I felt the the controls for these were so friggen complex I kept forgetting which buttons summon what things. Of course then again I am generally used to the Nintendo Wii controls and don't play a lot of 360, so that could be that. I am a little annoyed at the RTS sections, but I think I got the hang of them now and especially with the ability to fly gained in the game these could potentially be a lot of fun.

However, it's the humour and the storyline that keep me coming back for more. Jack Black has almost perfect comedic timing with every line that I'm willing to plow through to the end just for that. :smallbiggrin:

Also, for those talking about a sequel, I don't think that's how things are going to be. I don't remember where I read this, but I think I read somewhere that Tim Shafer hates making game sequels.

Warpfire
2009-10-19, 03:31 PM
I'm kind of hoping for a sequel just because this one was so short.

And the last level was disappointing. Seriously, it was probably the easiest Stage Battle since the glam metal levels. The final boss wasn't much better.

Also, I didn't like that

The game ended at the Sea of Black Tears. Maybe its just me, but I would have liked it better if there was some kind of invasion of Tainted Coil territory or something like that. Or maybe just a retaking of Bladehenge.

Wish I got more solos before beating the game. Especially Bring It On Home.

Ziren
2009-10-19, 03:41 PM

And the last level was disappointing. Seriously, it was probably the easiest Stage Battle since the glam metal levels. The final boss wasn't much better.

I found the stage battle quite challenging until the point at which I realised that he wouldn't send any strong units at me as long as I stayed away from the heads. But the game is quite easy in every aspect, I never had to try any mission more than three times (except some of the races).

Also, I didn't like that

The game ended at the Sea of Black Tears. Maybe its just me, but I would have liked it better if there was some kind of invasion of Tainted Coil territory or something like that. Or maybe just a retaking of Bladehenge.

I felt the same way...

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-19, 05:23 PM
As far as sequals go: There is the fact that at the end, Ophelia's tear is obviously a Black Tear and the Sea hasn't been sealed up. And although they've lost their emperor, the Tainted Coil is still around and I'm certain they can just promote someone else to the position. It wouldn't be the first time after all. A sibling of Eddie's perhaps?

I don't think Eddie had any siblings. His mom died in childbirth, according to the Legends. As for the black tear, I think that may just be a remnant of the curse. A harmless side effect, so to speak. Could be wrong, of course.

Also, I didn't like that

Wish I got more solos before beating the game. Especially Bring It On Home.

Yeah, but I don't mind the shortness given how much awesome was packed into it. I know I'll be replaying this game a few times just for the story. Especially that one cutscene, just before the dry ice mines...

The last level and final boss were kind of easy, got to say. But the mission just prior to that is one of only two that I ever messed up. So I welcomed a bit of a respite.

Though you're right about the sea. I was kind of hoping for a foray into tainted coil land to knock a few heads together. Though a retaking of Bladehenge probably would have worked nicely, instead.

And yeah, I missed quite a few solos until after the game was over.

Stormthorn
2009-10-20, 12:44 AM
As far as sequals go:

Well, that black tear isnt suprising. She has Sea in the blood from her parents and she spent some time fully submerged in it. I wouldnt be suprised if she was actualy a zombie now and could survive losing a limb or two. And Eddie went into it too now.

Also, am i alone in interpreting Drowned Ophelia as essentialy being Ophelia? Riggs seemed like he was sure it was a different person when he finds O 1.0 but i saw 2.0 as an otherwise perfect clone only different in that she is wearing "the world sucks" colored glasses. Perhaps even the comatose 1.0 was mentaly controling her tainted clone.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-20, 05:33 AM
Well, that black tear isnt suprising. She has Sea in the blood from her parents and she spent some time fully submerged in it. I wouldnt be suprised if she was actualy a zombie now and could survive losing a limb or two. And Eddie went into it too now.

Also, am i alone in interpreting Drowned Ophelia as essentialy being Ophelia? Riggs seemed like he was sure it was a different person when he finds O 1.0 but i saw 2.0 as an otherwise perfect clone only different in that she is wearing "the world sucks" colored glasses. Perhaps even the comatose 1.0 was mentaly controling her tainted clone.

I would. She certainly looks alive enough, and Eddie wasn't in there all that ling.

Also, I believe what he said was "I knew that wasn't the real you." And it wasn't. Whether Ophelia was mentally controlling it or not, it was still a manifestation of her anger and vindictiveness. It certainly held no love for Eddie, as the real one did.

Kris Strife
2009-10-20, 06:39 AM
I don't think Eddie had any siblings. His mom died in childbirth, according to the Legends. As for the black tear, I think that may just be a remnant of the curse. A harmless side effect, so to speak. Could be wrong, of course.

Nothing ever said she didn't have children before hands. According to what Diviculous said, she had lovers before, and considering all the non hierarchy Tainted Coil Units are supposed to be his children from the battle nuns (listen to what they say when he approaches one for unit production), I wouldn't be suprised to learn Succoria had children before she went to the future at all.

And I don't think she's a zombie or anything, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of bizzare Tainted Coil/Drowning Doom hybrid race lead by the DECAPITATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED head of Diviculous in a sequal, or something from all three of them actually being sumberged in the sea, considering everyone else only drank some of it.

Nevrmore
2009-10-20, 08:17 AM
Say what you will about any other aspect of the game, but this is plan BS. Show me any casual listener of music who has heard of Angel Witch, Brocas Helm, or 3 Inches of Blood and I will show you a cow that shoots laser gold from its udders. Of course there is a good portion of the soundtrack made up of songs by popular bands, because popular bands have made good music. But accusing the game of not having a creative set list is demanding of it something that is almost not physically possible.

thorgrim29
2009-10-20, 11:47 AM
What would they call a possible sequel? Brütaler Legend? And yeah, the game felt like it was 2/3, maybe 3/4 done storywise when it ended. I expected Having to retake all the land from the pleasure tower to Bladehenge, and then DECAPITATIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGG!!!!!!!! Doviculous

But still, it was awesome. Now I've got to get 100% completion.... BTW, is the Tollusk one the last hunt mission? Because I finished it, the hunter's gone, but I didn't get the acheivement for some reason.....

Ziren
2009-10-20, 12:03 PM
What would they call a possible sequel? Brütaler Legend? And yeah, the game felt like it was 2/3, maybe 3/4 done storywise when it ended. I expected Having to retake all the land from the pleasure tower to Bladehenge, and then DECAPITATIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGG!!!!!!!! Doviculous

But still, it was awesome. Now I've got to get 100% completion.... BTW, is the Tollusk one the last hunt mission? Because I finished it, the hunter's gone, but I didn't get the acheivement for some reason.....

Nope. He's in the snow area now.

I'm currently at 97%, with 20 dragons, four songs and one kump to go. By the way, have you guys found any secret stuff after the game ended? So far I've found the beach party, the groundhog "party", lita and the Metal Beast riders.

Kris Strife
2009-10-20, 06:50 PM
Nope. He's in the snow area now.

I'm currently at 97%, with 20 dragons, four songs and one kump to go. By the way, have you guys found any secret stuff after the game ended? So far I've found the beach party, the groundhog "party", lita and the Metal Beast riders.

Beach Party has been there pretty much the whole time actually. Ophelia is by the giant celtic cross thing, and you can go up Killmaster's mountain for one of those things as well. I haven't seen the groundhog party thing, nor have I been able to find the Baron or Mangus.

Stormthorn
2009-10-20, 07:43 PM
Darn dragon statues. I found some things that like kinda like bound dragons only different and i cant free them despite Eddiesaying it looks like something wants out. So far I have a long list of things that didnt work.

Battle Cray Solo
Fire Burst from Guitar
Lightning from guitar
Bring It On Home solo
Facemelter Solo
flaming slide attack
normal melee attacks
charged melee attacks
Hitting it in my car
Shooting it with lightning from my car
Shooting it with bullets form my car
My cars fire burst secondary
Shooting it with a shoulder-mounted Razor Girl

DrunkMonkGar
2009-10-20, 08:11 PM
Darn dragon statues. I found some things that like kinda like bound dragons only different and i cant free them despite Eddiesaying it looks like something wants out. So far I have a long list of things that didnt work.

Battle Cray Solo
Fire Burst from Guitar
Lightning from guitar
Bring It On Home solo
Facemelter Solo
flaming slide attack
normal melee attacks
charged melee attacks
Hitting it in my car
Shooting it with lightning from my car
Shooting it with bullets form my car
My cars fire burst secondary
Shooting it with a shoulder-mounted Razor Girl

Does it look like one of the Solo monuments? It's probably a Legend, use Earthshaker on it. It took me until after the Pleasure Tower to find out how to unlock them from another forum.

