PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction: Guerrilla

Celesyne
2009-10-08, 09:11 AM
I haven't seen a post about this game yet, and seeing as some of the game magazines are bashing it, I figured I'd drop by and give my opinion and see if any of the Playgrounders are enjoying it as well.

First off, if your the kind of gamer who bought GTA: Vice City or San Andreas and never completed more of the game than was necessary to unlock the entire world map. Simply because you spent all of your time play causing absolute mayhem and wreaking terrible destruction: You will love this game.

If your a Fanboi of Red Factions storyline: skip, the storyline is decent and somewhat compelling but isn't exactly what one would expect going from the 2nd game to this one (if my ailing memory serves that is)

I've personally been playing the game for about 2 days now, and though I have progressed a fair ways into the story, I spend far more of my time simply blowing as many buildings and EDF soldiers I can into space dust. To me this is what games need more of, completely destructable environs. That wall in your way? Take out your sledgehammer and smash yourself a hole, or drive your vehicle through it, or blow it up with a remote mining charge/rocket launcher/Nano Rifle. Soldiers harassing you with a Machine Gun emplacement on top of a tower? Take out all the support struts and watch them come crumbling down. And don't forget not only is it fun and strategically helpful. The game actually rewards you with your currency "Salvage" for blowing things up!!

So, enough of me rambling about my slightly *cough*Massively*cough* self-destructive pyromaniacal tendancys. Speak highly, or negatively, of the game, discuss problems, ask questions, exchange favorite demolitions methods. And remember, Its not fun unless you can blow everything the #@$% up!

Comet
2009-10-08, 09:27 AM
One of my favourite elements of the game was the Road Warrior-esque scenery and vehicles. And blowing stuff up.

But the sledgehammer is above everything else. It's just so damnably epic. Laughably powerful. Totally, massively manly.

See an enemy hiding behind a corner, taking shots at you with his rifle? Take out your hammer, run straight at the guy, leap to the air at the last moment and crush the infidel with a single blow. If you're lucky, you'll take the entire corner down as a bonus.

So what if he managed to shoot you about fifty times. You're the symbol of the rebellion, a messiah of the red planet. Your hammer makes your cause righteous and your might beyond that of mortals. Fight the power! Follow the hammer! For freedom!

Sorry, got a bit excited there. It is a reasonably fun game, tho. I really should get back to it one of these days.

Jahkaivah
2009-10-08, 09:39 AM
I'm just excited to see how the Gorillas are going to work into this. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/911-Red-Faction-Guerilla)

Celesyne
2009-10-08, 09:52 AM
WoW, that video is gold... I actually cracked up and about fell out of my chair at the end. I actually made the exact same MC Hammer joke at that point.......

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 01:22 PM
This is a good game.

Escpecialy if you like stuff blowing up.

Im just sorry it took ym so long to figure out proximity mines. The game lets you place a maximum number of liek twice what you can carry at once. Which led to an ambush consisting up of max proximity mines, max demolition charges, and a few cars, all piled onto the road.

Cue EDF partol.

I was on top of a cliff.

One of the cars went higher than I was, and it didnt come back down for a noticable period of time.

Celesyne
2009-10-08, 05:20 PM
2 questions, Anyone found one of the elusive and rarely referenced to Singularity bombs and where can I find one?

Also, I just got a Sledgehammer upgrade... whats the point to it? Not like it does more damage to people.....

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 06:12 PM
2 questions, Anyone found one of the elusive and rarely referenced to Singularity bombs and where can I find one?

Also, I just got a Sledgehammer upgrade... whats the point to it? Not like it does more damage to people.....

2 answers.

Sometimes they spawn in EDF buildings on the tables. In one misison (i think in Dust) you have a very good chance if finding some in some priority target EDF officer housing.

Sledgehammer upgrades break buildings/vehicles faster. Bothing like killing a tank with a sledgehammer.
If you just want to kill people with a melee weapon make one of your slots the Gutter (i think thats what its called). It has a faster swing and wider range. It also looks cooler if you do one of the attacks while running.

littlebottom
2009-10-08, 06:18 PM
yeah, i love the game, and the previous redfaction games, i absolutely love the real physics on it, ok so sometimes, it stays up when you think it should of fallen down by now, but the amount of ways to go about 1 mission is unbelieveable, for example, one mission where you have to kill about 6 guys in a meeting, with armed guards around, you can snipe from the next building over, you can blow up all the cars so none can escape and set traps everywhere, or just charge in in a walker, or.... stand underneath them and shoot the nano rifle at the floor they are standing on so they fall through and you smash them in the head, etc etc, i think its great :smallbiggrin:

i preordered it and will be in my top 10 for the rest of time i feel and being a gamer all my life, my top 10 is an exclusive club :smallbiggrin:

Celesyne
2009-10-08, 07:17 PM
Ahh, I took down that building in a much more conventional way. Large heavy vehicle pre-mined with 6 remote-det charges. I rammed it throught the side of a building as far as I can, jumped out, and blew the charges. Took out 3 quarters of the building, my tri-rocket launcher and more remote-det charges took out the last of it.

Stormthorn
2009-10-08, 10:15 PM
go about 1 mission is unbelieveable, for example, one mission where you have to kill about 6 guys in a meeting, with armed guards around, you can snipe from the next building over, you can blow up all the cars so none can escape and set traps everywhere, or just charge in in a walker, or.... stand underneath them and shoot the nano rifle at the floor they are standing on so they fall through and you smash them in the head, etc etc, i think its great

Is this the one in the building with the indestructable supports and no walls since its unfinished?

You can also nano-rifle the metal struts holding the giant metal rings on top of the building in place. Rings fall, everyone dies.

Or snipe from a lower floor straight through the floor with a Rail rifle.

You can angle a thermobaric rocket into the floor they are on.

Jetpack up into where they are and run them down one at a time with a melee weapon.

littlebottom
2009-10-09, 07:03 PM
yep that was the one i was talking about, its great, theres so many ways to do a single mission, its fun to play again and again :smallbiggrin:

one of my personal favorites is using the gravity wells, (what they called again?) they make me laugh so hard, dropping a couple the floor or so below and running away, just watching them suck everything in and what they miss they hit with all the debris, :smalltongue: problem is, you have to get into the second or so floor without being spotted... ah well, its not too hard.

so how does everyone go about their favorite missions? (or just blowing up buildings in their favorite ways?)

Cleverdan22
2009-10-09, 07:31 PM
I personally loved the game. I beat it a few weeks back, and had a blast with the whole thing. The story was kinda weak, but I didn't really need a story to go with this game. The physics were great, the combat was solid, and the hammer was awesome. That's basically what I was looking for and expecting when I picked it up. Also, Jenkins? Best character ever.

Stormthorn
2009-10-10, 08:03 PM
so how does everyone go about their favorite missions? (or just blowing up buildings in their favorite ways?)

I once placed all my proximity and demo charges in an EDF priority target and then snuck out of the building without getting noticed.
30 seconds later an EDF officer walks in the building.
Building demolished.

Celesyne
2009-10-10, 09:47 PM
I took out the Arc Reactor in Oasis without ever hitting it. I was running from the guards on a red alert, and they drove their vehicles into the explosive tank thingys and blew apart the reactor and both the guard towers.

littlebottom
2009-10-10, 10:37 PM
i did one once, a high priority building with 2 lower priority "buildings" which were towers, i set the towers to blow on the side facing the building and blew it, they toppled over and destroyed the high priority building too :smalltongue: