PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Invoker: Help with implement and feat choices

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-08, 08:57 AM
I'm working on a level 5 Dwarf Wrathful Invoker of the Raven Queen, and I'm not sure whether I want rods or staffs for my implement of choice. I'd also like some help choosing my feats.

Stats: 8, 17, 10, 10, 20, 10. We rolled 3d6 in order, and then got to use 18 points on top of that, so these are pretty well stuck where they are.

Powers: Hand of Radiance, Visions of Blood, Lightning's Revelation, Silent Malediction, Miraculous Fortune, Chains of Carceri, Lamentation of the Wicked.

So, I definitely want Implement Expertise. Other than that, I've been looking at Distant Advantage, Improved Initiative, Invoker Defense, Power of Winter (not sure how I feel about making Hand of Radiance cold instead of radiant, but +2 damage is nice), Scouring Wrath, and Toughness.

What do you guys think? The stats are pretty set, although I could throw a few extra points in something besides Wis and Con if somebody makes a good case for it. The problem was my 3d6 rolls were a total -3 mod, and he said we could re-roll if we got -4 or worse.

Angelmaker
2009-10-08, 09:08 AM
Not wanting to start a discussion here, I am not profound in the knowledge of invoking.

What do you guys think? The stats are pretty set, although I could throw a few extra points in something besides Wis and Con if somebody makes a good case for it. The problem was my 3d6 rolls were a total -3 mod, and he said we could re-roll if we got -4 or worse.
But THIS is why I absolutely prefer point buy systems. This just seems unfair. D&D 4th edition is pretty much about balancing everything out. If you have a player rolling up three natural 18īs he can pretty much solo anything on his level, with a main attribute of 24 ( after investing some points and adding race modifier ). :smallconfused:

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-08, 09:13 AM
18 is the cap before racials, but yeah I'm gonna be a lot weaker than the guy who rolled a minimum of 11 on his stats. It was an interesting idea to get a bit of variance on what the stats look like, but I think I'd have preferred 4d6b3 at least.

Guinea Anubis
2009-10-08, 09:38 AM
I am a fan of staffs my self.

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-08, 10:02 AM
If you're willing to multiclass to an arcane class, you can pick up Dual Implement Mastery and dual-wield rods and get both implement bonuses.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-08, 10:46 AM
Show me an Arcane class with Wisdom or Constitution as their primary stat and I might consider it. You may have noticed that all my others are 10 or worse. :smallwink:

Edit: Hmm I forgot about Warlock since I usually prefer Feylocks and think of them as Cha primary. Could be interesting to MC into Star/Hell/Vestige Warlock. Still probably not worth Dual Implement Spellcaster, since it requires Dex 13 and only works on arcane powers, but I may MC just because I like it.

Kurald Galain
2009-10-08, 11:11 AM
18 is the cap before racials, but yeah I'm gonna be a lot weaker than the guy who rolled a minimum of 11 on his stats.
I wouldn't worry about that. You've got two very good stats (the 17 and the 20) and that's what matters to your build.

I may MC just because I like it.
I would suggest that you do, because an MC feat is very useful to nearly every character. Just not for the dual implement :smallcool:

Other than that, I've been looking at Distant Advantage, Improved Initiative, Invoker Defense, Power of Winter (not sure how I feel about making Hand of Radiance cold instead of radiant, but +2 damage is nice), Scouring Wrath, and Toughness.
Toughness is nice at level 1-3 but good to train out later (also, assuming your defender does his job, you're not supposed to be hit much). Distant advantage is mainly for rogues; you don't need it as long as you have area effect powers. Imp Initiative is very good for any controller. Personally I would forego the +2 damage and instead focus on nasty status afflictions.

Aron Times
2009-10-08, 11:12 AM
I prefer staves to rods. The Staff of Ruin is my favorite one due to its incredible boost to damage. It's in the Adventurer's Vault, and it grants an item bonus to damage rolls equal to its enhancement bonus; a Staff of Ruin +1 grants a +1 bonus to attack rolls and a +2 bonus to damage rolls.

Master_Rahl22
2009-10-08, 11:48 AM
What I meant by weaker is that if I had a regular point buy, I could throw a 13 in Strength so I can pick up Armor Proficiency (Scale), or 13 in Dex and Cha to grab Astral Fire since I have lots of radiant powers, or even a 13 in any stat so I could MC anywhere I want instead of just into a Con or Wis class.

Regarding MC, I don't like the Cleric MC feat in PHB, but several of the MC feats in DP look tasty. Divine Healer could be nice for some extra healing boosts, and Soldier of Virtue would be awesome, letting me remove status conditions 5 times a day. Wow, actually I may go ahead and grab Soldier of Virtue for one of my first 3, in addition to Implement Expertise. Improved Initiative sounds good too, so there are my feats.

Are staffs the general consesus for implements?

DiscipleofBob
2009-10-08, 03:47 PM
Like I said, I prefer rods, but there aren't a lot of good ones for Invokers so staves might be your best choice.