Stormthorn
2009-10-20, 08:40 PM
Doesnt do much good now. I only had the game rented and it has been returned.

Oddly enough, as i was oging to return it that guy who voices the Killmaster just happened to be a guest on a late night radio...thing.
People would call in with sex related problems and him, a sexologist kinda guy, and a normal radio host would offer advice.

I want to buy the game. But im just not sure. I beat it so quickly and the multiplayer is the RTS element. I only ever play those sorts of things against AI.

Ziren
2009-10-21, 12:07 AM
Beach Party has been there pretty much the whole time actually. Ophelia is by the giant celtic cross thing, and you can go up Killmaster's mountain for one of those things as well. I haven't seen the groundhog party thing, nor have I been able to find the Baron or Mangus.

Yeah, but you can't join the beach party before you finish the game. And with the "Groundhog" I meant Thunderhog so that refered to the thing on the Killmaster's mountain. The Killmaster himself doesn't seem to be there, though.
Mangus can be found if you look through the landmark viewer in Bladehenge.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-21, 04:03 AM
The Killmaster is there, but he's up just under the giant metal spider with his Bass, not sitting on one of the chairs.

Kris Strife
2009-10-21, 05:16 AM
What about Baron? I can't find him anywhere.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-21, 05:30 AM
I haven't actually found him, but all the other characters showed up where or near where you met them. Maybe try the mountains?

Kris Strife
2009-10-21, 06:18 AM
I haven't actually found him, but all the other characters showed up where or near where you met them. Maybe try the mountains?

Already looked for him there, had to go there to finish up the Overkill and Race Fleetus quest lines.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-21, 08:26 AM
Found him. He's by the wraith tree on the road to the sea of black tears. Just parked by the side of the road.

Also, if you thought the boar bather achievement was annoying, try getting the quill tosser one. Damned tollusks...

Kris Strife
2009-10-21, 08:28 AM
Actually, the hardest part of Boar Bather was how long it took. I got bored on the trip. :smallannoyed: :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-21, 08:35 AM
I had to do it three times cause my boar kept getting killed. Didn't take that long once I had the route down.

Narudude360
2009-10-21, 02:42 PM

If it moves, kill it in a blinding rage of fury, blood, gore, explosions, and godly powers. If it doesn't move, kill it anyway.

thorgrim29
2009-10-21, 02:49 PM
I had to do it three times cause my boar kept getting killed. Didn't take that long once I had the route down.

Why didn't you just summon one?

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-21, 04:43 PM
Because the animal summoning solo always summoned tollusks when I played it. Which was once. I hardly ever used that solo >.>

Ziren
2009-10-21, 05:16 PM
Because the animal summoning solo always summoned tollusks when I played it. Which was once. I hardly ever used that solo >.>

I always used that solo on the sneak attack sidequests. Though it became somewhat worse when it summond Guilotons instead some useful animal (it always summons the kind of animal you killed in the last hunter quest you finished).

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-22, 04:17 AM
So it's going to be summoning Hextadons now? That's actually kinda badass...

Kris Strife
2009-10-22, 05:26 AM
Just one actually.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-22, 05:42 AM
only if I use the solo once ever. After that, I will have used it to summon Hextadons. Just not two at the same time.

And it's still badass. :smalltongue:

Arcane_Snowman
2009-10-22, 05:47 AM
I prefer the FACEMELTERRRRRR!

Kris Strife
2009-10-22, 06:03 AM
only if I use the solo once ever. After that, I will have used it to summon Hextadons. Just not two at the same time.

And it's still badass. :smalltongue:

Indeed.

I prefer the FACEMELTERRRRRR!

Bring it on home is better, not only because it hits a wider range and can kill enemy avatars and things that don't have faces, but because it will still hit even if you die right after finishing the solo. Makes a great 'F--- You!' if you're loosing a highly contested spot.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-22, 08:07 AM
Bring it on home is better, not only because it hits a wider range and can kill enemy avatars and things that don't have faces, but because it will still hit even if you die right after finishing the solo. Makes a great 'F--- You!' if you're loosing a highly contested spot.

Plus, it's a giant flaming zeppelin. Fire is metal, Zeppelins are metal, and thus what we have here is really f---ing metal! I love that solo.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-22, 08:17 AM
I always used that solo on the sneak attack sidequests. Though it became somewhat worse when it summond Guilotons instead some useful animal (it always summons the kind of animal you killed in the last hunter quest you finished).

Honestly I stopped at the laser panthers. One you get that thing unlocked, you will rape every single stage.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-10-22, 09:16 PM
Bring it on home is better, not only because it hits a wider range and can kill enemy avatars and things that don't have faces, but because it will still hit even if you die right after finishing the solo. Makes a great 'F--- You!' if you're loosing a highly contested spot. Oh, I agree, it just took me ages to find the solo, so the Facemelter had time to grow on me.

Kris Strife
2009-10-23, 04:31 AM
Same here, but I'd read about bring it on home in the instruction manual and was looking foreward to that the whole game. Face Melter is a good initial anti-infantry blast, but follow it up with bring it on home before going into melee with a soul sucking ax.

Ziren
2009-10-23, 08:58 AM
Same here, but I'd read about bring it on home in the instruction manual and was looking foreward to that the whole game. Face Melter is a good initial anti-infantry blast, but follow it up with bring it on home before going into melee with a soul sucking ax.

I liked the Black Tear axe more.

So, what do you guys think of the multiplayer? Correcting my statement from before, I have to admit that Drowning Doom are actually worthy opponents to Ironheade. Tainted Coil seems to destroy both of them, though. The Bleeding Death is a lot stronger than Treeback and Rock Crusher, even with the rarely noticeable disadvantage of not being directly controlable. And before the first one dies, you are pretty much guaranteed to have harvested enough fans for another one to drop right in front of your opponents stage. Not to mention their upgraded tier II units...

Kris Strife
2009-10-23, 09:29 AM
As for the chapters option: It does get rid of anything you've obtained since that point legend, upgrade and solo wise. Fortunantly, I backed my game up to a flash drive before loading from a chapter.

Ziren
2009-10-24, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell me where the landmark viewer for the giant battleaxe can be found? It's the last one I'm missing, and I searched for it for almost an hour now...

Hann
2009-10-24, 05:03 PM
And Lo, Hann provided a link from the Metal Gods themselves...

http://achievementhunter.com/games/guides/brutallegend/

If anyone wants to play online, my Gamertag is HannShotFirst. Xbox360 of course.

Ziren
2009-10-24, 05:56 PM
And Lo, Hann provided a link from the Metal Gods themselves...

http://achievementhunter.com/games/guides/brutallegend/

If anyone wants to play online, my Gamertag is HannShotFirst. Xbox360 of course.

Those sneaky bastards! Every other landmark that is shown on the map has a viewer connected to it.

But thanks for that map, now I can even do the 120 serpents and 100% achievements, which I planned to skip before.

Hann
2009-10-26, 01:10 AM
No prob. It's why I'm here.

Only achievements I need are 10 and 50 wins, and the 250,000 fans spent one.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-26, 08:19 AM
I don't have live, so I can't get any of the multiplayer achievements. This makes me sad. I have to find a wild Hextadon for the beast master achievement, and I need to dig up 4 more buried metal and find a bunch of bound serpents...

Lots of achievements to go, still. You know this is the only game that's actually made me regret not having live?

Ziren
2009-10-26, 11:50 AM
I don't have live, so I can't get any of the multiplayer achievements. This makes me sad. I have to find a wild Hextadon for the beast master achievement, and I need to dig up 4 more buried metal and find a bunch of bound serpents...

Lots of achievements to go, still. You know this is the only game that's actually made me regret not having live?

Apparently you can't get the stage concept art in AI training, so the 100% campaign might also be out of reach for you. As it is for me, until I get myself XBL because I really want to play online. This game as well as Street Fighter 4.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-26, 03:07 PM
Don't see why it should be. Campaign completion ought to be separate from any of the multiplayer stuff.

I do really want live now though.

Ziren
2009-10-26, 04:27 PM
Don't see why it should be. Campaign completion ought to be separate from any of the multiplayer stuff.

I do really want live now though.

You need all Ironheade concept art for a 100% game. Most of them are obtained during the campaign or by recruting a certain number of certain units, but one is gained by standing on the stage for some time (~5 minutes, according to achievement hunter). I stood for more than ten minutes on stage in AI practice and didn't get anything.
While it might be possible to get the artpiece in single player, one would have to do it before finishing the campaign. Unless Jack and Geoff just didn't get the time right and I need to stand there a little more.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-26, 05:14 PM
Perhaps you need to use the stages double-team defenses. I've never tried using those, so...